Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

More figure-sketching, kept it simpler than yesterday and I think that worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I spent the last 2 days drawing plants!

Copper spoons:

Camellias! I unintentionally walked into a camellia show.

And then I picked some flowers and drew them. And tried my hand at Acanthus leaves, omg.

I've been feeling motivated so hopefully I can keep it up!

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hangin out at the graveyard, like you do. :drac:

e:

Drawing faces fast is hard. Drawing faces anyway is hard. Drawing Gollum without reference is surprisingly easy.

lofi fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 12, 2019

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Quick sketch tonight.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Shinmera posted:

Hey. I somehow stopped wanting to draw for an entire month. I kept thinking I should, but then it just never happened until today.

It's cool that you've started up again.

I haven't drawn in ages and when I do it's always kinda half baked. I like how you've boldly lined your work and even coloured it. It'd take me hours to make something approximating your "quick sketch"

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Shinmera posted:

More painting practise today.

I know you didn't ask for criticism, but this is an easy fix for a simple issue-- if the bottom or top of a cylinder is flatter than the other that means your eye is closer to that plane than the other. Judging by the lower curve, your eye would be toward the bottom and in that case you wouldn't be able to see the top plane. If you want to keep the top as is, it means your eye is above the top and the bottom curve should be even more round than the top.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Happy Valentines' Day from Saitō Musashibō Benkei, who died in a standing position against a hailstorm of arrows

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

That last pixel art drawing might be my favorite thing I made with the dotpict app, I've been missing doing sorta more detailed isometric stuff like that.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's cool that you've started up again.

I haven't drawn in ages and when I do it's always kinda half baked. I like how you've boldly lined your work and even coloured it. It'd take me hours to make something approximating your "quick sketch"

Thanks for the encouraging words! Sorry to hear that you're having problems getting started again yourself! What usually helps me after a long break, or when I'm having trouble getting something onto the canvas, is to keep thinking to myself that really anything will do, no matter how small or crude.

I definitely know the sentiment about sketches as well, ha ha. Watching artists post their "quick sketches" on Twitter always makes me bewildered. Though I guess if the me from five or ten years ago saw what I could do now he'd probably be similarly impressed. Just gotta keep going!

Flavius Aetass posted:

I know you didn't ask for criticism, but this is an easy fix for a simple issue-- if the bottom or top of a cylinder is flatter than the other that means your eye is closer to that plane than the other. Judging by the lower curve, your eye would be toward the bottom and in that case you wouldn't be able to see the top plane. If you want to keep the top as is, it means your eye is above the top and the bottom curve should be even more round than the top.

Thanks for the critique. I actually noticed the problem myself while I was working on it, but couldn't be bothered to fix it. I should have spent more time on the sketch phase to iron that out before it was all painted over.

Today: a reiteration of yesterday's.

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 13, 2019

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Are you perhaps watching Vinny?

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Shinmera posted:

Are you perhaps watching Vinny?

Yeah I got back into watching him recently!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Somehow only had 15m to draw today, despite doing gently caress all else. :effort:

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

This dude really loved Gangs of New York, huh?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Took a break from my usual MO to make a V-day family portrait for my wife

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

lofi posted:

This dude really loved Gangs of New York, huh?
Or Gogol Bordello.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Progress is slow, but inevitable.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Those are super cute.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Progress is slow, but inevitable.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Back to my regularly scheduled programming. Got another show coming, need content. Mix and match art?

Don’t use copics on bristol board unless you like buying them frequently

sinc
Jul 6, 2008
Can’t tell anymore if this is working at all or not, turns out black-on-black is not the easiest color scheme to work with... It’s Behemoth the fat Russian demon cat.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I reckon it's working just fine, looks badass to me! The eyes are a clear focal point, and the outline gives enough detail to be clear what it is.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

dupersaurus posted:

Back to my regularly scheduled programming. Got another show coming, need content. Mix and match art?

Don’t use copics on bristol board unless you like buying them frequently

Use paint markers instead! Sharpie brand are cheapest and most opaque in my experience, and assuming those pieces aren’t huge (like multiple feet in diameter) it’ll be a better choice. They also help prevent that streaking/shading effect you get from markers.

I’ve always used the oil based ones, but I believe water based ones exist.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Theokotos posted:

Use paint markers instead! Sharpie brand are cheapest and most opaque in my experience, and assuming those pieces aren’t huge (like multiple feet in diameter) it’ll be a better choice. They also help prevent that streaking/shading effect you get from markers.

I’ve always used the oil based ones, but I believe water based ones exist.

Yeah I've got a stash of poscas I should use more often, and all my metallics are sakuras

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Huh, I'd never have suspected that'd be a bad interaction. Yay other people doing research for me!

Wossname from Fury Road:

I'm kinda pleased with it, drawing hollywood-bland-attractive is hard, give me someone with some wrinkles anyday. Brow's a little heavy, but not bad for 15m.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah I've got a stash of poscas I should use more often, and all my metallics are sakuras

Deco color has some really pretty color options, but they’re inconsistent with opacity and also $$$

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Theokotos posted:

Deco color has some really pretty color options, but they’re inconsistent with opacity and also $$$

Hella cheaper than copics, though. Don't do color often, but might look into getting some. How are the metallics?

lofi posted:

Huh, I'd never have suspected that'd be a bad interaction. Yay other people doing research for me!

I think that's why you're supposed to use markers on thin paper. Bristol is just too drat thirsty.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

dupersaurus posted:

Hella cheaper than copics, though. Don't do color often, but might look into getting some. How are the metallics?

I think that's why you're supposed to use markers on thin paper. Bristol is just too drat thirsty.

Natural light:

Desk lamp:

On watercolor paper, for thirstiness:

First two on 60lb sketch paper, you can see the inconsistency from the decos-the purple is sitting on top of the paper nicely like the sharpies, but the blues are way more transparent. also the deco nibs can be randomly scratchy :/

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I was watching a game stream, but it was boring, so I drew the streamer instead:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

dupersaurus posted:

You can use marker paper, which is thin with one side plastifisomethinged to prevent bleeding for optimal marker usage.
However I rather use bristol board 250~300gr as it is so much sturdier for doing whatever you want with it. For the markers I will buy refills and just deal with it.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

#irked

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

sinc posted:

Can’t tell anymore if this is working at all or not, turns out black-on-black is not the easiest color scheme to work with... It’s Behemoth the fat Russian demon cat.

wow!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Slow but steady drawing progress. Wanted to get more general body shape practice, had the most trouble with the back and butt. Still suck at faces and arms, will work on those eventually.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

sinc posted:

Good job.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

sigma 6 posted:

Good job.
Я тебя люблю, Бегемот.

Open the door for your mystery date:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yes.