Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lambert posted:

New Coke wasn't a total loss. They never actually went back to the previous formula, after all

Assuming that I live somewhere that makes coke with sugar instead of corn syrup (so most of the world), is this still true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Computer viking posted:

Assuming that I live somewhere that makes coke with sugar instead of corn syrup (so most of the world), is this still true?

Yes, it's all "Classic" regardless of whether it's sugar or corn syrup

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Yes, but isn't the big/only difference between "classic" and classic in the US the sugar/HFC thing?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Now explain the difference, if any, between Coke Zero and Coke Zero Sugar.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Republicans posted:

Now explain the difference, if any, between Coke Zero and Coke Zero Sugar.

There isn't, is there? I thought Zero Sugar was just a weird rebrand of Zero

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

There isn't, is there? I thought Zero Sugar was just a weird rebrand of Zero

I looked it up and they claim they changed the recipe for the flavorings to make it taste more like regular coke. Might be true, but now it and coke zero cherry are the only colas I like because everything else tastes weird to me.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Computer viking posted:

Yes, but isn't the big/only difference between "classic" and classic in the US the sugar/HFC thing?

No, they had already moved away from sugar before New Coke came out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Computer viking posted:

I wasn't around for that but iirc New Coke was an actual change in the formula, not just switching sweeteners. Think about it, Coke Classic contains HFCS so you're saying that they switched to Sugar for New Coke and that caused people to say that it tastes bad, so they switched back to HFCS? That makes no sense.

e: iirc there's also the conspiracy theory that they wanted to switch from sugar to hfcs, so they made a bad-tasting New Coke and then when they switched over to Coke Classic with HFCS no one noticed the difference. But as usual reality doesn't jive with the conspiracy theory because old coke already used HFCS

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 11, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It was mostly a change because Coca-Cola was getting beaten by Pepsi, and market research showed people preferred the sweeter taste of Pepsi. So Coke tried to reformulate to something that tasted sweeter, which actually focus grouped well... and was panned to hell in the South, where drinking Coke was a shibboleth for their cultural identity.

Funny thing was that in the end it worked, and despite rolling back to the old formula within a couple months, it put Coke's sales over Pepsi by end of '85 due to the controversy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The cola wars are something that seem central to the retail and marketing conflicts of the century and beyond. I loosely remember this TV interview on some show where they talk about Coca-Cola's history of advertising, the host jokes that it sounds like Coke is having an identity crisis, and the guest says that's exactly right.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

From several pages ago, so apologies, but...

Hungry posted:

What the gently caress is going on with eyeglasses in the USA?

My prescription changed, but I have two pairs of glasses less than a year old, so I figured I'd try to get new lenses put in the frames. Must be cheaper, right?

Wrong. Every brick-and-mortar place in the city quoted upwards of $150 just for new lenses, with some climbing to $250. Meanwhile I can go online and get exactly the same frames, brand new, with new lenses, for less than $100.

How are any of these places still in business? What on earth is going on here?

A little while back, I needed some fake glasses for a character for some web series a friend was doing. I called up a costume/prop store and this is how the conversation went:

Me: Hi, do you sell fake glasses?
Rep: Yes we do.
Me: Sweet. How much?
Rep: Well that depends. You have two options, rent or buy.
Me: Well we might need these a while so how much to buy?
Rep: To buy, it's generally around $300.
Me: I'm sorry, I think there was some distortion. How much was it?
Rep: $300
Me: I'm...I'm sorry, You said, THREE HUNDRED?
Rep: That's right.
Me: Okay, to be clear, you realize I'm asking for prop glasses right? As in, fake? As in, they don't work? As in, they're literally just for looks.
Rep: Yes, I understand that, but that's how much they are, even if they're props.
Me: :psyboom:

How the gently caress is this a thing? It's already criminal for people who need legitimate glasses to be charged that much. But what kind of sadistic lowlives charge that make for glasses that don't do anything?!?!

And this wasn't some unfortunate occurance on my part. I called up three other stores that had similar pricing as well.

