Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bandire posted:

Not exactly, but the Turn On Automatically settings live right behind that step. You should step through it to make sure it's all turned off. You could have some bad app data or something behaving unexpectedly.

I just did that, and will report back tomorrow if it happened again. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm getting the "restarting constantly" issue with my Pixel 1 XL 128gb, and I really, really don't want to pay Verizon retail price for a Pixel 3 XL when I was really happy with my Pixel 1 XL. I've never messed with jailbroken phones before - what's the best way to go about buying my own Android instead of getting it through them? Getting a refurbished one though Amazon sounds sketch, going by the reviews I'm worried I'll get a busted phone with the same issues. And I'm open to other Android models as long as they're comparable to my original phone.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

You buy a phone and insert your old sim card. I am guessing by jail broken you mean unlocked. If it's a pixel it will work on Verizon. If you buy another brand like a Samsung you may have to worry if TMobile carrier locked it but Verizon doesn't lock any phones..not since they rolled out the 4g network

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well, yeah, I know that part, but where is a trustworthy marketplace to get jailbroken phones? Is it all just a crapshoot?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

stevewm posted:

Complete longshot here, but mentioning because I had it happen...

They wouldn't happen to be trying to open a PDF in email using the Android YahooMail app would they?

Had a customer complaining they couldn't open PDF invoices we emailed them. Went down a rabbit hole and discovered they where using the YahooMail app. Said app goes entirely by the MIME Type of file attachments to determine what application to open them with. At the same time we discovered our software was sending PDF attachments with the generic binary MIME type, so YahooMail's app would just throw an error instead of handing it off to a app to handle.

No other mail app had this issue as most tend to go by the file extension instead.

Nope, standard Samsung email app. I work with her tomorrow, I might just install a PDF reader and see if I can manipulate default PDF apps somehow?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well, yeah, I know that part, but where is a trustworthy marketplace to get jailbroken phones? Is it all just a crapshoot?

I don't really understand what you're asking here. You go to a store that sells phones, and buy a phone there, unrelated to your carrier. Or a webshop. Any trusted electronics retailer seems like it would work?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Jailbreaking is a way to install uncertified apps on an iOS device. It has nothing to do with Android phones.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm getting the "restarting constantly" issue with my Pixel 1 XL 128gb, and I really, really don't want to pay Verizon retail price for a Pixel 3 XL when I was really happy with my Pixel 1 XL. I've never messed with jailbroken phones before - what's the best way to go about buying my own Android instead of getting it through them? Getting a refurbished one though Amazon sounds sketch, going by the reviews I'm worried I'll get a busted phone with the same issues. And I'm open to other Android models as long as they're comparable to my original phone.

Just go to swappa.com, find a phone you want, find a seller with a 5-star rating and a phone in good or mint condition, and buy it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Just go to swappa.com, find a phone you want, find a seller with a 5-star rating and a phone in good or mint condition, and buy it.

Yeah, Swappa is decent. Also remember that, on Amazon, if you have basically any reason to not like the phone, you can return it.

Also, until Saturday, you can get $300 gift card when buying the Pixel 3 at Target right now, and potentially stack that with $300 Verizon bill credits if you're with Big Red.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I'm planning on upgrading from a Pixel 1 to a OnePlus 6T and I have a couple questions.

It looks like Android's built in backup tool isn't including a lot of stuff, particularly my ~60GB of downloaded files from Tidal and Pocket Casts. Is there a way to make backup everything? Maybe a good alternative? Or am I stuck re-downloading and re-configuring everything manually?

I've only ever used Nova Launcher on stock Android, does it run fine on OEM versions? And can I just make a backup on my Pixel and then restore it on the 6T?

Also, what up uber.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Monday_ posted:

Also, what up uber.

:negative:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I run Nova on a Pixel. Works just fine. I forget I use it most of the time.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Here we go, this is what I was looking for. Sorry to the others who were confused by my questions, again, admittedly, I don't really know what I'm doing here and I'm trying to learn.

Thankfully my phone started working again, but there's no telling how long it will be before it goes on the fritz again, so I'm thinking about replacing it now. Below is a description of my issues - has anyone else had this happen? Or heard about what the cause might be? Google support hasn't even been able to diagnose it.

The phone is a Pixel XL 1, 128gb. At first it was like someone was pressing the power button rapidly, several times a second - my camera would open and close, the restart menu would pop up over and over, etc. Then it started restarting - it will restart over and over and over, like every few seconds in the middle of the startup screen. Every once in a while it will stop long enough make it to the home screen, but often it starts again out of nowhere.

It had been trouble-free for a few weeks, but then it started again last night - it went right into the restarting loop this time. I was only able to stop it when it finally got the home screen, and I powered it down from there for about an hour. When I turned it back on everything has worked fine again - so far.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Here we go, this is what I was looking for. Sorry to the others who were confused by my questions, again, admittedly, I don't really know what I'm doing here and I'm trying to learn.

Thankfully my phone started working again, but there's no telling how long it will be before it goes on the fritz again, so I'm thinking about replacing it now. Below is a description of my issues - has anyone else had this happen? Or heard about what the cause might be? Google support hasn't even been able to diagnose it.

The phone is a Pixel XL 1, 128gb. At first it was like someone was pressing the power button rapidly, several times a second - my camera would open and close, the restart menu would pop up over and over, etc. Then it started restarting - it will restart over and over and over, like every few seconds in the middle of the startup screen. Every once in a while it will stop long enough make it to the home screen, but often it starts again out of nowhere.

