Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanatosian posted:

If you take the 10% pay cut, are you required to get "WELCOME" tattooed across your chest, or can you have it done across your back, instead?

Actually it's "MOM" across the lower back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you take a 10% pay cut but get an extra work from home day and do absolutely nothing, that's 20% less work. Might be worth it! I mean, what are they going to do, fire you?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm sacrificing time for money right now to finish paying off my wife's 6 figure student loans and my 6 figure debts from a failed business. I will always take more money over more free time at least for the next 3 years. Once our only debt is the mortgage I'll switch it up.

Also I have a meeting with one of the managing directors today, hes either going to try and give me management bullshit reasons to stay or sweeten the deal somehow

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh, that's right, I do remember you mentioning something like that a while ago.

In that case, I think you have a pretty easy choice. Go back to the old place. It's not like you're admitting failure. It's a better decision for you and it sounds like they cleaned up some of the reasons you left. More money, significantly less commute, they obvious miss having you around. Sometimes life works out that way.

Interested to hear what you wind up doing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Could they give you a raise and then have the 10% cut kick in a few weeks later?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Just to cover my bases I also reached out to my old (favorite) boss from 2 jobs ago who is now a big shot at the #2 VAR. I told him where I'm at now money wise and he has a position for me so I'm gonna go by next week and see if it's a good fit.

I'm having a lot of anxiety about this whole ordeal but it's more about wanting instant gratification in the form of knowing the future now than being worried about my future

Edit: ^^^^ Ain't no one giving out raises. Its either rate cut and "possibly returning to the normal rate in a few months" or move on

Sepist fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 13, 2019

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
It's like going back to the ex, but imagine you broke up because the ex didn't keep his house clean and wanted kids while you didn't, and in the intervening time he spent six months taking care of his sibling's kids and decided it wasn't for him, and hired a housekeeper who comes by a couple times a week and takes care of the more egregious stuff.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

siggy2021 posted:

I might be tasked with setting up a syslog server and agent for Windows logs soon, specifically our AD server and probably security logs, and it's not something I've really dealt with. For some reason we don't have this set up yet and as part of my goal to get things better here I'm on board. After doing some googling, there are like a million options and I have no idea what's good and what not. I was hoping you goons would have a recommendation.

Free is great, but paying is fine if it's not insane pricing. I don't need any fancy bells and whistles, I just need to hold security logs longer than what I do now.

I use Kiwi Syslog from solarwinds to retain logs from problematic network equipment. It can write to a searchable DB but I haven’t done much with it aside from setting up logging on a router etc. not sure if it’s a bad option for server logging, but I like it.

E: it has a 14 day free trial too. Only like $200 for full version iirc

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 13, 2019

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If you wanna deal with the ELK stack, they have an agent for shipping Windows Event Logs for processing. If you're mostly or all Windows I wouldn't recommend that honestly as it's a hassle. But if you're like us and have 95% Linux with a few Windows machines hanging out it's a good way to shoehorn them into your existing security and monitoring environment.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Docjowles posted:

If you wanna deal with the ELK stack, they have an agent for shipping Windows Event Logs for processing. If you're mostly or all Windows I wouldn't recommend that honestly as it's a hassle. But if you're like us and have 95% Linux with a few Windows machines hanging out it's a good way to shoehorn them into your existing security and monitoring environment.

I didn't find it to be that much of a hassle. Although adding windows event logs to graylog was just a bonus since I was already using it with other sources.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Docjowles posted:

Seconding this, works pretty well (if you only have a few windows machines).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

LochNessMonster posted:

Seconding this, works pretty well (if you only have a few windows machines).

I haven't done it, but even if you have a bunch of Windows machines you want to collect logs on it should possible to forward them all to a collector, then run the beat on the collector to get them all into elasticsearch.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

siggy2021 posted:

I might be tasked with setting up a syslog server and agent for Windows logs soon, specifically our AD server and probably security logs, and it's not something I've really dealt with. For some reason we don't have this set up yet and as part of my goal to get things better here I'm on board. After doing some googling, there are like a million options and I have no idea what's good and what not. I was hoping you goons would have a recommendation.