WHAT.THE.gently caress.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Aren't frames an actual monopoly?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Mr Interweb posted:

A little while back, I needed some fake glasses for a character for some web series a friend was doing. I called up a costume/prop store and this is how the conversation went:

Me: Okay, to be clear, you realize I'm asking for prop glasses right? As in, fake? As in, they don't work? As in, they're literally just for looks.
Rep: Yes, I understand that, but that's how much they are, even if they're props.

How the gently caress is this a thing? It's already criminal for people who need legitimate glasses to be charged that much. But what kind of sadistic lowlives charge that make for glasses that don't do anything?!?!

And this wasn't some unfortunate occurance on my part. I called up three other stores that had similar pricing as well.

WHAT.THE.gently caress.

That's weird, just looking online they cost anywhere from $6 to $70 depending on style and materials. Did you call actual eyeglass stores or all prop/costume?

Republicans fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 11, 2019

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Republicans posted:

That's weird, just looking online they cost anywhere from $6 to $70 depending on style and materials.

Fake ones?

quote:

Did you call actual eyeglass stores or all prop/costume?

Yeah, it was both.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
You can buy fake glasses from Halloween supply sites for like $8 a pair and buy actual quality ones off of Etsy for like $50 so I dunno how you got quoted $300.

efb

I'm not entirely surprised though. My limited experience with costume stuff is that once you get beyond mass-produced low-quality seasonal crap, you're basically buying small-batch or tailored designer clothes and you can expect the prices to reflect that.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 11, 2019

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

OneEightHundred posted:

You can buy fake glasses from Halloween supply sites for like $8 a pair and buy actual quality ones off of Etsy for like $50 so I dunno how you got quoted $300.

efb

I'm not entirely surprised though. My limited experience with costume stuff is that once you get beyond mass-produced low-quality seasonal crap, you're basically buying small-batch or tailored designer clothes and you can expect the prices to reflect that.

Is this something that's specific to costume/prop brick and mortar stores?

Cause again, I must have the worst luck in the world or all the reps were loving with me

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

WHAT.THE.gently caress.

As a follow up to my original post there, I ended up getting brand new frames and lenses, shipped from loving Europe, for under $100.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mr Interweb posted:

WHAT.THE.gently caress.

When I got new glasses I bought them online at Zenni and my parents were straight up shocked they were 30 bucks. First thing my dad, who loses his glasses regularly, did was order three pairs. They might not be beautiful designer frames or anything but this is the first time in my life I have considered buying a pair just for the look and not raw functionally.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

Cause again, I must have the worst luck in the world or all the reps were loving with me

You can order frames with optical clear lenses off Zenni for ~30. The price they quoted you was because people have gotten wise to the racket and started buying frames and having lenses made to fit overseas for 30 bucks, so b&m have jumped their prices to encourage just buying the whole thing there as they throw in the lenses for 'free'.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

there wolf posted:

Aren't frames an actual monopoly?

No, but there is a single company (Luxottica) that owns a ton of different well-known brands (Oakley, Ray-Ban, etc), the eyewear license for every big-name designer you've ever heard of, and a bunch of retail stores including LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, Sunglass Hut, and Target's optical department.

You can definitely buy non-Luxottica glasses, but it's also possible to wander into a store, look at 500 different pairs of frames from 50 different "manufacturers," check out the "competition" with similar products, and not realize that it's all from a single vertically integrated company that owns something like 80% of the market.

As for the fake glasses thing - yes, they're as expensive as single-vision glasses, because that's what they are. The frames are the same, and zero power lenses still have to be ground and treated with all the same coatings so you don't end up with lenses that are like looking through saran wrap. $300 is too much, but they're not going to be any cheaper than "real" glasses.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Mr Interweb posted:

I was looking for an actual good vampire costume a few years ago for a recurring Halloween gimmick and was hitting stuff like:
http://www.thedarkstore.com/en/gothic-jackets-and-coats/1894-lestat-punk-rave-men-s-cloak.html

... and wound up buying something from this manufacturer: http://www.darkincloset.com/5_devil-fashion

At that point, you're not buying a "costume," you're buying designer clothes.

