Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

But yeah like, the military academy is a better excuse for a homebase than whatever the hell Fates was trying to do, they seemed to have actual mechanics built around it, and pretty much everything in the latter half of the trailer/a lot of the stuff in the first trailer made it pretty clear that you'd be doing generic teaching stuff for so long and would get caught up in a standard fire emblem war at least by the halfway point, if not sooner. Iunno why people are freaking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Internet Kraken posted:

I like how in Astral Blade the boy has full clothing but the girl has random tactical shorts.

Good design!

yes

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

A day after my bullshit saying how much I like 3D World and Mario Maker, Nintendo announces a MM sequel with 3D World parts.

I'm gonna whine more often.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Endorph posted:

because the idea of a military academy is somehow more juvenile and impossible to them than a magical dimension where you send babies to so they can age ten times as fast and never see their parents

They can both be terrible!

If this had come out before Fates I'd be more optimistic but based on the designs on the trailer and the pitch its probably gonna be a ton of highschool/college anime bullshit, which I cannot stand. I'm sure the gameplay will still be good but holy poo poo the last thing I want from these games is a bunch of kids and their social life in murder school.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

But yeah like, the military academy is a better excuse for a homebase than whatever the hell Fates was trying to do, they seemed to have actual mechanics built around it, and pretty much everything in the latter half of the trailer/a lot of the stuff in the first trailer made it pretty clear that you'd be doing generic teaching stuff for so long and would get caught up in a standard fire emblem war at least by the halfway point, if not sooner. Iunno why people are freaking out.

I think people are kind of annoyed at how much more directly anime FE has become over the years and setting it in high school is just a step too far for some

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

where did all this anime in my fire emblem come from

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fire Emblem: Union Busting

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

homeless snail posted:

where did all this anime in my fire emblem come from

There is good anime

There is bad anime

Which do you think Fates was

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

I'm curious what effect your house choice has on the story. I'm sure it won't be three completely different campaigns, but then again Fates had three campaigns so I guess it's possible?

Either way I'm pretty excited. It looks like it has a lot of mechanics that are pretty big departures for Fire Emblem (and I'm sure they'll be controversial), but I'm really curious to see more.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

rune factory 4 remaster is a hard pass unless they let you marry the dragon this time

That's what Rune Factory 5 is for.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Internet Kraken posted:

There is good anime

There is bad anime

Personally I am a big fan of Lancer and really liked fake strange and extra

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

There is good anime

There is bad anime

The story and characters in Fates were unbelievably bad but the map/battle design in Conquest was so good I didn't even care

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

There is good anime

There is bad anime

I don't like fire emblem so I'm going to say bad anyway

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I like how in Astral Blade the boy has full clothing but the girl has random tactical shorts.

Good design!

they should've made her a sexy maid instead

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Harrow posted:

The story and characters in Fates were unbelievably bad but the map/battle design in Conquest was so good I didn't even care

Yeah that's probably while I buy this anyways, and admittedly the whole "Three Houses" mechanic can probably add some good replay value. I'm betting its gonna be mostly the same game no matter what you pick in terms of plot and missions but the units you have at your disposal will be different, which is interesting.

But I have zero confidence in the writing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

in case you couldn't tell from the video, tetris 99 is an arika game. its probably going to be okay

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fire Emblem's an entire game about raising child soldiers to put down rebellions

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My only criticism of Fire Emblem: Three Houses so far is that I think I'd rather play as one of the house leaders than Utterly Character-Free Self-Insert.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

My only criticism of Fire Emblem: Three Houses so far is that I think I'd rather play as one of the house leaders than Utterly Character-Free Self-Insert.

Yeah I'm sad they're still keeping that aspect

But since everyone is high schoolers at least there's probably no kids mechanic

Please let there be no kids mechanic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

axelblaze posted:

I think people are kind of annoyed at how much more directly anime FE has become over the years and setting it in high school is just a step too far for some

fe4 had a scene in which a 15 year old insists she cant be a kid because of her huge boobs

Internet Kraken posted:

They can both be terrible!

