Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I finished the game for the first time tonight and the music from the second phase of the final boss fight... feels good.

Tomorrow morning before work I’m gonna go gently caress up Iudex Gundyr in NG+, that gatekeeping dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I'm moving into NG+ with my first dedicated magic/pyro user too. Looking forward to seeing how far I can get because summons are much tougher to depend on in NG+ and there are still several bosses that I have a really hard time with if I don't have help.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm playing a new character (pyro, inspired by this thread) and I'm again reminded how annoyingly scarce titanite scales are in the game. You can get 4 of them together somewhat early in the game, but then suddenly the next scales are in Irithyll Dungeon and beyond! Meanwhile twinkling titanite keeps getting dropped from lizards like nobody's business and you can start farming large shards as soon as the catacombs.

The thing this does is make it extremely annoying to use a boss weapon in the midgame, when all other upgrade material suddenly overshoot you and everyone else is having +6, maybe +7 regular or +3 twinkling weapons and you're stuck at your sad +2. Why are you doing this to me from, why?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Amppelix posted:

I'm playing a new character (pyro, inspired by this thread) and I'm again reminded how annoyingly scarce titanite scales are in the game. You can get 4 of them together somewhat early in the game, but then suddenly the next scales are in Irithyll Dungeon and beyond! Meanwhile twinkling titanite keeps getting dropped from lizards like nobody's business and you can start farming large shards as soon as the catacombs.

The thing this does is make it extremely annoying to use a boss weapon in the midgame, when all other upgrade material suddenly overshoot you and everyone else is having +6, maybe +7 regular or +3 twinkling weapons and you're stuck at your sad +2. Why are you doing this to me from, why?

Gimme a Claymore and your weapon. I'll upgrade it and drop it for you.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh I don't need a solution, I'm just complaining about game design here. If I really wanted to I can just cheat more scales for myself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think maybe the boss weapons were purposely designed that way, to be used mostly in the last third or so of the game and then into NG+.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
More likely I think it's meant to accommodate experimenting with different weapons. The amount of leveling / upgrading / etc. that DS3 players actually do seems to be consistently higher than what From expected -- it becomes especially obvious when you max out and then the enemy health keeps scaling upwards as you go into Lothric Castle and the DLC.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

All I know is that I want a Claymore in Sharp, Heavy, Lightning, Chaos, Refined, and Dark.

Also Sharp gems are uncommon drops from Corvian Knights and ultra rare from Carthus Skeletons so that's like the ultimate Sophie's choice.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just got a sharp gem from a skeleton and was like "oh isn't that a mega-rare drop? well whatever"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Attempting to farm something from Corvian Knights does not sound at all like a fun experience.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The bird people are one of the weirdest things in this game. What's the deal with them?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Attempting to farm something from Corvian Knights does not sound at all like a fun experience.

I think I killed 8-10 with symbol of avarice, +3 Gold Serpent, and Crystal Rapier and I got gems out of it.

It wasn't fun but it was way easier than figuring out a reliable way to proc frost on Gael.

On Frostbite, it really feels like 2h R2's with Vordt's cause more frost build up than anything else.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 14, 2019

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Basebf555 posted:

You're guaranteed at least a large titanite shard, and they sometimes drop chunks. If I need one or two more by the time I've made my circuit around the Cathedral and raided the early parts of Ariandel (aside from fighting the giant wolves because f that with a low-level weapon) I'll usually kill a couple even if it takes me a few tries. One is essentially right next to the town bonfire and you can get in a free hit or two if you have a ranged option so it's an easy circuit.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, the knife hands one is visible from the Corvian Settlement bonfire. You can knock him.down with a fire bomb and do a plunging attack

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

The bird people are one of the weirdest things in this game. What's the deal with them?

The universe is rotting. Hiding inside a painting won't save you.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Basebf555 posted:

It's not too bad if you get into the rhythm of 'shoot the corvian off the bridge, cat ring plunge attack, stagger with a HA weapon until dead,, homeward bone'.

Drop rate sucks though.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Do the Irithyll weapons only proc Frostbite on 2h hits? I feel like Vordt's doesn't work on bosses unless I 2h it.

