Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Toast King posted:

I'm looking for some shorter single player games with an interesting setting and story, or just a good environment to explore in general. The story doesn't necessarily have to be the main focus like a walking sim, but even good world building through audio logs and text etc is good. I've got no interest in replayability/anything multiplayer and only have 1-2 hours a few days a week to get through them.

A few games I've played over the last couple of years that really scratched that itch for me:

- SOMA (perfect length and good amount of world interaction while still being story focused. Definitely my favourite in a while)

- Talos Principle (very puzzle focused, but I loved the narrative and getting access to new terminals and logs was a big motivation to play through the game)

- Hellblade (similar to SOMA, just a good overall experience where the gameplay-focused parts and overall length are short enough to not get tiring)

- Firewatch (good length and nice environment to play out the story in)

- The Witness (way on the puzzle end of the scale, but exploring the island and how well it's all interlocked together was a joy. Not big on pure puzzle games normally but things like this/Talos where it's built into the world really works for me)

- Prey 2017 (great setting and love a good immersive sim, haven't found much else to interest me though. Bounced of Dishonoured for whatever reason)

- Nier Automata (most of the way through this currently, it's the exception to the short length I'm normally looking for. The ideas and story and the way it's broken up is interesting enough to keep me going compared to a normal giant JRPG or whatever big open world game)

Things I'm not too interested in:

- played most Telltale/Life is Strange style games already and have pretty much had my fill at this point. Same for Night In The Woods, played and finished it but never felt as connected to it as I wanted to.

- What Remains Of Edith Finch, wasn't bad but just didn't hold my interest either.

- Any of the new Tmnb Raider of similar games, just nothing appealing there for me.

I'm sure there's some more good things out there. I'm just not sure where to start at this point. I've just about worked my way through all the games I've noted down over a couple of years.

Opus Magnum is a puzzle game with a good story. Different kind of puzzles and story telling than Talos, but satisfying in its own way.

Since you like Hellblade, maybe check out Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain. I wouldn't normally recommend them but you like Hellblade so...

The modern Shadowrun games are of reasonable length and story quality ranges from decent to great. The second one was the best if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hellblade is nothing like a David Cage game.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Toast King posted:

I'm looking for some shorter single player games with an interesting setting and story, or just a good environment to explore in general. The story doesn't necessarily have to be the main focus like a walking sim, but even good world building through audio logs and text etc is good. I've got no interest in replayability/anything multiplayer and only have 1-2 hours a few days a week to get through them.

A few games I've played over the last couple of years that really scratched that itch for me:

- SOMA (perfect length and good amount of world interaction while still being story focused. Definitely my favourite in a while)

- Talos Principle (very puzzle focused, but I loved the narrative and getting access to new terminals and logs was a big motivation to play through the game)

- Hellblade (similar to SOMA, just a good overall experience where the gameplay-focused parts and overall length are short enough to not get tiring)

- Firewatch (good length and nice environment to play out the story in)

- The Witness (way on the puzzle end of the scale, but exploring the island and how well it's all interlocked together was a joy. Not big on pure puzzle games normally but things like this/Talos where it's built into the world really works for me)

- Prey 2017 (great setting and love a good immersive sim, haven't found much else to interest me though. Bounced of Dishonoured for whatever reason)

- Nier Automata (most of the way through this currently, it's the exception to the short length I'm normally looking for. The ideas and story and the way it's broken up is interesting enough to keep me going compared to a normal giant JRPG or whatever big open world game)

Things I'm not too interested in:

- played most Telltale/Life is Strange style games already and have pretty much had my fill at this point. Same for Night In The Woods, played and finished it but never felt as connected to it as I wanted to.

- What Remains Of Edith Finch, wasn't bad but just didn't hold my interest either.

- Any of the new Tmnb Raider of similar games, just nothing appealing there for me.

I'm sure there's some more good things out there. I'm just not sure where to start at this point. I've just about worked my way through all the games I've noted down over a couple of years.

Tacoma is exactly what you're looking for

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

nachos posted:

Tacoma is exactly what you're looking for

I found Tacoma to be not only intensely boring but plagued by amateurish graphics.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Thanks for the good recommendations, Tacoma is at the top of my list as soon as I finish off these last couple of routes in Nier. I'd completely forgot about it since just before it launched, but it's definitely the type of game and setting that appeals to me. Going to take a look at GRIS some time too.

Completely missed the Dead Space hype back in the day, is that the kind of one where the first game is a good standalone? Don't now much about the sequels either.

Never tried a Zachtronics game just based on short descriptions, I didn't realise they ever had any kind of story so that could be interesting.

