Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jose posted:

I think this is as true as its possible to get for the thread title

https://twitter.com/yashalevine/status/1096080042193571842

anyone surprised by this doesn't know the history of tor. i mean its right there on wikipedia

quote:

The core principle of Tor, "onion routing", was developed in the mid-1990s by United States Naval Research Laboratory employees, mathematician Paul Syverson, and computer scientists Michael G. Reed and David Goldschlag, with the purpose of protecting U.S. intelligence communications online. Onion routing was further developed by DARPA in 1997.[23][24][25][26][27][28]
The alpha version of Tor, developed by Syverson and computer scientists Roger Dingledine and Nick Mathewson[21] and then called The Onion Routing project, or Tor project, launched on 20 September 2002.[1][29] The first public release occurred a year later.[30] On 13 August 2004, Syverson, Dingledine, and Mathewson presented "Tor: The Second-Generation Onion Router" at the 13th USENIX Security Symposium.[31] In 2004, the Naval Research Laboratory released the code for Tor under a free license, and the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) began funding Dingledine and Mathewson to continue its development.[21]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

wasn't the point of tor to be used to help over throw governments America doesn't like and that many nodes are controlled by us intelligence

Efb

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Tom Guycot posted:

You either drive an uber, pack amazon boxes, or poo poo on your friends rear end. The new economy.

That was my favourite black mirror episode

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Jose posted:

the video appears to have been scrubbed off the internet and the article only has this impression

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
johnny five deuces

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/alexhern/status/1096092781100130304
https://twitter.com/alexhern/status/1096095131164426243

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

another rube gets taken for a ride

"too dangerous to release"" my loving rear end. elon musk is now investing in markov generators

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

the video appears to have been scrubbed off the internet and the article only has this impression

the thread title is more accurate than ever

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
This markov chain is haunting me!!

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Is anyone outside of tech media actually worried about AI? The only people I ever see fretting about it are people who don't understand how machine learning actually works

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

Is anyone outside of tech media actually worried about AI? The only people I ever see fretting about it are people who don't understand how machine learning actually works

there are a lot of big ethical issues in AI but none of them are what the public immediately think of

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

lots of people outside tech media are worried about AI. lots of people outside tech media don’t understand how machine learning works. there is overlap

also, you don’t need to know how ML works to have legitimate, grounded concerns about it. I don’t know how opiates, firearms, or Alzheimer’s work, but I am concerned about the effects of all of them

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

lots of people outside tech media are worried about AI. lots of people outside tech media don’t understand how machine learning works. there is overlap

also, you don’t need to know how ML works to have legitimate, grounded concerns about it. I don’t know how opiates, firearms, or Alzheimer’s work, but I am concerned about the effects of all of them

What concerns do you have about it?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

This is at least an unusual and compelling tech-media take on why you should be scared of unfriendly AI. Because it took over centuries ago.

Dec 26, 2012

Jose posted:

lmfao

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What concerns do you have about it?

I worry about further systematizing bias, opaque decision-making processes, reduction in number or quality of jobs in many fields. (I also work to improve some of those things in my current job.)

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

I worry about further systematizing bias, opaque decision-making processes, reduction in number or quality of jobs in many fields. (I also work to improve some of those things in my current job.)

I see your point. After posting that question I started thinking about mass surveillance and realized I more blame capitalism than technology. That is a bit like I'm saying "guns don't kill people, people kill people" though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm worried some dufus is going to link an AI to drones. It'll target threats to the USA and beeline to the Whitehouse.

I guess AI is okay in my book.

Attn FBI I'm not an AI driven drone plz don't arrest me I'm poor.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I see your point. After posting that question I started thinking about mass surveillance and realized I more blame capitalism than technology. That is a bit like I'm saying "guns don't kill people, people kill people" though.

yeah in a just society robots and AI would be cool as hell and would work for the benefit of all mankind but that’s not happening because capitalists got to them first and are using them to psychologically manipulate us, rake in insane profits, and put literally everyone out of work

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someday we’ll reckon with the fact that AIs are basically the nukes of our time. There’s a tremendous power there, but it’s being deployed in the most cynical, amoral way, destroying the brains of millions in the process.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I believe that nukes are still the nukes or our time

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I'm disappointed or not that the big AI ethical dilemma changed from "what are the ethical ramifications of creating an artificial consciousness" to "everyone is collecting all our data, using neutral networks to market garbage at us and they're also selling that data to everyone else."

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Poniard posted:

wasn't the point of tor to be used to help over throw governments America doesn't like and that many nodes are controlled by us intelligence

It's mainly for protecting US diplomatic traffic but yes, controlling exit nodes is a big plus. As always, though, technological measures cut both ways and if you create a backdoor, it's only a matter of time before everyone, your enemies included, discover and use it. Literally anyone can run exit nodes, it's really cheap if a government wants to do it, and in fact, WikiLeaks was bootstrapped with documents stolen from Tor exit nodes that they ran

Finally: if you run your own private Tor network with a fixed list of nodes and no exit nodes, you can achieve almost perfect security; for example, the internal network WikiLeaks uses to move leaks around is such a private Tor network. And while it's true that, by controlling enough exit nodes, you can deanonymize Tor users, there's no proof that US intelligence can do it easily: witness the pedophile ring that escaped law enforcement for years by rigorous use of Tor, PGP and Usenet (the FBI could only catch the members stupid enough to use VPNs instead of Tor), or the extremely heavy-handed measures necessary to intercept traffic outside of a country's borders

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Kobayashi posted:

Someday we’ll reckon with the fact that AIs are basically the nukes of our time. There’s a tremendous power there, but it’s being deployed in the most cynical, amoral way, destroying the brains of millions in the process.

we must prepare for the possibility that our electric traffic guidance signs will be disabled by a suitcase AI in the hands of terrorists

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Creating a conscious AI is as abusive as bringing another child into this world.