I don't know for sure if the same applies to glasses, but if they're selling you something that would cost $300 with corrective lenses in it, there's not much reason to think they'd charge any less for it with non-corrective lenses because there really isn't any difference in the manufacturing process. You're buying glasses. The only reason I'd expect a price difference is that corrective lenses can be priced to gobble up insurance company money.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Like Space Gopher says, it's really no less effort for them to make clear lenses than any single prescription lens. They still need all the same coatings and use the same machines to grind them to size, so they're going to cost about the same.

Which for my last pair of nice titanium frames with anti-glare and oil-resistant lenses from Zenni was $52.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And given fashion has no upper limit on price, I'm quite sure there's a big market in selling cosmetic glasses to people with too much money.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇
If one does need glasses just to put on for costume, why not buy the cheap reading glasses? Around here you see them at druggists and major travel points like airports and big train stations, they come in a few standard very low magnify power, and price is rarely over 10 euro a pair. They should be available elsewhere too.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They’re also really cheap I’m assuming they are more designer than a cheap reading pair at a pharmacy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Space Gopher posted:

No, but there is a single company (Luxottica) that owns a ton of different well-known brands (Oakley, Ray-Ban, etc), the eyewear license for every big-name designer you've ever heard of, and a bunch of retail stores including LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, Sunglass Hut, and Target's optical department.

You can definitely buy non-Luxottica glasses, but it's also possible to wander into a store, look at 500 different pairs of frames from 50 different "manufacturers," check out the "competition" with similar products, and not realize that it's all from a single vertically integrated company that owns something like 80% of the market.

What you're describing is a monopoly. It's not about there being no competitors, it's about whether the competition is substantial enough to matter.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

If one does need glasses just to put on for costume, why not buy the cheap reading glasses? Around here you see them at druggists and major travel points like airports and big train stations, they come in a few standard very low magnify power, and price is rarely over 10 euro a pair. They should be available elsewhere too.

Because you don't want to wear glasses without the proper kinds of lenses for people with normal vision.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Mr Interweb posted:

Because you don't want to wear glasses without the proper kinds of lenses for people with normal vision.

That's doesn't matter for purposes of a costume, you will be fine with the weakest of off-shelf reading lenses. They have very minor effect besides slight magnify, unlike other people's glasses who would have differing prescriptions and curves for people's eyes.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

That's doesn't matter for purposes of a costume, you will be fine with the weakest of off-shelf reading lenses. They have very minor effect besides slight magnify, unlike other people's glasses who would have differing prescriptions and curves for people's eyes.

Yeah, that's enough to give you splitting migraines after extended wear.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

QuarkJets posted:

I wasn't around for that but iirc New Coke was an actual change in the formula, not just switching sweeteners. Think about it, Coke Classic contains HFCS so you're saying that they switched to Sugar for New Coke and that caused people to say that it tastes bad, so they switched back to HFCS? That makes no sense.

e: iirc there's also the conspiracy theory that they wanted to switch from sugar to hfcs, so they made a bad-tasting New Coke and then when they switched over to Coke Classic with HFCS no one noticed the difference. But as usual reality doesn't jive with the conspiracy theory because old coke already used HFCS

So the timeline is something like this?
1) classic sugar coke
2) classic but with HFCS
3) new coke (which was genuinely different)
And then they went back to 2?

I had the impression that the order was 1,3,2 - but if that's not the case, I really don't get the post about "they never changed back to the original". Or is there a fourth post-new-coke modification of 2?

Anyway, this is a weird derail. :)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Computer viking posted:

So the timeline is something like this?
1) classic sugar coke
2) classic but with HFCS
3) new coke (which was genuinely different)
And then they went back to 2?

I had the impression that the order was 1,3,2 - but if that's not the case, I really don't get the post about "they never changed back to the original". Or is there a fourth post-new-coke modification of 2?

