Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Golli posted:

The attention on influencers, paid sponsorship, and the FTCs enforcement of the rules has also had the weird effect of wanna-be influencers claiming to be paid sponsors of brands in order to up their profile. Which would negate the effect of the rule if adopted universally. If everyone is a paid sponsor of everything, then no one is.

This could also spark some interesting legal battles with actual paid sponsors suing fake paid sponsors (for diluting the value of their influence-peddling - tortious interference), or even companies suing fake sponsors (who are providing free advertising) for damaging their brand image.

It is a strange world we find ourselves end. But the lawyers will be okay regardless.
yeah you can watch the hulu and netflix specials on fyre to get a pretty good idea how the interactions between product makers, marketers and influencers are completely 100% hosed and will be for foreseeable future until stricter laws and regulations are put in place for all 3 of them

it was fascinating and I really recommend watching both of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

TheAgent and Morphix, guys, it's ok, I absolve you both.

Go in peace.

Tug/rub

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

A part of me wants this to not be real. This is good for star citizen.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

TheAgent and Morphix, guys, it's ok, I absolve you both.

Go in peace.

Tug/rub
gently caress that, I'm throwing down. he can fight me in Super Smash for thread dominance

no items, 8 mins, dream land only, random char LETS loving GO

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'd say we can fight in SC but that would probably take like 3 or 4 hours to set up

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
although setting up a tugboat vs tugboat match might get us the attention of chris and the entire SC dev pool

morphix lets amp up and over hype our non existent fight to milk sweet sweet money from these morons

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Popete posted:

It is fitting CIG is selling tug jobs to lonely nerds on Valentines day.

Nailed it.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

TheAgent posted:

although setting up a tugboat vs tugboat match might get us the attention of chris and the entire SC dev pool

morphix lets amp up and over hype our non existent fight to milk sweet sweet money from these morons

Which one of you will play the role of MacGregor and which is Mayweather?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
can we pick people slightly less loving terrible

how about pol pot v torquemada

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

CIG most likely isn't buying subs for this dude, we're talking about a community that spends thousands on concept art for a game that is 5 years overdue and is happy to do it. It's just citizens being citizens, this thread is like Q nuts sometimes.

Twitch is also weird.

Watching a channel I enjoy and some it guy gets drunk and drops 300 gift subs on a channel in one night.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Twitch makes me extremely uncomfortable because it is full of people begging for attention by giving money to people who are "famous" for playing video games. It is like a strip club, but somehow more embarrassing.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Twitch makes me extremely uncomfortable because it is full of people begging for attention by giving money to people who are "famous" for playing video games. It is like a strip club, but somehow more embarrassing.
there's people I know on twitch, "friends for gaming" paterons and cam sites who also do sex work, and by far they prefer the sex work

way less creeps

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If I go to Twitch to watch live gameplay of a game I might be interested in playing I try to find a stream with hardly anyone watching that has no overlays and hopefully no one talking over it. If I can't find that, I jump into a foreign language stream so at least I don't know what banal poo poo is being talked about.

The only Twitch streamers I ever actively watched where the Idle Thumbs podcast guys, Remo playing Rim World was excellent.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Mathias_Nagy/status/1096152915671166981

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

no ring

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

How about the streams where the viewers actually want to see the famous video game streamer strip?

Dog, stay strong, keep your shirt on.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

but why would they just grab some random dude that has no connection to their game when they could get one of their established guys to do it? It's possible sure but I don't buy it.

At a guess, you'd pick the random dude because he's already demonstrated some ability to build and retain an audience across multiple games (from PUBG to CoD or whatever), so you'd potentially be attracting some new money instead of the same sad sacks haunting the dying streams of the established guys. You'd pick the random dude because he'd agree to be relentlessly and shamelessly positive; the established guys have occasionally lapsed and talked about what the game actually is like right now and tried to actually play the game they were given and it might seem weird if they never did again, but the random dude can just go full shill all the time and do nothing but make-believe playground stuff.

