Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

insta posted:

Haha yeah I know what .. *squints* a car nutsack is doing on the ground haha

Still laughing over this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

You're saying... petrol is stored in the balls?

It's the car equivalent of an inguinal hernia.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Fender Anarchist posted:

hmm what's the most likely reason for metal parts falling off a car in an area that sees decent amounts of snow

of course, a fuel air bomb

A burst water main

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Found on another site

Pregnant tire

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Combat Theory posted:

Found on another site

Pregnant tire

It would be hilarious if the tire manufacturer’s logo was proudly displayed in grotesque distortion on that bubble...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Combat Theory posted:

Found on another site

Pregnant tire

It might be pregnant; it's definitely hosed.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

They need to do way to instain mechanic, who kill their tire

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Combat Theory posted:

Found on another site

Pregnant tire

TBH, this is one of those where you don't gently caress around with the situation.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's just a car tire. It's not a supercritical demon core bulging Caterpillar 797 tire

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Safety Dance posted:

It's just a car tire. It's not a supercritical demon core bulging Caterpillar 797 tire

you keep your screwdriver far the gently caress away from that thing, thank you very much

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

TBH, this is one of those where you don't gently caress around with the situation.

The safest thing to do is to get back inside the car, where you are shielded, and then do handbrake turns in the parking lot until it is safely disarmed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It is very dangerous and ve must deal with it!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Platystemon posted:

It is very dangerous and ve must deal with it!
[HYDRAULIC PRESSING INTENSIFIES]

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

bolind posted:

It would be hilarious if the tire manufacturer’s logo was proudly displayed in grotesque distortion on that bubble...

*beeping*
“The lever you have pulled-- "brakes"-- is not in service. Please make a note of it.”

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

I had one of those, on the home from a concert, in a van back in my early 20s. I thought, ok, better let the pressure off and reached down to unscrew the valve cap and kerblooie. Hurt like hell.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

tactlessbastard posted:

I had one of those, on the home from a concert, in a van back in my early 20s. I thought, ok, better let the pressure off and reached down to unscrew the valve cap and kerblooie. Hurt like hell.

Exactly.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Huh

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I always thought it was strange that auto manufacturers affix calipers to cars with bolts in shear loading.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Yet that never seems to be the failure point. Brakes are the Nintendo of car parts.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ApathyGifted posted:

That kind of degradation in 7 months is something that deserves a medical exam. Tell him to go to the doctor.

So we did. Turns out he's got Parkinson's.

We're currently trying to talk him into going on short-term disability (80% salary), and then go on long-term disability (50%) when that runs out, and then cash in all his PTO and retire. Beats getting laid off because you can no longer actually do the job of doing designs for stuff that has flight-safety implications.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Poor guy. :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah that loving blows :(

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Phanatic posted:

So we did. Turns out he's got Parkinson's.

We're currently trying to talk him into going on short-term disability (80% salary), and then go on long-term disability (50%) when that runs out, and then cash in all his PTO and retire. Beats getting laid off because you can no longer actually do the job of doing designs for stuff that has flight-safety implications.

Poor bastard.... :(
I feel like thats going to happen to me one day.

Horrible Neurological failures...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Nocheez posted:

Yet that never seems to be the failure point. Brakes are the Nintendo of car parts.

The hardware just works?
I think what happened is that my brake was dragging for a hundred or so miles (I know, I know), and the heat and vibration backed the bolts off enough for them to shear the bracket off the hub. At least I hope that's what happened, because I don't know what else could have sheared 4 14mm bolts clean off

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

wesleywillis posted:

Horrible Neurological failures...

Having witnessed my great-uncle (grandmother's sister's husband) spend the better part of 10 years with increasingly severe Parkinson's symptoms, I think I'd rather blow my brains out while I'm still able to than let it run its course.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Geoj posted:

Having witnessed my great-uncle (grandmother's sister's husband) spend the better part of 10 years with increasingly severe Parkinson's symptoms, I think I'd rather blow my brains out while I'm still able to than let it run its course.

