Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Loomer posted:

Yes, because that's how much he cares~

Nevermind that an infinitely more practical option is to, I don't know, get your partner a medicalert bracelet with a QR code or even just some handy little laminated cards listing it for your wallets, his-and-hers style.

Notice also that it's on his arm, which creates reliance.

EDIT:
QR code, not bracelet.
So where did The Human Eyeliner here get the money to make people financially dependent on him? He come from money? Selling crank to schoolchildren?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
No idea.

Also, what a loving tosser.
https://twitter.com/ZakSmithSabbath/status/1095956956353769472

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Arthil posted:

Holy poo poo, how does he think vomiting a bunch of text onto a blog and claiming it was written by someone who had their message deleted can fly in this day and age? If there was even a crumb of truth to it there would be a screencap, but there isn't. I cannot wait until Michelle/Connie comes out and just buries him for that one.

So, Zak is a toilet person and his explanation is unacceptable but I did actually see the comment he quoted on Mandy’s Facebook post early on the piece. However, I certainly wouldn’t swear the text is exactly the same.

Edit: to be clear, I don’t think the post being real (assuming the text is the same, and it was made by the person whose name it was under) actually helps his defence in any way.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 14, 2019

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I like (by which I mean "I despise") how he casually mentions he's lawyered up at the start of it. Nice little implied threat there.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Warthur posted:

I like (by which I mean "I despise") how he casually mentions he's lawyered up at the start of it. Nice little implied threat there.

Hi, I've been accused of a bunch of stuff, what should I do?

Okay first of all you don't say anything about it, let me see the accusations, then we'll sit down and talk about it.

Okay writing a blog post dismissing it all in my normal way and then arguing with people on the internet about it as I always do.

I ahh, nope, not taking the case, bye.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Oh god, being Zak's lawyer would be miserable. Clients who have already decided what they are going to do and are convinced they are right are the worst.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nessus posted:

So where did The Human Eyeliner here get the money to make people financially dependent on him? He come from money? Selling crank to schoolchildren?

No.

An abuser doesn't need money to create financial dependence. They take control of the victim's finances or otherwise gently caress up their ability to access money. https://www.whiteribbon.org.au/understand-domestic-violence/types-of-abuse/financial-abuse/

E: Financial dependence is usually in an indicator that someone has been abused for a long time. It usually starts after the victim tries to extract themselves from the situation.

E2: "Abuser convinces victim* to have their wage** paid to abuser's bank account" is common enough that you couldn't possibly identify a particular case just from that info.

*Or their boss/company, or the government

**Or their pension, or their disability payment

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 14, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ha ha what a clown. Watch him try to start RPGGate once this high wears off.

Like at this point he’s clearly doing it with deliberate purpose.

E. Jesus that financial thing. Probably was making his victims pay for the “privilege” of being abused huh.

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

And amidst all the commotion, Nicole Lindroos has managed to put together that timeline.

Wait. Not a timeline.

https://twitter.com/Nikchick/status/1095156062267760640

"real harassment."

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

E2: "Abuser convinces victim* to have their wage** paid to abuser's bank account" is common enough that you couldn't possibly identify a particular case just from that info.

*Or their boss/company, or the government

**Or their pension, or their disability payment
It is in fact the most depressingly common aspect of Case Files episodes about abuse or kidnapping.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MachineIV posted:

And amidst all the commotion, Nicole Lindroos has managed to put together that timeline.

Wait. Not a timeline.

https://twitter.com/Nikchick/status/1095156062267760640

"real harassment."

Man Nicole Lindroos really can't stand the idea of someone being a shittier person than her, huh?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Warthur posted:

I specially hate the "our friends", I feel like it says a lot. They're not her friends if they're still yours, rear end in a top hat.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

No.

An abuser doesn't need money to create financial dependence. They take control of the victim's finances or otherwise gently caress up their ability to access money. https://www.whiteribbon.org.au/understand-domestic-violence/types-of-abuse/financial-abuse/

E: Financial dependence is usually in an indicator that someone has been abused for a long time. It usually starts after the victim tries to extract themselves from the situation.

