Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did you change the bulb bearings? It's not the car's fault if you don't maintain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I mean it lasted 11 years but I try to avoid touching the brakes ever, since they're so expensive to redo (except while sitting still at stoplights to prevent idiots from driving into the back of my car). I would have thought Superior German LEDhesives would have kept me going another 20-30 years. Harrumph I say

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Never
Lift

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Follow your heart and buy an M3 my son.

My original budget to replace my ZHP was $14k. I somehow convinced myself to go up to around $22k because I'm an idiot, but that's really the edge of my safe fun money that I won't regret spending. That prices me out of really good examples of M3s, otherwise I would. I keep seeing okay-ish examples at that price point that I have to yell at myself to ignore.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Did you change the bulb bearings? It's not the car's fault if you don't maintain it.

lol

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Well there's always a first time in life but yeah, I actually gave up on the oil separator for the crank case ventilation.

Don't buy N46

Just don't.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Why aren't you guys talking about xDelete? It's beautiful.

If this works on E70 X5Ms, that could result in a lot of cheap lols. Torque vectoring on 315s sounds like my kind of stupid.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I'm clearing some space in the shop so I can put the E90 on the lift tomorrow and get the intake manifold off. Also found a quite nasty hydraulic leak on the power steering line, but it looks like it's just the hose clamp giving up.

Hopefully the new oil separator will fix the nasty smokes, the alternative is the valve stem seals which is something I will not touch on a valvetronic unit.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Combat Theory posted:

I'm clearing some space in the shop so I can put the E90 on the lift tomorrow and get the intake manifold off. Also found a quite nasty hydraulic leak on the power steering line, but it looks like it's just the hose clamp giving up.

Hopefully the new oil separator will fix the nasty smokes, the alternative is the valve stem seals which is something I will not touch on a valvetronic unit.

Wow, a BMW with a power steering fluid leak?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I'm constantly amazed how incredibly bad this E90 is to work on. It appears it has been strategically designed to annoy you in every manner possible when trying to keep the car alive. Maybe it's just a very unlucky combi of chassis and engine and the other motorisations are better but this is absolute nightmare fuel.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I was screaming "THIS IS FOR ASH WITH A 5" when I did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lHvgj2THB8

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hahaha yay!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

meatpimp posted:

I was screaming "THIS IS FOR ASH WITH A 5" when I did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lHvgj2THB8

Disabled comments. Pfffffffffffffffffft

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Mischa did an M3 taxi running costs video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLaSiXmCA94

cliffs, assuming an 8 minute lap time to get to hours
Front pads - $450 - 50-60 laps (~6.5-8hr)
Front rotors - $1600 - 80 laps (~12hr)
Rear pads - $250 - 120 laps (~16hr)
Rear rotors - $250 - 400 laps (~54hr)
Driveshaft - $3400 - 350 laps (~47hr)
Rear Hubs - $1100 - 175 laps (~23.5hr)
Tires - $1100 - 80 laps (~10.75hr)
Fluid Changes - $7/lap or $56/hr

His total for running costs per lap was $65, or about $490/hr.

Not included was a misc replacement listed at an average of $22.5k / year. Also note that gas was not mentioned.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
$3400 driveshaft every 50 hours? Wtf

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472?lang=en

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug
Hello. I have never before considered a BMW, but this feels like a very tempting WRX/Golf R alternative? https://tinyurl.com/y62a6hvp

Can anyone tell me how much of a grade A moron I would be to buy this? It will be my only vehicle and I'm trying to stay out of repair shops.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Buy it and do a burnoot. F30s are pretty reliable and don’t tend to do old BMW things, at least not yet. It’s a very solid only car and that one seems well optioned to me, though Paradoxish knows F30 options better than I do. Also estoril is the correct F30 color (mine is mineral gray and I wish it weren’t).

The mileage is high, but below $20k USD is on the cheaper side. If you’re worried about the mileage, you could spend a little more for one with fewer miles.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Yes, buy an E9x M3. And when the A/C evaporator goes out and the dash has to be pulled to get to it, you’ll have the pleasure of forking over $2700 for the pleasure. fml

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ugh you guys are going to give me cold feet for when I check out this e90 on Saturday. A 10 year old used German car sounds like a terrible idea when I write it out.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Residency Evil posted:

Ugh you guys are going to give me cold feet for when I check out this e90 on Saturday. A 10 year old used German car sounds like a terrible idea when I write it out.

