Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Palemdromes posted:

Steam has Civ VI on sale for 75% off, 15 bucks. Is the base game worth it at that price? I put around 500 hours into either Civ IV or V, I don't remember which. Always been a big fan of the game, but it's just not high on my priorities anymore.

You'll enjoy it for the first 10 hours, then there is about a 50% chance that you'll enjoy it past that. For $15, it's not a terrible gamble.

It's the point at which you decided you like the game, and you want to get good at it, that it starts to insult you with lack of information and neglected mechanics. So if you like it just enough to pick it up and play a couple of hours every couple of weeks, then it's a decent buy.

It's free to play this week anyway. So give it a shot first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I fell for it and pre-ordered with the 5€ discount on Steam.

Looking forward to some Qhapaq Ñan shenanigans and the mandatory goon No Hungary game. :getin:

Will the new play by cloud make it easier than PYDT?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Ulvino posted:

Will the new play by cloud make it easier than PYDT?

I'm hoping so since you can actually start the game, and then convert to cloud saves. People could actually set a time to play the first hour or two in order to get the early turns out of the way, and then switch to cloud for the later turns.

8 month long games are a pretty large barrier to entry to multiplayer for me at the moment.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I've been dragged kicking and screaming into playing 6. I was decent at 5, so what else, aside from the game not punishing you for going wide, should I know to transition from 5 to 6? Still base game, no R&F yet though I might get it in the sale.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Luceo posted:

I've been dragged kicking and screaming into playing 6. I was decent at 5, so what else, aside from the game not punishing you for going wide, should I know to transition from 5 to 6? Still base game, no R&F yet though I might get it in the sale.
https://youtu.be/IQuzAUAaWjg

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Fleetwood Crack posted:

It will go on steam sale eventually, but not for at least a year.

I bet it gets it first discount at the Summer Sale, and then bigger ones at the next Fall and Holiday Sales.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Thanks, but I'm looking for a concise text summary, not a 20-minute video. (this describes me searching for anything on the internet)

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Wooo, green man gaming emailed my GS key.

Now to not play it until the end of the month most likely :negative:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Luceo posted:

Thanks, but I'm looking for a concise text summary, not a 20-minute video. (this describes me searching for anything on the internet)

This overview on Civilization Analyst might be what you're looking for

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I think I have the opposite problem as J. I get bogged down because I'm slow and bad. I quickly get boxed in early half the time and usually don't like starting wars (gaining a bunch of cities in spots I think are bad)
I love Indonesia but it feels like a huge gamble on what you're starting tiles are. I'm probably also really bad at adapting in game.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
In civ 6 you really want to expand asap. You want like one city every 10 turns until you have 10ish cities at turn 100. That should be your benchmark. If you can roughly follow that you'll start crushing the lower difficulties.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The expansion releases at midnight EST so those west of that time zone can play today. I'm in Los Angeles, so I'm happy to play at 9pm :)

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Mayveena posted:

The expansion releases at midnight EST so those west of that time zone can play today. I'm in Los Angeles, so I'm happy to play at 9pm :)

Holy crap, I am a day behind apparently! I thought this was all happening Thursday. I get to play GS tonight woooo!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

CompeAnansi posted:

In civ 6 you really want to expand asap. You want like one city every 10 turns until you have 10ish cities at turn 100. That should be your benchmark. If you can roughly follow that you'll start crushing the lower difficulties.

Jesus Christ I've never had like more than 6

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

onesixtwo posted:

Holy crap, I am a day behind apparently! I thought this was all happening Thursday. I get to play GS tonight woooo!
Bah my wife has class early in the morning, so I'm not allowed to stay up to play it. Welp I'm going to bed early at least so I can wake up and playyyyyy. Took tomorrow off work for this one.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Jesus Christ I've never had like more than 6

Same, I'm playing on regular sized maps and never go above 5-7 cities.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
By the time you're on your 4th settler you're looking at 20 turns for a new settler, but that's only if you've put both your governor slots into Magnus and built almost nothing else in your capital. Even with +50% to settler production, the only way you're getting 10 cities by turn 100 is by playing on a very low difficulty or an AI neighbour that likes to send settlers out by themselves.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Marmaduke! posted:

By the time you're on your 4th settler you're looking at 20 turns for a new settler, but that's only if you've put both your governor slots into Magnus and built almost nothing else in your capital. Even with +50% to settler production, the only way you're getting 10 cities by turn 100 is by playing on a very low difficulty or an AI neighbour that likes to send settlers out by themselves.
Facts.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
free trial trip report: this poo poo looks and plays like a phone game. $0 is too rich for my blood

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The trick in civ1 is to go max 100% tax, buy barracks and then switch the completed production shields to settler, repeating with every new city you build. It's the original ICS. You can get ten cities very, very quickly and then its basically how big is your starting island?

I still play civ1 very regularly. Started an instagram: https://www.instagram.com/civdosannals/

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Marmaduke! posted:

That's wrong. Good players regularly hit that benchmark at 100 turns on Diety. For example, this is from a twitch broadcast today: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/380021827?t=1h43m

If you want to learn to get better at the game, I highly recommend watching that guy play. He's super helpful and very good.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 13, 2019

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Marmaduke! posted:

how quickly we forget the :black101: Method

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

CompeAnansi posted:

That's wrong. Good tournament-level players regularly hit that benchmark at 100 turns on Diety. For example, this is from a twitch broadcast today: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/380021827?t=1h43m
Also, are you sure this game was played at standard speed?

