Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I ended up picking up a couple of the pack o’ games, Spy and Bus. I haven’t gotten into Spy yet, but Bus seems amusing enough for such a tiny package. The rules were a bit tough to parse, though- I haven’t tried teaching the game yet, but it seems like it could be explained a lot more concisely than on the sheet.

I’ve not played 13 Days (or even Twilight Struggle,) but I’ve had loads of fun with 13 Minutes. It’s weird that starting nuclear war isn’t considered a loss for both players. I get the reasoning - both in the design and in the theming- but one person I taught just wasn’t having it.

Got a few games of Above and Below in recently, too. I generally don’t play with people who game too seriously, so I think some of the game’s flaws don’t bother us too much. How are Laukat’s other titles? I could see giving Near and Far and Islebound a shot at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Mayveena posted:

I will not explain rules while someone is on their phone or tablet. Period The End of Discussion.

Played a game of BSG with a friend that I very rarely see. He took out a pair of tablets, queued up some Hearthstone streams on both of them, and put them in two of the corners of the table facing inwards. So no one would get bored during the game.

That was a few years ago, and I haven't played games with him since.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Mayveena posted:

I will not explain rules while someone is on their phone or tablet. Period The End of Discussion.

loving LOL if you don't just stop going to game night because doing that to this particular friend would hurt instead of help and now you don't have a good game night anymore..........

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ravendas posted:

Played a game of BSG with a friend that I very rarely see. He took out a pair of tablets, queued up some Hearthstone streams on both of them, and put them in two of the corners of the table facing inwards. So no one would get bored during the game.

That was a few years ago, and I haven't played games with him since.

Back during baseball season, I was playing Gloomhaven and I asked my group if they were cool with me putting a game on as some background noise and they veto'd it.

I don't actually blame them.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Chubbs posted:

Human Punishment is a seemingly cool team-based social deduction game that's having another kickstarter for an expansion.

You can tell they put a lot of effort into world building and the art is fantastic. Haven't played it so I don't know about the gameplay.

This has really sketchy BGG ratings so I'm guessing it's more overhyped Kickstarter trash

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I have an unopened copy of Glory to Rome. I know it used to be a grail game, but I've been working towards making my collection games I actually play only. In 2019 is there a compelling reason to open this and put in rotation? Otherwise Ill sell it for a pretty penny and use that on stuff I actually actively desire.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Some Numbers posted:

Back during baseball season, I was playing Gloomhaven and I asked my group if they were cool with me putting a game on as some background noise and they veto'd it.

I don't actually blame them.

Yeah, I will do that if we're playing skull, but if we're playing the gallerist, I don't think it's a good idea.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I will not play with someone who is constantly on their phone unless it’s to check rules clarifications or something important. I guess I just don’t get it, gaming is a social experience as much as anything else to me.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Megasabin posted:

I have an unopened copy of Glory to Rome. I know it used to be a grail game, but I've been working towards making my collection games I actually play only. In 2019 is there a compelling reason to open this and put in rotation? Otherwise Ill sell it for a pretty penny and use that on stuff I actually actively desire.

The game is still really good. Is it the black box version or the clamshell with the crappy art?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Some Numbers posted:

The game is still really good. Is it the black box version or the clamshell with the crappy art?

I thought I remembered someone saying GtR was unbalanced and its problems got fixed with Mottainai?

Played Wingspan last night. It wasn't set the world on fire good, but it wasn't awful and it's very pretty. The owner described it as "a game you could put in front of non-gamers and they'd play it happily without ever realising they'd played a real game".

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Jedit posted:

I thought I remembered someone saying GtR was unbalanced and its problems got fixed with Mottainai?

Played Wingspan last night. It wasn't set the world on fire good, but it wasn't awful and it's very pretty. The owner described it as "a game you could put in front of non-gamers and they'd play it happily without ever realising they'd played a real game".

I can’t speak to Mottainai, but I don’t think GtR is unbalanced. It takes a philosophy of “if everything is broken, nothing is” but makes it work really well. It is possible for someone to have a blowout game, but most plays reward skill over luck, in my opinion.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Megasabin posted:

I really like gtr but I’d just sell it honestly since it’s been unplayed for so long

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Got a few games of Above and Below in recently, too. I generally don’t play with people who game too seriously, so I think some of the game’s flaws don’t bother us too much. How are Laukat’s other titles? I could see giving Near and Far and Islebound a shot at some point.

Near and Far is fine if you don't mind Above and Below, it's just got a map in it instead of underworld cards.

Islebound's a pretty nice sea-roaming game which kicked some of its features up to the much heavier Empires of the Void II. Here's an extremely important rule which has gotten missed and ruined several games: conquering or allying with a town gives you its strength in money and you can immediately use it for free. Considering it's the only way to put money into the game economy it's kind of a big deal.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Laukat is a world class artist and a garbage tier game designer

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Rad Valtar posted:

I will not play with someone who is constantly on their phone unless it’s to check rules clarifications or something important. I guess I just don’t get it, gaming is a social experience as much as anything else to me.