Nonsense. :rolleyes:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pull it out and save the money and weight ftw

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

try a 18 year old used german car :gritin:

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
no buy a 29 year old German car with hidden rust issues

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Seik posted:

Hello. I have never before considered a BMW, but this feels like a very tempting WRX/Golf R alternative? https://tinyurl.com/y62a6hvp

Can anyone tell me how much of a grade A moron I would be to buy this? It will be my only vehicle and I'm trying to stay out of repair shops.

If you're looking at Golf Rs then I don't know that an F30 is really going to be significantly more unreliable, although maybe a little bit more expensive if something goes wrong. The N55 engine seems... okay. A Golf R is honestly probably a more fun car than an F30 335, so maybe drive it before you get your heart set on it. They're still really fun cars, though.

Also, I'm insanely jealous that you've been able to find a perfectly optioned manual 335 for less than $20k USD, and a 2014 no less. The mileage is high-ish, but the price for those options is crazy good. Older cars with higher mileage, more common colors, and worse options are going for like $5k more than that anywhere near me. If you like it, try to have a pre-purchase inspection done just because the miles are a tad high.

If that car were in the US I'd be buying it today fwiw.

edit- the last car I actually saw in person was a pretty much entirely stripped down 2013 with almost 100k miles that the seller wanted $22k for. And it was silver :smith:

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 14, 2019

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

User Error posted:

no buy a 42 year old German car with massive rust issues

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I DD a 23 year old German car and my "new" garage queen is a 17 year old German car. Age is but a number.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Buy an E30 or 3

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Do NOT buy a golf. Buy a mini if you want a fun hatch

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Yes, buy an E9x M3. And when the A/C evaporator goes out and the dash has to be pulled to get to it, you’ll have the pleasure of forking over $2700 for the pleasure. fml

That is...not ideal. My air conditioner doesn't work great, but it does work. The evaporator on this car is not big enough I think.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Alright this E90 N46 is officially the creepiest engine I have ever worked on.

Car is consuming 1 liter of oil per 1000km, when hot: emits massive blue smoke after stopping and accelerating again (like an actual cloud of smoke that stands in the air)

Intake valves are absolutely clean, intake ports are clean

Engine has full compression.

poo poo idle and misfires under acceleration when cold.

New spark plugs (they are also clean after 2500 km which is the weardest part)

New ignition coils

New crank case ventilation and oil separator.

Also found a rusting vehicle frame below the air filter box (luckily in time)

I have a 27 year old e34 and a 20 year old e39 and their issues are absolute peanuts compared to this abomination.

My last guess is a blown oil ring on cylinder 4 that for whatever reason doesn't result in massive sud on the spark plug but I'm not taking this thing apart again that deep.
Also blown oil ring after 130000 km and proper service history sounds very unlikely.

Or the Valve Guide seals are pissing oil without depositing it on the actual valves.

Rest in peace you poo poo bucket.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 14, 2019

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Seik posted:

For what it’s worth, my current daily is a 2017 340xi with M-sport. I also recently owned a 2017 Golf R. The 340 is punchy off the line and very comfortable. The Golf was funner to drive and better in snow. Better handling in general.

The 340, even with M-sport, has terrible suspension. Way too soft and floaty.

If you get that plan on a tune to improve top end performance, some suspension upgrades, and replacements for the runflats.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is...not ideal. My air conditioner doesn't work great, but it does work. The evaporator on this car is not big enough I think.

On the I6 cars there’s a panel that can be removed to get to it. On the V8 it was covered and they probably said gently caress it but in German.

I was going to wrap the car because Space Gray is literally the most boring color but now I get to spend that on functional A/C. On the plus side someone’s side view mirror hit my front bumper and hood on the highway doing $1200 in damage. That’s a plus because I get to fix rock chips, a hood dent, and get to switch to a black grill.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Oooooh, that felt like a nut-punch. I paid $3200 at an independent mechanic to fix an evaporator leak on my M6 just before I sold it. That loving hurt.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Who needs A/C anyway?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've driven 2 e30s and my current e36 and none of them have had working AC for any appreciable amount of time. I just operate under the assumption that no BMW has working AC and my e46 AC working is a fluke.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

My ZHP's AC was just always mysteriously really lovely even though no one could ever find anything wrong and in the whole time I owned it it never got better or worse.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone know if the E90 M3 DCT trans is roughly equivalent in size to like an E36 ZF?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

E34 is still running its R12 filling in the AC

the e39 blew out its denso compressor, replaced with a used one for 50 Euro, works again like a charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I should probably unfollow this thread it is giving me bad ideas like turn in my 83k mi 135 that needs a little work and combine that with my signing bonus for something new and more expensive so it can collect dust all week while I'm gone m-th every week for work.