Waiting for the day an AI sues for its personhood and immediately brings abuse charges against its maker.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Outrail posted:

I'm worried some dufus is going to link an AI to drones.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ai software that isn't sapient is just shifting the blame of our systemic biases and misperceptions from faceless bureaucrats to the software engineers. actual sapient ai is just slavery with manufactured people so I'm glad it appears to be impossible

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I don't know if I'm disappointed or not that the big AI ethical dilemma changed from "what are the ethical ramifications of creating an artificial consciousness" to "everyone is collecting all our data, using neutral networks to market garbage at us and they're also selling that data to everyone else."

I've been really into cognitive science and ai since I was a kid and this really depresses me. As far as I can tell no one besides a handful of tenured professors in their 80s is researching artificial consciousness. AI is pretty much solely focused on profitable applications of machine learning now. It's probably for the best because the only thing sentient machines would be used for is guilt free slavery

Even the dangers of the future are poo poo now. It's not "someone built a sentient machine that wants to destroy us" it's just "someone built a neural network that applies pre-existing biases on a mass scale, also sometimes it thinks a pedestrian is a banana"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

turns out that actually creating an artificial consciousness is a lot harder than just cranking a pattern-recognition algorithm up to max sensitivity and feeding it a bunch of open-license images and then marketing the result as "AI"

also, something along these lines happens about once every decade or so

like, you can look at articles from thirty-plus years ago and see more or less the same kind of hype around expert systems, except with fewer theatrics and showmanship because computers weren't really consumer-oriented products back then

AI is a valuable marketing term because it's so entrenched in sci-fi

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I mean it's true. Like yeah it's a glib nra talking point but guns innately don't do anything, just as a computer can't innately do anything. Bad input = bad output.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

turns out that actually creating an artificial consciousness is a lot harder than just cranking a pattern-recognition algorithm up to max sensitivity and feeding it a bunch of open-license images and then marketing the result as "AI"

also, something along these lines happens about once every decade or so

like, you can look at articles from thirty-plus years ago and see more or less the same kind of hype around expert systems, except with fewer theatrics and showmanship because computers weren't really consumer-oriented products back then

AI is a valuable marketing term because it's so entrenched in sci-fi

The expert systems of the 80s were never deployed to billions of people, though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So far as I know, the only fields in which AI use is much of a threat are High Frequency Trading, botnet attacks, and creating a bunch of shallow fake people on social media.

It'll probably be threatening once a significant amount of autonomous cars are out on the streets too, especially with all those dorks who were so overly eager that they jumped at the chance to start trying to put together and incorporate the Trolley Problem into things. So over-eager it's like they wanted to stick a gun in the dashboard to finish the job.

It does bug me a bit how a lot of AI development comes from a purely anti-labor perspective, often to spend a lot of money developing marginally cheaper ways to provide a worse service than what human beings provide like with automated customer service, but that's more of a societal issue than an issue with the technology itself.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SlothfulCobra posted:

So far as I know, the only fields in which AI use is much of a threat are High Frequency Trading, botnet attacks, and creating a bunch of shallow fake people on social media.

It'll probably be threatening once a significant amount of autonomous cars are out on the streets too, especially with all those dorks who were so overly eager that they jumped at the chance to start trying to put together and incorporate the Trolley Problem into things. So over-eager it's like they wanted to stick a gun in the dashboard to finish the job.

It does bug me a bit how a lot of AI development comes from a purely anti-labor perspective, often to spend a lot of money developing marginally cheaper ways to provide a worse service than what human beings provide like with automated customer service, but that's more of a societal issue than an issue with the technology itself.

police departments are right now using ai to decide who to arrest

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Elon Musk is involved, this translates to "We spent all of the research fund smoking weed and think-tanking idea from decades old scifi novels. Totally could have, like, taken over the world and gotten PhDs tho".

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

a think tank with dudes taking fat dabs and talking about ideas from old science fiction books would be a profound improvement over the current think tank system

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Outrail posted:

I'm worried some dufus is going to link an AI to drones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKYNET_(surveillance_program)

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

AI right now at the state level is just a laundering mechanism for racist policing & analysis.

Garbage in garbage out. Having actual data scientists correct for things like biases (racial or just bad data) is expensive and time consuming. More expensive than some "security" tech firm selling you a cool thing you can point at and say "no no no, algorithms aren't racist"

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

a cyberpunk goose posted:

AI right now at the state level is just a laundering mechanism for racist policing & analysis.

Garbage in garbage out. Having actual data scientists correct for things like biases (racial or just bad data) is expensive and time consuming. More expensive than some "security" tech firm selling you a cool thing you can point at and say "no no no, algorithms aren't racist"

I like the AI that determined that the best employees were men named Jared who played high school lacrosse.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

I like the AI that determined that the best employees were men named Jared who played high school lacrosse.

it was right, but the implications of the question were misunderstood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

data driven results babey