Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

my bony fealty posted:

triggered much :smug:

can't wait for the JK Rowling biopic where they gloss over her being Tory scum

I wonder if they'll mention her post-Potter career of revising her shoddy legendarium via Twitter.

It became clear on a reread how much she was winging it from book to book, and now, now she's tweeting about wizards making GBS threads in the halls and using magic to clean it up instead of, I don't know, magical chamber pots or outhouses or something. As far as 2 minutes of googling can tell me, flush toilets go back at least as far as the Indus Valley civilization. And she already mentioned chamber pots in the text itself.

nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Sarern posted:

I wonder if they'll mention her post-Potter career of revising her shoddy legendarium via Twitter.

It became clear on a reread how much she was winging it from book to book, and now, now she's tweeting about wizards making GBS threads in the halls and using magic to clean it up instead of, I don't know, magical chamber pots or outhouses or something. As far as 2 minutes of googling can tell me, flush toilets go back at least as far as the Indus Valley civilization. And she already mentioned chamber pots in the text itself.

nice meltdown

Wasn't there a ghost haunting a toilet in the second book?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
J.K. Rowling's Twitter retcons are the best thing to come out of the official Harry Potter franchise.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
JK Rowling is launching a noble battle against the premise of canon and I applaud her for it

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

things like harry potter and star wars that were obviously made up as they went along are only made worse by their creators trying to pretend that they weren't after the fact and the fans that believe them.

like say what you will about doctor who but at least the people who make it had the balls to say "we don't give a poo poo about 'canon' and never have"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Yeah Star Wars is the ultimate argument against world building as a concept because the only reason the story works is because it leaves anything not immediately essential to the plot as ambiguous.

The prequels were fundamentally a failure because they tried to make a deliberately obscure world suddenly coherent

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The prequels are without flaw

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Look botl sometimes nerds can be right

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The prequels were fundamentally a failure because they tried to make a deliberately obscure world suddenly coherent

I tend to disagree. The prequels were a failure because none of the characters ever acted in a way that seemed like a normal human* would have acted in their place, in addition to adding setting details that make no sense.

I mean, the core story - character rises to prominence, makes questionable deals, and is brought down as a result - seems like it could be done well (Julius Ceasar and Macbeth are both nodding along at this point); that was just a matter of execution at all levels (the entire very young Anakin arc was completely superfluous).

*Or being of an unknown species, whatever.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

They never acted human because they were vessels in which events were meant to be caused so as to fill in the blanks on a loosely defined history

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ulmont posted:

I tend to disagree. The prequels were a failure because none of the characters ever acted in a way that seemed like a normal human* would have acted in their place, in addition to adding setting details that make no sense.

I mean, the core story - character rises to prominence, makes questionable deals, and is brought down as a result - seems like it could be done well (Julius Ceasar and Macbeth are both nodding along at this point); that was just a matter of execution at all levels (the entire very young Anakin arc was completely superfluous).

*Or being of an unknown species, whatever.

In my experience, the prequel characters are all too accurate for people.

One time in another thread happened to stumble into star wars chat, and one goon stated that Anakin Skywalker obviously didn't have it bad as a slave because Qui-Gon Jinn didn't much care about it. After all, it was not "American chattel slavery," so t really can't have been that bad. Otherwise Qui-Gon Jinn would have immediately liberated him.

The reality is just that all the heroes of Star Wars are slaveowners and don't care that much about slavery.

So what happened is that they identified with a prequel character so deeply that they genuinely thought that slavery isn't that bad.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The prequel movies followed the by then decades-long exercise of adding useless backstory to the Star Wars universe, it was just giving fans what they wanted (garbage)

Disney throwing out the entire Stars Wars EU from 'canon' is the best thing any major corporation has done in the 21st century

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

my bony fealty posted:

The prequel movies followed the by then decades-long exercise of adding useless backstory to the Star Wars universe, it was just giving fans what they wanted (garbage)

Disney throwing out the entire Stars Wars EU from 'canon' is the best thing any major corporation has done in the 21st century

False. The old 'canon' had Han Solo punching an otter, a feat of imagination next to which all new installments, whether cinematic or otherwise, pale in comparison.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

don't forget the Horse pilot!

lamborari

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Agreed

Also slavery in star wars was a great example of how it all falls apart if you think about it at all

This is a universe that regularly manufactures sapient beings explicitly as property

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sarern posted:

nice meltdown

You'd be surprised at how filthy Europe was until recently. People were making GBS threads and pissing in every corner of the Versailles for example.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
i'm making GBS threads and pissing in every corner of the Versailles right now

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I wouldn’t compare this thread to Versailles...