I just hit Soul of Cinder 8 times with no frostbite with 1h R1

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 16, 2019

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I feel like that's a bad test case. He's on fire from the inside.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I don't like the twin princes.

Lorian has very few moves which are safe to punish consistently. It's pretty much just the big charge up slash and the 1-2-3 combo. Anywhere else he may randomly decide to throw in another move, or just teleport away and punish you instead with the plunging attack. And in the second phase the charge slash isn't punishable anymore either! So what does that leave you with? Either you play the world's most boring defensive playstyle where you plink at him once per minute, or you go in like normal and luck decides whether you win or lose. Does not feel good.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
This is one of those times you need to get good buddy

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I enjoy fighting the Twin Princes, but I also switched to a dagger elementally infused to one of their weaknesses last time I solo'd them, in what was otherwise a heavy weapons run. So make of that what you will. :v:

Also I'm pretty sure there are tells for when he's going to throw out a longer combo and they're not actually just random extra moves.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

This is one of those times you need to get good buddy
"lol just summon" is definitely the wrong answer to boss design complaints. Anything's easy with a party, but most bosses are fun to fight without one. This one isn't.

I beat it shortly after the post anyway. Like I said it was just a matter of keeping at it until they gave me a good pattern.

I do think having a fast weapon would help immensely as there's a lot of windows where you can safely sneak in one hit with those but none with a big weapon. I don't think that's good either though. Those openings need to be longer than that. Even the good Pontiff, and Nameless King, two of the other more merciless bosses in the game, give longer openings.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Amppelix posted:

"lol just summon" is definitely the wrong answer to boss design complaints.

That's not what I said.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Frostbite works well

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

That's not what I said.
Oh my god i inserted an a in there that turned it from "get good buddy" to "get a good buddy"

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Can anyone recommend an op build if I don't have the Ringed City dlc?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Oh my god i inserted an a in there that turned it from "get good buddy" to "get a good buddy"

You should definitely get a good buddy. Co-op is fun and the stigma that you need to solo every boss for dark souls street cred is loving dumb. It's cool if you want to but summoning friends is a feature for a reason.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Twin Princes are one of my favourite fights in the whole series, incl Demons and Bloodborne. They loving own, the teleport mid swing trick is just brilliant.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

JadaX posted:

Can anyone recommend an op build if I don't have the Ringed City dlc?

Ringed City DLC's main contribution to PvP is just better rings that give you a slight statistical advantage at... well, just about anything you'd want rings for, really. It doesn't really make or break any builds otherwise, although I guess it does have like the one genuinely great halberd in the game, the (misleadingly named) Splitleaf Greatsword.

e: Gael's Greatsword is also really drat good, as is the Crucifix of the Mad King for its crazy (if random/unreliable) utility. But there are tons of fantastic greatswords in the game and CotMK is kind of gimmicky even if it is objectively strong, you're not missing out that much.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 17, 2019

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
there are more good weapons in the last dlc than bad depending on build so im not sure why youre bothering to list all the good ones instead of just the few bad ones.
the good:
Splitleaf Greatsword
Murky Hand Scythe
Aquamarine Dagger (not super good but some pvp nerds loved it so i guess its good enough)
Harald Curved Greatsword
Demon's Scar
Ringed Knight Straight Sword
Ringed Knight Spear
Ringed Knight Paired Greatswords
Frayed Blade
Gael's Greatsword
Lothric War Banner
Ledo's Great Hammer
Crucifix of the Mad King
Sacred Chime of Filianore

the bad:
Preacher's Right Arm
Murky Longstaff
Repeating Crossbow
White Birch Bow

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

30 faith 30 int 25 vig 25 end 18 attunement 12 str 17 Dex

Can wield Estoc, 2h claymore, and Witch locks, has access to all useful pyromancies.

Witches Locks is the best 'ranged weapon' I've found. No one knows how loving LONG the reach is. The weapon art is basically an AOE blast that hits for 350 at the tail end of it, has extra hits in the warm up, and it is also 100% fire damage.

So it's not split and people will try and turtle hits with a shield which means they take 200 damage chip.