And, let's be honest, CIG probably just doesn't like their established guys all that much. If they can afford to look for better options now with their "marketing" stipend, why wouldn't they? It's not like they'd have higher regard for these guys than they do for their other customers.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Nobody cares that a company is paying streamers. Every big variety streamer is getting paid weekly for streaming the latest release and no one makes any bones about it because it's just the twitch ecosystem.

I think the dude just found a niche and exploited it. If you're trying to get in on streaming pubg or the latest fad you are already too far behind but you find a game with a rabid fanbase and the only people streaming it are soulless neckbeards with zero personality you can move in like mr. steal yo views and start making some cash.

:same:

The best thing is he's a goon :ssh:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

but why would they just grab some random dude that has no connection to their game when they could get one of their established guys to do it? It's possible sure but I don't buy it.

Cos they're loving boring

Except WTFOSaurus, he's a sexpest

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I mean it's against the law to pretend you are not being being compensated while advertising.

Having a law and enforcing it are two entirely separate things, especially around the FTC.

Edit: now the IRS is getting real interested; they’ve already hit up youtube and steam for taxable income, and i suspect that instagram is in the crosshairs, but this poo poo is going to get worse before it gets better. Cash in hand is through the loving roof, but it’s unsustainable.

Hav fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 15, 2019

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TheAgent posted:

there's people I know on twitch, "friends for gaming" paterons and cam sites who also do sex work, and by far they prefer the sex work

way less creeps
I've watched a fair amount of camwhores over my life and there's way less entitlement in there definitely.

Except foot fetishists. wtf is wrong with foot fetishists?

I largely find twitch unwatchable though so I'm probably the weird one.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

dieselfruit posted:

Posting for the first time ever in this thread because I can't get over a :reddit: post at the moment titled "If I pick up the 45$ aurora pack, what should I expect?"

Instead of outlining reasonable expectations - expect a fairly lukewarm space game experience tempered by buggy UI, clunky delivery missions, broken AI, and a pervading risk of being rubberised and blown out into space at any given moment - fully half the comments are "Buy a bigger ship". I think it's really telling that the first thing that commandos default to when asked about gameplay is... spend more money, scrub.

Welcome to the show, friend. :)

I suggest buying a bigger boat too because you don't want to be like Roy when he had to pinhole that shot into the sharks mouth to hit the air tank. You want to turn the shark PvP slider to 0 because they are very non consensual.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Remember, the "Hull-E" is a real thing because Chris Roberts said he was making a game, and that there would be a ship called the Hull-E in it, and that makes it 100% real and something you can reference freely to the general public who will absolutely not only know what you're talking about, but also think it's clever to compare an amount of a thing to a thing that carries large amounts of a thing, in a truly humorous and witty fashion to indicate the relative amounts of one thing to another's capacity to hold that thing.

This is cognitive studies in citizens; someone's PhD is in here. Several someones, really.

Further remember that the differences between all the Hull classes was just how much you applied "scale" to the object.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I feel my stilettos quivering and my riding crop twitching between my taut, silk gloved fingertips.

Do we have another financially excited male looking to show off his money spending habits and how he loves to burn money for pleasure?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dementropy posted:

First Place:

Second Place:

Third Place:

The wheels on this thing never stop making me smile. :)

Like I don't even know about cars but even I realize how corny the wheels are on this thing.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheAgent posted:

because those guys are critical of the game and tell people to wait if they expect a polished experience

meanwhile rexzilla is telling people to buy a $750 ship because the wall textures looks really amazing (seriously)

^^^ THIS.

Parts of this are contrived, parts are authentic.

That sub buying frenzy sure looked like whales getting caught up in a group buying mania. And they do it all the time. Somebody who is already $10000 gone on ships isn’t going to think anything about spend a few hundred to gift subs to THE STREAMER WHO IS CHANGING THE NARRATIVE. Nor would a guy who manages Bar Citizen and tweets Star Citizen hype stuff all the time (Jorunn.)

Rexzilla’s original interest in SC looks more suspect. He appeared out of nowhere, his talking points even more extreme than CIG would dare speak officially, and he talks like he’s been deep in the community for years rather than months. His livestream is a nearly non-stop infomercial for Star Citizen (the greatest sci-go experience in gaming 100%”, “if you’re waiting for this to be released as a game you’re doing it wrong — it’s a game, a game that comes with free DLC every quarter”, blah blah.)

