Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

an unironic F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
RIP Opportunity - the best boy.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Don’t any of you fuckers post the Rover comic.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Why'd it get stuck? Don't even some of the most basic battle bots have ways to get them unstuck?

Though, thinking it through, most battle bots don't have millions of dollars of sensitive hardware on top of them.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

A life well spent :unsmith:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status/1095533453854920704?s=19

the election spoiler has logged on

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Why'd it get stuck? Don't even some of the most basic battle bots have ways to get them unstuck?

Though, thinking it through, most battle bots don't have millions of dollars of sensitive hardware on top of them.

Sandstorm covered its solar panels and it died

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Cool colorblind racism, asshat. Man, Schultz is really loving showing how poo poo he is. Although that statement will appeal to centrists or moderate right "independents" who probably aren't even consciously aware of their racist policies/tendencies.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Specifically the little heaters to keep its soldered points from becoming too brittle during hybernation had no power to operate.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bored As gently caress posted:

Basic battle bots probably don't deal with dust that fine (apparently it's like talcum powder) nor do they sit around in deep subzero conditions at all times with no maintenance beyond software.

Opportunity's final odo reading was like 28 miles, or to put that in scale it would roughly be running the Boston Marathon and then taking a lap around the far end of Boston Common.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

holocaust bloopers posted:

To be fair, if it were me that headline would’ve read “President Bloopers installed a full-size flight simulator to pretend fly DCS: F-14 Tomcat.”

You know as the president you could probably get a feature full F-22 or F-35 cockpit sim with the 4x projectors on a full dome with surround sound.

They have those and they're multiplayer :yooge:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Going out of business to own the libs.

https://twitter.com/JustMuteMeNow/status/1095752562584813568

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

M_Gargantua posted:

You know as the president you could probably get a feature full F-22 or F-35 cockpit sim with the 4x projectors on a full dome with surround sound.

They have those and they're multiplayer :yooge:

Ok well I’m in.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

As optimistic Spirits 1944 days was the fact that Oppurtunity roved for a whopping 5250 days is drat mindboggling.

F

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:
So the FEMA administrator just resigned

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The main thing about those rovers is that they thought the solar panels would fail due to dust after 90 days. It turns out the wind kept cleaning them so the rovers could keep going until something else failed.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

DAS Super! posted:

So the FEMA administrator just resigned

i got really excited until I remembered that Kirstjen (lol) Nielsen is head of DHS, not FEMA

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

"Your appointment to FEMA should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with the senator."

"I take it he was agreeable?"

"Oh yes, Senator Graham is extremely afraid that we might tell someone that he's gay"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i got really excited until I remembered that Kirstjen (lol) Nielsen is head of DHS, not FEMA

The only -jen I approve of being in charge of DHS is Chrisjen Avasarala

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

on one hand, good, but that sucks for his employees

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:siren:WARNING NUCLEAR HOT TAKE DETECTED:siren:

:allears: @ folks ITT expressing more concern about a broken machine on another planet than the millions of people literally starving to death on this one.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

:n4i:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:allears: @ folks ITT expressing more concern about a broken machine on another planet than the millions of people literally starving to death on this one.

:allears:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

:nallears:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

mods changed my name posted:

on one hand, good, but that sucks for his employees

They were probably only getting minimum wage, which is $11.10/hr here, went up $.90 from last year.

He was on tv last night sniveling about how nike makes all the jerseys now and boo hoo.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Let’s strand a starving Earthling on Mars and see if it’s any different!

:jeb:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Elon. Elon can go first.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
seeing a lot of shitposts, none of them saying why i'm wrong :shuckyes:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

FFFFFFFF

e
I thought Spirit was still trucking around, it died in May of 11.

Syrian Lannister fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 13, 2019

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Machines are valuable, though.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
I for one feel more of a connection to a dead piece of machinery on another planet than I due to the vast majority of human beings

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
We need a rescue mission, someone get Matt Damon.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

crazyivan45 posted:

I for one feel more of a connection to a dead piece of machinery on another planet than I due to the vast majority of human beings

this but actually though

Those machines have worth and vastly exceeded all of their design parameters. They are triumphs of engineering and deserve our respect

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
If you post xkcd... we are enemies

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWnzfA9AqrA

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

https://twitter.com/bfnewsunion/status/1095463415563325440

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

seeing a lot of shitposts, none of them saying why i'm wrong :shuckyes:

Maybe some of us view this news as a welcome distraction from the unending misery that is life and a brief moment of marvel at the engineering achievement coupled with an animistic sadness at the end of Opportunity's mission offers us a respite from the knowledge the world may very well stop being capable of supporting human life during our lifetimes.

It's almost as though some of us are complex beings capable of paying attention to multiple things.