Some people that are socially awkward use the phone to help disengage from the social experience for 30-60 seconds at a time. One guy I game with plays some mindless clicker game on his phone all night and it's kind of obvious that he needs the micro-down time to deal with being social for 3-4 hours. Luckily he can set the phone aside whenever it's his turn and it doesn't seem to distract entirely him as he knows exactly what's going on in the game on the table. I'm not saying you should excuse people that are annoyingly tuned out when they get on their phone, but some people need the respite it offers. That said, he is the only example of a person that can do it successfully that I have encountered.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Jedit posted:

I'm sure people could come to that conclusion, but I didn't really like Mottainai and I loved GtR.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah GtR isn’t broken but Mottainai is just a toned down version. Which I happen to prefer. Import/Export is the best of that design space though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah GtR isn’t broken but Mottainai is just a toned down version. Which I happen to prefer. Import/Export is the best of that design space though.

:agreed: I/E also scales a lot better with more people. I think overall, Innovation was the wildest of the bunch and the expansions just made it a lot of the bad kind of busywork. The good kind being of course arkwright and 18xx.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Slimy Hog posted:

loving LOL if you don't just stop going to game night because doing that to this particular friend would hurt instead of help and now you don't have a good game night anymore..........

I don't go to game nights with rude people. I'm very fortunate to live in the Los Angeles area, there are plenty of game nights around here where people understand that if someone is taking the time and effort to explain a game, the least they can do is turn off the phone. Just for the record, people on their phones during the game doesn't bother me UNLESS they insist on a recap every time it's their turn because they haven't been paying attention. That too is rude.

I feel that I respect other people and their time and patience, I'm asking the same for myself.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
It got $3M through Kickstarter. But this Idaho biz hasn’t delivered games it promised

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/business/article225610455.html?fbclid=IwAR2F1ZG4jvNDgAcc7RpXwgKZYj7Zti43OcX8p7kyngyAAxsInXJpzcAl17s

quote:

The problems seem to have started more than three years ago. The company had a track record at the time. Its Kickstarter campaign for “Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King” was a hit, raising $1.2 million from 6,589 backers in the spring of 2014. Customers reportedly got what they ordered.

A Kickstarter campaign for a game called “Super Dungeon Explore: Legends” raised $1.3 million over a three-week period in late 2015. That was 16 times the amount the company set for its fundraising goal — $80,000 of seed money to start producing the game.

The game never materialized. The December 2016 estimated shipping date came and went.

Meanwhile, the company in April 2016 had launched another Kickstarter, for a game called “Rail Riders Infinite.” It raised about $340,000 from 4,649 backers.

Ninja Division launched a new Kickstarter campaign for “Way of the Fighter” in November and December 2016, raising $92,000 from 1,385 backers.

The company’s campaign for a game called “Relic Knights: 2nd Edition” in February and March 2017 raised about $387,000 from 2,489 backers.

Its campaign for a set of miniature figures to go with another game raised about $458,000 from 2,294 backers in September and October 2017.

Backers told the Statesman and posted online that some of them have gotten some parts of some of the games. But the orders remain largely unfulfilled.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
This is why people need to do actual research on companies before just blindly handing them money for projects.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I feel like Kickstarter should make some effort to quash the scammers. Maybe prevent a person/company from launching a new campaign if a previous campaign has passed its declared shipping deadline without delivering. But they're perfectly happy to enable the fleecing of rubes as long as they get their cut.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Megasabin posted:

It's my friend's favorite game. We just played the other night. I like it much better than other Chudyk games, but like all of them, it's an abstract tableau builder with fairly complicated mechanics.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My group will sometimes whip out or phones in-between turns because that's just something we like to do. Some games have a lot of downtime or little interaction in-between turns and we're all paying attention to what's happening so there's no "oh, is it my turn??" But If I'm not involved in your 20 minute calculation of your train route in 18xx then yeah, I'm going to be looking at funny pictures on Twitter.

We don't do this with strangers because people have varying strong opinions on phone usage but we all understand among us as a group that looking at our phone isn't a statement of "I don't want to be here or spend time with you."

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mayveena posted:

if someone is taking the time and effort to explain a game, the least they can do is turn off the phone.

This is the thing a lot of people seem to miss. Teaching and explaining games takes effort, but some people seem to think they are doing you a favor by playing games with them. Fortunately, they are in the minority.

What's even worse is when you are resident rules explainer (which I am, and I bet most in this thread are) and get press-ganged. Someone brings a game that they don't know how to play, so you sit out from a different game to read the rulebook. Then, when you're ready they sit down to learn but also continue to goof around and not pay attention. That inconsiderateness plus friend of friend I don't really like plus stupid-looking IP game for property I don't even care about equals a "pissed off teacher quietly but intensely scolding 3rd graders" moment that I'm not super proud of. Though, after that, people started either learning games themselves or at least trying to tell me ahead of time so I can learn the rules.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Established house rule: if you don't know how to play a game then either don't bring it or we're all suffering together fresh out of the box. The latter never happens.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Magnetic North posted:

"pissed off teacher quietly but intensely scolding 3rd graders" moment that I'm not super proud of.

Frankly, that sounds awesome and something you *should* be proud of.

People are never too old to learn basic human decency lessons like 3rd graders, imo.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Mayveena posted:

I don't go to game nights with rude people. I'm very fortunate to live in the Los Angeles area, there are plenty of game nights around here where people understand that if someone is taking the time and effort to explain a game, the least they can do is turn off the phone. Just for the record, people on their phones during the game doesn't bother me UNLESS they insist on a recap every time it's their turn because they haven't been paying attention. That too is rude.

I feel that I respect other people and their time and patience, I'm asking the same for myself.

These people are friends first and board game group second. I still play games with my wife 2-3x/week, and I really enjoy that, so it's not like I don't get to play games anymore.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Magnetic North posted:

Someone brings a game that they don't know how to play, so you sit out from a different game to read the rulebook.

Well there's your problem right there.

There's nothing worse than when someone slaps down a game they've never even cracked open and says "I have no idea how to play this" and then waits expectantly for someone else to take over the job of rules learner. Scratch that, the worst is when they proceed to read the entire rulebook out loud while everyone squirms in their seats. :shepicide:

I can understand if you only meet once every month or something, it's nice to give everyone a shot at playing what they brought in, but in that case it'd be even more rude for a person to wait until the very last moment to start digging into a game they want to play.

I generally just say "why don't you learn the rules and bring it back when you've got a good idea of how to play" or "If you want I can take it home with me and figure it out so we can play it next time". If you have no idea how to play a game, you shouldn't bring it to game night with the expectation of getting it on the table, unless you've worked out an agreement with the other players in advance.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I can't say I've ever seen someone expect me to teach them something they brought, but that's possibly just because no one else buys games period

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Countblanc posted:

I can't say I've ever seen someone expect me to teach them something they brought, but that's possibly just because no one else buys games period

I've seen it. Luckily it's rare and most people if they're going into a game they haven't played before have watched videos and read the rules a few times and let everyone know it's a learning game beforehand that way everyone is on the same page. If I didn't do this I'd never get to properly learn 3 player minimum games.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There's a dude at the meets I go to sometimes who brings games still in shrink that he has no idea how to play, and when I tell him im not interested he always looks befuddled.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Countblanc posted:

My girlfriend's sister's family does this to me.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Because I mostly go to meet-ups (well not that much anymore, but I used to) and I only really play the stuff that I want to play, I get to do a lot of rules teaching. The only times I get caught out and having to read the rulebook is if I know something but haven’t played it in ages, 1846 for example. Otherwise reading the rules a few times, then learning game, then reread of rules once the game is over is really good for learning a game well, especially the latter action. I got teaching Dungeon Petz down to a science now.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm always down with learning a game with some friends, but there are those that I trust to do that with - my gf, and one of my friends that I play board games frequently with, for example. There was one guy who brought over a copy of a game that had to do with some fire in London, and stated he hadn't played it. This was fine, my friend and I did this all the time with each other. We skim the rules, give an overview, and go through the rules. We've got learning new games to a science (though obviously we accidentally skip some rules or get some wrong on our first time, but that's to be expected).

This guy started reading the rulebook, word for word, to the table. My friend and I exchanged a look of "what the gently caress is he doing" but since neither of us knew him particularly well, were powerless to stop him. It was painful.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My personal peeve is people who, even after being reminded repeatedly, never announce the end of their turn. They just do their actions silently, working through their poo poo, then when they're done they just... quietly start planning their next turn or whatever.

Repeatedly ending up with "so... Nothing has happened for a while. Whose turn is it? Are you done?"

:confused: eh? oh yeah I'm done go ahead

It's not hard to tell people you're done your turn, but I swear no one does it and I sometimes feel like I'm the only person in the world with this weird unreasonable expectation or something.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The Eyes Have It posted:

My personal peeve is people who, even after being reminded repeatedly, never announce the end of their turn. They just do their actions silently, working through their poo poo, then when they're done they just... quietly start planning their next turn or whatever.

Repeatedly ending up with "so... Nothing has happened for a while. Whose turn is it? Are you done?"

:confused: eh? oh yeah I'm done go ahead

It's not hard to tell people you're done your turn, but I swear no one does it and I sometimes feel like I'm the only person in the world with this weird unreasonable expectation or something.

I really like it when a game has a clear, unambiguous final action that lets other players know you're done. For example, in Mage Knight you re-roll any used mana dice, and in many games you can pass the dice unless you needed multiple sets due to table size etc. Another simple example is games where you only do one thing per turn, such as bridge. However, if a game does such I am reasonably likely to not say anything, because I assume the next player will know they're up... and then they don't and we all waste time and there is much suffering.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

These recent comments have made me even more grateful for my meetup. No one ever brings a game they aren't capable of teaching, and beyond that several people regularly watch tutorials for games beforehand. Some watch tutorials out of curiosity, even when they don't anticipate playing the game any time soon!

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

For people who do meet ups, do you play several different games or bring a couple and replay them throughout the event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Quixotic1 posted:

For people who do meet ups, do you play several different games or bring a couple and replay them throughout the event?

Different games, although my meetups are in the evenings and there probably wouldn't be time to replay anything that approached 2 hours.