Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mister Facetious posted:

My South Korean phone assembled in China using an American OS.

Canada will be the first to fall... :tinfoil:

If it's Canada's telcos that are the first against the wall, sign me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Welcome to The Revolution, comrade. :hfive:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

grack posted:

Multiple countries (not just the US!) have banned the use of Huawei networking hardware due to security concerns. I don't think it's a stretch to think that their phones might have similar issues. Whether or not this actually matters to the average person is something else entirely.

Nitr0 posted:

You must be pretty naive if you believe because there’s no “hard evidence” and your rebuttal is a loving vice article. Huawei absolutely is a branch of the Chinese government. You’d have to be stupid to buy anything from them.

I didn't say that, and I'm not making a claim either way. If you want to go this route, post evidence of the actual security concern. There's a lot of irrational fear and boogeyman arguments that have been circulated for years, that have been amplified with various governments taking action. I'm not okay with spouting unfounded paranoia itt, so nut up or shut up.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So how stupid am I for looking at the Unihertz Atom? Looks like it should work on Virgin.

I just miss small phones, ok? :(

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If you want a ruggedized phone, you should probably look at CAT or older Samsungs (their 'Active' brand, I think).

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I mostly just want something small I can answer calls and text with without T9.

I realize I'm not normal anymore.

I'll take a look though, thanks.

edit V: Maybe I should consider it then. I just never had to deal with it much being an early adopter of qwerty phones so I never got used to it.

odiv fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 31, 2019

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
gently caress I miss T9. So fast with a tactile keypad.

I was giving a disposition and had a side chat with the court stenographer about T9 and she agreed it was the best. Expert opinion!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

If you want a ruggedized phone, you should probably look at CAT or older Samsungs (their 'Active' brand, I think).

Looks like Kyocera are pushing a durable phone too, the DuraForce PRO 2. Can't see it up here yet.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

CLAM DOWN posted:

I didn't say that, and I'm not making a claim either way. If you want to go this route, post evidence of the actual security concern. There's a lot of irrational fear and boogeyman arguments that have been circulated for years, that have been amplified with various governments taking action. I'm not okay with spouting unfounded paranoia itt, so nut up or shut up.

So all that IP stolen means nothing huh. Running Nortel out on stolen tech. What a fine outstanding company on the up and up I say. No wonder they're in bed with telus and bell.

If you are seriously asking for the common man to find proof then you're loving retarded. Use your common sense maybe.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't have time right now to research ZTE, but for Huawei, no it's not?

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/59w49b/huawei-surveillance-no-evidence
https://www.zdnet.com/article/paranoia-will-destroy-you-why-chinese-tech-isnt-spying-on-us/

Either put up hard evidence that spy software has been found in Huawei/ZTE phones on the market and they are "loaded to the brim", or don't post unfounded suspicions/rumours like that.

Counter-point.

Numerous governments have major security concerns - that includes non-US governments. Asking people to present peer reviewed evidence and studies isn't really fair (your own links aren't sourced either), much of it is gathered by foreign intelligence agencies. While I'm willing to accept that the US Government could have other motivations, I'm more skeptical that Poland, New Zealand, the rest of the EU and our own government are just doing this for the sake of...what exactly? Where theres smoke, there is generally fire.

Just so we're clear, are you telling us we are not allowed to discuss this? My brother has a Huawei phone and I don't really care one way or the other but I like to at least be aware and informed about these things.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 1, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Counter-point.

Numerous governments have major security concerns - that includes non-US governments. Asking people to present peer reviewed evidence and studies isn't really fair (your own links aren't sourced either), much of it is gathered by foreign intelligence agencies. While I'm willing to accept that the US Government could have other motivations, I'm more skeptical that Poland, New Zealand, the rest of the EU and our own government are just doing this for the sake of...what exactly? Where theres smoke, there is generally fire.

Just so we're clear, are you telling us we are not allowed to discuss this? My brother has a Huawei phone and I don't really care one way or the other but I like to at least be aware and informed about these things.

It's not applicable to the Canadian Cellular thread nor is it applicable to other threads here discussing technical things. I'm not wanting to read anything about geopolitics here in IYG. Please move this talk to D&D. Here is an appropriate thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763277&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=712 or if you want Huawei-specific subjects, even though this is not exclusive to Huawei, please start a new thread there. Thanks you for asking!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How is it not? This is a thread about Canadian cell plans, devices and other factors affecting us.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

How is it not? This is a thread about Canadian cell plans, devices and other factors affecting us.