Crypto Cobain fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 13, 2019

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
@Fleetwood Crack, you're just giving bad advice here if you want to discount all the advice that comes from good (or as you call them 'tournament-level') players. That is the benchmark. You might find it hard to hit it, but it is absolutely possible and absolutely something you should be pushing for. I can't possibly see what your point is here.

EDIT: And he always plays at standard speed.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

CompeAnansi posted:

@Fleetwood Crack, you're just giving bad advice here if you want to discount all the advice that comes from good (or as you call them 'tournament-level') players. That is the benchmark. You might find it hard to hit it, but it is absolutely possible and absolutely something you should be pushing for. I can't possibly see what your point is here.

EDIT: And he always plays at standard speed.
This guy is still using archers, horseman, spearmen, and warriors (and few of them) at turn 100. If this was a multiplayer game or he'd had an aggressive neighbor he'd have been crushed off the map.

It's bad advice.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
No disrespect to a player who is far better than I am, but he has a godly start there, which will definitely help get you up to a high level. I don't think I've ever had an Emperor-level start next to a major natural wonder but I think I might be able to crank them settlers up quickly if I had. The map starting options (which I don't think he tweaked) are also massively beneficial, in particular abundant resources combined with grabbing the Temple of Artemis. On a small map it means you're more likely to get an early wonder that you want that much more. I'll keep watching the vid some more (I've found the first vid on YouTube, the constant interruptions on twitch are terrible but he is a good if glacial teacher) but if you think that this is an everyday start that anyone could pull off you're barking mad :)

He even just said "the only way this could be better is if I get a relic", gee I wonder what's going to happen soon...

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
This isn't about multiplayer though, it is about single player on standard settings. If you took my advice as being directed towards multiplayer, then I am sorry for the misunderstanding. The strategies for multiplayer, as you rightly point out, are very very different.

And yeah it was a good start. But poke through his vods or his youtube. Even on mediocre starts he is regularly around the 10 cities at turn 100 mark in diety. Or even better, go ahead and check out his stream when it is live and ask him if 10 cities at turn 100 is a viable benchmark to aim for. I know he'll say yes because he said that is the benchmark he aims for.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

CompeAnansi posted:

This isn't about multiplayer though, it is about single player on standard settings.
Abundant resources is not a standard setting, it's easy mode.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I mean this is a silly argument, but here are some stats. I looked at the 10 most recent playthroughs he did on youtube and here are the details:

Settings: New Age, Wet Climate, Standard Speed

Trajan 13 cities
Tomyris 12 cities
Gorgo 8 cities
Teddy 8 cities
Seondeok 7 cities
Saladin 7 cities
Chandragupta 5 cities
Wilhemlina 5 cities
Victoria 5 cities
Shaka 4 cities

Average: 7.4 cities at turn 100. Is that less than 10? Yes. So in that you are correct that you cannot expect to hit 10 cities at turn 100 reliably. Maybe 8 would be a better guideline for turn 100, but you absolutely should generally be aiming for 10+ cities by the time you win.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The AI starts blocking me when I have like two cities sometimes. I guess I need to just settle cities that aren't going to do poo poo for a while. Like squat on the spot even if I don't have aqueducts yet

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The AI starts blocking me when I have like two cities sometimes. I guess I need to just settle cities that aren't going to do poo poo for a while. Like squat on the spot even if I don't have aqueducts yet
This happened to me the current game I'm playing (Immortal difficulty, standard resources, AI+ mod). Both my neighbors (france and kongo) forward settled me within the first 15 turns while I was still building my first settler, trapping me in limiting me to four cities (unless/until I go to war). It's my worst game in a long time as a result.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
In one of the streams they talked about updates to the world builder and modding tools, so I hope we see some cool new total conversions.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Midnight est right?

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Midnight est right?
So we are told.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Gyshall posted:

Midnight est right?
That's what steam says so it should be right.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Although some people in the chat are saying 11pm est now. Not sure if that is correct though.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
https://steamcommunity.com/games/289070/announcements/detail/1742234241889076456

Looks like there's AI/balance/UI changes for the base game and rise and fall coming for free with the launch of GS.

[MULTIPLAYER] - Multiple desync and stability fixes. That's good to see.

Combat balance – double wall hit points for all three tiers. Outer defense strength modifier increase for all 3 tiers to 3 (was 2). Holy moly.
This is a stealth nerf to alexander and just made siege units a whole lot more important.

-Significant improvements to turn/AI processing times, especially late-game.

Crypto Cobain fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 14, 2019

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

So if, for some reason, someone had the itch to play Civ 6 for a few weeks, but was waiting to scratch that itch until the expansion, could someone say... pre-install the game? How would one maximize their addiction-level craving for Civ 6 tonight?!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

quote:

If an AI can take a city this turn, don't try to defend your units first in the process

Hmmm. We'll see, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Hey, thanks for this, it's good stuff.

Is there any reason to not keep a captured city in 6? In 5 I'd raze lovely AI-placed cities all the time, but I'm not seeing any downside yet this time around.