Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

Joey Styles felt very, very different in an era dominated by announcers who often acted like they'd rather talk about anything except the match happening in front of them. Like, my main recollection of WWF announcing from this time was Lawler screeching PUPPIES over and over until I wanted to die.

Oh, trust me, I know he's still better than that disgusting piece of poo poo Lawler, I just never got the appeal of Styles. He sounded more like an overexcited sixteen year old calling the match, just without the misogyny and homophobia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I loved him at the time but his act has aged about as poorly as most of ECW did. But he was real good at calling moves.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
By the way, isn't it loving weird that Lawler was hired right after the Ring Boy Scandal died down? Didn't he already have at least one allegation against him at the time?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I appreciate backyard fed announcers all trying to be Joey Styles

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Oh, trust me, I know he's still better than that disgusting piece of poo poo Lawler, I just never got the appeal of Styles. He sounded more like an overexcited sixteen year old calling the match, just without the misogyny and homophobia.

Oh god no, there was plenty of misogyny and homophobia with Joey Styles, it was just acceptable in the 90s.

Joey was a big deal in ECW because he called the matches, which didn't really happen when Eric Bischoff is just droning on about the NWO arriving in a limo while 2 lucha guys kill themselves doing cool poo poo that barely gets acknowledged. I dunno, he sounded genuinely excited and into the stuff he was watching for the most part and that was cool, he called moves rather than just yelling WHATAMANEUVER, he shittalked WWE and WCW in a way that appealed to smart fans at the time, and generally was a big part of the "us and Them" culty vibe of ECW. And honestly, much as I think his commentary has aged poorly, he was good at getting over guys who weren't actually very good like 911. Most of that credit should go to the booking but it's hard to imagine it being quite as successful without the commentary.

(Also would say that if you've ever watched early Eastern Championship Wrestling, where Stevie Wonderful was doing colour, Styles was a huge improvement)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

forkboy84 posted:

Oh god no, there was plenty of misogyny and homophobia with Joey Styles, it was just acceptable in the 90s

(Also would say that if you've ever watched early Eastern Championship Wrestling, where Stevie Wonderful was doing colour, Styles was a huge improvement)

Yeah, I should have said that it was less than expected, not totally without.

And I recently rewatched some of the first episodes of Raw with the team of Vince, Savage, and Rob loving Bartlett, so most things are an improvement.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I was watching the Chaos history videos on NJPW's channel and they said Ishii couldn't get into the dojo because of his height

The dojo has a height requirement?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Low Desert Punk posted:

I was watching the Chaos history videos on NJPW's channel and they said Ishii couldn't get into the dojo because of his height

The dojo has a height requirement?

Probably more of a "get out vanilla midget" thing.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

A lot of Joey Styles's commentary was Paul Heyman in his ear sometimes reciting what Joey was going to say about a move word for word

So if you like Paul Heyman,

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP posted:

I loved him at the time but his act has aged about as poorly as most of ECW did. But he was real good at calling moves.

Except for the Tiger Bombs and Roaring Elbows.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Are wwe announcers employees or independent contractors? For folks like graves and saxton, do they get benefits by transitioning to the desk?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Graves mentioned being salaried and not getting a bonus for the Saudi shows as a result. That sounds like an employee but it's this company so you never can tell.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Are wwe announcers employees or independent contractors? For folks like graves and saxton, do they get benefits by transitioning to the desk?

I think the announcers are just contract employees, though the rest of production and promotion are employees

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, I should have said that it was less than expected, not totally without.

And I recently rewatched some of the first episodes of Raw with the team of Vince, Savage, and Rob loving Bartlett, so most things are an improvement.

Yeah, Rob Bartlett was the drizzling shits but until you've heard early ROH commentated by such luminaries as Donnie B and Eric Gargulo you truly don't know bad commentary. Guys so bad that they make you glad when Gabe starts doing commentary with Doug Gentry because it's merely crap rather than outright offensive.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

We could of always gotten the Dark timeline where New Japan didn't get English Commentary and kept us with Matt Striker and Yoshi Tatsu

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, Rob Bartlett was the drizzling shits but until you've heard early ROH commentated by such luminaries as Donnie B and Eric Gargulo you truly don't know bad commentary. Guys so bad that they make you glad when Gabe starts doing commentary with Doug Gentry because it's merely crap rather than outright offensive.

Steve Corino's 2002 ROH commentary is a crime against humanity.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

forkboy84 posted:

he was good at getting over guys who weren't actually very good like 911

I was watching hardcore TV's last year and boy howdy I sure loved 911. like, obviously he sucked and was only good for chokeslamming tiny jobbers but goddamnit what a good gimmick.

I just love giving the fans the opportunity to "call 911" when they're bored of whatever is going on, and this 6'2", out of shape bus mechanic with a huge mullet and thick mustache comes out to destroy tiny guys. it's just so pure.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

911 was part of the 5% of ECW that wasn’t pure unmitigated garbage

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
ECW was edgy for edgy's sake sometimes but it was the 90's. The thing Heyman and Styles did really well was making people look good, even if they were completely bottom of the barrel. They also really took in fan feedback so if something wasn't working they'd think of something different for them. I do appreciate ECW for the fact that they would try and make everyone over, even if nobody was making money.

Post Attitude Era bubble pop, it's rare to see a promotion using people in a way that the whole card is over even if they're garbage wrestlers or promos.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

oldpainless posted:

911 was part of the 5% of ECW that wasn’t pure unmitigated garbage

I have been watching Hardcore TV from the start for the first time, am only into 1996, my hot take is that even when ECW is garbage it is still entertaining garbage for the most part. Which is more than can be said for a lot of wrestling TV these days. And '93 ECW is a lot of garbage with just the occasional good bit usually featuring Eddie Gilbert or Terry Funk.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why do these idiots keep calling their apparent good friends Mike Rotundo and Curt Henning?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

I do appreciate ECW for the fact that they would try and make everyone over, even if nobody was making money.

ECW got a lot of people paydays in the big 2 who would never have had a shot because of how well they hid those flaws.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

remusclaw posted:

ECW got a lot of people paydays in the big 2 who would never have had a shot because of how well they hid those flaws.

It will never cease to amaze how Public Enemy came across like the best tag team in the world and it's almost all smoke and mirrors but it's still fun as he'll.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Here Come the Hotstepper really helped them

Gimmick doesn't work without it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

? I just got passed the Hall and Hawk stuff in B&V&C's Retro Nitro and Raw Reviews and the core idea sounds like it had merit. These guys had real problems and those problems shouldn't just be ignored. They obviously shouldn't be handled the way they were but it just made me wonder what if the people in charge actually cared and it wasn't all just a farce to mock their struggling employees.

Do you think pro wrestling can ever handle more mature storylines like that? If they could just be done tastefully and with genuine care for the ideas being addressed? Or is the medium of pro wrestling just too inherently goofy and escapist? Raven called it a soap opera but even a soap opera can have heavy themes and messages. Im not sure if pro wrestling can.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Soap operas don't involve the actual real-life issues of the actors.

But as an example, how would you tastefully handle Steve Austin beating Debra?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Here Come the Hotstepper really helped them

Gimmick doesn't work without it

TBH the music was such a huge part for everyone in ECW. Shane Douglas without Perfect Strangers was the definition of just a guy, and how much of the New Jack allure was Natural Born Killaz? Basically all of it.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

rare Magic card l00k posted:

one two three in the middle of the ring

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Genericide posted:

one two three in the middle of the ring

distraction roll-up

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

House of Horrors Match.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soap operas don't involve the actual real-life issues of the actors.

Doomsday Chamber of Blood

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

TBH the music was such a huge part for everyone in ECW. Shane Douglas without Perfect Strangers was the definition of just a guy, and how much of the New Jack allure was Natural Born Killaz? Basically all of it.

New Jack had a ton of charisma and a compelling promo style that he was much more than the music. Watch the promos he did from Harlem or the subway.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

His Smoky Mountain run had great promos but he got The Bad Heat

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
So I have a vague idea of how wrestling became fake back in the day. My question is, was the shoulders down for the 3 count ever used in legitimate competition? Or was that purely an invention for fake matches? Seems like such a strange, impractical way of finishing a real fight

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Isn't most wrestling a one-count, professional wrestling being the only version that requires a three?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CityMidnightJunky posted:

So I have a vague idea of how wrestling became fake back in the day. My question is, was the shoulders down for the 3 count ever used in legitimate competition? Or was that purely an invention for fake matches? Seems like such a strange, impractical way of finishing a real fight

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Roman_wrestling#Victory_conditions

Traditional wrestling counts a "pin" as when the shoulders are on the mat for one or two seconds - pro wrestling just added an extra second and the referee counting each "second" with a slap on the mat for dramatic effect

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Originally in pro wrestling it wasn't even a count, a fall was recorded when you were thrown down. That changed when collar and elbow style went out of favor but it was mostly worked before that point.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

forkboy84 posted:

I have heard Shane McMahon and Jim Cornette and you will never convince me that there could be worse commentary in any promotion that runs tv / ppv

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I know it's apparently sacrilegious, but Gorilla was loving terrible next to anyone other than the Body and the Brain. Check out his commentary for Summerslam '88 where he spends three hours trying to get "It's a happening!" over as a catchphrase.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the other person at the desk for that one was Billy Graham.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

its not sacrilege its true monsoon sucked.