Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Adept Nightingale posted:

Yeah, not real impressed with that myself. I'm not a fan, I'm just most interested in tarring the people who still have authority in the industry that are trying to play this off. and there are lots of them.

And I get that. But I think it's important to recognize that, going back to 2017 and the Mentzer thread, Holden has kept saying "this isn't the time, focus on the people who are hurting." If now isn't the time to talk about these things, when is?

People can be mad at Zak and Mearls AND Lindroos and Suleiman AND Holden and Morke. Get this poo poo out in the open. Don't keep kicking it down the line until the wave has passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Darwinism posted:

I guess my point is that we absolutely have to stop having sympathy for doubting allegations against close people, because the real actual world has proven time and again that abusers don't abuse everyone they interact with so them not abusing you should have no bearing. And further, if you fall for that kind of thinking and then keep to associate with the person because they're just such nice people, have they reformed eh who cares hey everyone contribute to their financial success! then maaaaaybe you aren't an ally of any type even if you go on Twitter and yell at other people for doing bad things.

This is well put, and I appreciate it. I hadn't seen that tweet boosting Morke before it was posted here, should have looked more closely at it before I replied.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Lumbermouth posted:

And I get that. But I think it's important to recognize that, going back to 2017 and the Mentzer thread, Holden has kept saying "this isn't the time, focus on the people who are hurting." If now isn't the time to talk about these things, when is?

People can be mad at Zak and Mearls AND Lindroos and Suleiman AND Holden and Morke. Get this poo poo out in the open. Don't keep kicking it down the line until the wave has passed.

The more people insist we don't talk about this poo poo right now is the reason this poo poo keeps happening.

Drive every one of those scum fucks out of the industry and directly into a woodchipper.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Lumbermouth posted:

I feel like I need a glossary of who these people are? I now know who Zak S is, but who are all these other cast of characters?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

C.A. Suleiman was a sexual harasser employed by Green Ronin, owned in part by Nicole Lindroos, who promised a "timeline" that would explain why she defended him and attacked his victims as lying up until it was no longer viable to do so. ...over a year ago. It still hasn't shown up.

Holden and Morke: read the last page or two.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Mearls is the lead for D&D 5E, who invited Zak and noted fascist RPGPundit on as consultants. When people were understandably outraged, he solicited reports on their conduct to "investigate". Except he didn't actually investigate, but instead forwarded much if not all of them (intended to be read in confidence) to the shitheads themselves.

Suleiman is Colin Suleiman/CAS from Green Ronin. He was notable for sexual harassment, related awful grooming of women, and targeting women in preparation for that. When his odious deeds came out he gave a non-apology, and his boss Lindroos insisted that at some later date she'd give a timeline exonerating CAS of any misdeeds. Said timeline has still not appeared and any mention of it to them tends to get you blocked.

John Mørke had a similar stream of misdeeds to CAS over the years before he and his pal Holden Shearer got punted from working on Exalted 3E because they were trying to hold the project hostage to their own whims. (I recently discovered that someone I know in person was targeted by him, which makes the whole deal extra gross.) To this day Holden will still keep either defending Mørke directly or at least downplaying his prior actions, as noted above. At this point he deserves all the credibility of the Daily Mail, ie you'd seek independent verification if he claimed that the sky was blue.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 14, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Well, we should probably talk with Lowtax then, given that apparently NunsWithGuns was ripped off by the site without anything to show for it. I can at least confirm that I never made any purchases after the recent ban, and largely slept through my last probe. It's also possible that NunsWithGuns put in something NSFW or genuinely dangerous in the avatar, and a mod removed it before anyone noticed but I think they're more sensible than that.
You're a huge weirdo, Nuns just bought the avatar right as the site went down yesterday. It's just a weird coincidence, and it's easy for the admins to fix. We already chatted by PM. You need to chill like a lot.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I'm sure Zak used to be better at this, like really infuriating to argue with, but he's being really bad this time, maybe because he's having to do it on twitter, as he's banned everywhere else, and can't do his normal gish gallop bullshit.

Also as the two women defending him are posting, he's going quiet. Now i'm not saying he's outright sockpuppeting, but i'll not be surprised if he's trying to coordinate their responses.

PST fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 14, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Keep in mind that Suleiman's history of harassment was enough to have him banned from the Horror Writers Association-related events. Green Ronin said they removed him from the one project he was working with them on, but he still shows up in their social media discussions to chat with them. He also "somehow" got a hold of a Green Ronin contact list they created during a talent search for female and non-binary creators. They claim he was never in charge of the talent search but he contacted/creeped on some people on the list.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
It was pretty easy to get duped by Zak if you were even remotely inclined to take what he says in good faith

He obsessively (obsessively) compiles any data that makes him look sympathetic and had plenty of supporters in the LGBTQ community, among women and people of color, etc

Zak's personal life outside the internet seemed clean at a glance because the people around him were sheltering him. Mandy was with him for more than ten years before she came out about what he was doing. The dude is an expert at pulling the wool over people's eyes.

I donated $25 to rainn and I'll donate another $25 on payday. I don't know what the gently caress to do with Maze of the Blue Medusa. Burn it?

