Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

qirex posted:

lol crackdown 3, microsoft's big banner holder for azure gaming services for the cloud, is boring garbage, coming five years late it's somehow boring and buggy plus the cloud part hasn't even been released yet because they can't get it to work. they have basically no upcoming exclusives this year except for the annual forza and a vague promise of some halo game that will probably get pushed to the xbox zero or whatever the next one is called. I do feel a little bad for terry crews, he seems like a good dude

for those for you not familiar with game reviews most big releases are rated on a scale from 7 to 10 so this is basically a -1

they're even skipping Forza this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

every once in a while giant bomb mentions how they get pushback from game developers for their five point scale because it skews the metacritic average and how they have to explain to the devs that it isn't their problem that everybody else rates games the wrong way and that metacritic is trash

good

it's nice to see they have enough clout to be able to tell companies to go gently caress themselves considering that giantbomb was created after the head guy was fired from gamespot for giving a medicore review to a game that paid for every pixel of the site to be covered in it's advertising

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

qirex posted:

fun fact: publishers link studios bonus structure to metacritic, there was a story a few years back that nobody in a whole company got a performance bonus on a game because it got an 89 instead of 90

it's basically the enterprise version of those receipt surveys where if you don't rate the person who sold you a pair of sneakers a 5 they get in trouble

yeah, this is precisely the issue -- a giant bomb "perfect" five star score is 100%, an giant bomb "great" four star score is 80%

The_Franz posted:

it's nice to see they have enough clout to be able to tell companies to go gently caress themselves considering that giantbomb was created after the head guy was fired from gamespot for giving a medicore review to a game that paid for every pixel of the site to be covered in it's advertising

the funny thing is that he didn't get fired for that (Kane & Lynch), he got fired because Sony complained about him giving Ratchet & Clank Future a low score

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/1096119055243653120

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

qirex posted:

fun fact: publishers link studios bonus structure to metacritic, there was a story a few years back that nobody in a whole company got a performance bonus on a game because it got an 89 instead of 90

it's basically the enterprise version of those receipt surveys where if you don't rate the person who sold you a pair of sneakers a 5 they get in trouble

that's gotta be a scam to get out of paying bonuses. why the christ would a game studio's bonus be tied to game critic reviews instead of actual loving sales?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that's gotta be a scam to get out of paying bonuses. why the christ would a game studio's bonus be tied to game critic reviews instead of actual loving sales?

presumably there are different tiers of bonuses with different conditions and for different departments.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

qirex posted:

that's a much better system than paying out bonuses for lovely games that sell well

qirex posted:

when going through Chinese immigration and customs, the counters are all equipped with electronic "how did I do" devices where you push a button to rate their service from big happy face to big frown. one time I went and the happy faces were upside down and that really threw me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

when going through Chinese immigration and customs, the counters are all equipped with electronic "how did I do" devices where you push a button to rate their service from big happy face to big frown. one time I went and the happy faces were upside down and that really threw me.
i've been seeing this in fast food joints and stores here

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

i've been seeing this in fast food joints and stores here

are you in china or somewhere else

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

is microsoft going to be the sole e3 presenter this year since sony, like nintendo before them, realized that a live e3 presentation is a huge waste of money in the era of streaming video?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

This was from Bethesda's contract with Obsidian for Fallout: New Vegas. I think the required Metacritic score was 85.

The_Franz posted:

is microsoft going to be the sole e3 presenter this year since sony, like nintendo before them, realized that a live e3 presentation is a huge waste of money in the era of streaming video?

Obviously, the best time to announce something is when all your competitors are doing it at the same time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

are you in china or somewhere else

united states of freedom

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

qirex posted:

New Vegas got a lower than expected score because Bethesda forced Obsidian to use a poo poo engine, which lost them out on a bonus and nearly killed the company.

This is why Obsidian doesn't do licenses anymore (and which I largely see as a net good)

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Discounted sales/steam sales/key resellers can muddy the issue for linking performance to sales.
Even "first week sales" could potentially be really good and still not make much money.

I mean this argument is full of holes but capital managers don't think rationally and are all loving idiots.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

SRQ posted:

New Vegas got a lower than expected score because Bethesda forced Obsidian to use a poo poo engine, which lost them out on a bonus and nearly killed the company.

