Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Harlock posted:

Spiritually it's like Armored Core? The way you have to fight things feels more like an offline MMO with how much HP bosses have.

The boss doesn't actually have a lot of HP, you can just only hurt it in it's weak points. Once you know where those appear and/or where they tie into the boss's patterns, you can clobber it really fast.

Oh it's pretty much mandatory to have the bazooka/grenades or some other strong AoE weapon from the other levels, the default gear is terrrrrrrrrrrrible.

Like the main things are:
- The underside has a ton of weak spots clumped together, so missiles/grenades/bazooka wrecks it super fast. Aim there early on because once the boss drops below like 75/50% life it starts using that shield ability which makes it real hard to get in there safely.

- Each leg has an armor point you blow off to reveal a weak point.

- The main cannon shows the exhaust vents after it fires, again heavily clumped up. Destroying these knocks the gun off the boss, and then you can pick up the gun and use it on the boss yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Crazy that they did a Direct and didn't announce the new Hollow Knight game.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

The Manticore posted:

Looks like they finally fixed Dead Cells, according to the news feed. Anyone able to test it and confirm?

Did they make it fun?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

^burtle posted:

Crazy that they did a Direct and didn't announce the new Hollow Knight game.

Most likely since there is no release window

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Over There posted:

Did they make it fun?

Well they did have a big thing about fixing the fps (fun per second), from ~30 to 60.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Does anyone have opinions on the following games:

2064: Read Only Memories
Uncanny Valley
Cattails
Behind the Screen

They're all on sale and all games that seemed interesting from hearing people mention them and/or the trailers and I want some opinions from people who have played them before I buy.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The boss doesn't actually have a lot of HP, you can just only hurt it in it's weak points. Once you know where those appear and/or where they tie into the boss's patterns, you can clobber it really fast.

Oh it's pretty much mandatory to have the bazooka/grenades or some other strong AoE weapon from the other levels, the default gear is terrrrrrrrrrrrible.

Like the main things are:
- The underside has a ton of weak spots clumped together, so missiles/grenades/bazooka wrecks it super fast. Aim there early on because once the boss drops below like 75/50% life it starts using that shield ability which makes it real hard to get in there safely.

- Each leg has an armor point you blow off to reveal a weak point.

- The main cannon shows the exhaust vents after it fires, again heavily clumped up. Destroying these knocks the gun off the boss, and then you can pick up the gun and use it on the boss yourself.

It still took me a long rear end time fighting the weak points, especially when the only ones left were underneath and it kept jumping or doing its shield attack.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Harlock posted:

Spiritually it's like Armored Core? The way you have to fight things feels more like an offline MMO with how much HP bosses have.

The bosses feel more like an Armored Core version of the G-rank fights in lost planet 2. The big thing is learning the patterns and going for the weak spots, you can dunk on him in about 4 minutes with the right gear and tactics. It's worth replaying the earlier missions to get more toys to play with, there's 5 or 6 different full sets of mech parts, and a buncha weapons that didn't show up for me on the initial couple of run-throughs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No release date for the new Hollow Knight :negative:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Harlock posted:

It still took me a long rear end time fighting the weak points, especially when the only ones left were underneath and it kept jumping or doing its shield attack.

Hitting the underside first definitely seemed like the key to me, unless there's some way to disable the shield I didn't notice. The shield sits out forever and it just wastes your time so I hope they shorten the duration on it for the full game.

I was also geared with a handful of speed boosting parts which probably helped a lot. You pretty much get directly under it and slam it with explosives, and use the radar to follow it's jump/dash immediately and you can keep up with it pretty well.

It is a pretty meaty boss fight but none of the bits have any real amount of health, it's just about breaking it down bit by bit. I bet you could probably knock out the whole underside in one shot with the cannon, might play around with that later today.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Link's Awakening remake looks adorable. Sorta hope they add a thing or two (kinda like how DX added the colour dungeon) just to spice it up a touch.

I want the dungeons to be redone tbh. I really liked link between worlds dungeons and I'd love some new 2d dungeons and puzzles.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Do y'all think Puyo Tetris or Nullpomino would be better for practicing for Tetris 99?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

apophenium posted:

Do y'all think Puyo Tetris or Nullpomino would be better for practicing for Tetris 99?

Tetris 99 is the best practice for it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

apophenium posted:

Like all Battle Royale games, you'll lose at Tetris 99 more than you'll win, especially in the beginning, so if you want to practice at Tetris 99, the best way to do it is to play Tetris 99.

It has some mechanics from other tetris games, but none of them have all of the mechanics that T 99 has.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I just wanna practice openings and t-spin setups in a low pressure environment.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Augus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQxwbZsL14Y
why wasn’t this part of the direct AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:swoon:

This is so much more interesting than anything in that crappy direct yesterday.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Now post the wii u one

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
My first ever Tetris 99 game I got 2nd. Then I got wrecked several times over and was double digits for the next like 10 games.

