Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1095758576461713409

oh my god getting Trump to veto because you included backpay is like an absolute dream scenario for democrats

Jesus this is a ghoulish perspective. We're talking about a tremendous amount of unnecessary human suffering and your reaction is to gloat about the potential political gains. Not cool dude, not cool at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Hastings posted:

How do you argue that certain citizens should not be paid, especially for a gently caress up you did?

I got you fam.

Just sell it as Trump and the Republican saviors saving the taxpayers hundreds of millions by duping those DemocRat contract suckers out of their pay and thus gaining America free work!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/ElizLanders/status/1095753339441213441

What she is referring to

quote:

The Saturday afternoon incident in Phoenix, which was captured on video, revived long-standing anxieties about xenophobic and white supremacist rhetoric used by a fringe faction within the GOP nominee’s base. A man confronted reporters at the rally with shouts and a three-fingered hand gesture that resembled hate symbols flagged by the Anti-Defamation League.
“You’re going down! You’re the enemy!” the man yelled. As the rest of the crowd broke into a chant of “USA! USA!,” the man repeatedly chanted, “Jew-S-A! Jew-S-A!”The man, who wore a “Hillary for Prison” T-shirt, asserted that Jews control the media, a common theme among white supremacists.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/dylanmatt/status/1095770074135347201

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1095758576461713409

oh my god getting Trump to veto because you included backpay is like an absolute dream scenario for democrats

It's cute that Trump still thinks he has bargaining chips.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Why wasn’t this their first response? Even if you feel like Omar needed to play the game, talk to her behind the scenes instead of excoriating your own for something that’s dishonest and won’t even give you political points.

edit: i know why, i’m just yelling into the void

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 13, 2019

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Prester Jane posted:

Jesus this is a ghoulish perspective. We're talking about a tremendous amount of unnecessary human suffering and your reaction is to gloat about the potential political gains. Not cool dude, not cool at all.

i read it more as "holy poo poo he's that loving stupid"

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Your Taint posted:

tbf saying "I don't know why we should believe anything you say" and not giving the guy a chance to respond is kind of a dick move. Good on her, though.

The man is a mass murderer and any civilized society would have dealt what the him by now.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Radish posted:

Jake Tapper has been retweeting CNN reporters saying how angry Omar is while brushing off their bullshit tweet questions all afternoon. Dude hates her so much he can't even hide it.

Dems hosed up bad.

He retweets loving everything, 24 hrs a day. It's a both sides bot account, for all intents and purposes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

i am the bird posted:

Why wasn’t this their first response? Even if you feel like Omar needed to play the game, talk to her behind the scenes instead of excoriating your own for something that’s dishonest and won’t even give you political points.

As a consequence of the Republican Party going full fascist, the Democrats are now the big tent party of leftists, discernibly leftward politicians, and cEnTrIsTs.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
If any of you want to know what an absolute ghoul Elliot Abrams is and why he should be immediately tried for war crimes, here's a good recap of his "greatest hits."

https://theintercept.com/2019/01/30/elliott-abrams-venezuela-coup

quote:

The numbers alone don’t tell the whole story. El Salvador is a small country, about the size of New Jersey. The equivalent number of deaths in the U.S. would be almost 5 million. Moreover, the Salvadoran regime continually engaged in acts of barbarism so heinous that there is no contemporary equivalent, except perhaps ISIS. In one instance, a Catholic priest reported that a peasant woman briefly left her three small children in the care of her mother and sister. :nms: When she returned, she found that all five had been decapitated by the Salvadoran National Guard. Their bodies were sitting around a table, with their hands placed on their heads in front of them, “as though each body was stroking its own head.” The hand of one, a toddler, apparently kept slipping off her small head, so it had been nailed onto it. At the center of the table was a large bowl full of blood. :nms:

Criticism of U.S. policy at the time was not confined to the left. During this period, Charles Maechling Jr., who had led State Department planning for counterinsurgencies during the 1960s, wrote in the Los Angeles Times that the U.S. was supporting “Mafia-like oligarchies” in El Salvador and elsewhere and was directly complicit in “the methods of Heinrich Himmler’s extermination squads.”

Abrams was one of the architects of the Reagan administration’s policy of full-throated support for the Salvadoran government. He had no qualms about any of it and no mercy for anyone who escaped the Salvadoran abattoir. In 1984, sounding exactly like Trump officials today, he explained that Salvadorans who were in the U.S. illegally should not receive any kind of special status. “Some groups argue that illegal aliens who are sent back to El Salvador meet persecution and often death,” he told the House of Representatives. “Obviously, we do not believe these claims or we would not deport these people.”

Even when out of office, 10 years after the El Mozote massacre, Abrams expressed doubt that anything untoward had occurred there. In 1993, when a United Nations truth commission found that 95 percent of the acts of violence that had taken place in El Salvador since 1980 had been committed by Abrams’s friends in the Salvadoran government, he called what he and his colleagues in the Reagan administration had done a “fabulous achievement.”

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Prester Jane posted:

Hey guy... we're talking about righting a tremendous amount of human suffering that's already happened, that needs to be loving done, and if the President VETOES this deal, it's gonna cause more human suffering and not right the wrongs already done by this clown.

