Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Luceo posted:

Hey, thanks for this, it's good stuff.

Is there any reason to not keep a captured city in 6? In 5 I'd raze lovely AI-placed cities all the time, but I'm not seeing any downside yet this time around.
With the rise and fall xpac, city loyalty is introduced as a mechanic. Some cities (especially larger ones that are further from the rest of your empire) will rebel and flip to a 'free-city' as quickly as 3 turns after being captured. Those cities are sometimes better razed.

This arguably annoying mechanic can be disabled with a mod, but that would make some civ bonuses pointless (dido, eleanor of aquatine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

quote:

AI now simplifies/focuses trade deals when requesting trades, rather than asking/offering a smorgasbord of items.

quote:

Civilization “Jersey” System: Automatically adjusts Civilization color schemes if they are too close in color range to each other.

I like these changes

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
"Spread out all Civilization and City-State starting positions where possible when generating the map."

Just found that under espionage changes, oddly enough. Great change though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
3.0 GB update

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok maybe I'm just used to Paradox games with all DLC being additive but when I go to start a new game I have to choose between rise and fall OR gathering storm, but not both??? Or it is additive?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Baronjutter posted:

Ok maybe I'm just used to Paradox games with all DLC being additive but when I go to start a new game I have to choose between rise and fall OR gathering storm, but not both??? Or it is additive?

Additive

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Huh, they added a "play by cloud" multiplayer option that acts like everyone just taking turns on the same save

I swear the game just looks way better, its kinda hard to describe

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 14, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh. Two versions of Eleanor of Aquitaine, one ruling England, the other France. Funky.

I have absolutely no idea how the Maori are going to play so I'm of course going to play them first. Hell yeah.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I wandered past Kilamanjaro on turn 30 or so and noticed hrm this hill tile has some weird yields... 6 food, 2 production, 1 science. It turns out apparently it erupted 3 times already?? Crazy!

Setting disasters to max highly recommended.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Straight into Maori as a kiwi and am disappointed. You don't get the decent starting seed everyone else does, the second you find a decent spot there's already a city there, so you spend ages trying to find anywhere that isn't totally bum that hasn't already been taken.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Are you using the lense that shows where you can settle? Should give some forewarning.

CompeAnansi posted:

I mean this is a silly argument, but here are some stats. I looked at the 10 most recent playthroughs he did on youtube and here are the details:

Settings: New Age, Wet Climate, Standard Speed

Trajan 13 cities
Tomyris 12 cities
Gorgo 8 cities
Teddy 8 cities
Seondeok 7 cities
Saladin 7 cities
Chandragupta 5 cities
Wilhemlina 5 cities
Victoria 5 cities
Shaka 4 cities

Average: 7.4 cities at turn 100. Is that less than 10? Yes. So in that you are correct that you cannot expect to hit 10 cities at turn 100 reliably. Maybe 8 would be a better guideline for turn 100, but you absolutely should generally be aiming for 10+ cities by the time you win.

Oh good I'm glad you did this as I looked at a few and didn't see 10 cities by turn 100 often. But it's certainly fair to expect a player to aim for a large empire, and the sooner the better for the avalanche effect.

Interestingly in the update they've slightly weakened the govt building that gives bonus housing, so less reason to aim for a tall civ. ABE (always be expanding).

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 14, 2019

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Tamarillo posted:

Straight into Maori as a kiwi and am disappointed. You don't get the decent starting seed everyone else does, the second you find a decent spot there's already a city there, so you spend ages trying to find anywhere that isn't totally bum that hasn't already been taken.

They're extremely strong. With the extra production on forests and jungle, the extra food from fishing and the extra palace housing, virtually anywhere is great.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

First world council and the vote was split 2 v 2 to either condemn Islam or Catholicism. Catholicism is condemned because the game just randomly picked between them.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Did that trigger a literal war on Christmas?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The Human Crouton posted:

First world council and the vote was split 2 v 2 to either condemn Islam or Catholicism. Catholicism is condemned because the game just randomly picked between them.

Lol

So wait, the resolution was "which religion shall we condemn" and, what, did anybody pick that or did it fall out of the sky?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Aight guys I broke my oath and bought an actual Civ/xp/dlc for full price. If you wanna have some goon games just hit me up!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
40 DOLLAAAARRRRS!!!!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Lol

So wait, the resolution was "which religion shall we condemn" and, what, did anybody pick that or did it fall out of the sky?

It was something like allowing all players to kill that religion's religious units and gain diplomatic points.

And people did vote for it at least. Game just flipped a coin to decide which of the two tying results would be implemented.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My first impression - Lots of QOL and little improvements. Graphically, lots of new details and I love how geographical features (rivers/deserts) are all named now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love how 5+ ai send me tiny trade offers every other turn due to the new resource system...

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Y'know, I love Civilization dearly, but sometimes I feel like i'm clicking random buttons and seeing what sticks.