If this had come out before Fates I'd be more optimistic but based on the designs on the trailer and the pitch its probably gonna be a ton of highschool/college anime bullshit, which I cannot stand. I'm sure the gameplay will still be good but holy poo poo the last thing I want from these games is a bunch of kids and their social life in murder school.
Iunno, everything we've seen of the plot/dialogue seems fairly grounded? Admittedly we haven't seen a lot yet but compared to Fates's intro trailer which had that freaking camilla shot everything's been pretty lowkey.

And like I said, I really doubt you'll be in school the entire game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I'm sad they're still keeping that aspect

But since everyone is high schoolers at least there's probably no kids mechanic

Please let there be no kids mechanic
The kids in fates were almost universally panned and unpopular and the mechanic itself was criticized heavily on both the western and JP sides. I would place money on there being no kids in this game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Andrast posted:

In the dumpster where it belongs

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
New Platinum game looks sick

And I wonder how bad the FF9 remaster will be; does Square Care?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

The kids in fates were almost universally panned and unpopular and the mechanic itself was criticized heavily on both the western and JP sides. I would place money on there being no kids in this game.

Thank god.

I'm pretty hopeful for this

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/RaZor921/status/1095816781682364416

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4P4ln781D0
fire emblem high school

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm so pumped for Links Awakening. When Nintendo merged their home console and portable hardware and development I was worried that we'd lose some of the weird spark of their portable games, but pulling forward Links Awakening like this shows that they at least understand what made those games so good and ugg I want to play it so badly.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder what the popularity % split of the houses will be on first playthroughs

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's probably just the mobile port again

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My favorite thing whenever a new Zelda is revealed is how bad people say it looks then it comes out and everybody's like "wait a minute, all the little flourishes actually make it look great!"

Not even talking about Wind Waker here, people said previous greatest Zelda (A Link Between Worlds) looked awful and they were all wrong lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Monkey Fracas posted:

the mobile/pc port was fine, it's probably just that again

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

al-azad posted:

My favorite thing whenever a new Zelda is revealed is how bad people say it looks then it comes out and everybody's like "wait a minute, all the little flourishes actually make it look great!"

Not even talking about Wind Waker here, people said previous greatest Zelda (A Link Between Worlds) looked awful and they were all wrong lol

I'm pretty sure it's the ALBW team on this one and I'm so glad they're still making games like this gently caress yesssss

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

al-azad posted:

ALBW is one of the ugliest games ever made.

Mostly because it was impossible to make a game look nice on the 3DS.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

homeless snail posted:

what chocobo mystery dungeon was that a port of

expanded version of the wii one i think

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If Link's Awakening doesn't have Will Wright getting catfished by a hippo with a photo of Peach then Nintendo are a cowards!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

...I just don't like how the style looked in the trailer at all. Sorry I guess?

It was especially disappointed with that lush hand drawn intro so I was hoping for something like that and instead it looks like a blander 3D Dot Game Hero.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Endorph posted:

Iunno, everything we've seen of the plot/dialogue seems fairly grounded? Admittedly we haven't seen a lot yet but compared to Fates's intro trailer which had that freaking camilla shot everything's been pretty lowkey.

And like I said, I really doubt you'll be in school the entire game.

I dunno, I can't really be optimistic with anything about that game's writing.

I mean on paper, Fates doesn't sound like its story concept is terrible either but we all know how they managed to botch that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the animated zelda bits looked too anime to me

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

axelblaze posted:

...I just don't like how the style looked in the trailer at all. Sorry I guess?

It was especially disappointed with that lush hand drawn intro so I was hoping for something like that and instead it looks like a blander 3D Dot Game Hero.

Its a cute game for cuties, and if you don't like it I am sorry to say that means you are not cute irl.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

WHERE IS FF8 NINTENDO
FF8 isn't on PlayStation4 either, and I'm not quite sure what the issue is if they were willing to port the PC version of 7 to consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Roth posted:

Fire Emblem: Union Busting

i counter with yggdra union