This is why Obsidian doesn't do licenses anymore (and which I largely see as a net good)
it's dumber - qa was done by the dev but incorporating the fixes was down to the publisher. the gold build was full of bugs patched months ago, and the main complaint lowering the score was poor qa

no conflict of interest there, especially when they're embarrassing the publisher on what should have been a lower quality title of the publisher's headline ip

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Bethesda has yet to get over NV upstaging 3 and I swear they are trying to nuke the franchise on purpose over it.

New Vegas is the perfection of the model and Beth wants to get as far from it as possible even if it kills it.

Fallout 3 wasn't even that bad but I guess Todd Howard is a baby.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SRQ posted:

Bethesda has yet to get over NV upstaging 3 and I swear they are trying to nuke the franchise on purpose over it.

New Vegas is the perfection of the model and Beth wants to get as far from it as possible even if it kills it.

Fallout 3 wasn't even that bad but I guess Todd Howard is a baby.

FNV loving owns.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

qirex posted:

lol crackdown 3, microsoft's big banner holder for azure gaming services for the cloud, is boring garbage, coming five years late it's somehow boring and buggy plus the cloud part hasn't even been released yet because they can't get it to work. they have basically no upcoming exclusives this year except for the annual forza and a vague promise of some halo game that will probably get pushed to the xbox zero or whatever the next one is called. I do feel a little bad for terry crews, he seems like a good dude

for those for you not familiar with game reviews most big releases are rated on a scale from 7 to 10 so this is basically a -1

I can't believe how long they held onto the "xbox is more powerful because of the power of the cloud" bullshit

remember they were saying how for every single xbox there would be three dedicated cloud servers providing processing power for stuff like lighting? lmfao

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

SRQ posted:

nah, you can make good games with the Elder Scrolls engine, the problem is that Bethesda insisted on doing QA for Obsidian and just ... didn't

there's rumors that Bethesda either deliberately or incompetently hosed up the final game assets after Obsidian turned them in for release, e.g. supposedly in the version of Honest Hearts that Obsidian gave to Bethesda, the character that gives you the starting quest is Essential (immortal) because he arrives on scene in the middle of a firefight and players would accidentally kill him and then immediately fail all the quests in that DLC and yet somehow in the version that Bethesda shipped to customers the Essential bit got turned off.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Didn't the xbone basically not work last week when Live was down? Like you couldn't even play one player games or watch a DVD or anything?

Also Microsoft absolutely is not making another console after this. No way.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
microsoft is dumb enough that they might

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

xboxes have achieved some level of success, which is more than they can say about the zune or windows phone or basically anything else they’ve done outside of the PC space

they’re not going to give it up

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
Is windows 10 good yet?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's worse than ever op

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows 10 literally begs you to use edge on the login screen lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

windows 10: a shaggar included in every box!

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

pram posted:

wdg should really unfuck edge before suggesting that people use it

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Fiedler posted:

wdg should really unfuck edge before suggesting that people use it

but why if it's just going to be chrome

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
why does microsoft want people to use edge? because it defaults to bing, which brings in billions of dollars in search revenue.

why would people want to use edge instead of chrome? how do you feel about the biggest advertising company in the world having your browser history?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

it's worse than ever op

its so loving bad

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

go easy, folks. windows 10 is still in the testing phases, wait for the GM

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

graph posted:

its so loving bad

it's the new normal. why bother fixing anything? we'll just shove a new thing out later to replace it that will randomly drop and add features and have a whole different set of bugs, that will itself be intended for replacement by another new thing later on.

learning from others' mistakes is just backward thinking. we need to always be moving forward. new is good. embrace change. namaste

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

graph posted:

its so loving bad

I’m the two sets of settings with different scope and styles included in windows 10

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Boiled Water posted:

I’m the two sets of settings with different scope and styles included in windows 10

i hate you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Last Chance posted:

go easy, folks. windows 10 is still in the testing phases, wait for the GM

the future, todaytm

pram
Jun 10, 2001
beta tested in the future

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
tm is option-2 - ™

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you mean
code:
™

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

you mean
code:
™

no, i dont

Adbot