Free is great, but paying is fine if it's not insane pricing. I don't need any fancy bells and whistles, I just need to hold security logs longer than what I do now.

I setup a Graylog instance as a test for this sort of thing not that long ago and it's not too bad. Only thing is that I had no idea how much storage I would need, which lead to all sorts of issues mostly because I am bad at Linux. But for Windows logging it was easy to get everything setup with ingestion and all that.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Sickening posted:

On-call rotations are such a pain in the rear end for everyone involved. Nobody wants to deal with it from a leadership standpoint. Its one of those things that people will weasel their way out of it over time if you don't audit it. If you don't watch it the pushovers will be the only ones on call. One department with 12 non-management engineers had 2 of them doing on call for the entire month at a time, switching it back and forth every month. When I asked their manager why it was this way his answer was "those two like on call and nobody else volunteered".

I made everyone on call again in IT operations. We have enough people where that coverage will dictate that no individual will be on call more than 3-4 weeks a year per department. What a poo poo show it has been. Every self important idiot wants to give me excuses on why they shouldn't be on call. I haven't made a single exception yet and I don't plan to. They automatically get a comp day if they deal with something off hours, they get a cell phone stipend, and the average incident raised for the on call people is something .3 per on call week.

Haha me and my friend rotate our on call weeks because we can make it so we do 2 weeks on the double the time off call

But no one has dared asked to not do their fair share yet - though it will be interesting if I get the job I’m going for as that will be 2 people off the rota this year - my boss will need to manage that

The facilities team are terrible for what you describe, there are 20 of them so they only need to do 2-3 weeks a year, yet there is about 3 of them that just want all the money / TOIL - creates a big mess

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Speaking of logs, who has experience with Splunk and who likes it?
I got to dig deep at a security conference I went to back in October and I think it's a fantastic tool for assembling all your logs in one easy to search interface.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Fool posted:

I haven't done it, but even if you have a bunch of Windows machines you want to collect logs on it should possible to forward them all to a collector, then run the beat on the collector to get them all into elasticsearch.

I have, it’s pretty easy and works great. The only annoying thing about beats is that elastic keeps changing the config file synthax every few versions.

Not a big hassle, but still annoying.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I got to dig deep at a security conference I went to back in October and I think it's a fantastic tool for assembling all your logs in one easy to search interface.

I prefer the ELK stack for log analytics. Splunk is ok but their licensing model sucks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My SIEM experience has been Splunk, Arcsight, and QRadar, and my favourite interface is probably Splunk but best overall has been QRadar. Arcsight can suck my butt hole.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

mattfl posted:

We have an on-call rotation here. Works out to one week a month, until we hire more people. We get $250 extra and any call we get during after hours, 5pm-7am is paid at time and a half rate and one hour minimum, so it's not too bad.

I also have on-call about one week every month. Hardly ever get any calls and due to Swedish union laws I get paid $700 extra for that week. If I have to go into work at off-hours during the on-call I get paid full overtime from the second I start my trip towards work. I like the deal!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LochNessMonster posted:

Splunk is ok but their licensing model sucks.

I disagree on it being just "ok", but yeah their licensing is for poo poo.

ELK is probably the next best if you don't want to deal with licensing.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Contingency posted:

My last company, we were fairly compensated for on-call--$200-$385 each week you were on rotation, depending on holidays. I got some calls on holiday break because our advanced support team didn't want to deal with the issue during their holiday break, but for an extra ~$6k a year, I gladly put up with it. I had a coworker who wasn't on call who volunteered to be on call 24x7x365 and work everyone's rotation. I'm sure there there are people working 50+ hours that just want to go home, but if people are paid fairly, I'd be surprised if there aren't enough volunteers to work the time of those who don't want it.