Not sure why you felt the need to re-visit this literally 4 days later, but please use D&D for discussions about geopolitics and the controversies surrounding Chinese espionage, etc. The tech thread I linked is a good start. As you said, this thread is for Canadian plans, devices, carriers, etc. Thanks!

I would also be fine if you wanted to start a new thread in IYG for it, provided it doesn't cause any problems, as it's not a Canadian-specific or carrier-specific issue.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Because it was the last post in here but whatever.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Can we bitch about the exchange rate, and how batshit insane phone prices are if you want/have to buy outright?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

512GB unlocked dual SIM Note 9 is actually only $1549, for some reason I thought it was more

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I bought a new S6 off of Newegg that was $50 off MSRP for some reason and it was dual sim, but MMSs were hard limited to 200kb. Couldn't figure out what the gently caress was going on until I brought it to the Samsung store in Richmond Center and they were like "Oh, this is a S.E. Asia model. I don't think there are any North American dual sim models. They limit MMS size there, so you're hosed".

And that was the last time I bought a phone off of Newegg.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And with Apple getting rid of that 3 month 0% interest loan it means I actually have to... save money. :3:

But still insanely expensive.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

lol i tried to sign my 80 year old father in law up for internet with Telus, who he's already a customer with, and they put me on hold for over an hour until I gave up. How do these companies survive.

Meanwhile in my new city (Melbourne) I will get 30 gigs of data, unlimited national talk and text, and 300 international minutes for $35 per month on the biggest carrier. gently caress

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

How do these companies survive.

They're the only game in town. :toughguy:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm not going to take it because I never get close to my cap, but I just got a text from Koodo offering an additional 3GB of data for $10/mo or additional 10GB of data for $15/mo.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Dillbag posted:

I'm not going to take it because I never get close to my cap, but I just got a text from Koodo offering an additional 3GB of data for $10/mo or additional 10GB of data for $15/mo.

Yeah I got the same targeted offer. I'm on Wifi at home and work so its hard to justify. The SK plan is still going strong and I've only ever come close to my cap once when we were in Nashville and did a ton of streaming while we drove around. It seems almost reasonable by Canadian telco standards but I just don't need it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My mom and fiancee keep getting it but the motherfuckers won't offer it to me even though I've referred a dozen people to them Because it would be 4gb or 66% increase in data for $0

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Is sharing what our data plans or regions are not necessary anymore or is this storytime?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm okay with story time, complaining is a Canadian pastime. *sips popular Canadian coffee brand*

Gotta say though, I haven't had any text offers to leave Public Mobile and join Koodo since their 8gb/$50 offer.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I jumped over for the $40 6GB plan. Kinda bit me in the rear end because I ended up in the states for 6 months and instead of having that rad $15/mo roaming plan I had to get a new number with T-Mobile and pay for double coverage.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I never post here, but I need to dump this story about how we're currently getting hosed over by Virgin and maybe someone can help us with what we should do in response.

My husband tried to order a phone from Virgin Mobile online a couple months ago. A delivery attempt was allegedly made on a Monday, a day I was home, but of course there was no knock or doorbell, just a slip stuck to our door stating they would try again the next day. No slip or anything on Tuesday. No instructions on how to pick up the parcel. The hand written tracking number on the slip was "invalid". Fast forward a short time, the tracking number is somehow suddenly valid, and we receive an update that the phone was shipped back to Ontario. Assholes. We figured there would be a follow-up on their end, so we waited. Nothing.

Eventually we followed up, and he was told to call Bell. Why? He did anyway and Bell told him they had nothing to do with it so he had to call Virgin. Again they claimed he had to call Bell. He argued, and the person he spoke to said they couldn't help him and they had to get a higher-up. The higher-up said the phone had been activated and that's why they didn't notice it had been shipped back to Ontario. So we intended to just go to a brick and mortar store to get a phone. They said they were unable to set him up with a phone because he still owed for the other one. Which doesn't make sense because it was shipped back to Ontario and we never received it.

Today he got a call at work saying that if he doesn't pay the $800 remaining on his first phone, which never was ever in our possession, that the bill is going to a collection agency.

Why are we on the hook for this phone? Is he still expected to pay for a second phone if he pays for that one? It's on record that it was never delivered, it's on record as being shipped to Ontario even though it was somehow activated. Did the delivery driver actually steal the phone? Are we being scammed? What do we do?

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 22, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

I never post here, but I need to dump this story about how we're currently getting hosed over by Virgin and maybe someone can help us with what we should do in response.