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's more Tuileries in your opinion?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

It is the Hôtel de Ville and BotL is our Robespierre

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
For fun I thought I'd do a line edit of the first page or so of Jenn Lyons's The Ruin of Kings, which, I remind the reader, has already made its author tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The Ruin of Kings
by
Jenn Lyon

quote:

"Tell me a story."
I think it's reasonable to point how much writing of this kind is influenced by movies and television. It's easy to imagine this first line read by an actor over a black screen. Right away we're in scene. And while I'm sure there are plenty of great books that begin in a similar way, it's a far cry from, "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife," for example. One of the strengths of the medium is the ability to move smoothly from the general to the specific, from the universal to the particular, and so a very reasonable strategy is to start out with some kind of broader sentence or paragraph that gives us tone, setting, theme, and so forth.

quote:

The monster slouched down by the iron bars of Khirin's jail cell. She set a small, plain stone down on the ground between them and pushed it forward.
We're not immediately told who delivered the above line, which right away makes me a little anxious. Is it supposed to be ambiguous? I feel there's a bit of confusion with the pronoun here--the monster is the "she" is turns out. And there's imprecision of language as well: I've only read the first two pages but I suspect Khirin isn't in a jail.

There's also that movie sensibility I mentioned above--we're never going get a sense of the space they occupy, or the feeling of being in that space. Instead we're concerned with stage direction and physical descriptions of characters.

Also if you've already guessed that the "monster" here, in a shocking twist, doesn't look like a monster, a gold star for you.

quote:

She didn't look like a monster. Talon looked like a girl in her twenties, with wheat-gold skin and soft brown hair.
Surprise! But let's reflect for a moment here. What does a "monster" look like? Isn't everyone over the age of 14 aware that the devil has the power to assume a pleasing shape? Maybe Khirin, who seems to be the focus of this close third person narration, is a child or unusually naive, but I suspect not. Instead, I suspect, we're operating in a kind of default Young Adult Reader mode where it turns out the real monster...is man. Or at least monsters that look a lot like babes.

The succubus's name is Talon. She has talons. She's a League of Legends character. It's stupid.

Also, presuming we're in some kind of pseudo-medieval, or at least pseudo-premodern setting, why are we describing a woman in twenties as a girl? Maybe Khirin is simply reflecting the prejudices of his culture. I also wonder what it means to have perfect skin and conditioned hair in this world; are these markers of aristocracy? Does she seem like a courtesan to him? We don't find out.

quote:

Most men would give their eye-teeth to spend an evening with someone so beautiful. Most men didn’t know of her talent for shaping her body into forms crafted from pure terror. She mocked her victims with the forms of murdered loved ones, before they too became her next meal.

Here we get our first real clunkers, and I don't think it's a coincidence that they appear as soon as we try to get at the magical. As has been observed repeatedly in this thread, many modern fantasy novels, which ostensibly feature the fantastic, the magical, and the phantasmagorical, are written in a prosaic realist mode. Transparent third or first person narrators rigorously relating what they see and here. This is, a priori, going to cause tremendous problems when trying to describe something that pushes at the boundaries of everyday understanding. So we are told about this character whose "talent" (like computer programming or playing the piano?) is to "[shape] her body" (what?) "into forms crafted from pure terror" (the language here breaks down completely because we're so broad we're not saying anything at all; might as well just write, "The monster could look really scary instead of hot.")

The following sentence isn't any better. The word "form" gets repeated (again we're really abusing the limits of where this style of writing can get us), and the last clause is genuinely awful; "became" is a disaster.

quote:

That she was Kihrin’s jailer was like leaving a shark to guard a fish tank.
This not a good simile. Try to work out the logistics of guarding a fish tank with a shark. A tank inside a larger tank?

Also, again assuming the premodern setting, do they have fishtanks? Magical fishtanks I guess?

This is taking longer than I anticipated--part 2 later today.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

False. The old 'canon' had Han Solo punching an otter, a feat of imagination next to which all new installments, whether cinematic or otherwise, pale in comparison.

I've always been partial to the giant sentient divine force-sensitive meat cube covered in golden scales that Luke has to enter

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
waru, yes

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

quote:

forms crafted from pure terror

The ability to put this down on a page should preclude you from writing another word. And anyone involved in the publishing process that allowed this in should be relieved of their positions.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Lex Neville posted:

The ability to put this down on a page should preclude you from writing another word. And anyone involved in the publishing process that allowed this in should be relieved of their positions.

