Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Edgy pick: Kevin spacey as piter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

andrew smash posted:

The Baron explicitly, in his internal monologues, plans to let Piter go nuts on the populace and then kill him so Feyd-Rautha can be a hero

And then gets pissed when Piter bites it because now he'll have to use Rabban for that job instead.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
gurney!

https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/1095767187107663872

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
bless the maker and his water

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This cast owns

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

sebmojo posted:

Edgy pick: Kevin spacey as piter
my serious pick would be Tómas Lemarquis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMk99drt1B4&t=60s

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

loving Josh Brolin as Gurney
:trumppop::chanpop::captainpop::bernpop:

This cast is really well thought-out and it's promising to see so many good choices trickling out. It bodes well for quality (at least early on, ymmv, blah blah blah).

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
At this point I'm mostly worried that my expectations for this movie are going to be so high that it will be very hard to not be a little underwhelmed no matter how good it ends up being.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
*strums baliset*

I'm livin' rent-free in your head.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

gurney man!

young pup! You young pup!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

yowzah

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

loving Josh Brolin as Gurney
:trumppop::chanpop::captainpop::bernpop:

This cast is really well thought-out and it's promising to see so many good choices trickling out. It bodes well for quality (at least early on, ymmv, blah blah blah).

I think it's a smart move. The movie was bound to be expensive and risky, so just go all out and get as many known faces on board for bit parts as possible, which gives a mass audience a big incentive to go see what may not ordinarily be a mass audience film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This cast is...impossible

Timothée Chalamet - Paul Muad'Dib Atreides
Rebecca Ferguson - Lady Jessica Atreides
Dave Bautista - Glossu "The Beast" Rabban
Stellan Skarsgård - Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Charlotte Rampling - Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Oscar Isaac - Duke Leto Atreides
Javier Bardem - Stilgar of Sietch Tabr
Josh Brolin - Gurney Halleck

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Javier and Josh got that mad dope energy from working on No Country together, they'll make good rivals

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Javier and Josh got that mad dope energy from working on No Country together, they'll make good rivals

I was just thinking they're gonna have to resist easteregging the hell out of any scene that has both of them in it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
This is very specific but I hope Stephen Lang (the guy who played the Colonel in Avatar) makes it in as a Sardaukar Bashar somewhere, maybe the one who bullies the Baron a bit over Leto's death if that part makes it into the script. Also, Andy Serkis would be a good Piter.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

andrew smash posted:

Also, Andy Serkis would be a good Piter.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

It is by the precious that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I hope that breaking it up into two movies gives them room to add more of the scenery. I especially hope they include Count Fenring and his wife.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
A friend of mine suggested Charles Dance as Shaddam and now I can't think of anyone else. I know he should be Iranian-ish but still...

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

exmachina posted:

A friend of mine suggested Charles Dance as Shaddam and now I can't think of anyone else. I know he should be Iranian-ish but still...

Holy poo poo, Charles Dance As Piter!!!!!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Is it too late for Martin Short to be Leto II?

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Thanks to beanpole peckerwood for the list

Timothée Chalamet - Paul Muad'Dib Atreides 
Rebecca Ferguson - Lady Jessica Atreides 
Dave Bautista - Glossu "The Beast" Rabban 
Stellan Skarsgård - Baron Vladimir Harkonnen 
Charlotte Rampling - Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam 
Oscar Isaac - Duke Leto Atreides 
Javier Bardem - Stilgar of Sietch Tabr 
Josh Brolin - Gurney Halleck
Zendaya - Chani

Roles still in the air, the major ones as I see them -

Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Emperor Shaddam IV
Liet Kynes
Alia
Princess Irulan
Thufir Hawat
Duncan Idaho
Dr.Wellington Yueh
Piter deVries

Place your bets, people. Sky's the limit, it seems.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Here's mine -

Feyd Rautha Harkonnen - Tom Holland
Emperor Shaddam IV - Johnny Depp
Liet Kynes - Willem Defoe
Alia - Millie Bobby Brown
Princess Irulan - Chloe Grace Moretz
Thufir Hawat - Michael Gambon
Duncan Idaho - Clive Owen
Dr.Wellington Yueh - Colin Firth
Piter deVries - Steve Buscemi

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Nobody can be feyd except sting in blue undies. Sorry, this is non-negotiable.

