Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

KakerMix posted:

You can ignore absolutely everything he says.

If he's the guy saying you need to go through this complicated process to clean your masters, only to have it delete statics and soft locking your game, then yeah, I'll ignore that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All of your Skyrim-related problems are because you refused to gently caress the dragon.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Node posted:

Unless someone can give me some very compelling reason to clean my masters, I'm just going to leave them uncleaned. That was game breaking.
Basically once upon a time someone opened FO3's DLC plugins with xEdit. They freaked out at the errors xEdit spat out and it all spiraled downward from there all the way to today. "You must clean your .ems" has become one of those magic cures to CTDs people parrot without really understand what it does.
Just like certain other things *cough*LOOT*cough*.

In most cases it's not necessary at all. That said an "identical to master" record can cause something to not work correctly and a deleted records can cause a CTD. Mindlessly running a tool is pretty dumb. But in my opinion it's still a good idea to check if something needs patching.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Oh God I haven't looked at Skyrim modding since before the Special Edition was released. Is there a good guide for Special Edition modding? I remember at launch mods not being ported to the SE but I imagine the bigger ones have been ported, correct?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Adnor posted:

Oh God I haven't looked at Skyrim modding since before the Special Edition was released. Is there a good guide for Special Edition modding? I remember at launch mods not being ported to the SE but I imagine the bigger ones have been ported, correct?

There's also a guide on how to do it manually if there's one out there that hasn't been touched yet that you really want in SE.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

nine-gear crow posted:

There's also a guide on how to do it manually if there's one out there that hasn't been touched yet that you really want in SE.

The recommended mods are basically the same from the OP, right?

EDIT: Is this guide good? https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12562 I don't plan to use the anime graphic mods tho.

Adnor fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 12, 2019

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Finally picking up a large enough SSD to throw this Anime Dragon Waifu Dating Simulator on with all my mods. Gonna finally take the plunge and migrate to Vortex and cull some mods I can do without. Not looking forward to trying to get all this poo poo to play nice together again, but it probably needs a fresh start after NMM massacred my data folders (because MO2 wasn't working for me for some reason).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I have a sickness.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Does the Switch version have access to mods?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

No. :negative:

I have a sickness.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Does the Switch version have access to mods?

it can if you're willing to mod your console and risk eating a ban

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red Metal posted:

it can if you're willing to mod your console and risk eating a ban

from what?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nintendo can and will ban you from using all online services for having a modded console.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Commander Keene posted:

Nintendo can and will ban you from using all online services for having a modded console.

What does that prevent you from doing? My newest console is a GameCube, got no idea what you actually do with online consoles other than apparently listen to racist 12 year old screaming slurs in first person shooters.

Which is not a functionality I'd miss having.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Addamere posted:

What does that prevent you from doing? My newest console is a GameCube, got no idea what you actually do with online consoles other than apparently listen to racist 12 year old screaming slurs in first person shooters.

No multiplayer, no patches, no digital games, I'd guess

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Besides eShop, Switch online services mainly just include playing multiplayer games, and the Switch version of the Virtual Console requires online. There's actually no voice chat native to Switch games. At one point, Nintendo announced a cell phone app for voice chat (of all things; Nintendo still seems to be a bit confused about the whole "online" thing), but I haven't paid much attention to that so I don't know what's going on with it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Addamere posted:

Fascinating

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Commander Keene posted:

Besides eShop, Switch online services mainly just include playing multiplayer games, and the Switch version of the Virtual Console requires online. There's actually no voice chat native to Switch games. At one point, Nintendo announced a cell phone app for voice chat (of all things; Nintendo still seems to be a bit confused about the whole "online" thing), but I haven't paid much attention to that so I don't know what's going on with it.

Can you buy games directly online with the Switch, or do you still have to buy physical cartridges or discs or whatever?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Directly online, both Switch games and Classic Console games (NES, SNES, etc...).

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dameius posted:

Directly online, both Switch games and Classic Console games (NES, SNES, etc...).

Probably worth not getting banned then

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm experiencing a hard freeze when approaching Irkngthand. Sound continues to play, bandits continue to talk, but the video and game is frozen. I've disabled every mod I can and it still happens. This place is critical to the Thieves Guild questline so I kinda need it. Does anyone know what I can do to troubleshoot this?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Node posted:

I'm experiencing a hard freeze when approaching Irkngthand. Sound continues to play, bandits continue to talk, but the video and game is frozen. I've disabled every mod I can and it still happens. This place is critical to the Thieves Guild questline so I kinda need it. Does anyone know what I can do to troubleshoot this?
Without a list of what mods you're using and what you have enabled/disabled, there isn't much we can do to troubleshoot. All I can say at this point is to try starting from an earlier save and getting to that point again. It's possible that whatever is causing the freeze is baked into your most recent save file and that reloading an earlier save may fix it.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Agents are GO! posted:

I think an excellent modpack middleground would to be able to export modlists from Mod Organizer that another user could just click on and start downloading.

Isn't that modpicker?