Part of me wonders if the writing gets better or worse further in as the author proceeds more quickly and with less care.

But I'll never know.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well first twenty some odd chapters are free to read. Behold the epitome of modern fantasy fiction: https://www.tor.com/series/the-ruin-of-kings-by-jenn-lyons/

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
like leaving a penis to guard a pussy tank

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm just picturing the saddest guard-shark in its own tank, disconsolately bumping its nose on the glass as its competing urges to fulfill its duty and eat its charges war within it

It's a stupid mental image but it's still better than Sexy Scary Succubus up there

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Lyons' shelf-bending fantasy debut novel is an epic, breakneck-paced adventure structured largely as a dialogue between a jailer and her prisoner, a thief and musician who is much more than he appears to be.

The story begins in a jail cell with a young man named Kihrin being guarded by Talon, a beautiful and monstrous shape-shifting assassin. Kihrin, awaiting what will surely be his death, begins telling her his life story. Talon complements Kihrin’s tale with her own memories of the past few years, and, together, they weave a jaw-dropping, action-packed story of betrayal, greed, and grand-scale conspiracy. It all begins when Kihrin—a thief who has been raised in the slums by a compassionate blind musician—witnesses a horrific murder while robbing a house. The sudden target of a group of morally bankrupt, and terrifyingly powerful sorcerers, Kihrin finds himself on the run. During his flight, he discovers that he may be the son of a depraved prince—and that the necklace he wears around his neck may be much more than a sentimental object from his long-dead mother. While the comparisons to Patrick Rothfuss’ The Kingkiller Chronicle will be unavoidable—in terms of story structure and general narrative content—the potential of this projected five-book saga may be even greater. Although a cast of well-developed characters and an impressively intricate storyline power this novel, it’s Lyons’ audacious worldbuilding that makes for such an unforgettable read. In a sprawling, magic-filled world populated by gods, dragons, krakens, witches, demons, ghosts, shape-shifters, zombies, and so much more, Lyons ties it all together seamlessly to create literary magic.

Epic fantasy fans looking for a virtually un-put-down-able read should look no further.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's very telling that Kirkus reviews for real books are actual reviews while genre fiction gets a basic summary and some regurgitated copy from the publisher.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

While the comparisons to Patrick Rothfuss’ The Kingkiller Chronicle will be unavoidable—in terms of story structure and general narrative content—the potential of this projected five-book saga may be even greater.

kill me

"projected five book saga" is the worst combination of words ive heard in the English language

clicked on a random chapter and omg a literal "as you know"

quote:

As you know, his real name was Kihrin , but he liked the name Rook because it was both his aspiration and occupation.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Let's see the, uh, publisher's review.

"There is also a fae species, the vané, which are somewhat reminiscent of Tolkien-style elves but also remind me a lot of the Gems in Steven Universe."

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

:bravo2::worship::yum:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:magical:

un-put-down-able

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ahem

audacious worldbuilding

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

quote:

13: The Determined Wizard
(Kihrin’s story)

I jumped up onto the railing and kept myself from falling overboard by grabbing the rigging. “Are those whales? I’ve never seen whales before.”

“Oh, those?” Teraeth looked over the side of the ship with a bored expression. “Nothing but several dozen sixty-foot-long limbless blue elephants going for a swim. Pay them no mind.”

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

'Nothing but several dozen sixty-foot-long limbless blue elephants' is the name of my new math-rock band.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
oh my lord

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

a fantasy world full of demons, vampires, fae, zombies, and also whales sixty foot long limbless blue elephants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

quote:

The whorehouse madam smiled. “I brought a little of all the day’s specials from the kitchen.” She waved her hand over the tray of food like a waiter presenting the meal. “We have hot peppered goat with strips of fresh voracress, mutton with leado sauce wrapped and grilled in the traditional banana leaf, nakari marinated yellow fish with mango, fried bezevo root fingers, coconut rice, heart of palm, and pieces of bitter melon with chocolate.” Then, as if she’d forgotten, she added, “And some of my Kirpis grape wine. It will relax you.”

Morea gave Ola a startled look, so the whorehouse madam added, “I know, I know. I mostly save it for rituals,1 but I’ve always liked grape wines more than the local rice or coconut wines when I’m trying to relax.”

1 Citizens of the Kirpis and Kazivar dominions like to insist that only wine made from grapes should be called such. The presence of the Academy in Kirpis means that generations of wizards have returned home with a taste for grape wine and the quirk of preferring it for rituals. While Ola never attended the Academy, she must have picked up this association from her time spent in the Upper Circle.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 14, 2019