The thing is, fair compensation needs to be negotiated. At my current job at a bank, we have to work oncall 2 weeks per month and are supposed to rotate between 8 people. We get paid $140 per week we are oncall + overtime. The problem is our current boss is flagrantly violating labor laws by having us go work the next day after sleeping maybe 3 hours after the last call. My worst week, I ended doing 40 hours of overtime (another violation) and still had to go into work next day. poo poo like this is why people would opt out of oncall in a heartbeat.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like Splunk a lot, but yeah, poo poo is stupidly expensive if you actually want to do anything with it. Their "Light" version, at least a few years ago when we were trying to use it, was significantly different than the full version to the point where looking up how to do things as a new user was awkward. I think they've made it more in-line, though. If I was doing it again I'd take a more careful look at ELK.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

TerryLennox posted:

My worst week, I ended doing 40 hours of overtime (another violation) and still had to go into work next day.

Is the kicker you're salaried so you didn't even get $texas for your time?

edit: Its too early didn't parse correctly

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 14, 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

Is the kicker you're salaried so you didn't even get $texas for your time?

edit: Its too early didn't parse correctly

Also, just be careful thinking salary means you don't get overtime. That's not the case. If you're salaried exempt then you're not eligible for overtime, but that's a specific type of salaried.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 14, 2019

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My boss at my last job converted me from hourly to salaried exempt and justified it by citing some dumb loving labor guideline for IT work. Glad I left that shithole. I was tired of getting called in at 2:00AM to replace a mouse.

Edit: I meant exempt!

Vargatron fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 14, 2019

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
A 2am call to replace a mouse? :suicide:

Good shout on getting out of dodge.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

TerryLennox posted:

The thing is, fair compensation needs to be negotiated. At my current job at a bank, we have to work oncall 2 weeks per month and are supposed to rotate between 8 people. We get paid $140 per week we are oncall + overtime. The problem is our current boss is flagrantly violating labor laws by having us go work the next day after sleeping maybe 3 hours after the last call. My worst week, I ended doing 40 hours of overtime (another violation) and still had to go into work next day. poo poo like this is why people would opt out of oncall in a heartbeat.

Wow, sounds like a terrible place to work. I'm not aware of a federal labor law enforcing downtime between work periods. You may have luck with management if you can cite a specific state regulation, but you'd also likely piss coworkers off if they are forced to take time off instead of coming in.

My current company does not offer on-call pay. During the interview:
"What are the expectations for on-call with my position?"
"How many calls should I expect a month?"
"What reimbursement do you offer for on-call?"
"Do you guys offer flextime if I'm up until 2 AM working on an issue?"

Forewarned is forearmed. If you are unemployed, I understand needing to take whatever you can get. If you already have a job, treat interviewing like a two way street. If on-call expectations are onerous, decline the position, or ask for enough salary to make it worthwhile. Worst case, you aren't hired at a company that treats employees poorly.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
All this talk of on call made me think about how rarely I get any pages when I'm on call. So of course karma hit me in the rear end last night with a 1am page about an important server that was hosed up in vmware because of snapshots and replication. Best part is I didn't have enough perms in Vmware to do anything about it but it eventually worked itself out on its own after an hour!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Old Grasshopper posted:

THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Splunk is awesome until management starts to get pissed at how expensive it's getting. Then you're in the position where everyone is used to the features and usability of splunk, but you have to find a new solution.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION!

"WE HAVE TO HAVE THESE PARTS MEASURED BY FIRST SHIFT THIS IS THE ONLY COMPUTER THAT RUNS THE EQUIPMENT"

I found out at the 8:00AM meeting that the parts were not measured. I may have freaked out.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

quote:

THIS IS EFFECTING PRODUCTION!

Mine were like this, for maximum :rolleyes:.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It's even better when the super important mouse is a wireless one that isn't broken, but they just can't follow instructions to get it working.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I got the old "we need you to provide metrics to determine if we need to backfill the open position" line. Translation "we're not planning on filling the position".

This is a state job. The budget is already approved. There is no justification necessary.

Now I get to manually enter ticket metrics on every little thing and do a monthly report and give it to a non-technical director who has no idea how to interpret the metrics.

