Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Elissimpark posted:

I think the effectiveness of not-shampooing really depends where you live. I managed to last a couple of months in a rural Australian city, but the first time I went to an actual metropolitan centre, my hair went crazy greasy.

So to sum up:

Somewhere on the Mongolian steppes, yes.
A major industrial city, no.

where you live also affects how hard/soft your water is and how chlorinated it is. So a blanket "you can go without showering/using soap this many days" statement isn't exactly appropriate.

If you're going to go soapless, at least use baking soda or whatever it is that people use instead.

God Hole has a new favorite as of 09:22 on Feb 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I also have blond and extremely thin hair, so the end of shift my hair is always much more flat. For the longest time I was trying to find information on less shampooing but all of the website that talk about it are run by gross hippies.

A couple of years ago I did find one that wasn't and while I can't remember what website it is the answer is basically you just got to scrub a lot longer and a lot harder than you think. Just take your fingertips and palms and really scrub your hair for what feels like forever under the shower until you very definitely feel the texture change. It also takes longer/more work to dry, but I'm down to shampooing once a week, and my hair is very fluffy and less oily overall.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Going with minimal shampoo is v different from going with no soap, also.

If anyone reading this has like, shoulder-length or longer hair and shampoos every loving day well, I salute your dedication and the amount of time you spend with wet hair.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was thinking about applying for my Italian citizenship through one of my paternal great grandfathers so I can get an Italian passport. Would eliminate a bunch of headaches if I ever decided I hated living in the US enough to move to the EU.

As an Italian-American there's a lot of things I like about Italy but it's the last place I'd ever go to escape fascism

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CYBEReris posted:

As an Italian-American there's a lot of things I like about Italy but it's the last place I'd ever go to escape fascism

Can't you work freely in any of the EU countries if you're a resident of one of them? And I can live with fascism. We've basically been living in it since 2001 despite the new outpouring of rhetoric that started in 2008.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > Post Your Personally Held Unpopular Opinion: I can live with fascism.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If you're in the US then you've basically been in it since the 50's. '01 launched the new police state and the "cops are heroes" attitude. Trump is barely a blip on the "fascist" scale of US history.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Unpopular opinion: an authority telling you what to do does not a fascism make.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Aramek posted:

Unpopular opinion: an authority telling you what to do does not a fascism make.

No. As mentioned above it requires participation from citizens. Which we have in spades.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Going with minimal shampoo is v different from going with no soap, also.

If anyone reading this has like, shoulder-length or longer hair and shampoos every loving day well, I salute your dedication and the amount of time you spend with wet hair.

I have shoulder-length hair and I run almost every day, my hair gets gross with sweat so I more or less wash it daily. (Daily with water and conditioner, once a week with shampoo.)

Drying takes less than ten minutes: I wrap my hair in a towel for two or three minutes, which removes a lot of the water, and then I go at it with a hairdryer. Done.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Running every day sounds like hell

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Mu Zeta posted:

It is. I'm always tired, my legs always hurt, I eat all the foods because I have to make up for lost calories, in this season it's cold as gently caress, in Summer it's hot as gently caress, I have to shower daily, I have to wash my running clothes daily, I have to plan ahead to have enough time to go running, and sometimes I trip on something and eat poo poo on the pavement and it hurts like hell.

God help me, I love it.

#runnerslife

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Showers feel nice.

I would live in the shower if I could.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

docbeard posted:

Showers feel nice.

:same:

I would literally spend hours in the shower some days if my hot water didn't run out.

Baths, on the other hand, are loving awful. You're sitting on a hard, uncomfortable surface in a pool of rapidly-cooling water that bits of you are sticking out of. There's no room to move or relax and from the moment you get in it's all downhill since the water's only going to get colder and the cramped and uncomfortable conditions are only going to get to you more and more.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mikl posted:

It is. I'm always tired, my legs always hurt, I eat all the foods because I have to make up for lost calories, in this season it's cold as gently caress, in Summer it's hot as gently caress, I have to shower daily, I have to wash my running clothes daily, I have to plan ahead to have enough time to go running, and sometimes I trip on something and eat poo poo on the pavement and it hurts like hell.

God help me, I love it.

#runnerslife

Try Soul Cycle

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

docbeard posted:

Showers feel nice.