(is that the joke? :ohdear:)

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

How do I start the main storyline with Skyrim unleashed? I made sure to select the dragonborn option after one false start.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

clone on the phone posted:

How do I start the main storyline with Skyrim unleashed? I made sure to select the dragonborn option after one false start.

Once you kill a dragon you'll get summoned to High Hrothgar. Dragons will start spawning either at word walls or in general based on the settings in Unbound, usually either a number of in game days or when you hit a certain level.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Ah okay, I am still in my no dragons grace period so I will keep exploring. Thanks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Enderal is on Steam now. You need Oldrim installed when you install it (it uses a lot of textures nd models and legally can't include them in it's download), but can uninstall afterwords. I'm probably going to wait a day or two to make sure a couple mods work (specifically the mod that lets you wait anywhere. Enderal only lets you heal by resting in a bed or eating food, which is fine, but it also doesn't let you wait without healing, which is annoying when you just want to visit a store and it's late at night).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So I'm having a weird rear end problem. Neither Skyrim Unbound or Live Another Life is working with my current mod setup. If I add either of them in and try to launch SKSE the game just doesn't launch.

Take them out and it all works fine.

Anyone know what the issue might be?

EDIT: Holy gently caress I'm a moron and somehow downloaded the regular version of both instead of the SE when trying them out :downs:

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 15, 2019

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zore posted:

So I'm having a weird rear end problem. Neither Skyrim Unbound or Live Another Life is working with my current mod setup. If I add either of them in and try to launch SKSE the game just doesn't launch.

Take them out and it all works fine.

Anyone know what the issue might be?

EDIT: Holy gently caress I'm a moron and somehow downloaded the regular version of both instead of the SE when trying them out :downs:

I know this feeling. I managed to install the 100+ mods in the tucoguide just fine, as well Apocalypse, Ordinator, and a few more mods by the guy who makes those, before accidentally downloading the oldrim version of a mod and being very confused.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm torn right now because I'd really like to try out Apex Legends with some people I'm in a discord with, but it won't install because of various conflicting C++ versions already installed. Pretty sure some of these I had to install for Skyrim mods, so deleting them in order to have Apex install correctly could potentially gently caress up the Skyrim mods I currently have installed.

This C++ poo poo is seriously annoying and I blame EA because it's seriously only ever been an issue with Origin games and I remember having to deal with a bunch of poo poo to get Mass Effect 2 to install properly also.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

DrNutt posted:

I'm torn right now because I'd really like to try out Apex Legends with some people I'm in a discord with, but it won't install because of various conflicting C++ versions already installed. Pretty sure some of these I had to install for Skyrim mods, so deleting them in order to have Apex install correctly could potentially gently caress up the Skyrim mods I currently have installed.

This C++ poo poo is seriously annoying and I blame EA because it's seriously only ever been an issue with Origin games and I remember having to deal with a bunch of poo poo to get Mass Effect 2 to install properly also.

Uninstall away but dude it's not an "EA" thing it's a fundamental program architecture thing. No one's to blame for it.

Just nuke whatever redistributables you have and reinstall from Microsoft. It won't hurt Skyrim because by definition it can't.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Iron Rose posted:

Uninstall away but dude it's not an "EA" thing it's a fundamental program architecture thing. No one's to blame for it.

Just nuke whatever redistributables you have and reinstall from Microsoft. It won't hurt Skyrim because by definition it can't.

I 100% believe you but it's literally only been an issue for me when trying to install games via Origin. Somehow I've installed hundreds of games via Steam and never run into a conflict.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

That's seriously dumb. If EA needs a specific version of a DLL to run they should just put it in the game folder. Or better yet, fix their poo poo

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Clark Nova posted:

That's seriously dumb. If EA needs a specific version of a DLL to run they should just put it in the game folder. Or better yet, fix their poo poo

9 times out of 10 the problem is that I have the actual up to date version of the C++ redistributable installed but the Origin game needs to install some old rear end version, and Windows won't let it happen. So for instance the install of Apex is broken unless I dig through my installed versions of C++ and delete any of the ones that conflict with the ones that Apex needs to install.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrNutt posted:

9 times out of 10 the problem is that I have the actual up to date version of the C++ redistributable installed but the Origin game needs to install some old rear end version, and Windows won't let it happen. So for instance the install of Apex is broken unless I dig through my installed versions of C++ and delete any of the ones that conflict with the ones that Apex needs to install.

Sounds like a good reason not to play that game

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Addamere posted:

Sounds like a good reason not to play that game

But apparently it's real good? :shrug: At least I can try it out on console first I guess.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DrNutt posted:

I think i had a problem like this when i had removed the old file without uninstalling it? I had to track it down, reinstall it then uninstall. It was a huge pain in the rear end but I felt clever when i fixed it so there's that

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Okay NOW I can fully embrace modding Skyrim Special Edition.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
... This isn't the Macho Man Randy Savage dragon mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

With weather effects list and possibly mist effects coming up, ENBs for SSE seem to finally catch up to Oldrim version.