In Zak's rebuttal he claims that Mandy's signature is on the payment for Vivka's breast implants, so clearly he didn't pay for them and couldn't have lorded it over Vivka.

But I figure that, if true, it just means that Zak paid for the breast implants with money that wasn't his.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bedlamdan is annoying but good god I'd love for a Zak Smith containment thread since the last week and ten pages have been nothing but that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Bedlamdan is annoying but good god I'd love for a Zak Smith containment thread since the last week and ten pages have been nothing but that.

This is literally the thread for talking about it, because this is the thread for talking about the RPG industry.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I appreciate that hearing about Zak is rather tedious, but not like much else is going on in the industry this week.

WHAT A PROLAPSED ANUS OF A PERSON

I HATE HIM

I hate everything he did to this industry and the voices he drove out.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

If you have some other topic to bring up Plutonis then go for it, the thread's still here. If not, shut up and don't try to minimize the discussion of abuse and abusers in the hobby.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I specially hate the "our friends", I feel like it says a lot. They're not her friends if they're still yours, rear end in a top hat.
Yeah, all that "our" language seems to suggest a commonality of experience and community which they specifically no longer have.

Another thing I hate is the way he's doing this "I believe women" thing and then cherrypicking Michelle and Stokely to believe.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LatwPIAT posted:

In Zak's rebuttal he claims that Mandy's signature is on the payment for Vivka's breast implants, so clearly he didn't pay for them and couldn't have lorded it over Vivka.

But I figure that, if true, it just means that Zak paid for the breast implants with money that wasn't his.

Ah, yes. Surely Mandy paid for them, it being common knowledge how she was the one who supported Zak financially and held that over his head and everything.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Warthur posted:

Another thing I hate is the way he's doing this "I believe women" thing and then cherrypicking Michelle and Stokely to believe.

"I believe women, but anyone who accuses me is obviously mentally ill and confused" is pretty much the official motto of performatively woke dudes.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I'd feel bad for Charlotte Stokely getting her mentions flooded if she hadn't stepped up to bat before Zak even put out his statement.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
I like reading about this because there’s at least some resemblance of long overdue comeuppance, which is not a common sight.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

If you wanna realize how insane that response is, just imagine you're the one accused. Like you'd think the whole thing would be a horrified ''No, I didn't do this, I don't know why she would say any of this,'' but instead all you get is a kind of performance designed to muddy the waters.

Of course, it's too late for that.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Ah, yes. Surely Mandy paid for them, it being common knowledge how she was the one who supported Zak financially and held that over his head and everything.

I mean, yes, that doesn't mesh much but it's not unheard of in this kind of financial abuse for someone to both give and take - possibly both, to make sure the victim is always reliant on the gift. Mostly speculation, though.

The important point is that even if Zak can produce an actual copy of a a receipt that says "1x Breast implants, -Mandy Morbid", that doesn't invalidate anything Vivka or Mandy said.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ravenkult posted:

If you wanna realize how insane that response is, just imagine you're the one accused. Like you'd think the whole thing would be a horrified ''No, I didn't do this, I don't know why she would say any of this,'' but instead all you get is a kind of performance designed to muddy the waters.

Of course, it's too late for that.

Zak has never given a straight answer about anything, possibly in his life. I am honestly surprised his post didn't start with "wouldn't you agree."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Foglet posted:

I like reading about this because there’s at least some resemblance of long overdue comeuppance, which is not a common sight.

The other thing about this is that this isn't just "oh Zak S and SA tradgames/Ettin/RPGnet are feuding" or something people are dismissively brushing off anymore, this is well and truly industry news when DTRPG is making statements saying they aren't going to carry his stuff anymore, numerous prominently visible high-profile people within the hobby are actively distancing themselves from him and denouncing him, and the Demon City kickstarter guy is having to frantically do damage control.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
https://postmortemstudios.wordpress.com/2019/02/12/rpg-company-statement-on-zak-smith/ I know one company that ain't getting my business anymore. To me, the applicable burden of proof is well satisfied and these pricks wanting beyond reasonable doubt rather than on the balance of possibilities/more likely than not can go suck an egg.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Foglet posted:

Not discussing things such as these just makes them easier to be swept under the rug, so I'm with you on this.

