Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

mystes posted:

You might be the only person who has ever said this. Also there might be libraries for using it that don't require windows and don't completely suck now, but that wasn't the case when the format was first created.

there have been decent libs for xlsx for ages now. then again there were already decent libs for xls. don’t ask me how I know I’ve nearly stopped having flashbacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2019-5736 posted:

runc through 1.0-rc6, as used in Docker before 18.09.2 and other products, allows attackers to overwrite the host runc binary (and consequently obtain host root access) by leveraging the ability to execute a command as root within one of these types of containers: (1) a new container with an attacker-controlled image, or (2) an existing container, to which the attacker previously had write access, that can be attached with docker exec. This occurs because of file-descriptor mishandling, related to /proc/self/exe.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

there have been decent libs for xlsx for ages now. then again there were already decent libs for xls. don’t ask me how I know I’ve nearly stopped having flashbacks

doing doc/xls thru com automation sucks balls but docx/xlsx is gr8 cause its just xml.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my last company managed documents for companies that were very upset if everything wasn't pixel-perfect so we found all the fun ways that powerpoint and word implement microsoft's own loving standard wrong or different from how everyone else (including the microsoft-supplied .NET libraries) does. the way the system worked for customers that needed that precision was basically to hook into office itself on an imaginary desktop running on a pool of VM's (with the right printer settings, because what printer you have set as your default changes how the thing renders!!!) and then use a combination of code and macros to do the thing we needed.

pdf has a lot of problems too but at least it doesn't magically render wrong because the person who sent you the file had a different printer

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Printers are what daemons become if they are very good at their job.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Jenny Agutter posted:

I used a raspi for a wireless printer server and since windows 10 dropped samba1 support everything gets printed from my iphone. airprint is so good

in the mid 2000s my linux laptop may not have had a usable 3D graphics driver or the ability to play more than one sound file at a time, but it sure as hell could talk over CUPS to my school's network printers. it also allowed me to prank my friends who lived in the dorms and had inadvertently turned on printer sharing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.euronews.com/2019/02/13/switzerland-offers-cash-to-hackers-who-can-crack-its-e-voting-system this is pretty cool

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lutha Mahtin posted:

in the mid 2000s my linux laptop may not have had a usable 3D graphics driver or the ability to play more than one sound file at a time, but it sure as hell could talk over CUPS to my school's network printers. it also allowed me to prank my friends who lived in the dorms and had inadvertently turned on printer sharing

depending on who made the 3d chip it had it might now support 3d graphics so that's some good news for you

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Shame Boy posted:

hook into office itself on an imaginary desktop running on a pool of VM's

ooxml was ostensibly released to stop people from doing that, which has never been an officially supported way to use office [of course I, too, have driven word through its ole api to programmatically generate documents. for fun. from windows scripting host]

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

my last company managed documents for companies that were very upset if everything wasn't pixel-perfect so we found all the fun ways that powerpoint and word implement microsoft's own loving standard wrong or different from how everyone else (including the microsoft-supplied .NET libraries) does. the way the system worked for customers that needed that precision was basically to hook into office itself on an imaginary desktop running on a pool of VM's (with the right printer settings, because what printer you have set as your default changes how the thing renders!!!) and then use a combination of code and macros to do the thing we needed.

pdf has a lot of problems too but at least it doesn't magically render wrong because the person who sent you the file had a different printer
this is really office in a nutshell

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Soricidus posted:

wouldn't say they're decent

you can create a spreadsheet and insert cell values, but good luck doing anything complicated

better than COM though.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

The NetOffice library was ok a few years ago to handle all the COM stuff, but we weren't doing anything super precise

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

~Coxy posted:

wouldn't say they're decent

you can create a spreadsheet and insert cell values, but good luck doing anything complicated

better than COM though.

if you want to do something complicated then you should be doing it in the real programming language you’re clearly already using.

excel libraries are for input and output where customers really want to use excel, or where you really just want csv but you know it will only ever be loaded into excel and you want to avoid all the pitfalls of csv imports

for these purposes, the existing libraries are surprisingly good

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

just do it in a macro, duh

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

if you want to do something complicated then you should be doing it in the real programming language you’re clearly already using.