I've since gotten first, but only the once. But once is good enough for me

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Does anyone have opinions on the following games:

2064: Read Only Memories
Uncanny Valley
Cattails
Behind the Screen

They're all on sale and all games that seemed interesting from hearing people mention them and/or the trailers and I want some opinions from people who have played them before I buy.
Uncanny Valley is terrible and assuming it hasn't been fixed from its original release is hilariously buggy.

It's a choice-driven game programmed so badly that it sometimes showed me the final part of a quest without me ever activating the beginning. The player character sometimes spawns in the wrong part of the room, it sometimes won't load your inventory screen, text boxes appear on top of each other and don't clear properly, the complete wrong animation sometimes plays when you try to do something, etc.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 14, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

apophenium posted:

I just wanna practice openings and t-spin setups in a low pressure environment.

T 99 is free, its literally the perfect practice environment.

Accept that you will lose, as will 97 other people. No pressure

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm sorry but if you were looking for the chill Tetris you wanted Tetris Effect, but take this opportunity to forge your skills in the blood and fire of Tetris 99 and you too may default dance on your enemies.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

New Hollow Knight game? Well poo poo that's all the motivation I needed to finish the game.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

BotW nearly ruined [the zelda franchise]

this was a ways back but what thhe fucke

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I want to see Link ITEM GET a person in high definition

:yeah:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://twitter.com/KevinDDR/status/1095827067499737088

Oh god. :stonk:

TGM mode when? :v:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 14, 2019

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I was having a lot of fun with Hollow Knight until I heard you basically needed godlike skill to get the true actual for real ending as opposed to the weenie ending for babies you get from just beating the game "normally". I was already starting to brush up against content that was on the border of fun and tedious (but still having fun) so I figured I should just quit there if I wanted to remember my time with the game fondly.

I'm assuming the expansion will build atop that difficulty? If so it's a safe pass from me. Game has incomparable atmosphere but i don't have the twitch reflexes for it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Deified Data posted:

I was having a lot of fun with Hollow Knight until I heard you basically needed godlike skill to get the true actual for real ending as opposed to the weenie ending for babies you get from just beating the game "normally". I was already starting to brush up against content that was on the border of fun and tedious (but still having fun) so I figured I should just quit there if I wanted to remember my time with the game fondly.

I'm assuming the expansion will build atop that difficulty? If so it's a safe pass from me. Game has incomparable atmosphere but i don't have the twitch reflexes for it.

It definitely won't.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dude is no joke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CerOCz59qvw

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I'm sorry but if you were looking for the chill Tetris you wanted Tetris Effect, but take this opportunity to forge your skills in the blood and fire of Tetris 99 and you too may default dance on your enemies.

I wish Effect was on something more then just the PS4.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Oxyclean posted:

I wish Effect was on something more then just the PS4.

I played tetris effect during the free weekend and if it makes you feel any better I didnt like how there was too much stuff flashing on the screen, making it hard for my old dusty brain to keep track of what I was looking at. I mean the game was ok but it ultimately felt like a slightly better version of lumines.

Then i tried effect mode where it throws random obstacles in your face while you're trying to just complete some stinking lines. Definitely not a chill experience for me.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Isn't New Leaf still making Nintendo a ton of money? If so, why would they devote resources on a new one until that well runs dry?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Manticore posted:

Looks like they finally fixed Dead Cells, according to the news feed. Anyone able to test it and confirm?

Mine crashes on startup now 100% of the time. So.....

in other news, I deleted it and went to redownload it and it typo'd to Dad Cells, and I would probably play THAT game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Books On Tape posted:

Isn't New Leaf still making Nintendo a ton of money? If so, why would they devote resources on a new one until that well runs dry?

The mobile game (Pocket Camp) might be, but I don't see how a several year old 3DS entry with no extra moneitizaiton is making Nintendo tons of money.

Tons of people have switches and are hungry for a new AC game. It's a total no brainier.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Books On Tape posted:

To get those dollars over towards buying a Switch.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you look at the way the stats menu is set up and everything, I think it's pretty clear that Tetris 99 is a mode from an upcoming Arika Tetris game that's been ripped out to become this free downloadable demo.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some games like AC and certain NSMBs have really long longs, but that doesn't preclude newer ones also selling a ton, especially with the momentum of a successful platform.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Nope. Redownloading did not fix this new error with the new Dead Cells update. I am NOT deleting my save data until I am told that is the only way, sooo.... sitting tight I guess.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Motto posted:

really long longs

They’re called pants!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Edit: Saw Dead Cells post above mine.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Feenix posted:

Nope. Redownloading did not fix this new error with the new Dead Cells update. I am NOT deleting my save data until I am told that is the only way, sooo.... sitting tight I guess.

What's the issue? I haven't played Dead Cells recently.