Need to wear Ring of Favor, Prisoner's Chain. Witch's ring, sage's ring

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 17, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Murky Longstaff is good. It’s basically the best staff for dark sorceries unless you have poo poo tons of faith. Also surprisingly decent at bonking people.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Iretep posted:

there are more good weapons in the last dlc than bad depending on build so im not sure why youre bothering to list all the good ones instead of just the few bad ones.

Because he asked for a build, and I'm just illustrating that Ringed City doesn't make a massive difference with respect to that, noting the handful of things that do make a somewhat significant difference to certain builds as clarification. I'm not actually trying to catalogue the DLC weapons.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

You should definitely get a good buddy. Co-op is fun and the stigma that you need to solo every boss for dark souls street cred is loving dumb. It's cool if you want to but summoning friends is a feature for a reason.
I don't think I ever want to play dark souls with someone i know and am speaking with. I love the series specifically for the random aspect of the multiplayer. I want to see what kind of cooperation I cam get together with a stranger who I can only communicate with in pantomime.

But this has nothing to do with stigma anyhow, I just like playing these games alone, carefully advancing through the levels and figuring out boss patterns until I can make it through. Co-op is a wholly different experience where you don't really have the time to stop and smell the roses.

I like soloing most of the time anyway. Twin Princes can suck it. If I'm ever fighting them again with a slow weapons user they get the summoning stick.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I give a boss like 5 tries and if I'm not even close to killing them I summon. I killed enough stuff solo in Bloodborne that I don't need to beat my head against the wall

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I deleted my old saves and started again. I have been doing more things like equipping covenants (never did that before cause I'm scared to see other players honestly) but I have been having fun. I got my guy to sl 45 and that takes me out of the farron watchdog and way/sentinels of blue, right? I didn't get all the swordgrass/whatever else for those covenants at sl 35. I did beat abyss watchers at 45 and cruised through carthus, too. I don't see how these invaders at sl 20 had good end game poo poo. I was struggling at like sl 60-70. Maybe they mule the stuff over? Maybe they get carried? Or maybe they... git gud. :(

I had a guy effortlessly kill me with this big 2h sword and he was rolling and poking. I kept trying to parry but nope, dodge but nope, also poke him but nope. Ahh well. He probably has lots more practice murdering people. I'm not sure how my ping is, either. Dark souls is one of the most fun games ever made and I love it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Way of Blue/Blue Sentinels is useful throughout the game. If you are a blue sentinel you’ll probably get more hits at the start because more people have Way of Blue active (for want of anything else to put in the slot), but if you’re in Way of Blue you’ll probably find sentinels at almost any level.

For Watchdogs you basically do need to be below level 40 though.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

vandalism posted:

I deleted my old saves and started again. I have been doing more things like equipping covenants (never did that before cause I'm scared to see other players honestly) but I have been having fun. I got my guy to sl 45 and that takes me out of the farron watchdog and way/sentinels of blue, right? I didn't get all the swordgrass/whatever else for those covenants at sl 35. I did beat abyss watchers at 45 and cruised through carthus, too. I don't see how these invaders at sl 20 had good end game poo poo. I was struggling at like sl 60-70. Maybe they mule the stuff over? Maybe they get carried? Or maybe they... git gud. :(

I had a guy effortlessly kill me with this big 2h sword and he was rolling and poking. I kept trying to parry but nope, dodge but nope, also poke him but nope. Ahh well. He probably has lots more practice murdering people. I'm not sure how my ping is, either. Dark souls is one of the most fun games ever made and I love it.

If you can beat the Dancer (and Ocei, Champ Gun) at low level, you can get some really good stuff yea. That said, it's a pain in the rear end but very rewarding imo.
It used to be really easy because of the Swordmaster Glitch, rip in piece.

You can still farm the Swordgrass for the good doggy by killing Ghru at Farron Perimeter etc.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Do the Irithyll weapons only proc Frostbite on 2h hits? I feel like Vordt's doesn't work on bosses unless I 2h it.

I just hit Soul of Cinder 8 times with no frostbite with 1h R1

Vordt's will almost always proc after 2 R1s in reasonably close proximity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Vordt's will almost always proc after 2 R1s in reasonably close proximity.

Definitely not for bosses, maybe for PVP.

As for PVP, it is basically ruled by people spamming ultra greatswords and poising through all your attacks.