That's pretty much what Robin Williams did (Well, he had Lewy Body dementia, but if anything that's even worse).

Deal I had with my dad was that if his brain started going, I was supposed to wait until the next time we went hunting when it was really cold out, and then just sneak back to the truck and drive away without telling him.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Fuuuuckk

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Phanatic posted:

That's pretty much what Robin Williams did (Well, he had Lewy Body dementia, but if anything that's even worse).

Deal I had with my dad was that if his brain started going, I was supposed to wait until the next time we went hunting when it was really cold out, and then just sneak back to the truck and drive away without telling him.

:stare:
After working with geriatrics for years, I don't know if can disagree with "disappearing" on a hunting trip, but that's a hell of a thing to put on your kid's shoulders

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Who the gently caress tells their kid that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Oh, it was tongue in cheek. Doctor sense of humor.

Ended up being pancreatic cancer that got him. So at least way better than Parkinson's.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Geoj posted:

Dementia runs down both sides of the family and grandma got taken by ALS. I'm probably looking at a nine millimeter retirement plan.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
My wife's family has a history of ALS so we've already had the "self inflicted gunshot while the other is at work" chat. My family is Alzheimer's so I won't remember to do it :(

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Phanatic posted:

Oh, it was tongue in cheek. Doctor sense of humor.

Ended up being pancreatic cancer that got him. So at least way better than Parkinson's.

Sorry about your pops.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The Door Frame posted:

The hardware just works?
I think what happened is that my brake was dragging for a hundred or so miles (I know, I know), and the heat and vibration backed the bolts off enough for them to shear the bracket off the hub. At least I hope that's what happened, because I don't know what else could have sheared 4 14mm bolts clean off

When tight the bolts aren't in shear, they're clamping the caliper to it's bracket. When loose they're in shear and get erm...sheared.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Phanatic posted:

Yeah I was also :stare: at this one.

That being said, I'd probably be more inclined to tell everyone the deal, go out myself and not come back, assuming I was capable of making my destination.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Midjack posted:

Dementia runs down both sides of the family and grandma got taken by ALS. I'm probably looking at a nine millimeter retirement plan.

Dad has the ALS, he just said they game him enough opiates to kill ten of him. He gets to decide. He was a RN

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Co-worker just lost his dad, had Alzheimer's really, really bad last few years of his life. Terrible way to go and I think it was a relief to his entire family although I think he was the only family member that spent any time with him. It would suck seeing your strong, powerful dad reduced to a weak, feeble man that has no loving clue who you are or what he is doing there. That's pretty much my nightmare scenario, with only a locked in scenario probably being worse.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
My earnest hope is that if I end up disabled like that with Alzheimers or locked in syndrome or anything like that, that someone has the decency to come along and load me up with some huge dose of fentanyl and send me off in a beautiful dream.

Or smother me with a pillow or something. Please.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Midjack posted:

Paternal grandfather died at 65, had Alzheimer's bad enough that he couldn't eat or communicate anymore. Maternal grandmother had severe dementia when she kicked the bucket a day or two before her 93rd birthday. So yeah, my retirement plan is probably gonna be similar. I already have health issues that don't seem to run in either side of the family (diabetes), though part of that can probably be chalked up to all the :catdrugs: in my 20s.

Upside: dad's in his 70s and still doing well, mentally and physically, though he just got diagnosed with high blood pressure (high enough that his doctor sent him to the ER during his yearly physical... he got put on the same med I'm on, but a lower dose). He still works more than full time during tax season (from about now until the end of April, he might take a few days off, total). Fucker's been smoking since he was 14 or 15, can literally run circles around me, eats beef daily, was a really heavy drinker until he was in his mid or late 40s, and aside from his blood pressure, is overall in better health than I am. :argh: (my BP is much better controlled, but I'm also on two meds.. ACE inhibitor and a beta blocker. he's just on the ACE)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I, for one, hope that whatever kills me is sudden and that I'm dead before I hit the floor. A family history of heart disease and my love of food/booze will probably see to that