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 14, 2019

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

You're a huge weirdo, Nuns just bought the avatar right as the site went down yesterday. It's just a weird coincidence, and it's easy for the admins to fix. We already chatted by PM. You need to chill like a lot.

I'm not saying you guys stole Nuns's money, just that the site is prone to loving up and doing weird poo poo with people's money and accounts, and like you said, it has in fact hosed up. Good on you if you guys can sort this out, but it's not like weird bullshit going on with how the site is working has become less common as time goes on. Best of luck.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Bedlamdan posted:

I'm not saying you guys stole Nuns's money, just that the site is prone to loving up and doing weird poo poo with people's money and accounts, and like you said, it has in fact hosed up. Good on you if you guys can sort this out, but it's not like weird bullshit going on with how the site is working has become less common as time goes on. Best of luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAqsU-BY58w

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Bedlamdan posted:

Shut the gently caress up

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

guys

what if bedladman...

is zak??!!? ?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Shardix posted:

Shut the gently caress up

Oh uh, my bad, SA acting like the equivalent of a vending machine that just eats your dollar without giving you your chips so you have to write a letter to the company is in fact, good, and cool, and furthermore Lowtax can use the n-word if he wants. Thanks goons.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

guys

what if bedladman...

is zak??!!? ?
Didn't Zak post here as Zak S at some point? Or was that RPG.net? 2012 was a long time ago, which is when I think it would have happened.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

Didn't Zak post here as Zak S at some point? Or was that RPG.net? 2012 was a long time ago, which is when I think it would have happened.

He definitely had an account that was obviously him at some point, It was ZakS Or something like that

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FactsAreUseless posted:

Zak posted both here and at RPGnet.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FactsAreUseless posted:

He has a ton of posts in the goldmined original Grognards.TXT thread.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Yeah, I mentioned it a few pages ago and people were :catstare:ing at all the times where "Mandy" made a quip he "shared" in the post.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yes, he posted exclusively in the big grognards.txt thread that's been goldmined, so you can find all his posts here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3098558&userid=185243

e- And keep in mind he definitely has an alt or two he lurks here with so he can read our posts and repost them to his website.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Oh uh, my bad, SA acting like the equivalent of a vending machine that just eats your dollar without giving you your chips so you have to write a letter to the company is in fact, good, and cool, and furthermore Lowtax can use the n-word if he wants. Thanks goons.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Well congratulations, you got yourself probated. Now what's the next step on your master plan?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Well congratulations, you got yourself probated. Now what's the next step on your master plan?

*wearing a cartoonish swami turban and holding an envelope to my head*

waiting 3 days and doing the exact same poo poo over and over again

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Well this just made my day

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

PST posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyPK_hDsMB4

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/14/hacker-strikes-again/

Roll20 had 4 million profiles worth of data stolen.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Plutonis posted:

Ouch. Fantasy Grounds looking better all of a sudden.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rhandhali posted:

Ouch. Fantasy Grounds looking better all of a sudden.

I wouldn't bet on that.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

PST posted:

:yeshaha:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Here's their preliminary statement:
https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7209691/roll20-security-breach

quote:

3:42PM (31 minutes ago)
Steve K. Roll20 Team
Permalink Quote
Earlier today, Roll20 was named in a report as one of several victims of an attack by cybercriminals. While we can confirm a breach did occur, we are currently focused on finding out all the facts. For now, it’s important to note the report makes clear that no financial data was included in the breach.

Our security teams work tirelessly to fix potential weaknesses in our systems, and we take seriously our responsibility to safeguard our users’ personal information.

Here’s how we do that:

Roll20 only maintains the following personal information: users’ name, email address, hashed password, last login IP and time of login, and the last 4 credit card digits.

We use Stripe and PayPal to process transactions; all billing information is handled by them and never touches our servers.

We utilize bcrypt for password hashing, which means that it cannot be reverse-engineered for utilization with other sites or to access Roll20.

We know it’s frustrating to not have all the facts, and we’re working to uncover the full extent of this breach. We will be continuously updating our members with information as our investigation continues.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Here's their preliminary statement:

As a general point, they're not saying when they knew there was a breach

And if they knew a while ago, and didn't admit to it then, there's a good chance they're hosed, I mean, they're automatically a little bit screwed, but if they knew in advance, and didn't notify customers, and that announcement is very obfuscated as to when they knew, then they're really hosed. As is every other company on that list. Sure it might not be the full 4% turnover or 20 million, but they're looking to affix measureable fines going forwards.

I was in a meeting with some EU legislators recently which discussed gdpr (brexit-related) and they're not messing around in fully intending to escalate, there's been a 'get your house in order' lax approach, but that ended a while ago.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

PST posted:

Nice.
Can you just look at people's patreon incomes, or did Zack post this? I tried to look him up on Grapheon and it says not found (Searching both "Zack Smith" and "Demon City")

E: Apaprnetly "Demon City" doesn't work, but "DemonCity" makes him show up as "Zack Smith (DemonCity)"
so, I guess Grapheon just has a crappy search algorithym.

E2: It looks like the dive started Saturday (the 9th)

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 15, 2019

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

quote:

We utilize bcrypt for password hashing, which means that it cannot be reverse-engineered for utilization with other sites or to access Roll20.

this.... sounds like bullshit

PST
Jul 5, 2012

The WotC former cust-serv team lead who'd posted about how Mearls was out of line has said a little more.

https://twitter.com/XPMatthewLee/status/1096194624220250114

I hope this doesn't get dropped as it's increasingly looking like he deceived his bosses and went outside normal SOP at the time, and quite possibly has done the same now.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

No, bcrypt is recognized as being pretty secure.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Mirthless posted:

this.... sounds like bullshit

It's really not. A hashing algorithm is a one-way function; it takes an input of any length and outputs a fixed length output. For example, the SHA1 hash of the Bee Movie script is bbc87410cd9a06c6fae1478e70940ad1ff2b4f42.

The key is that you can't go from that hash back to the original. The only way to recover the original text given a target hash value is to generate possible input texts, run the hashing algorithm, and see if the output matches your target. This makes it ideal for securing passwords; you can take the value the user gave you, run it through the algorithm, and see if the outputs match, but an attacker can't recover the password except by running a huge number of candidates through the algorithm.

The problem (actually one of many problems) with using something like SHA1 for passwords, though, is that it's designed to be super fast. What you want is something that's actually kind of slow, such that the lag for processing a user's password is tolerable, but the lag from running the entire dictionary through it would be too much to be worth bothering with. That's what bcrypt is for.

Edit: I should note that bcrypt was state of the art like a decade and a half ago. Even better algorithms for protecting passwords have been developed, attacked, and strengthed in the time since. If you need to implement password security for an actual app, please consult a source which goes into more detail than this post.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 15, 2019

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The best part of that article is where 40 million records were taken from a streaming site which apparently stored the passwords in plain text.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

It's incredibly heartening to see Zak trying all the same bullshit tricks that he used to use to avoid accountability, only to find that no one is having any of it.

"Look, I have this big long message from one of the I Hit It With My Axe ladies who told me out of the blue that says Mandy is a liar and that I am cool. No you can't talk to her, she protected her account and also she lives in Canada and doesn't have a phone 'cause her dad is mean."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

atholbrose posted:

The best part of that article is where 40 million records were taken from a streaming site which apparently stored the passwords in plain text.

that one absolutely blew me away

i started screaming out loud, how in the gently caress can a business get that large and do something that stupid with user data?

inklesspen posted:

It's really not. A hashing algorithm is a one-way function; it takes an input of any length and outputs a fixed length output. For example, the SHA1 hash of the Bee Movie script is bbc87410cd9a06c6fae1478e70940ad1ff2b4f42.

The key is that you can't go from that hash back to the original. The only way to recover the original text given a target hash value is to generate possible input texts, run the hashing algorithm, and see if the output matches your target. This makes it ideal for securing passwords; you can take the value the user gave you, run it through the algorithm, and see if the outputs match, but an attacker can't recover the password except by running a huge number of candidates through the algorithm.

The problem (actually one of many problems) with using something like SHA1 for passwords, though, is that it's designed to be super fast. What you want is something that's actually kind of slow, such that the lag for processing a user's password is tolerable, but the lag from running the entire dictionary through it would be too much to be worth bothering with. That's what bcrypt is for.

Edit: I should note that bcrypt was state of the art like a decade and a half ago. Even better algorithms for protecting passwords have been developed, attacked, and strengthed in the time since. If you need to implement password security for an actual app, please consult a source which goes into more detail than this post.

Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it! Makes me feel a little better at least.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you guys are interested, check https://haveibeenpwned.com/

In addition to the extremely useful password and email address checking tools he has up there, you can read his blog posts laying out in pretty easily digestible chunks how these security mechanisms work.

Meanwhile, you'll almost definitely find out that the passwords you've been using for years are all in various dictionaries, and you need to switch passwords.

inklesspen posted:

Just to add to this that "salting" passwords as they're stored is a way to mitigate the dictionary and rainbow attack vulnerabilities; and it's been standard enough for long enough that it's inexcusable for any company not to be salting their stored-as-hashed password tables.

In the case of Roll20, there's not a lot of detail in the articles already linked, but it's likely that what happened is the various people who monitor what new password databases are showing up on the "dark web" noticed a new one claiming to be from Roll20, and informed them they had been compromised while composing the article, which they then published. It's possible they've known for months, of course... but that's a leap to a conclusion that is so far just pure speculation based on other companies' bad behavior.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Lumbermouth posted:

It's incredibly heartening to see Zak trying all the same bullshit tricks that he used to use to avoid accountability, only to find that no one is having any of it.

"Look, I have this big long message from one of the I Hit It With My Axe ladies who told me out of the blue that says Mandy is a liar and that I am cool. No you can't talk to her, she protected her account and also she lives in Canada and doesn't have a phone 'cause her dad is mean."

Despite the revelation about "Mandy's" past posts, it doesn't seem cool to un-person someone even when they're being lovely.