New expansion is a definite improvement however.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I built a city on a peninsula with two water hexes on either side, and the city has a canal going through it. God, what a great little detail.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Huge change - settled on a luxury and tried to sell it to an so civ. This was a major way to ramp up at higher difficulties as you could easily get 6 or 7 gold per turn with no downside. When I offered it now the ai offered me a lump sum of one gold. It’s like a big middle finger from the designers that it’s one gold and not a “no thanks” and I love it. selling early luxuries was always such a cop out and this will make deity much more challenging.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Tom Tucker posted:

Huge change - settled on a luxury and tried to sell it to an so civ. This was a major way to ramp up at higher difficulties as you could easily get 6 or 7 gold per turn with no downside. When I offered it now the ai offered me a lump sum of one gold. It’s like a big middle finger from the designers that it’s one gold and not a “no thanks” and I love it. selling early luxuries was always such a cop out and this will make deity much more challenging.
You should try trading with other civs, I'm playing immortal and just got 9 gpt for a wine.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
https://www.twitch.tv/thegamemechanic is starting a game on disaster 4 with all standard settings on diety with Mali if anyone wants to watch that play out. He does play super slow though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Quill18 has an ongoing series on Deity as well.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tom Tucker posted:

The AI has always been willing to lowball you if they don't like you and don't particularly feel the need for more amenities. I've never seen it happen so drastically right off the bat, though.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Seriously considering picking the expansion up - I have Civ6 but I always get very bored by midgame once your base is established and it's just a matter of having more troops to kill other people's troops while clicking next turn to a science/culture/domination victory, this looks like it'll spice things up quite a bit and I might even go as far as finishing a game (plus with my new PC I might not have to wait 5 minutes between turns anymore)

questions:

- where can I get a (textbased, not video) basic hint/tips/strategy guide with sample build orders, tech to prioritize, how to spot good city locations etc? I haven't played in forever and would enjoy a refresher before diving back in
- is there a proper Real Earth map, and is that any fun? I remember enjoying something like that a lot back in, uuuuh, civ2 or civ3 ?
- any must have mods?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Everything is video nowadays, however there is still a text based wiki you could use. You could also ask questions here or on civfanatics.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mayveena posted:

Everything is video nowadays, however there is still a text based wiki you could use. You could also ask questions here or on civfanatics.

Yeah one thing I remember stumped me pretty hard was with all the new possible buildings/districts/improvements, what are the pitfalls to avoid: which districts or wonders or buildings to absolutely prioritize, which ones to leave for later, which ones to only build in certain conditions etc., and also how to settle cities properly as to maximize their potential

also, religion: I remember always having trouble with spreading my religion, I'd always get out-pressured by neighbors and only barely managed to keep my own cities with my religion, and if I tried to "attack" other civs with my missionaries they'd get ultra pissy and denounce me non-stop, basically meaning 0 chance to ever be at peace or in good terms with anyone even remotely near my borders (which might be by design but is not really that fun - but I feel if you neglect religion you lose out on a ton of potential bonuses)

which wiki is the best one? I see two, one on Gamepedia, one on Fandom

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's been fixed as it's been awhile since I last played. But I always turn off religious victory, the AI completely floods the map with missionaries and apostles and it seems impossible to keep up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Popete posted:

Maybe it's been fixed as it's been awhile since I last played. But I always turn off religious victory, the AI completely floods the map with missionaries and apostles and it seems impossible to keep up.

Yeah I don't know how they do it. I decided to focus on religion early on and by the time I've got my first apostle a wave of 6 french apostles are washing up on my shore and all are mega super powered and can instantly kill all my own apostles while taking like 10 damage.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I don't know how they do it. I decided to focus on religion early on and by the time I've got my first apostle a wave of 6 french apostles are washing up on my shore and all are mega super powered and can instantly kill all my own apostles while taking like 10 damage.

The AI loves theocracy and faith policies, which multiply whatever benefits it's getting from difficulty level.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Popete posted:

That seems to have been fixed, I've only seen two so far, from separate factions.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The only religion victory I got it was because I used military to wipe out the other religious civs.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Communist Bear posted:

That seems to have been fixed, I've only seen two so far, from separate factions.

I think they fixed that awhile ago, there was some bit of code that made all civs prioritize religion, if I remember rightly.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

TorakFade posted:

Yeah one thing I remember stumped me pretty hard was with all the new possible buildings/districts/improvements, what are the pitfalls to avoid: which districts or wonders or buildings to absolutely prioritize, which ones to leave for later, which ones to only build in certain conditions etc., and also how to settle cities properly as to maximize their potential

also, religion: I remember always having trouble with spreading my religion, I'd always get out-pressured by neighbors and only barely managed to keep my own cities with my religion, and if I tried to "attack" other civs with my missionaries they'd get ultra pissy and denounce me non-stop, basically meaning 0 chance to ever be at peace or in good terms with anyone even remotely near my borders (which might be by design but is not really that fun - but I feel if you neglect religion you lose out on a ton of potential bonuses)

which wiki is the best one? I see two, one on Gamepedia, one on Fandom

The gamepedia one did a great job in explaining districts, I didn't understand them either.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

I think they fixed that awhile ago, there was some bit of code that made all civs prioritize religion, if I remember rightly.

Sort of. There were two bugs: there was a set of universal priorities that were accidentally never applied, but there are also additional priority tweaks that get added as the game progresses through different eras--in particular dialing down the emphasis on faith later in the game. There was a second bug that accidentally accelerated this process prematurely during the Classical Era.

Firaxis fixed both bugs at the same time, so the net effect is that the AI cares less about faith during every era except the Classical Era--which happens to be when it's building a lot of core districts, so it still winds up a bit overweight on holy sites.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Just downloaded Gathering Storm. Is there any intro video? Usually watch those at least once before playing. I'm thinking one of the "quality of life" measures I took from this thread might have disabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Downloading now.

Also, I didn't see the patch notes on here. Here they are in case anyone's interested.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/patch-notes-gathering-storm-launch-update-for-vanilla-rise-and-fall.27312/

Some pretty good ones in there.

Alternate skin for Scout unit that replaces the Scout’s dog with three cats. Available to players who have linked their 2K Account.