Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Captain Invictus posted:

Speaking of the konosuba guy, they also do combatants will be dispatched, where an evil Kamen rider type supervillain and his child sidekick android get transported to a fantasy world in order to investigate whether it is worth invading for their evil organization. They can summon any equipment they desire by spending Malice Points, which they get by doing evil deeds (everything from petty insults to over the top brutality) and every. Single. Character. Is a huge rear end in a top hat dipshit, so if you like konosuba, you'll like this

Only issue is the lack of chapters really, but what's there is well worth reading

I like this one, and the dark priestess is the best at dates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Youjo Senki
https://mangadex.org/title/18803/youjo-senki
Main character is a salaryman who dies and reincarnates into alternate universe version of Prussia/Germany with bonus magic just in time for war to break out. Main character's goal is to be assigned to a safe rear echelon job. Everything done to achieve this goal is misinterpreted and backfires.. Includes genderbend which pisses off the main character to no end.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I know that one is fairly popular and people seem to like it but everything I've seen of it has just felt kind of gross to me.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stuff I saw posted about the anime made it seem like it was a little too fascist for me.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

From what I remember of the first season, it isn't particularly gross or fascist. But it's definitely a questionable premise, and there's no guarantee it doesn't get worse later.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I watched most of that season, though I haven't made the time to finish it. It was fun for a while, seeing her being an absolute terror while also getting completely ruined by the God's machinations, which is abnormal for me because I don't normally like stories based around rear end in a top hat characters. Maybe because she got more than she gave? That's mostly why I haven't quite been able to finish the anime or picked up the novels even though Amazon refuses to not keep putting them in my recommendations. (I wish there was a Not Interested option so I could get the bad* out of there.)

I still distinctly remember the ED, though.

*Both of the currently relevant bad isekai series have been stuck there for months and refuse to leave even though I never interact with them. Multiple volumes just sitting there, taunting with their popularity.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's basically Overlord, except rather than a salaryman who thinks the corporate structure is the pinnacle of human social hierarchy and how he just needs to be a benevolent CEO while his followers think he's an omnipotent omniscient God who can do no wrong, Tanya is a salaryman who pines for a safe, stable life and due to circumstances of their reincarnation, joins the army hoping for a rear line posting. Due to their diligence, future knowledge, and NotGod's blessings, Tanya wildly succeeds but fails to secure a rear line posting because everyone sees Tanya as a bloodthirsty warmonger.

I felt like the anime was decent but focused far too much ton Tanya's wacky faces to hook people.

I'd probably rate it behind Overlord in general. Both series are basically about watching the main character dig themselves deeper. Overlord has a more diverse cast that showcases some growth, partly due to literal game mechanics and partly because Ainz genuinely desires to see his subordinates break free from their NPC programming. Tanya has a smaller cast and much of it are made up of grown military men who are managing a war they are mainly making gains through Tanya's efforts. On the other hand, Tanya seems more finite and length and feels like it'll have a definite conclusion. Overlord's author has expressed a desire to end but plans change and poo poo.

And yeah it can be pretty gross since Tanya the salaryman is isn't that far removed That "Rational" rear end in a top hat On Youtube.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Bakanogami posted:

Stuff I saw posted about the anime made it seem like it was a little too fascist for me.

Something to remember about Youjo Senki is that it's World War I, not II. Germany wasn't really great in WWI (no one was, really), but they weren't "euphemism for evil" levels of WWII either. It still has the titular "evil" character but at least that lets it dodge the fascism and Nazi apologism.

Or the anime did at least, maybe the manga has that sort of thing.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 10, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bremen posted:

Something to remember about Youjo Senki is that it's World War I, not II. Germany wasn't really great in WWI (no one was, really), but they weren't "euphemism for evil" levels of WWII either. It still has the titular "evil" character but at least that lets it dodge the fascism and Nazi apologism.

Or the anime did at least, maybe the manga has that sort of thing.

They're both effectively WW1, there's just a bunch of anachronisms in the aesthetics because they throw in WW2 tech. The manga is slightly worse on this on this, with the Francois Republic riding giant legless horse-shaped mounts to fly...with underslung twin miniguns.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Then again in the manga everybody wears capes and look more like super heroes than army men.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

RatHat posted:

Haven’t seen anyone mention Kemono Michi yet, by the same person as Konosuba(which is also an isekai but has its own thread). It’s about an animal-loving pro wrestler that gets summoned to a fantasy world and decides to open a pet store.