excel libraries are for input and output where customers really want to use excel, or where you really just want csv but you know it will only ever be loaded into excel and you want to avoid all the pitfalls of csv imports

for these purposes, the existing libraries are surprisingly good

either way *outputting* working xslx for your exact purposes is not very difficult (in fact just putting the skeleton of the thing together in excel, saving, and then generalizing from that is straightforward enough), the issue with the format being complicated only really shows up if you want to interpret arbitrary files, but there's really only like two projects that need to do this (openoffice and office itself)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hackbunny posted:

ooxml was ostensibly released to stop people from doing that, which has never been an officially supported way to use office [of course I, too, have driven word through its ole api to programmatically generate documents. for fun. from windows scripting host]

hackbunny.txt

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

not sure if posted before but holy wow

https://www.cnet.com/news/chinese-facial-recognition-company-left-database-of-peoples-location-exposed/

https://twitter.com/0xDUDE/status/1095702540463820800

(thread)

https://twitter.com/0xDUDE/status/1096099456922148864

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/andreasdotorg/status/1096368790407917568

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

... why is that thing translating javascript into C++ :ohdear:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

welcome to Nu Earth

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Shame Boy posted:

it's a joke, op. they mean adobe looked at what the javascript poc did, and developed a fix for that one specific poc and not the root issue, as if they machine-translated the javascript to c++

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the C++ is decompiled

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
we've got a genius in the sec help thread

Carbon dioxide posted:

I think it's nonsense to assume all VPN providers are unsafe.

A lot of the bigger ones have gotten external audits and yes, it turns out they actually don't log poo poo.

Also, even if they log stuff, does it matter whether it's your ISP logging things or some foreign company? I'd rather have it be the latter, because they at least can't be ordered around by *my* government.

For me, the main reason for using a VPN is so that websites I visit don't know where I'm from, because they have no right to that information. On top of that, it allows me to visit websites that are otherwise unavailable because of location-based blocking.

If you're looking for a VPN I suggest starting here: https://thebestvpn.com/

I'm using ExpressVPN now. They're a bit expensive compared to some others but what's nice is that they have a test kit to see if all your data goes through the VPN and actual humans you can talk to if you can't figure it out. There's a bunch of gotchas, such as that normally DNS traffic (the bit of the internet that when you type in 'somethingawful.com' figures out where the server for somethingawful.com is actually located) and ipv6 (new internet protocol standard) traffic go over a plain connection, skipping your VPN entirely. That means websites still can figure out where you're from. The better VPN providers such as ExpressVPN actively help you prevent that.
Tbf I think Nord is a bit lacking in that regard.

:allears:

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 16, 2019

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
he's probably not even doing anything prosecuteable, just downloading movies and gameslinux isos and the vpn is just a costly placebo

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

no, logs

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ymgve posted:

he's probably not even doing anything prosecuteable, just downloading movies and gameslinux isos and the vpn is just a costly placebo

Actually one of the uses of my VPN is to visit American news sites that have started to block me because they don't agree with EU privacy laws. If you can tell me how I can access those without a VPN please let me know.

Like, half of the news links that're posted here on SA are unavailable to me without use of a VPN, and I like to keep informed.

Another important one is to give the ad companies - even if they managed to get through my tracking blocker - a harder time. I know the effect is minimal but every bit is better than nothing.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Actually one of the uses of my VPN is to visit American news sites that have started to block me because they don't agree with EU privacy laws. If you can tell me how I can access those without a VPN please let me know.

Like, half of the news links that're posted here on SA are unavailable to me without use of a VPN, and I like to keep informed.

