Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiberius Christ posted:

this is why the simpson meme thread is better

Simpsons memes are not funny though. Steamed Hams is the worst meme since rage comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

alight now im loving triggered

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They're usually not laugh-out-loud funny, but they are really clever and I'm often impressed with the way references are endlessly recombined. You can say that's lazy and that's fair, but it's pretty much the definition of a meme

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

tote up a bags posted:

This all implies the existence of a Chuck and a Sneed in the Simpsoniverse, who may or may not have ever been on camera. I will update the Simpwiki

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

is this true and real?

is this trill?

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Iron Crowned posted:

SIMPSONS MEMES ARE FUNNY!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

porfiria posted:

I also remember being shocked at how clumsy it was to have Lisa's big fear--being blamed by Dr. Hibbert for loving Bart up--actually come true. It's a very misanthropic, poorly developed episode.

The episode ends with everyone still asking Lisa to babysit their kids, implying that the adults all recognize that Bart is a little poo poo and that kids fall down and hurt themselves and Lisa is still a good person even though she makes mistakes sometimes. It's also a joke about how most parents are so desperate to get out of the house that they can overlook their kids potentially getting knocked unconscious and dragged to the hospital in a wagon. It's wry, realistic, and ultimately heartwarming -- that's an ending straight from the Golden era.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 8, 2019

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I remember being a bit thrown off by that episode the first time I saw it because it plays out like an actual nightmare someone might have, but now I respect it for that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I remember being a bit thrown off by that episode the first time I saw it because it plays out like an actual nightmare someone might have, but now I respect it for that.

this ep actually scared the poo poo out of me when i was a kid because my parents loved to gently caress off and put me in charge of my younger sister when i was only 8 or 9 constantly. and i think it did give me nightmares of that happening to her.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I heard someone insightful say that the reason The Simpsons were great for so long was they went one line past the obvious joke. The obvious joke is just the setup.

Nowadays it's just the obvious joke.

Yeah. My favorite bit is probably the "Is it about my cube?" exchange. I just didn't expect that Burns line at the end, but it still worked for him as a character.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I watched New Simpsons last night. I don't recall a single thing from it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I watched old Simpson’s last night and I remember laughing a lot at the funny jokes.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Cyril Sneer posted:

I watched New Simpsons last night. I don't recall a single thing from it.

It was the first new one I've watched in a LONG rear end time.
Nothing in it was particularly funny in any way. I thought about it a little this morning while brushing my teeth and realized that the same people who thought "glammed up Marge must actually be a drag queen" ended the episode saying "You never had us fooled honey!" when, ta-da, it was revealed she was not in fact a drag queen.

So, I was like, why did any of this happen at all. What was the entire point of randomly deciding to call her a drag queen in the first place (which suddenly made her popular to their group) and put her through the entire 'experience' of the episode only to end it by saying "we knew all along you weren't one". It made no sense.

Then I realized I was thinking about the plot of a Simpsons episode, shook my head and spit out my toothpaste and walked away.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I know that look. Homer is just wishing for death. :smith:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Stooge posted:

When Hank Scorpio chucks his moccasins away and asks Homer "you ever see a guy say goodbye to a shoe before" and Homer says "haha, yeah once", do you think Homer is referring to 5 seconds ago when he saw Hank chucking his shoes away?

Yes obviously and anyone who says otherwise is insane.

bubblebee
Jan 6, 2014
That one was in November.

The one last week wasn’t that bad but then it was.

The Simpsons now is just 22 minutes of waiting for two good Jokes

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

bubblebee posted:

That one was in November.

The one last week wasn’t that bad but then it was.

The Simpsons now is just 22 minutes of waiting for two good Jokes

oh they’re back up to two?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Found out recently a colleague at work hadnt seen much simpsons so we started showing a golden era ep every day at 5ish in our office auditorium and attendance has gone from 5-6 people to 60-100 depending on the day, it owns and proves good simpsons transcends generational and cultural barriers (i work in germany, with people from like 40+ different countries)

plus now like 50% of the internal reports over the last few weeks have included the word Cromulent in them

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
What're some good examples of funny jokes in the recent seasons?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

tote up a bags posted:

Found out recently a colleague at work hadnt seen much simpsons so we started showing a golden era ep every day at 5ish in our office auditorium and attendance has gone from 5-6 people to 60-100 depending on the day, it owns and proves good simpsons transcends generational and cultural barriers (i work in germany, with people from like 40+ different countries)

plus now like 50% of the internal reports over the last few weeks have included the word Cromulent in them

Have you gotten to the episode where the Germans buy the Power Plant yet?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Guavatin posted:

What're some good examples of funny jokes in the recent seasons?

The Simpsons was recently renewed for two more seasons.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
That's not funny man it's just dark

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, Homer and Marge are watching a "Stranger Things" parody together (Odder Stuff), but when Marge has to leave town she makes Homer promise not to watch it.

Homer hallucinates the chief Netflix content officer, who cameos as himself, in the TV encouraging him to watch it. This motherfucker shows up a bunch more. He's basically got as many lines as an actual celebrity guest star would have. I'm pretty sure this whole episode is just to kiss Netflix's rear end since they produce Disenchantment.

Homer watches it without her, she gets mad, Homer takes dance lessons to win her back.

Krusty puts on one of those Nickelodeon free shopping spree contests to get viewers back that Odder Things has stolen. Except at the end it's all of a sudden a contest between Bart, Milhouse and Ralph that Ralph wins.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Why watch Offer Stuff and not just watch Disenchantment?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Why watch Offer Stuff and not just watch Disenchantment?

They do plug Disenchantment.

Also Homer's looking for other stuff to watch and there's a Bojack Horseman but it's Marge and he deems it "too depressing".

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is this another one of those posts that sounds like a lazy parody but is actually an accurate description of a real episode?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I watched an episode of new Simpsons last night, from this season. I watched the entire thing and I wasn’t drunk and I seriously couldn’t tell you what the gently caress it was about, only that the humor didn’t feel at all like the simpsons, it genuinely felt like the Simpsons doing a bad Family Guy impression. It was even a bart episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

Is this another one of those posts that sounds like a lazy parody but is actually an accurate description of a real episode?

This was Sunday's episode.

The parodies in this thread are much more entertaining and creative than the actual episodes.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
"Odder Stuff" jfc

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Riptor posted:

"Odder Stuff" jfc

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAf6kT2GlUU

i wonder if this was the last great joke they ever wrote

its from season 10

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

its from season 10

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

its from season 10

I firmly believe the Behind the Laughter episode at the end of season 11 is the absolute last gasp of humor from the series. It’s like a comedic death rattle.

https://youtu.be/qnttBhGVytc

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This is the latest scene in the series that I'll ever quote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLzC3nPhUEM

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Asshole Rose
Dec 28, 2017
I thought this episode was in poor taste

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Whoops, i forgot to tell a joke!

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
if we elect bernie and set things right maybe he will mandate the simpsons be cancelled as part of putting the timeline back into correct position

we can only pray

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Riptor posted:

Whoops, i forgot to tell a joke!

"The joke is in the lower right corner." - Al Jean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless