Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
probably for the best, "we're not going to show you your offer until you prove what you used to make" is incredibly scummy and powertripping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, what this says is that they weren't interested in hiring you unless they could get you for well under what you're worth, and even if you'd hired on you'd've been subject to a probably-toxic environment.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

On the one hand, yeah, you dodged a bullet here.

On the other, someone keeps shooting at all of us.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Yeah, it's worth keeping in mind that what they're asking for is illegal in a growing number of states and large municipalities

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

uncurable mlady posted:

probably for the best, "we're not going to show you your offer until you prove what you used to make" is incredibly scummy and powertripping.

Not emptyquoting

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

On the other, someone keeps shooting at all of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwbzxemJZIc

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I agree with y'all but I'm real salty this morning, like I lost to a cannon rush

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Name and shame.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ratbert90 posted:

Name and shame.

SmileDirectClub

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Even consulting companies with strict maximum $ / hr possible for a billable resource have given me better, more transparent offers than some secretive poker / shell game. You dodged a bullet there and I feel sorry for anyone to get suckered in.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Careful Drums posted:

SmileDirectClub

even a cursory google shows that these dudes got sued and are under fire from orthodontists for their business practices so yeah i think you dodged a bullet here dogg

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

uncurable mlady posted:

even a cursory google shows that these dudes got sued and are under fire from orthodontists for their business practices so yeah i think you dodged a bullet here dogg

I saw that but chalked it up to orthodontists mad that a new tech company was eating their lunch, and having had braces from a lovely ortho, gently caress em. This is a non-trivial part of why I was stoked for this spot. Oh well

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Having had Invisalign through an actual orthodontist SmileDirectClub seems like a huge scam

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t give it to them. Like, absolutely don’t work for them, but you didn’t want to do that anyway. Show them a screenshot from Workday or w/e, get the offer, and use it for Seattle. If Seattle passes, tell Nashville exactly why they can get hosed.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Achmed Jones posted:

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t give it to them. Like, absolutely don’t work for them, but you didn’t want to do that anyway. Show them a screenshot from Workday or w/e, get the offer, and use it for Seattle. If Seattle passes, tell Nashville exactly why they can get hosed.

Well, I did / do want to work for them. I also wanted them not to lowball me, so I refused to give the info.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Never give your current comp to a prospective new employee. They want to know it so they can pay you as little as possible. By forcing them to name a number first, you make them guess at what you're being paid. Not only might they guess high, but they're not likely to guess at the top of what they're willing to pay you, so you can generally negotiate higher from there. Whereas if you tell them what you're paid, they can choose a number that's exactly high enough to tempt you, and you have no leverage to use to argue them higher.

Also it's illegal in several states for employers to ask for your current compensation. https://www.hrdive.com/news/salary-history-ban-states-list/516662/

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Careful Drums posted:

I saw that but chalked it up to orthodontists mad that a new tech company was eating their lunch, and having had braces from a lovely ortho, gently caress em. This is a non-trivial part of why I was stoked for this spot. Oh well

Orthodontist should be mad because DirectSmileClub claims it's treatment isn't a medical procedure and is endangering the health of people who use it by performing a medical procedure without proper observation. There are numerous issues that can crop up during orthodontics which can affect long term dental health that they wave away and then sue anyone that mentions them.

If you get options or RSUs it is however a great way to make money.

asur fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 13, 2019

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ugh it has been five hours now and i am still mad about this

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Careful Drums posted:

Well, I did / do want to work for them. I also wanted them not to lowball me, so I refused to give the info.

You already gave them that information verbally. Providing proof doesn’t enable a lowball any more than providing salary information with your mouth.

Of course if they didn’t give you a chance to back down from the initial refusal, then gently caress ‘em because the first answer to that request is definitely “lol what, no, pay for a background check that includes that info if you want”

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Achmed Jones posted:

You already gave them that information verbally. Providing proof doesn’t enable a lowball any more than providing salary information with your mouth.

Of course if they didn’t give you a chance to back down from the initial refusal, then gently caress ‘em because the first answer to that request is definitely “lol what, no, pay for a background check that includes that info if you want”

Yeah, if they said "hand it over or no deal" I'd have done so, just to see, knowing it would suck. But they shut down quickly.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Conversations on comp should be starting fairly early with “here’s the range we expected and variable comp of X, Y, Z depending upon your interview performance and any competing offer including your current compensation. Does that work for you?” More than half my recruiter calls these days stop quickly after that line and everyone’s better for it.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

necrobobsledder posted:

Conversations on comp should be starting fairly early with “here’s the range we expected and variable comp of X, Y, Z depending upon your interview performance and any competing offer including your current compensation. Does that work for you?” More than half my recruiter calls these days stop quickly after that line and everyone’s better for it.
Whaaaaat, who is this upfront about comp?! Is this normal? This doesn’t feel normal.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I do it a more subtle way that gets them to reveal the top range and I like to go a bit under for their comfort or to negotiate for a comp review if they’re apprehensive about my performance. I usually go something like “the Glassdoor estimate says X - Y base. Is that accurate?” and things go from there. I’m an old so I’m aware of the real market ranges so that doesn’t hurt either.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

necrobobsledder posted:

I usually go something like “the Glassdoor estimate says X - Y base. Is that accurate?”

This is still you naming a number first, which anchors your expectations to that range. They can then happily say "oh yeah we pay Y" when, if you'd made them name a number first, they might've said Y * 1.25 instead.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

fourwood posted:

Whaaaaat, who is this upfront about comp?! Is this normal? This doesn’t feel normal.

I had some luck responding to "What is your current salary?" with "I'd rather not say but is there a salary band for this position?".

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I live in a state where it’s illegal to ask my salary and illegal not to provide the salary band.

People - who are in-state - still ask my salary and refuse to provide the band, they just prefix asking with “I’m not allowed to ask your salary but...” and pretend I didn’t ask for the band (or say that it’s super variable and then pretend I didn’t ask when I ask what it varies between). But, like, I wasn’t gonna not-cave while talking to bigtech recruiters :-/

Interviewing and recruiting is garbage

Also: sorry for my misunderstanding, Careful Drums!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is still you naming a number first, which anchors your expectations to that range. They can then happily say "oh yeah we pay Y" when, if you'd made them name a number first, they might've said Y * 1.25 instead.
And given the possibilities out there, I don’t see the problem honestly. There is still a non-zero chance of being low-balled but it’s much better than setting a line around your own market position which is where most people new to negotiating screw up.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Achmed Jones posted:

I live in a state where it’s illegal to ask my salary and illegal not to provide the salary band.

People - who are in-state - still ask my salary and refuse to provide the band, they just prefix asking with “I’m not allowed to ask your salary but...” and pretend I didn’t ask for the band (or say that it’s super variable and then pretend I didn’t ask when I ask what it varies between). But, like, I wasn’t gonna not-cave while talking to bigtech recruiters :-/

Interviewing and recruiting is garbage

Also: sorry for my misunderstanding, Careful Drums!

No worries bud :)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Munkeymon posted:

I had some luck responding to "What is your current salary?" with "I'd rather not say but is there a salary band for this position?".
I was unemployed during my last couple searches and it's real fun to say "Zero. My current salary is Zero." and pivot it to talk about needing Interesting Work. But now I live in a Good state with legal mandates and whatnot.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

JawnV6 posted:

I was unemployed during my last couple searches and it's real fun to say "Zero. My current salary is Zero." and pivot it to talk about needing Interesting Work. But now I live in a Good state with legal mandates and whatnot.

Just realized that what they were mostly asking is "What are your salary expectations?" which I'm guessing skirts the letter of those laws. Anyway, yeah, changing the subject instead of answering the question is the way to go.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
A long while back I read an actually really good little article on LinkedIn about avoiding that whole question and it worked wonders for me with recruiters in the States.
They end up saying 'What do you make?' or equivalent.
And you say 'I'm looking for compensation at $(whatever)'

In a quick case it can sound like you've answered their question. And under any pressure you just repeat your answer. That's your number and they can speak to it. If they come back and say 'ok well, we can do 5% under it' well, then you've got a choice and I hope you've chosen a number that reflects a reasonable pay bump. In a really really rare case a recruiter will go 'well I think I can get you more than that, but it's good to know a floor.'

Broadly speaking we're valuable people with a valuable and important skillset. Acting like we're at the mercy of employers only harms the collective group in the long run.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the fact that programmers are having conversations like this probably explains why they didn't ask me what I made, they wanted proof. Turning them down just showed I was serious and wouldn't be pushed around.

gently caress those guys

e: just realized they still owe me $70 in travel reimbursmetns. I wonder if I'll ever see that money.

Careful Drums fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 14, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Careful Drums posted:

e: just realized they still owe me $70 in travel reimbursmetns. I wonder if I'll ever see that money.

Write it off and if you do get it back, treat it as lottery winnings.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Careful Drums posted:

the fact that programmers are having conversations like this probably explains why they didn't ask me what I made, they wanted proof. Turning them down just showed I was serious and wouldn't be pushed around.

gently caress those guys

I have a theory about this that boils down to the combination of an unregulated profession and 'how hard could it be?' output.

The first half being is that compared to other significantly paid professions, there's no standard central board handing out programming licenses.
The second being that when you look at twitter as a suit and go 'wait, why do I need to pay all of my programmers that much money, it seems so SIMPLE, I bet my teenager could do it in a weekend, they're probably just inflating their rates!'

So you end up with the purse strings being handled by people who don't really understand what's going on, and who have probably been burnt by folks demanding high wages but outputting garbage. This leads to a natural drive towards lowballing offers.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cuntpunch posted:

A long while back I read an actually really good little article on LinkedIn about avoiding that whole question and it worked wonders for me with recruiters in the States.
They end up saying 'What do you make?' or equivalent.
And you say 'I'm looking for compensation at $(whatever)'

This is still you anchoring the conversation at that $(whatever) value. The company will then always argue down from that, and you have no leverage to argue up. Whereas if you can get the company to name a number first, then you can argue up from there and they can't really argue down.

This is why companies are so insistent that you name a number first. They don't care if that number is your current comp or just what you think you're worth. They want you to name it. Because if they have to make an offer blindly, there's a chance they'll be paying you a lot more than you'd otherwise be asking for.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Say "competitive"

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is still you anchoring the conversation at that $(whatever) value. The company will then always argue down from that, and you have no leverage to argue up. Whereas if you can get the company to name a number first, then you can argue up from there and they can't really argue down.

This is why companies are so insistent that you name a number first. They don't care if that number is your current comp or just what you think you're worth. They want you to name it. Because if they have to make an offer blindly, there's a chance they'll be paying you a lot more than you'd otherwise be asking for.

Part of that comes out of a pragmatism though. If you understand they're loving with you, then gently caress with them. Play the logic:

Let's say you're making 100. You can maybe expect on a good year that to go to 105 if you stay put. But you're talking about other opportunities and someone asks. If you're keen on the position, say 120, what can it hurt. Maybe they talk you down to 115 or 110, that's still better than staying put. If you figure it's grunt work, say 130, what's the worst they can do? Not offer you the job? Oh well.

There's a weird psychology in this industry about 'people who charge a lot are worth a lot' even without any other evidence on hand.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Cuntpunch posted:

Part of that comes out of a pragmatism though. If you understand they're loving with you, then gently caress with them. Play the logic:

Let's say you're making 100. You can maybe expect on a good year that to go to 105 if you stay put. But you're talking about other opportunities and someone asks. If you're keen on the position, say 120, what can it hurt. Maybe they talk you down to 115 or 110, that's still better than staying put. If you figure it's grunt work, say 130, what's the worst they can do? Not offer you the job? Oh well.

There's a weird psychology in this industry about 'people who charge a lot are worth a lot' even without any other evidence on hand.

If you're going to gently caress with them at least give a number that's not realistic or on the upper end. Giving a number that is less than 20% over your current is just begging to be under payed.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Someone on here recommended the book Negotiating your salary: How to make $1000 a minute and I highly recommend it too. The book's a bit old, but the advice is still very good and it's a short read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

asur posted:

If you're going to gently caress with them at least give a number that's not realistic or on the upper end. Giving a number that is less than 20% over your current is just begging to be under payed.

IME they're much more likely to reveal that you've gone above the salary band they totally have but weren't admitting to a minute ago.