I just found it, it's real fun, makes me long for more Konosuba.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know where to look, has anyone seen any idiot musclehead in an isekai mangas? Most VR MMO ones are all just 'I just want to solo/be left alone' all the time and get invited to group up with other people once it turns out that being able to make your own potions isn't a trash skill for idiots.

Basically, I want a manga about Tomo or Himawari Ranna wrestling bears in an Isekai.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I only read like, four chapters, so I don't know if it turned awful, but the wrestleman with a pet store isekai starts that way. Claims to be by the Konosuba guy, for what that's worth.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I was looking through Mangadex trying to recall one that I thought would match, only to realize I was thinking of another that doesn't quite fit.* I did stumble across a couple series I hadn't seen that possibly seem worth sharing though.

An Oldman in Counterworld
This one has an interesting setup. A 73 year old tea plantation owner gets taken by a god in place of his grandson. He asks for a few things and gets sent to another world as a 63 year old man and begins to live a leisurely life. The only thing I'm worried about is that there's only one chapter out and holy crap it's got some breakneck pacing. I hope it's only due to getting set up and it evens out, because it's grabbed my interest.

Drop!! A Tale of the Fragrance Princess
This has a common setup: Girl gets reincarnated as a villain character from an otome game, and goes about avoiding the bad end. In this case she (kind of) avoids the prince and decides to focus on her family's magic (plant focused) and become an herbalist, starting with cosmetic oils but also keeping in mind things like perfume, medicine and tea. (Coincidentally she seems to have studied and had a thing for plants in her last life.) This one could peter out and grow boring if it rehashes the usual plot progression, but so far I'm interested in seeing where things go.

*Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!, which certainly has an idiot protag who gets into situations that end up metaphorically wrestling bears though, so maybe it's close enough? She's exactly halfway between the strongest and weakest of every creature in the world, from goblins to ancient dragons, in every way, including magic, strength, resistance, etc.. I'm kinda 50/50 on whether to recommend the manga (it annoyingly skips around with time skips and flashbacks) or LN (things kinda start to get repetitive by the end of the 3rd volume, but by the end of the 5th I was interested again), but if you want an introduction there's a few chapters up on Mangadex from before it was licensed.

Onean fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 12, 2019

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Read the lightnovel honestly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know where to look, has anyone seen any idiot musclehead in an isekai mangas? Most VR MMO ones are all just 'I just want to solo/be left alone' all the time and get invited to group up with other people once it turns out that being able to make your own potions isn't a trash skill for idiots.

Basically, I want a manga about Tomo or Himawari Ranna wrestling bears in an Isekai.

while it doesn't focus entirely around her, one of the characters in The Misfortunes of Local Knight Hans is a Kamina-esque idiot meathead character with absurd power. Like, Superman-esque power. And she only gets more ridiculously strong from there.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Skeleton Knight has a fair amount of that, Arc powers through everything and he doesn't do much crafting.

Also it's not really Isekai, but this is a good one if you like idiot muscleheads.
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/magic-muscle-is-much-more-important-than-such-a-thing/

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

while it doesn't focus entirely around her, one of the characters in The Misfortunes of Local Knight Hans is a Kamina-esque idiot meathead character with absurd power. Like, Superman-esque power. And she only gets more ridiculously strong from there.

Yeah I'm all caught up on that one.

The Spider girl one is still really good too. I can't wait for her to finally get out of the Labyrinth though. My strategy of forgetting about it for 16 months sure paid off though because I had a huge chunk to read through.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I do wanna see this drider form and what shortcomings it has, where maybe the top body is actually just like a camouflage.

^^ Above is a speculation spoiler, not a "I've read ahead" spoiler of I'm a spider, so what ^^

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Onean posted:

Drop!! A Tale of the Fragrance Princess

or go too far on the father-daughter angle (unlikely since she's so far just using it as an excuse to avoid the prince)

Stayed up too late reading the LN. This definitely isn't a problem, unless you really don't like the overbearing yet doting father/caring daughter pair.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

this is the one you want

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I read through Chihoukishi Hans no Juna today and was pretty entertained by that. The whole thing references various kinds of Isekai and the types of Isekai protagonists you meet. By the time I got to the end of it, it looked like it was developing into a possible war between two factions of Isekai protagonists.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

khy posted:

Skeleton Knight has a fair amount of that, Arc powers through everything and he doesn't do much crafting.

Also it's not really Isekai, but this is a good one if you like idiot muscleheads.
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/magic-muscle-is-much-more-important-than-such-a-thing/

Skeleton Knight has proven to be a pretty good recommendation, though I do wish the main conflict wasn't human trafficking Elves. Reminds me of the part of Overlord where he was just pretending to be a normal adventurer using swords and such.