Also, I got interrupted during a response with *checks watch* "Oh look at the time, I have to be in another meeting".

I hate meetings with higher ups...

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Met with my old job today about coming back. They cant give me a salary to match my consulting rate but they really want me to come back. They offered to bring my base up a bit compared to when I left, and sales offered to make up the rest by giving me a percentage of gross profit in addition to commissions on for hardware & services I help facilitate.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Old Grasshopper posted:

Back at the ad agency I had an intern call me about their home internet at 11pm. He expected a house call.

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I told him "no" about as politely and respectfully as he treated me in the office. Profanity may have been involved. I didn't have much of a spine back then, but I stared down the CFO the next day when High Expectations Boy complained.

Dumbshit hadn't even called his ISP or power cycled his router. Well, internships are supposed to be learning experiences.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
We're looking into using Cato for some sd-wan type of solution to our vietnam location. Sounds like a way better way of getting QoS for our voice traffic and is about 1/3rd the cost of getting an mpls circuit. Is the poo poo worth it? Is it worth applying to more locations(we have like 35 locations in different areas of the US) and does it give the same reliability? Management is chomping to cut the mpls bill down but i'm skeptical.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Vargatron posted:

I got the old "we need you to provide metrics to determine if we need to backfill the open position" line. Translation "we're not planning on filling the position".

This is a state job. The budget is already approved. There is no justification necessary.

Now I get to manually enter ticket metrics on every little thing and do a monthly report and give it to a non-technical director who has no idea how to interpret the metrics.

Also, I got interrupted during a response with *checks watch* "Oh look at the time, I have to be in another meeting".

I hate meetings with higher ups...

METRICS:
3x SHITLOADS WORK
1 person = 1 SHITLOAD WORK
Current dept. = 2 persons
2 persons = 2 SHITLOADS WORK
3 SHITLOADS WORK - 2 SHITLOADS WORK = 1 SHITLOADS WORK left, = 1 person needed.

You have to spell out the math for educational administrators.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tetramin posted:

We're looking into using Cato for some sd-wan type of solution to our vietnam location. Sounds like a way better way of getting QoS for our voice traffic and is about 1/3rd the cost of getting an mpls circuit. Is the poo poo worth it? Is it worth applying to more locations(we have like 35 locations in different areas of the US) and does it give the same reliability? Management is chomping to cut the mpls bill down but i'm skeptical.

If you just want to try something out without commiting to a vendor then try Azure WAN. You build an IPsec tunnel to the closest Azure region, and then your traffic uses Microsoft's network to get back to you.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 15, 2019

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Vargatron posted:

You couldn't just ask the dude(tte) "hey what is this??".

If that was a miner and I asked the person I was working with I’m pretty sure it would have been gone before I could take it up with my boss.

However that’s not what happened. I spoke with my boss and he was able to verify it was a miner and it belonged to one of our guys. Apparently an old vp/exec who is no longer with company said he could have it at corporate. When I brought it up to my boss, boss told the employee to get it the hell out of the closet. This would have been a fireable offense if the previous vp or whoever hadn’t agreed to it. The end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I'm in a crossroads in my career. I just finished my degree finally and I've found a new job at a good company level 2/3 support more level two then 3 though. There is room for growth but I don't expect anything in the first year.

Which leaves me at a place to question what should I be doing now. What should I studying or working on? My manager is telling me he will help get me into the networks division eventually. Which is good but I've lived long enough I no longer take anyone at their word. Until I see it in writing I'll keep a healthy skepticism. I'm planning on offering to do projects for them so we will see.

My plan now is to spend a year with this company and then reassess every six months and so forth. But in the meantime I could work on other certifications or hell an MBA if I so choose.

I know at this point I need to specialize. I'm aware being a-jack-of-all-trades but master of none will never pay off. I started out being interested in networking in college that's where I have been aiming for a long time. However with virtualization and cloud technologies I'm not so sure anymore. What is the best path I can take and the most valuable for the future? That's what I've been thinking about lately.