Alternatively, I hate showers, they make me uncomfortable and I've never felt this great refreshment you were always told about, I wish we lived in one of those futures where we've replaced them with some sterile sci-fi option already.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Just watched Lawrence of Arabia for the first time. It was a gorgeous vacation slideshow, but it was boring and missed the point of "motion pictures." I would happily spend 30 minutes appreciating the photo gallery that the movie actually wants to be.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Mayo: eew gross, that's garbage food for midwesterners, no thank you

~aioli~: oh my, what a delightful foreign treat that turns any dull sandwich into a flavor carnivale!

Same for the dumbasses that will go ape about how bad 'american chocolate' is and then pretend that 'foreign' and thus exotic and fun licorices that stink and might as well taste of rotten cat piss are just so pleasant and new!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Yardbomb posted:

Same for the dumbasses that will go ape about how bad 'american chocolate' is and then pretend that 'foreign' and thus exotic and fun licorices that stink and might as well taste of rotten cat piss are just so pleasant and new!

The part that bugs me is that a lot of them seem to be americans themselves and make the same mistake of assuming all american chocolate=hersheys and talk about the butyric acid and how we love vomit and that all american bread = wonderbread. You live here, unless you don't shop for yourself (we all know this is the reason) or only shop at gas stations you should know there is more quality out there. I mean, it's hard to beat the swiss/belgians at it but they aren't chocolate wizards with a magic formula that can't be reproduced, there are companies in america that make similar quality stuff.

also dark chocolate isn't superior, it's just different. The people who go on and on about how milk and white chocolate (cue the "but that's not even chocolate!" crew) are "cloying" just come off as sounding like people with no concept of moderation and just shovel the entire bar into their mouth.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

also dark chocolate isn't superior, it's just different. The people who go on and on about how milk and white chocolate (cue the "but that's not even chocolate!" crew) are "cloying" just come off as sounding like people with no concept of moderation and just shovel the entire bar into their mouth.

Nah, even a small piece of white chocolate is greasy and overly sweet. It's a garbage lolly for picky children.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dogs can eat white chocolate right? I think that's the only reason it was invented.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Found the poo poo taste haver.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

White chocolate is indeed gross

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
White chocolate is like sweetened grease, gross

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mu Zeta posted:

Tired all the time, hungry all the time, unable to stop running for more than a day without feeling horrible about myself. But in ridiculously good shape, get to eat everything in sight, and don't get winded walking up a flight of stairs like 95% of all Americans. It has its ups and downs. Once you begin to tolerate the sight of your toenails turning black and falling off every once in awhile, you're good.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like white mochas from starbucks but sadly they are like million calories a drink so I have them rarely

Dunno if they include actual white chocolate, which doesn’t repulse me but I dunno if I’d ever choose it over another sweet.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Feb 14, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
White chocolate is extremely bomb, but so is super dark chocolate, and all in between.
In summary, chocolate is a land of delicious contrasts.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The best chocolate treat is peppermint bark

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

MizPiz posted:

The best chocolate treat is peppermint bark
Needs to engulf a pretzel.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
toenails are supposed to turn black and fall off every now and then. It's called molting

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

toenails are supposed to turn black and fall off every now and then. It's called molting

ok at this point i cant tell if you're a guy goodbody or pcos bill rereg. avsholam maybe?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

spit on my clit posted:

ok at this point i cant tell if you're a guy goodbody or pcos bill rereg. avsholam maybe?

You from the future

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Sorry if this is too political, but I think a lot of America's problems are because we started off with 13 colonies. Unlucky.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That or the fact that we built it on an ancient Indian burial ground

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

Nah, even a small piece of white chocolate is greasy and overly sweet. It's a garbage lolly for picky children.

I will never be able to reconcile an australian/brit being condescending while calling something a "lolly". Might as well call it icky too while you're at it.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Tubgoat posted:

Needs to engulf a pretzel.

Salt and mint don't go together

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I will never be able to reconcile an australian/brit being condescending while calling something a "lolly". Might as well call it icky too while you're at it.

Don’t say that or a criminal gang of ozzie bikies will come for you

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Tiggum posted:

If I'm comfortable eating something you aren't, how exactly does that make me "picky"? Shouldn't that logically refer to you, the random-type-of-chocolate hater? :(

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

aardwolf posted:

If I'm comfortable eating something you aren't, how exactly does that make me "picky"? Shouldn't that logically refer to you, the random-type-of-chocolate hater? :(

"Picky" means "is wrong about food" in whatever direction you, the wrong person, are disagreeing with me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

docbeard posted:

"Picky" means "is wrong about food" in whatever direction you, the wrong person, are disagreeing with me in.

To be fair, I have to give Tiggum credit for being an Australian who objects to something white.