I'm actually really interested in the different David Cage games even with the wildly mixed opinions, but no PS4 (forgot to mention) so that rules out any of them and some other good recs like Shadow of the Colossus.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 12, 2019

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Procgen platformers, at least not-completely-awful ones, are few and far between. The main ones that come to mind are:
  • Rogue Legacy, which wasn't the first but arguably started the craze.
  • Spelunky, which was the first (in the current indie wave of gamedev, anyway).
  • Dead Cells
  • Catacomb Kids, which is basically side-view NetHack (lots of little interactions, not much power ramp to speak of)
  • Caveblazers
  • A Robot Named Fight, literally the only one in this list that's oriented towards shooting rather than melee

Odds are none of these really hit the notes you're hoping for, but this is about what's available. :shrug:

Risk of Rain has mostly shooty classes and is probably my favorite of the bunch. It can be a little hard to get into at first since it kind of expects you to speedrun it from the word go and the starter class really isn't for everyone.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Risk of Rain has mostly shooty classes and is probably my favorite of the bunch. It can be a little hard to get into at first since it kind of expects you to speedrun it from the word go and the starter class really isn't for everyone.

:doh: I knew I'd forget something. I never got much into Risk of Rain but a lot of people think highly of it, so yeah, worth taking a look.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Risk of Rain's big problem is that it has a pretty much vertical learning curve til suddenly you blunder into the right habits and unlocks and it all comes together.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Yeah, the gameplay itself is very fun. I had a great time doing coop with a friend, but doing the same three levels over and over because I’m bad at video games gets demoralizing after a while

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Toast King posted:

Completely missed the Dead Space hype back in the day, is that the kind of one where the first game is a good standalone? Don't now much about the sequels either.

The first game stands on its own, yeah. The second follows up on it and is also pretty well regarded. The third is where things got kind of weird and/or outright bad because of executive meddling, but I don't know much about the specifics there.

If you're planning on playing the first game on PC make sure you read up on the technical fixes w/r/t v-sync and mouse control.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

John Murdoch posted:

The first game stands on its own, yeah. The second follows up on it and is also pretty well regarded. The third is where things got kind of weird and/or outright bad because of executive meddling, but I don't know much about the specifics there.

If you're planning on playing the first game on PC make sure you read up on the technical fixes w/r/t v-sync and mouse control.

Dead Space basically follows the same trajectory as the first two alien movies. DS1 was slow, quiet, and made you feel hunted, DS2 was a lot more action oriented but still in the same tone, and then the sequel came out and it's filled with space marines

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Toast King posted:

Thanks for the good recommendations, Tacoma is at the top of my list as soon as I finish off these last couple of routes in Nier. I'd completely forgot about it since just before it launched, but it's definitely the type of game and setting that appeals to me. Going to take a look at GRIS some time too.

Never tried a Zachtronics game just based on short descriptions, I didn't realise they ever had any kind of story so that could be interesting.

I'm actually really interested in the different David Cage games even with the wildly mixed opinions, but no PS4 (forgot to mention) so that rules out any of them and some other good recs like Shadow of the Colossus.

Please play What Remains of Edith Finch if you haven’t already.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Toast King posted:

Portal and Portal 2 seem like they would fit your criteria as well, if you haven't played them yet.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Looking for a game for my wife to watch me play on the switch or ps4. She Likes exploration and puzzles. Previous hits in descending order include; Breath of the Wild, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Super Mario Odyssey, Firewatch, Assassins Creed: Odyssey. Fallout 4.

EDIT: Oh and motherfucking Stardew Valley

Zosologist fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 15, 2019

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Zosologist posted:

Looking for a game for my wife to watch me play on the switch or ps4. She Likes exploration and puzzles. Previous hits in descending order include; Breath of the Wild, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Super Mario Odyssey, Firewatch, Assassins Creed: Odyssey. Fallout 4.

Red Dead Redemption 2? Lots of exploring there. If you liked Odyssey, AC: Origins is very similar. Witcher 3 on PS4?

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2? Lots of exploring there. If you liked Odyssey, AC: Origins is very similar. Witcher 3 on PS4?

She didn't like red dead, says it was too slow. I'm burned out on asscreed for now, and we've covered witcher 3 but I forgot to mention it.

I'm thinking I might go wild card with Subnautica, and see how that works out.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Subnautica is a good game. I think. I can't progress very far in it because it's too gut wrenchingly terrifying and I legit can't convince myself to play it.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Subnautica is a good game. I think. I can't progress very far in it because it's too gut wrenchingly terrifying and I legit can't convince myself to play it.

Dang I didn't suspect it was like that, guess I'll pass on subnautica.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zosologist posted:

Dang I didn't suspect it was like that, guess I'll pass on subnautica.

It's very much a question of what scares you; it is not an intentional horror game, but some people do not handle the deep ocean very well.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I didn't find it that scary, though some locations made me pretty nervous.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Most of my fear came from not being able to save at will. I'm a compulsive quicksaver and not being able to do so makes me jittery.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AG3 posted:

Most of my fear came from not being able to save at will. I'm a compulsive quicksaver and not being able to do so makes me jittery.

I don't know if it was always the case but you can totally save anywhere, and every time you board the Cyclops or one of your sea bases it'll "secure" your inventory so that if you do die, you won't lose any of the stuff you were carrying at the time.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Zosologist posted:

Have you played The Witness? It has no immediate action component as your references, but it's exploration and puzzles.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Really Pants posted:

I don't know if it was always the case but you can totally save anywhere, and every time you board the Cyclops or one of your sea bases it'll "secure" your inventory so that if you do die, you won't lose any of the stuff you were carrying at the time.