Another important one is to give the ad companies - even if they managed to get through my tracking blocker - a harder time. I know the effect is minimal but every bit is better than nothing.

using vpns to get around region blocks that don't care about vpns is fine and great

it's just not on its own going to protect you from the law or an oppressive government; people who expect it will are being secfucks

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

fisting by many posted:

using vpns to get around region blocks that don't care about vpns is fine and great

it's just not on its own going to protect you from the law or an oppressive government; people who expect it will are being secfucks

Fully agreed.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i'm glad you're happy with your threat model, but understand that it isn't everyone else's threat model. that you've accepted the known flaws if you're plan doesn't mean you've handled every flaw, and certainly doesn't make a single thing you've said productive to everyone else. it's actively harmful to other people's security if you're going around pushing solutions with zero understanding of their situation.

as a general rule you're just shifting your endpoint, that changes nothing on your use of the network with all the identifiers that comes along with that. it also changes very little on what gov/companies can get on you - depending on your locale it actually increases it as your local protections vanish.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you're just trying to get around sites that block European IPs because of GPRD or trying to protect your data over public wifi hotspots, you're probably better off just using algo to setup your own VPN on a VM on digitalocean or something.

Theoretically these dubious vpn services provide additional privacy by sharing IPs, but for normal uses normal uses this isn't going to matter unless you are extremely careful about clearing your cookies and never log into anything (and even then it won't be effectively against anything except the most casual attempts to collect data for advertising because there are so many techniques for browser fingerprinting), which I guess leaves people who hope that it will protect them when they download :filez: or something (which it probably won't).

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

for context in your example there goes all data protections GDPR offer you, for the low low cost of you paying for it

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is it NPR where they say "Sorry, due to EU privacy laws you can't view our regular site" and then... offer you a link to the same article on their text-only site instead, which loads instantaneously and has no content on it other than the text of the article and is a hundred times better than any other current news site?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

for context in your example there goes all data protections GDPR offer you, for the low low cost of you paying for it
This is a reasonable point but I think the people trying to use VPNs to access sites that block European IPs aren't the same people who are using VPNs for (supposed) privacy.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Doom Mathematic posted:

Is it NPR where they say "Sorry, due to EU privacy laws you can't view our regular site" and then... offer you a link to the same article on their text-only site instead, which loads instantaneously and has no content on it other than the text of the article and is a hundred times better than any other current news site?
Those are the better ones. There's also the ones that throw a HTTP 451 and call it a day.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i'm glad you're happy with your threat model, but understand that it isn't everyone else's threat model.
That is a good point I hadn't considered.

On the other hand, Lain Iwakura just posting a couple times "VPN services are trash don't use them" without any sort of context isn't helpful to that thread at all and has only raised more questions. I would appreciate it if you or anyone else who can explain it well would make a seriouspost in that thread explaining WHY they are bad for many usecases.

mystes posted:

If you're just trying to get around sites that block European IPs because of GPRD or trying to protect your data over public wifi hotspots, you're probably better off just using algo to setup your own VPN on a VM on digitalocean or something.

Hmm, that's an idea worth considering.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I use a VPN to make websites serve me their GDPR version and for my torrents even though companies are too tight pursed to pay $7 to serve me a copyright notice.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Doom Mathematic posted:

the sad thing about https://text.npr.org/ is that they could've spent slightly more effort and used the appropriate HTML tags instead of <p> everywhere and gotten so much more structure and formatting for free

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pseudorandom name posted:

the sad thing about https://text.npr.org/ is that they could've spent slightly more effort and used the appropriate HTML tags instead of <p> everywhere and gotten so much more structure and formatting for free

v<p>n

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

Theoretically these dubious vpn services provide additional privacy by sharing IPs, but for normal uses normal uses this isn't going to matter unless you are extremely careful about clearing your cookies and never log into anything (and even then it won't be effectively against anything except the most casual attempts to collect data for advertising because there are so many techniques for browser fingerprinting), which I guess leaves people who hope that it will protect them when they download :filez: or something (which it probably won't).

these vpn services are cheaper and easier than setting up your own vpn on some hosting provider. wrt filez, the reporting to isps is 100% automated now so its scrape tracker, send ip to isp, isp blocks you. theres no real human intervention beyond maybe finding the torrent in the first place. content owners aren't gonna bother with trying to sue you anymore, but they'll use your isp against you.

of course a vpn isn't gonna protect you from the government, but nothing will.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

this is nonsense

a European citizen can still sue over their real data being misused, and it's not like not using the VPN would make them be all "wow we're going to give you extra protection"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

good luck trying to get someone to argue with you over implicit vs explicit protections