Dunno where I stumbled across it but Reincarnated as a Dragon's Egg - Let's Aim to be the Strongest has been pretty good. I might just be stupid but the artstyle seems pretty novel. Or at the very least it's different from the usual style.

Venuz Patrol posted:

this is the one you want

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

RareAcumen posted:

Dunno where I stumbled across it but Reincarnated as a Dragon's Egg - Let's Aim to be the Strongest has been pretty good. I might just be stupid but the artstyle seems pretty novel. Or at the very least it's different from the usual style.

I also came across this last night, but I only just read it. I really like the art style myself, I think it's good. The rest is good so far too, and it scratches the same itch as spider-isekai for me, which is nice since the next releases are still a month out for the LN and manga for that.

This cover was what first got me interested.

This page (and the fact it keeps looking like this) is where I decided I'd give the series a bit of leeway if things got sketchy, which it hasn't needed to use.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
His lizard girlfriend is extremely good

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 13, 2019

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The manga's release schedule is messed up. It seems like it randomly goes months without updating.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I'm kinda digging the whole Isekai'ed into monsters thing. 4 of the last 5 I read were good. There was THE slime one, the spider one, this dragon one, and that one about the dude that could possess different monsters that ended early, (last one was Re:monster which got real poo poo, real fast)

Anything else like the first four?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Anora posted:

I'm kinda digging the whole Isekai'ed into monsters thing. 4 of the last 5 I read were good. There was THE slime one, the spider one, this dragon one, and that one about the dude that could possess different monsters that ended early, (last one was Re:monster which got real poo poo, real fast)

Anything else like the first four?

It's not isekai, but I'll never miss a chance to rec Undead Adventurer. Veteran though lower ranked adventurer is doing his daily grind in the local lower level labyrinth when he finds an uncharted area where he go's into and is transported to a large area with the most eldritch looking dragon ever who proceeds to blitz him. He wakes up wondering WTF just happened and notices he's a skeleton now. Some REALLY good world and mechanics explanation that makes the whole thing feel like Dark Souls mixed with Dragons Crown.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 14, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dragon one is better than slime one so far, largely because it hasn't yet revealed any completely bullshit abilities on the part of the protagonist. Hard to say how it compares with Kumoko this early, since Kumoko had a period early on before it reached the "OP to the point where it hurts my enjoyment of the story" level (I would say that things started going downhill around when she got the ability to split her mind, though even then it managed to stay entertaining by splitting its focus among other characters).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of Kumoko I’m not really a fan of how quickly she justifies killing humans, when her goal for a while now was to evolve to a form that she can communicate with.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure she explicitly got a "your conscience doesn't care anymore lol" skill or something of that nature before. If they lean into that it's good imo.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

RatHat posted:

Speaking of Kumoko I’m not really a fan of how quickly she justifies killing humans, when her goal for a while now was to evolve to a form that she can communicate with.

Kumoko non spoilers, but whatever let's be safe:

She spent a good amount of time living in a kill or be killed world, as one of the weakest beings around for a long time. That sort of stressful living environment probably fucks with your boundaries a little bit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RatHat posted:

edit: Edited out post since I was under the impression the web novel was being discussed (which was pretty understandable since most isekai originate from web novels and this thread doesn't specify manga, but I don't want to spoil anyone who isn't aware that the manga is based off a WN/LN).

edit2: I'll add back in the stuff about (these aren't WN-specific spoilers)the protagonist not really being lonely and wanting to communicate for the sake of convenience and protecting themselves from human adventurers, though.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 15, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

This actually didn't bother me that much, since it was tied into one of the series' more unique and appealing plot points. Part of what makes Kumoko better than other "OP protagonist" series is that the protagonist is literally not human in origin and doesn't really serve as a self-insert.

Uhhhh I don’t think this was revealed in the manga yet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RatHat posted:

Uhhhh I don’t think this was revealed in the manga yet.

I think they're just talking about Kumoko being a spider instead of a person like your usual isekai.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Thats what i thought too

If thats not what they're talking about please don't correct us

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RareAcumen posted:

I think they're just talking about Kumoko being a spider instead of a person like your usual isekai.

Oh ok I thought you were implying something else.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

that and solo leveling are the only ones I've seen that lean into the characters losing their humanity through the skills they require

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Gamer and Overlord do that a bit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

everythingWasBees posted:

that and solo leveling are the only ones I've seen that lean into the characters losing their humanity through the skills they require

Death Mage is all about the MC slowly turning into a lovecraftian horror. And Death March uses the MC getting a super high mental resistance stat to excuse him no longer feeling anything from killing people.