Edit:

DebonaireD posted:

Here's mine -

Feyd Rautha Harkonnen - Tom Holland

Ok, I was wrong

exmachina fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 14, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Piter - Jesse Eisenberg
Duncan - Lakeith Stanfield
Feyd - Armie Hammer
Thufir - Timothy Dalton
Kynes - Sam Neill
Dr Yeuh - Ryan Gosling
Irulan - Emma Watson
Charles Dance as Shaddam fo sho

I don't know who for Alia though..

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really didn't love Sting's Feyd. I get the impression he probably cost too much to film because he's barely there until it's time to duel Paul whereas he kinda gets his own thread in the book and it felt like a lovely waste of a character compromised to try and hook general audiences in with a dumb celebrity cameo

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I know this poo poo is pretty obvious but after the Vegas-ruins scene of 2049 we better be in for some long beautiful shots. But there's so much going down in dune its be like 15 hours lol

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Also Denis Villeneuve and Roger Deakins are the only two people I'd trust to do Blood Meridian. Is deakins doing the cinematography for Dune?

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Yeah, I hope Han Zimmer is part of the music lmao

I'm really hyped for this poo poo now. This casting is great.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Peter dinklage as the shadout mapes in his most transformative role yet!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Chris Tucker as Rudy Rhod as Count Fenring.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

exmachina posted:

Shouldn't he look younger from all the anti-aging poo poo?

edit: This fan art looks like him:

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 14, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Farrier Theaks posted:

Also Denis Villeneuve and Roger Deakins are the only two people I'd trust to do Blood Meridian. Is deakins doing the cinematography for Dune?

Greig Fraser is DP, he shot Lion, ZD30, Foxcatcher, Rogue One

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

basic hitler posted:

I really didn't love Sting's Feyd. I get the impression he probably cost too much to film because he's barely there until it's time to duel Paul whereas he kinda gets his own thread in the book and it felt like a lovely waste of a character compromised to try and hook general audiences in with a dumb celebrity cameo

With two films they almost definitely have time for Feyd's arena fight, and I would hope they fit in the Fenrings too. The whole climax depends on them both being believable threats.

The fight with Jamis seems like a good ending for film 1, and then Feyd in the arena is a natural opening for film 2.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Greig Fraser is DP, he shot Lion, ZD30, Foxcatcher, Rogue One

I've only seen rogue one. I remember some good looking shots (especially in the beginning of the movie) but nothing really hit me like in blade runner or skyfall or sicario. I'm sure itll be good but man deakins :(

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Alia Shawkat as princess Irulan because the world needs more of her in our lives

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I'm pretty sure I have a mad crush on rebecca Ferguson
The last couple mission impossible movies were warmed-over garbage (like the rest of them) I dont remember anything about except her

Looking forward to her water of life trip

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Farrier Theaks posted:

I'm sure itll be good but man deakins :(

Word. I feel you there, but it's probably going to be too long of a shoot for someone as busy as Deakins. I think Villanueve has worked with Deakins enough times, and also worked with enough DPS, to be able to bring a lot of the visual style that made BR2049 so Dune-like when it came out.

Let's just say that if Frasier is hungry then this is his loving chance.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Farrier Theaks posted:

I'm pretty sure I have a mad crush on rebecca Ferguson
The last couple mission impossible movies were warmed-over garbage (like the rest of them) I dont remember anything about except her

Looking forward to her water of life trip

Yeah, she's the big unknown here. I thought Rogue Nation and Fallout both sucked, and I don't particularly remember her standing out, though I don't want to talk poo poo. Jessica is just about the most central character in the story so hopefully Ferguson is invested.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Yeah, she's the big unknown here. I thought Rogue Nation and Fallout both sucked, and I don't particularly remember her standing out, though I don't want to talk poo poo. Jessica is just about the most central character in the story so hopefully Ferguson is invested.

It's pretty impossible to fawn over actresses without coming off skeevy but i think she had a presence in MI that really stood out (though to be fair, it's an old tired franchise full of tired actors and also Tom cruise). She has a regal vibe but can also show a galactic endurance and hidden patience which I think is pretty much Jessica writ small. But I'm with you - dune is her story probably more than Paul's, and her actress has some heavy, heavy lifting.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
The biggest challenge I see with a film adaption is how to convey prescience/potential futures. It’s tough to present something that is obviously not in the present, but also not just some trite flash-forward or repeated vision of something important.

I’m not sure there’s any film that’s pulled it off, even in something like Run Lola Run (where I’d say it works because of the film’s structure). And how to convey it to the audience! Besides some abstract end-of-2001-a-space-odyssey I have no idea what’d work. Excited to see what they come up with though!