Having the Cyclops later in the game made it a lot better, true. I can't say I ever noticed there being a way to manually save that didn't entail exiting the game though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's...just the Save option in the menu, like every other game.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zosologist posted:

you mentioned stardew valley, have you given graveyard keeper a look?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Really Pants posted:

It has to be treated with care though, since the game doesn't check if you can survive in your current state and just saves. It's also unnecessary to make it a menu point instead of a hotkey. But thats true for all games that do so. Like if you have a manual save in your game: make it quicksave, have an option and explanation for the amount of save spots (aka not The Witcher, where each quicksave creates a ~100mb new save file, and also not like most other games with ONE quicksave slot that gets just overridden and does more damage that way).

Very few games do it right. IIRC DDoS2 was one of them.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Really Pants posted:

I... never noticed there was one. Or if I did I forgot it soon after. Oops.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
When you die you just respawn back at base anyways, and whatever loot you might lose (seems to just be a few items) you can just pick back up at the scene of death. You can't really lose anything permanently either, sine all objects in the world are permanent unless you do something stupid like manually deleting your save's cache files.

Death in Subnautica doesn't matter, and if you don't care about the 2 copper and 1 salt you've picked up since the last time you entered your base, it's even just a handy way to quick-warp back to base

The save option is really just there to use exactly once per play session, about 5 seconds before you click on "exit game"
This is why there's no quicksave

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Zosologist posted:

She Likes exploration and puzzles.
RiME! I think it's for both of those consoles.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just out of curiosity...is there anything like Vermintide, a co-op game where you're fighting off hordes of enemies? Preferably melee-based?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Phlegmish posted:

Just out of curiosity...is there anything like Vermintide, a co-op game where you're fighting off hordes of enemies? Preferably melee-based?

EDF! EDF! (EDF 4.1 has melee-based characters and it's entirely about fighting 500000 enemies at once.)

Joke answer: Vermintide 2 :v:

wait a second, I think Left for Dead also counts?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Phlegmish posted:

Not really, at least not with so much work put into FPS melee like in Vermintide. Technically you could play Warframe melee only, but it's not the same. Also true for EDF. As I said once before, Vermintide is pretty much the only existing game that successfully converted the L4D mechanic into something (mostly) fun with melee.

HenryEx posted:

When you die you just respawn back at base anyways, and whatever loot you might lose (seems to just be a few items) you can just pick back up at the scene of death. You can't really lose anything permanently either, sine all objects in the world are permanent unless you do something stupid like manually deleting your save's cache files.

Death in Subnautica doesn't matter, and if you don't care about the 2 copper and 1 salt you've picked up since the last time you entered your base, it's even just a handy way to quick-warp back to base

The save option is really just there to use exactly once per play session, about 5 seconds before you click on "exit game"
This is why there's no quicksave

I used it to circumvent bugs that may appear though. I think I did once revert to an older save file because something happend and screwed my game. But yeah, it's not super important.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ah, that's a shame. I really love the melee aspect of Vermintide, I also spent a ludicrous amount of hours playing Chivalry.

Might check out EDF anyway, I'm only vaguely familiar with it as an old console series, but I guess they've had recent PC offerings?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EDF4.1: The Shadow of New Despair has been out on PC for a while and it's only $20. EDF5 is probably coming...sometime, but I have no idea when.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Really Pants posted:

EDF4.1: The Shadow of New Despair has been out on PC for a while and it's only $20. EDF5 is probably coming...sometime, but I have no idea when.

It's in the current humble monthly for 12$!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

haldolium posted:

It has to be treated with care though, since the game doesn't check if you can survive in your current state and just saves. It's also unnecessary to make it a menu point instead of a hotkey. But thats true for all games that do so. Like if you have a manual save in your game: make it quicksave, have an option and explanation for the amount of save spots (aka not The Witcher, where each quicksave creates a ~100mb new save file, and also not like most other games with ONE quicksave slot that gets just overridden and does more damage that way).

Very few games do it right. IIRC DDoS2 was one of them.
I got a laugh out of treating a 100mb save file as a big deal compared to Subnautica :allears:

Though I'm so proud of them for getting a "One safe shallows base" launch save to 150mb territory, down from 2+gig save and 2 gig Tempfile while playing said save.

With a history like that, I can understand why Subnautica never went for additional quicksaves. My prior postage stamp sized SSD got a real scare when the 2 gig tempsave files didn't erase themselves.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 16, 2019

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Is EDF 4.1 any good single player? I have it, and all those DLCs that came in the bundle. I played a few missions. Unless the game gets dramatically different after that, I can't take any more.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

credburn posted:

Is EDF 4.1 any good single player? I have it, and all those DLCs that came in the bundle. I played a few missions. Unless the game gets dramatically different after that, I can't take any more.

I'd say play at least until the mission where all the red ants swarm the beach. Its like mission 11 or so. But generally no, if you aren't feeling it by now theres a good chance you wont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

At least look up some videos or something for the missions Brute Force, Crash, Divine, and maybe Crazy Skies.