He's not GLOATING. He's fuckin' recognizing the extremely stupid position this President puts himself in TIME and TIME again.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Plus I feel not paying workers would get veto overruled right away. That’s a target you really don’t want on your back

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/JustMuteMeNow/status/1095752562584813568

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chilichimp posted:

Hey guy... we're talking about righting a tremendous amount of human suffering that's already happened, that needs to be loving done, and if the President VETOES this deal, it's gonna cause more human suffering and not right the wrongs already done by this clown.

He's not GLOATING. He's fuckin' recognizing the extremely stupid position this President puts himself in TIME and TIME again.

this. plus it sounds like if a shutdown does happen, there will be strikes at airports. so it will end a hell of alot quicker.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

bobjr posted:

Plus I feel not paying workers would get veto overruled right away. That’s a target you really don’t want on your back

Well the contractors aren't entitled to the back pay by law, it's just the right thing to do. Which is why Republicans are opposed to it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

god drat this country.

https://twitter.com/SocialWorkItOut/status/1095417122203807744

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Fwiw, since I was confused about this previously: In looking up noises Roy Blunt's been making about the border wall, I found this piece quoting Blunt explaining the actual Senate GOP intended way out on the border wall funding:

quote:

Blunt said that Republicans are “universally more supportive of” the “transfer authority” he is talking about “than some of us would be of emergency authority.”

One area Blunt targeted: $881 million in Department of Defense appropriations for “high-intensity drug corridors.”

Pentagon officials “very likely already have in mind what they would like to do with that $881 million, but if the president was looking for $881 million that he controls, he can look at what they wanted to do with it and decide if barriers would be of more important use," Blunt said.

This would pertain to the statutory provision that doesn't involve an emergency declaration, 10 USC 284. Using DOD funds under that seems more likely to survive a court challenge, but it would be specific to fences for "drug smuggling corridors".

I guess it makes sense, this is probably the best GOP option to get Trump to shut up and make the issue go away. High risk though, since it involves getting him to accept what is pretty much a pure face saving measure while he has other options to throw a temper tantrum.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1095779792413253633

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This seems like a no brainer

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1095042303671046146

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1095779454784286721

Also

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/1095741195609931776

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Legit surprised he lost business in the Springs. There, the plains and west of the rockies are all chud land from my experience.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Eltoasto posted:

Well the contractors aren't entitled to the back pay by law, it's just the right thing to do. Which is why Republicans are opposed to it.

Yeah, they’d be against it but really wouldn’t want that on their voting record, especially anyone in 2020. Unless they can think they can get away with it or something.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Jesus, ouch :smith:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1095781167863922691

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

gently caress

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

BillyC posted:

Legit surprised he lost business in the Springs. There, the plains and west of the rockies are all chud land from my experience.

Yeah Colorado Springs is a town so chudified they have problems with keeping the roads lit at night because nobody wants to pay taxes for it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Your Taint posted:

tbf saying "I don't know why we should believe anything you say" and not giving the guy a chance to respond is kind of a dick move. Good on her, though.

gently caress off with your stupid bullshit decorum

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Wolfechu posted:

I mean, this is one short step away from "I'll give you an extra $20 if you get rid of the homeless guy next to you so I'm first in place"

Good news! Holdr's competitive pricing and structure allows for fluid and flexible placement depending on time of purchase as well as that particular purchaser's tier of service, or Holdr Fast Purchase; having an FP account means that, due to your importance and willingness to pay an extremely high monthly fee, you're automatically given a guaranteed spot near the front of the line!* (Purchase of spot still required; pricing based on market forces and is subject to change upward at any time)

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:
So the FEMA administrator just resigned

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I do not know if it just caught me at a bad time but I have been crying over this for past couple of minutes.

gently caress this country

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

BillyC posted:

Everything's a shade of purple and I think most chuds still want Nikes anyway

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

But how can she advocate banning nuclear weapons, when she herself has a nucleus. :thunk:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DAS Super! posted:

He should have been removed over Puerto Rico.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DAS Super! posted:

He's from Alabama I think!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radish posted:

Jake Tapper has been retweeting CNN reporters saying how angry Omar is while brushing off their bullshit tweet questions all afternoon. Dude hates her so much he can't even hide it.

Dems hosed up bad.

Jake Tapper is a shithead. I'm not sure if he's a child or just hella misogynist or what but he's never heard a criticism of a left wing female politician that he didn't immediately repeat and legitimize.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

eviltastic posted:

He's going to care because it's an issue where ~the optics~ point exactly one way (good policy too, but we're talking Republicans here), the negotiating is not done yet, and making more noise about it directly undermines the GOP position of trying to be horrible by drawing attention to it and giving them ownership of it.

It's interesting because Blunt being willing to buck McConnell means the effort to kill the measure may fail.

I'm sorry, what the gently caress!? Are Swiss bank accounts like Bitcoin where you can't reverse a transaction or what?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1095783091988246528

https://twitter.com/senor_pez/status/1088947017429192704

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BillyC posted:

It probably had more to do with being in a mall (a failing American commerce model) than his selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1095783316610002944

Is that too long for a thread title?