Anyway, this is a weird derail. :)

For me, it was in reference to this. Coca derivatives were removed, not sugar:

quote:

It provided cover for the final removal of all coca derivatives from the product to placate the Drug Enforcement Administration, which was trying to eradicate the plant worldwide to combat an increase in cocaine trafficking and consumption. While Coke's executives were indeed relieved the new formula contained no coca and concerned about the long-term future of the Peruvian government-owned coca fields that supplied it in the face of increasing DEA pressure to end cultivation of the crop, according to author Mark Pendergrast there was no direct pressure from the DEA on Coca-Cola to do so.[8] This theory was endorsed in a Time magazine article, as well as by historian Bartow Elmore, who claims the reformulation was made in response to the escalating War on Drugs by the Reagan Administration.[28]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

Also, I assume they just made the best out of the situation (Coca Cola was hoping to introduce a new and better-selling product, but settled for making Coke "Classic" cheaper instead.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

A-ha, that makes sense. Thanks.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Diet Coke is based off the New Coke formula, that's why they have both Diet Coke and Coke Zero which is a sugar-free version of the original.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

less than three posted:

Diet Coke is based off the New Coke formula, that's why they have both Diet Coke and Coke Zero which is a sugar-free version of the original.

You mean the other way around, New Coke formula was made from changing Diet Coke of several years earlier to have sugar syrup. Diet Coke also did not attempt to replicate regular Coke taste too closely in first place, as executives had fear that doing so might make people angry.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
My favorite soda history thing is that tab clear was bad and coke knew it was bad and the whole point of it was to ruin crystal pepsi by trying to equate crystal clear with being some bad tasting health drink for girly girls. And also coming only in cans so you couldn't even see if the tab was actually clear or not to like, torpedo anyone talking about crystal pepsi as anything but "these clear sodas are really stupid"

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

My favorite soda history thing is that tab clear was bad and coke knew it was bad and the whole point of it was to ruin crystal pepsi by trying to equate crystal clear with being some bad tasting health drink for girly girls. And also coming only in cans so you couldn't even see if the tab was actually clear or not to like, torpedo anyone talking about crystal pepsi as anything but "these clear sodas are really stupid"

Crystal Pepsi did it all on its own.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Doctor Butts posted:

Crystal Pepsi did it all on its own.

I was stunned to see a few bottles of that recently at remote shops. I had a bit and it wasn't bad, I was just gobsmacked to still see it.

Then again, I used to really enjoy Mango Pepsi Next and they stopped making that after a few years.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Haha get hosed Amazon.

Amazon posted:

After much thought and deliberation, we’ve decided not to move forward with our plans to build a headquarters for Amazon in Long Island City, Queens. For Amazon, the commitment to build a new headquarters requires positive, collaborative relationships with state and local elected officials who will be supportive over the long-term. While polls show that 70% of New Yorkers support our plans and investment, a number of state and local politicians have made it clear that they oppose our presence and will not work with us to build the type of relationships that are required to go forward with the project we and many others envisioned in Long Island City.

We are disappointed to have reached this conclusion—we love New York, its incomparable dynamism, people, and culture—and particularly the community of Long Island City, where we have gotten to know so many optimistic, forward-leaning community leaders, small business owners, and residents. There are currently over 5,000 Amazon employees in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Staten Island, and we plan to continue growing these teams.

We are deeply grateful to Governor Cuomo, Mayor de Blasio, and their staffs, who so enthusiastically and graciously invited us to build in New York City and supported us during the process. Governor Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio have worked tirelessly on behalf of New Yorkers to encourage local investment and job creation, and we can’t speak positively enough about all their efforts. The steadfast commitment and dedication that these leaders have demonstrated to the communities they represent inspired us from the very beginning and is one of the big reasons our decision was so difficult.

We do not intend to reopen the HQ2 search at this time. We will proceed as planned in Northern Virginia and Nashville, and we will continue to hire and grow across our 17 corporate offices and tech hubs in the U.S. and Canada.

Thank you again to Governor Cuomo, Mayor de Blasio, and the many other community leaders and residents who welcomed our plans and supported us along the way. We hope to have future chances to collaborate as we continue to build our presence in New York over time.
https://blog.aboutamazon.com/company-news/update-on-plans-for-new-york-city-headquarters

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

I'm guessing that the state expected them to pay some tax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

JustJeff88 posted:

I was stunned to see a few bottles of that recently at remote shops. I had a bit and it wasn't bad, I was just gobsmacked to still see it.

Then again, I used to really enjoy Mango Pepsi Next and they stopped making that after a few years.

They actually did a rerelease last year. I ran out and bought some and it was okay I guess but not enough for me to waste insulin on it.