My husband tried to order a phone from Virgin Mobile online a couple months ago. A delivery attempt was allegedly made on a Monday, a day I was home, but of course there was no knock or doorbell, just a slip stuck to our door stating they would try again the next day. No slip or anything on Tuesday. No instructions on how to pick up the parcel. The hand written tracking number on the slip was "invalid". Fast forward a short time, the tracking number is somehow suddenly valid, and we receive an update that the phone was shipped back to Ontario. Assholes. We figured there would be a follow-up on their end, so we waited. Nothing.

Eventually we followed up, and he was told to call Bell. Why? He did anyway and Bell told him they had nothing to do with it so he had to call Virgin. Again they claimed he had to call Bell. He argued, and the person he spoke to said they couldn't help him and they had to get a higher-up. The higher-up said the phone had been activated and that's why they didn't notice it had been shipped back to Ontario. So we intended to just go to a brick and mortar store to get a phone. They said they were unable to set him up with a phone because he still owed for the other one. Which doesn't make sense because it was shipped back to Ontario and we never received it.

Today he got a call at work saying that if he doesn't pay the $800 remaining on his first phone, which never was ever in our possession, that the bill is going to a collection agency.

Why are we on the hook for this phone? Is he still expected to pay for a second phone if he pays for that one? It's on record that it was never delivered, it's on record as being shipped to Ontario even though it was somehow activated. Did the delivery driver actually steal the phone? Are we being scammed? What do we do?

I doubt anyone here can help you with that. It's very unlikely you're being scammed given you're talking to Bell/Virgin, but there are probably some crossed wires, poor documentation/processes, missed inventory, etc etc. I'm not sure what your options are. Was it shipping via Canada Post? UPS? What does the tracking page say?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Don't bring up shipping issues with retailers. That only works on Amazon and usually helps nobody.

Call up the courier customer service and get them to open an investigation. They will notify Virgin about it and start a process of finding out where fault lies.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I assume you paid by credit card? Just open a dispute and wash your hands of phone ping pong. Give them all the details and they will open an investigation.

Remember: When calling any call center ask for a reference number for the call, and take notes of what is discussed because these companies will try to scam you at every turn.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Also, get an app that records your calls.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR
Speaking of Virgin Mobile, I received an email this past Thursday saying they are going to raise my plan price from 45/month to 50/month this April.

I wish I could tell my boss I was going to increase my salary by 11% with a couple months notice

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

With all this talk of CRTC cracking down on telecom practices, it would be great if they put an end to that poo poo.

Part of the reason I'll stick with the public mobile deal is that they seem to be backed into a corner as far as prices are concerned.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Seconding open a credit card dispute. Tell them you never received the product and had made attempts to resolve it with the merchant but got no help. They usually credit the customer first and the onus will be on the merchant to defend the case. Let Virgin/Bell fight with Visa/MasterCard.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just had the great pleasure of cancelling my $250 Rogers share everything plan and am now on an Aussie plan with 18 gigs of bankable data per month (banks up to 200gb if you don't use it), 22 bonus gigs to start, unlimited everything else including international calls to most developed countries, for $40 a month per person.

When the person said the price I was like "wait is that per week?" Because they do a lot of weekly billing here but no,

Dollarydoos

Per

Month

gently caress Canadian telecoms

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Congrats, those of us in Canada in the Canadian cellular thread don't have that option. We get it, it's better elsewhere.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mail us some data capacity

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Just had the great pleasure of cancelling my $250 Rogers share everything plan and am now on an Aussie plan with 18 gigs of bankable data per month (banks up to 200gb if you don't use it), 22 bonus gigs to start, unlimited everything else including international calls to most developed countries, for $40 a month per person.

When the person said the price I was like "wait is that per week?" Because they do a lot of weekly billing here but no,

Dollarydoos

Per

Month

gently caress Canadian telecoms

OTOH you get like 10mbps Internet, sort of a wash

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Risky Bisquick posted:

OTOH you get like 10mbps Internet, sort of a wash

It varies like in Canada but in the city I've seen 175Mbps down on cellular, and 60Mbps at home on cheap wifi.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Congrats, those of us in Canada in the Canadian cellular thread don't have that option. We get it, it's better elsewhere.

Just wanted to celebrate the end of my indentured servitude to Rogers, will cease bragging immediately.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

CLAM DOWN posted:

Man, a £20 sim card gave me the equivalent of like 3 months of service. And they didn't even require a blood sample!