Since I decided to stop lurking for this, I guess: I think DriveThruRpg's response was the classiest and the most significant, at least when it comes to the industry itself. Not being able to distribute your book on the biggest digital platform is going to make a lot of people that would otherwise not give a poo poo to rethink any possible relationship with Zak.

Now if we could only reach Kickstarter and get a similar result...

I'm glad all of this poo poo is coming to light and hopefully the poo poo storm continues and makes the hobby better by running all of these people out.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Loomer posted:

https://postmortemstudios.wordpress.com/2019/02/12/rpg-company-statement-on-zak-smith/ I know one company that ain't getting my business anymore. To me, the applicable burden of proof is well satisfied and these pricks wanting beyond reasonable doubt rather than on the balance of possibilities/more likely than not can go suck an egg.

That's Desborough, he shouldn't be getting anyone's money anyway.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Loomer posted:

Desborough is a gamergater rape apologist who has been rightfully pushed to the corner of the industry and mostly just gets his money from gamergate and creepy people who want to see his bad bdsm gor game.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

He is currently doing a dance getting into daft semantic arguments about stuff. I don't know whether that's a bad thing because it distracts from the main point or a good thing because it a) exposes what a weird dude he is by getting him to pull out his silliest Debate Club techniques right in the middle of this discussion and b) distracts him from any more malevolent activities he's up to.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Foglet posted:

Yeah, this whole thing has been a mix of cathartic at there finally being genuine consequences for all the poo poo he's pulled and for the dominant response by far to be ripping him apart, horrifying and depressing given just what came out and that that's what it took for it to be taken seriously, and infuriating with the responses given by Mearls, Zak himself, and so on. Given how many years I've seen him abusing and harassing people online and getting away with it while destroying those around him, though, it's hard to not read it. And thankfully the majority response seems to be "gently caress Zak"; I don't think this is salvageable for him, even if he's going to always have some assholes in his corner and is going to try to do as much damage on his way down, and even that will be weakened when people in general are aware of what a fucker he is.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

PST posted:

Desborough is a gamergater rape apologist who has been rightfully pushed to the corner of the industry and mostly just gets his money from gamergate and creepy people who want to see his bad bdsm gor game.

Yikes, I was unaware of that. He's, uh, getting my money even less now.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

quote:

let's say this was an antisemitic smear article from Stormfront being passed around. If you pointed to it being accepted as true and wrote "Destroy" this would be understandable. Its morally the same: it was a something awful smear.

In Zak's mind, we're the moral equivalent of Stormfront, which explains a lot.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I love and respect this person, that's why I'm posting a picture of her medical conditions onto the Internet.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Warthur posted:

He is currently doing a dance getting into daft semantic arguments about stuff. I don't know whether that's a bad thing because it distracts from the main point or a good thing because it a) exposes what a weird dude he is by getting him to pull out his silliest Debate Club techniques right in the middle of this discussion and b) distracts him from any more malevolent activities he's up to.

It's good. Any person who wasn't already going to side with him is going to look at his insane attempts at utterly irrelevant semantics (I like when he said there's a difference between experience and perception and then blocked the guy who asked which one Mandy had to put up with) as the desperate scrabblings of a sociopath and move very quickly away from his side of the fence. Anyone who doesn't was probably going to land on his side regardless out of some general misogyny.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

The sad part is I don't know if you're talking about Zak or Jimmy D.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm glad to see Desborough sticking to his principles, i.e., "innocent until proven guilty, unless it's a woman, or even literally all women."

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I love and respect this person, that's why I'm posting a picture of her medical conditions onto the Internet.

He showed that poo poo off when they were still in a relationship. Completely on its own with no context, it's weird but whatever. The collection of photos in the middle of this blog, though, despite that they'd been "legitimately" posted before, is loving creeptown. It absolutely scans with Mandy's "I was your precious doll, not a woman" accusation.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

It absolutely scans with Mandy's "I was your precious doll, not a woman" accusation.

That line just kills me every time. I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

That line just kills me every time. I don't know why.

It's because that's the sort of thing someone like Zak would imply to kill the will of someone like [literally anyone]