He’s a real talent as a showman and running these non-stop group events that occasionally yield great hype edits is the perfect way to activate a mostly disengaged audience of core backers. The old guard streamers don’t take it half as seriously as Rexzilla pretends to and they’ve all dogged on the game after their honeymoon period ended. None of them are pushing viewers to buy $750 ships, they’re sticking to the “all you need is $45 and if you don’t want to do that, wait for a Free Fly.”

That’s not going to cut it in 2019, not as SC development sticks to a snails pace and Squadron is the core focus. Time to get the guy from Mitch & Murray and Always Be Closing. Wonder what else they’ve got coming?

Oh, it’s that time again.

TWITCH.TV: Rexzilla “2x Heartseeker & Cyclone Giveaway”

1500 people watching Star Citizen twitch streams, 1200 of them watching Rex.

“Are you kidding me?! I just saw we’re at 1200 viewers! Booww!”

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Rexzilla continuing to DOMINATE the Star Citizen Twitch streaming.

But don't worry if you don't have his streaming prowess.

You won't be expected to mop the floor of his Idris, BadNewsBaron.

Oh no.

Like SC streamer Sitarow, you can be the waiter when Rex takes Mrs Rex out on a 600i for a romantic evening.

If you're good at that you can be the Head Waiter.

Earn your place, Citizen.

First come doesn't mean first served here.

Git gud.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
I'm the person who has been donating all those subs to Rex, just to piss off the OG streams.

Don't worry, I fully intend on doing a charge back at the end of the month (thanks for the idea, /r/sc_refunds!)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Nicholas posted:

I'm the person who has been donating all those subs to Rex, just to piss off the OG streams.

Don't worry, I fully intend on doing a charge back at the end of the month (thanks for the idea, /r/sc_refunds!)

:ssh:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Female avatars finally moving in the game! Whew! Finally! Check that box off baby!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Aww this one is cute because it has a steering wheel and looks kind of like a tractor with no wheels, and has a weird tiny man inside the motor grill. :3:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Space ship inspired love candies make me want to rub somebody's stinger until it runs out of money.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Aww this one is cute because it has a steering wheel and looks kind of like a tractor with no wheels, and has a weird tiny man inside the motor grill. :3:

:getout:

There are no :females: allowed in the verse :colbert:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Chances are these guys already got paid and what they did was mediocre at best.

This new guy was probably given a ton of money and promised he'd raise the scales to 11. It's just those other guys faults for not being fully engaged when they had the opportunity.

If not use them either if they didn't bring in the numbers I expected, or keep them on the payroll they're on currently but add in a new guy to shake it up. Maybe tell them "this could be you if you bring it up!"

That's why one of those guys is trying to buy views every Wednesday or whatever. Got to compete, got to prove to the boss you deserve a bonus or raise or something.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

The Titanic posted:

Chances are these guys already got paid and what they did was mediocre at best.

This new guy was probably given a ton of money and promised he'd raise the scales to 11. It's just those other guys faults for not being fully engaged when they had the opportunity.

If not use them either if they didn't bring in the numbers I expected, or keep them on the payroll they're on currently but add in a new guy to shake it up. Maybe tell them "this could be you if you bring it up!"

That's why one of those guys is trying to buy views every Wednesday or whatever. Got to compete, got to prove to the boss you deserve a bonus or raise or something.

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1095906068356579328
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1095906477406126080
https://twitter.com/RichyMcRichface/status/1096146321923223553
https://twitter.com/gbatuyong/status/1096068842420285440
https://twitter.com/DericOBrown/status/1095935134497472512
https://twitter.com/Grim_Rico/status/1095936047127515136
https://twitter.com/SylviaReneeLand/status/1096048562419437571

His ZDF org is 72 days old.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Somebody inform the artist this should be two men looking lovingly at each other. This isn't cannon for the real Star Citizen experience.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

TOGETHER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Quavers posted:

:getout:

There are no :females: allowed in the verse :colbert:

Don't be upset because it takes multiple space tugs to lift my soaked vagina from the depths of space hell and you're only man enough to buy only one of them! :sureboat: