Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Kitsune Impersonator Tradition and Kolat Saboteur Conspiracy both require you to take the False Identity disadvantage, uniquely among schools.

Kitsune Impersonator: Courtier/Shugenja. You get a solid mix of invocations and shuji, with a handful of kata. Kitsune are heavily Air-focused, at that, so your magic is slightly limited. This is made up for with an amazing technique: Fox Spirit. The true form of a Kitsune Impersonator is either a large, multi-tailed fox (for full-blood kitsune) or human with fox traits (if they have human ancestry). As a Scheme/Support action, you can transform freely between your true form and your human form, or may turn into any silhouette 1-2 natural creature the GM allows, though not a specific person. Anyone with Vigilance lower than your Performance+Rank can't spot any flaws. However, if you become Compromised, your disguise slips, revealing your true tail, ears, feet or shadow. Also, it costs 1 honor to pretend to be someone of higher Status than yourself, in addition to any normal costs for your actions, and kitsune get no honor loss discounts for being trickster spirits - you decided to be a samurai, you stick with it. The capstone is Ninth Tail Ascension. You now have nine tails in your true form, and in your true form you get +2 to supernatural and physical resistance, and when you make a skill check in it, you can change one of your dice with a success on it to a face with a critical success on it. Further, in your true form you can now spend Opportunities on Attack actions to instakill anyone you incapacitate or knock unconscious by devouring or banishing their body or soul.

Kolat Saboteur: Shinobi. Primarily kata in the curriculum, but with access to ninjutsu and shuji. Their base technique is pretty hefty. Once per session at the start of a scene, they can declare that an NPC in the scene is the target of their current assignment. The GM tells them what the assignment is - sabotage the target, frame them, kill them, keep them alive, whatever. Until the end of the session, whenever they make a skill check targeting that NPC, they can reroll dice equal to their school rank. Their capstone is pretty funny, I like it: Usher In The New Age. As a downtime activity, you can make a Skulduggery check to gain access to an NPC, bypassing their defenses, with a TN based on the NPC's conflict ranks. If you succeed and the NPC is a minion or non-plot-essential foe, you just do whatever you set it to do - murder them, deliver a threat, whatever. If they're an important foe, you confront them in a scene, alone - just you and them. You can spend opportunities to ensure no one else notices what's going on, or to ensure that if you kill them, it looks like an accident or natural causes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mors Rattus posted:

Kitsune Impersonator: Further, in your true form you can now spend Opportunities on Attack actions to instakill anyone you incapacitate or knock unconscious by devouring or banishing their body or soul.

Wait, what. Do you just swallow them whole or something? Or does extremely messy violence ensue?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Not specified.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Roland Jones posted:

Wait, what. Do you just swallow them whole or something? Or does extremely messy violence ensue?

Probably however the player decides to represent it because a nine tailed fox is a powerful shapeshifter in East Asian mythology.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The trade off with these classes is getting a table of other people to pretend they don’t know you’re the ninja for four hours a week.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is there an online dice roller app out there for the new edition yet?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There's a discord bot and a Google Play app.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Roll20 has support for it, too, I think?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am really loving the new book. More info about society works is always helpful and the art is wonderful. Having rules for monks is nice, brings me one step closer to being able to reprise my Asahina Monk character in this new time-line.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Can I play Outwit without a Courtier in play to soak up Hida Kisada's cancel?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

PJOmega posted:

Can I play Outwit without a Courtier in play to soak up Hida Kisada's cancel?

No. All abilities you trigger must be able to fulfill their conditions and change the game state without considering the presence of cancels or other interrupts.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/1/23/the-son-of-heaven/

Han tei, so what?

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 25, 2019

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
That Humble Magistrate seems mighty good out of Unicorn. As long as you can keep him around the fight. But he's a nice enabler for Scorpion splash with Edict and Favors to solve Unicorns problems.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I don't see myself playing Hantei in a srs deck, but I still love it!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

I don't see myself playing Hantei in a srs deck, but I still love it!

I am going to play the gently caress out of Hantei. He's going to work amazingly well out of Phoenix

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

How so?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

For why it's good in Phoenix:
Phoenix has some excellent fate management tools, so we are able to cover the 6 cost better than average
Phoenix is good at claiming the Favor, with mid-high glory stats and Display of Power swinging the ring count

For why it's good overall:
The ability to choose targets for an opponent's ability shut down so many high value plays. Void Fist is especially delicious.
The ability to bow an opponent means that Hantei is effectively equal to your opponent's strongest character. Given how dominant tower strategies are, this is fantastic value
6 glory and never entering a conflict means that you will always have the Favor claimed after you play him. That turns Censure from a niche card to a super powerful cancel

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Censure is a niche card? That's news to me. I guess I play against too many phoenix/crane.

6 fate seems way too high to be consistently useful, imo.

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 29, 2019

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

Censure is a niche card? That's news to me. I guess I play against too many phoenix/crane.

6 fate seems way too high to be consistently useful, imo.

Yeah, if you could cheat him into play somehow he'd be a bit better (but maybe that'd be too good). Dash Military means you can't Charge him, for example. At the moment I can bank a lot of fate in something like Dragon or Scorpion, but I dunno if I wouldn't rather just buy a Mitsu, Sumiko, or Kachiko that can actually initiate or defend conflicts instead.

Perhaps somewhere down the line the 'Imperial' deck they're slowly setting up will get some way to discount Imperial cards and he'll be played in that. Maybe if the Unicorn pack stronghold turns out to be super efficient in making a ton of fate they'll play him?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Yeah, I don't see a lot of people using him.

This game needs that expansion soon. At least after that we're going to get almost monthly clan packs for a bit and then hopefully we'll switch to a drip format of monthly packs or large box expansions with a quicker turnaround on new cards.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

By way of rezzng this thread for the moment, the RPG is good and you should play it. While the LCG doesn't feel much like the old card game, the new RPG feels like L5R with modern design.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It’s real good, yeah. I love the new setting book, too, it’s shown me a lot of info I hadn’t known I’d been craving foreve4, and it’s super respectful, which is great.

Plus there is enough info presented to run a game in Meido and Gaki-do, helping Emma-O and the mazoku fight Fu Leng.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Agreed. Emerald Empire is amazing. Hoping for great things from the Shadowlands cycle. Still also hoping for a miniature game ala Rune Wars.

I visited some friends a couple months ago and we ran through the beginner game. I played Doji Ren and won the Topaz Championship. We had so much fun we decided to keep it going online, so I built Doji Ren as a real character and am having a fuggin' blast playing. Roll20 has dice support. Gosh dang yall it's fun. Give it a go.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

WerrWaaa posted:

Still also hoping for a miniature game ala Rune Wars.

Well, maybe not like Runewars...

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

CCG is doing well but the long delay between expansions is too brutal and really hurting interest. I get them not wanting to launch the new box in December but the January to February delay was painful. We're still waiting on the new box and I'm worried that I might have lost my group to Keyforge in the interim.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm going to start a program in Nepal focused on learning the Tibetan language, and I thought about running L5R 5e for a group there. Any advice for playing in the more Tibetan-inspired aspects of Rokugan? I was thinking of the game being on the border of the Dragon-Unicorn lands, so we get those monastic and steppe cultures mixing.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Children has started to arrive in places and while I won't see it for another month we also got a preview for the next cycle!

Including a new mechanic that sounds like it's going to be way more game changing than composure.

FFG posted:

The disguised keyword. These disguised characters can be played normally, but they also have a unique way of entering the battlefield from your provinces or from your hand.

If you choose to, you can unveil your disgusied character by choosing any non-unique character that matches the restrictions listed on the disguised character. So, in the case of Akodo Zentarō ( disguised: bushi ), you could choose any non-unique Bushi that you control. You'll reduce the cost to play the disguised character from your province or your hand by the printed cost of the chosen character, and when you play the disguised character, you'll move all attachments and tokens (including fate tokens and status tokens) from the chosen character to the disguised character. Finally, you'll discard the chosen character from play—they have revealed themselves to be the disguised samurai!

Importantly, your disguised samurai can't have additional fate put on them when they're played in this way! Thematically, they are the same samurai that has been in the conflict all along, only with their true identity revealed. Even if they are a dynasty card like Akodo Zentarō, you can use the disguised keyword any time you could play a character from your hand during the conflict phase, and they will always enter the field unbowed.

One other thing I find interesting is that FFG is offering special, text less, full art promos from the pack for free if you order off their website. Strange given they were trying to drive people out to LGS by tightening down on their distribution and price points.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 14, 2019

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

PaybackJack posted:

Children has started to arrive in places and while I won't see it for another month we also got a preview for the next cycle!

Including a new mechanic that sounds like it's going to be way more game changing than composure.

One other thing I find interesting is that FFG is offering special, text less, full art promos from the pack for free if you order off their website. Strange given they were trying to drive people out to LGS by tightening down on their distribution and price points.

thats cool as hell

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Ruzihm posted:

thats cool as hell

It's interesting because it's kind of like the experienced mechanic in the old game but a bit more broad in terms of who you can overlay, and that they overlay standing makes them an interesting way of behind able to ready a character.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

PaybackJack posted:

It's interesting because it's kind of like the experienced mechanic in the old game but a bit more broad in terms of who you can overlay, and that they overlay standing makes them an interesting way of behind able to ready a character.

The broader ability to overlay is going to make it much more strategically relevant, because now any Bushi could be Akodo Zentaro in a Lion deck. So now every unnamed martial threat has to be treated like it might be Zentaro.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

It's pretty much a direct derivative of the Experienced 7 mechanic they made for the seven thunders in Dawn of the Empire. No idea if it was specifically made that way or they just came up with it, but it's not something l5r hadn't seen before. Just a different flavor.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

The broader ability to overlay is going to make it much more strategically relevant, because now any Bushi could be Akodo Zentaro in a Lion deck. So now every unnamed martial threat has to be treated like it might be Zentaro.

Zentaro is at least a Dynasty character. You can see him face up on the province row and know if he's a threat or not from that. But Disguised characters can also be conflict (we haven't seen any, but I bet that the Scorpion one will be) in which case they could pop up anywhere. Of course, conflict characters could already pop up anywhere, but the discount for replacement thing does change the math slightly

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm just a little put off that we're getting this in the "Inheritance" cycle instead of good old flavor-soaked Experienced. I can't argue that it's a worse gameplay or design decision; it's just so close to being maybe my single favorite thing about the old days' rules and it simply isn't that. I still look at the neutral Toturi in Children and sigh he isn't "Experienced."

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I agree in the general sense that there are some small tweaks they could have made to evoke more of the old L5R feel that I miss. I get it from the RPG, with the advantages/disadvantages, progression, roll and keep, etc. But the LCG while mechanically tight is missing a feel I like. I will, however, keep buying product hoping it clicks one day. :p

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Heck yeah :same: I'm buying it so long as it's good, and it's good. My previously issued long posts may not look it but I think the current RPG edition is great. I'm going to grab Emerald Empire soon even though I have like every previous edition's "guide to life" book. Thinking I might pass on the Shadowlands book though - sorry FFG, but between already owning the 1e books on the topic and my low opinion of Shadowlands-as-forever-war, that's not what I need right now.

Why's the "same" emote got a dead shark in it anyway?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I'm sure new crab families / schools / kata / and so forth will be a lion's share of the crunchy bits in the Shadowlands books. And if it matched EE for writing quality I'm here for it. Fingers crossed for Nezumi playable race, and a future Shinomen Mori sourcebook.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

SuperKlaus posted:

Heck yeah :same: I'm buying it so long as it's good, and it's good. My previously issued long posts may not look it but I think the current RPG edition is great. I'm going to grab Emerald Empire soon even though I have like every previous edition's "guide to life" book. Thinking I might pass on the Shadowlands book though - sorry FFG, but between already owning the 1e books on the topic and my low opinion of Shadowlands-as-forever-war, that's not what I need right now.

Why's the "same" emote got a dead shark in it anyway?

It's a poster in the Nichijou anime.

"sah-MEH" - romanized as "same" - means shark in japanese

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I actually think they won't present it as just a forever war, either, given the presentation of Fu Leng vs Emma-O in the Underworld that EE gave us. Fu Leng is an active leader of evil still, and while he may have been defeated by the Thunders, he is very much still The Guy In Charge Of The Baddies and the direct source of oni. Giving that face to the forces of evil will, I think, have a lot of knock-on effects in Shadowlands stuff.

Like, Fu Leng and the oni have active, direct plans you can thwart, even if the background radiation of goblins doing goblin bullshit is gonna be a constant.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

There's one subtle thing in the core book that illustrates how they're not doing the Forever War again. Cleansing Rite is a Rank 1 ritual that's not only available to everyone but also in the starting techniques of several schools in case you didn't want to pay for it. By default, it's a TN 3 check to remove the Afflicted condition (on the road to gaining Taint). And if you spend opportunity you can instead remove the Defiled trait from a small area. Even if the Shadowlands creep back in (after days) it's still more progress than prior editions would let you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hm, those are encouraging signs. One facet of my dislike of the old "forever war" though is the way that oni couldn't appear anywhere inside the Empire without it being an advance scout for an Empire-ending plot or otherwise Big News. Much as Rokugan feels too small when the Clans are monolithic entities tightly controlled by their Champions, where all plots are described in terms of "the Lion do this and the Crane do that" so that the whole country has effectively eight or nine political actors, it feels constraining when various oogie boogie monsters are all agents of Shadowlands-as-a-foreign-power. Again referring to things like Usagi Yojimbo, I want a mythology-accented not-Japan where oni might just be hanging out in a mountain cave eating peasants because that's something they do, and samurai outside of Crab lands run into them from time to time without it being some failure of the Wall.

But yeah those are very interesting ideas so I'll have to get EE and read about the new conception of Fu Leng. It also certainly does take away from the disliked Big News Forever War idea if one oni running amok at Shiro Shinjo doesn't canonically mean permanently warped and Tained lands and people because hey man chill and get a Cleansing Rite.

Also thanks for explaining the emote Ruzihm. I learned something Rokugan-relevant!