It had been trouble-free for a few weeks, but then it started again last night - it went right into the restarting loop this time. I was only able to stop it when it finally got the home screen, and I powered it down from there for about an hour. When I turned it back on everything has worked fine again - so far.

That kind of boot loop is often terminal, my suggestion would be to start looking for a replacement.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I think this sounds different than bootlooping caused by messed up system storage. With the camera popping up it sounds like it's the literal power button that keeps getting pressed repeatedly. Maybe there's dust under the button or something?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Desk Lamp posted:

That kind of boot loop is often terminal, my suggestion would be to start looking for a replacement.

Yeah, I was about ready to pull the trigger on that and then it started working again. I should probably just do it instead of rolling the dice on an unreliable phone.

RZA Encryption posted:

I think this sounds different than bootlooping caused by messed up system storage. With the camera popping up it sounds like it's the literal power button that keeps getting pressed repeatedly. Maybe there's dust under the button or something?

Yeah I've heard both of those as possible explanations, but no real solutions for either. I assume if there's a way to fix it it's cheaper just to grab a new one anyway.

Actually I want to replace it anyway because it actually has burn-in on the screen from google maps. I didn't even know you could get burn-in on modern devices...!

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 15, 2019

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
excessive and prolonged heat will cause that on any modern display

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It might have happened because I routinely turn my screen brightness up all the way. I usually have it on auto, but there was some update months ago that seemed to make auto WAY dimmer than it used to be - I barely could make anything out with it on whereas it was fine before. My wife noticed the same thing on her (non-XL) Pixel.

Well, I THINK it was an updated, but maybe my eyes are going? I dunno. It was really strange, one day auto brightness was fine, the next day it's literally dimmer than the lowest brightness setting. Really weird.

Anyway, just ordered a new one.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Actually I want to replace it anyway because it actually has burn-in on the screen from google maps. I didn't even know you could get burn-in on modern devices...!

Yuuuuup. Welcome to the downside of AMOLED displays. They're bright, they're colorful, and they burn in like no one's business. Samsung phones have a long history of that, and many other manufacturers have also suffered issues from time to time, depending on what exact display they're using.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Monday_ posted:

I'm planning on upgrading from a Pixel 1 to a OnePlus 6T and I have a couple questions.

It looks like Android's built in backup tool isn't including a lot of stuff, particularly my ~60GB of downloaded files from Tidal and Pocket Casts. Is there a way to make backup everything? Maybe a good alternative? Or am I stuck re-downloading and re-configuring everything manually?

I've only ever used Nova Launcher on stock Android, does it run fine on OEM versions? And can I just make a backup on my Pixel and then restore it on the 6T?

Also, what up uber.

You can indeed backup your Nova settings and restore them on a different phone. I don't know if that's a free feature or for Prime buyers only. I used Nova on the Nexus 6P and it run fine. I've been using the OnePlus launcher on the OnePlus 6T though, so I can't comment on it's performance there. I can't imagine it would cause issues however. OxygenOS is very close to stock Android.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Monday_ posted:

Download OnePlus phone transfer app in your old device. They didn't promote it well but it made setup flawless.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 16, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Samsung is offering 550 on a S9 for the S10. I ended up doing this last year for the s8 to s9 and I had no problems but it was 350 for the s8 on the s9 which makes me think it's going to be way way higher this year. I guess I'll know in 4 days.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Wasabi the J posted:

Download OnePlus phone transfer app in your old device. They didn't promote it well but it made setup flawless.

Oh right. I totally forgot the OnePlus transfer app. It moved everything over from my Nexus 6P without a hitch.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It might have happened because I routinely turn my screen brightness up all the way. I usually have it on auto, but there was some update months ago that seemed to make auto WAY dimmer than it used to be - I barely could make anything out with it on whereas it was fine before. My wife noticed the same thing on her (non-XL) Pixel.

Well, I THINK it was an updated, but maybe my eyes are going? I dunno. It was really strange, one day auto brightness was fine, the next day it's literally dimmer than the lowest brightness setting. Really weird.

Anyway, just ordered a new one.

Android 9 introduced some "AI" features that try to learn/predict certain settings, such as screen brightness. The more you adjust it to your liking based on ambient brightness, time of day etc., the more the phone can start adjusting it automatically for you in future.

Also, whoever asked about Nova Launcher on OEM skins, it should pretty much perform as well as it does on stock Android.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Android 9 introduced some "AI" features that try to learn/predict certain settings, such as screen brightness. The more you adjust it to your liking based on ambient brightness, time of day etc., the more the phone can start adjusting it automatically for you in future.

The AI is pretty loving stupid, in my experience. I will adjust the brightness how I want it and it will automatically change within a minute to the previous setting. I'll fight it several times before it "sticks".

I've had it to the point where I'll adjust it brighter, the screen will almost immediately dim, and when I pull the shade down to change it back, it will adjust to where I wanted it like it knew I wanted to scold it (stop anamorphisizing your OS!).

To be fair, this generally happens at night in dark rooms. I rarely notice it during the day.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Uthor posted:

The AI is pretty loving stupid, in my experience. I will adjust the brightness how I want it and it will automatically change within a minute to the previous setting. I'll fight it several times before it "sticks".

I have the same issue, to the point where I want to go looking for a widget that simply disables/enables adaptive brightness so I can tell it to loving stop it for 5 damned minues.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

I've had it to the point where I'll adjust it brighter, the screen will almost immediately dim, and when I pull the shade down to change it back, it will adjust to where I wanted it like it knew I wanted to scold it (stop anamorphisizing your OS!).

To be fair, this generally happens at night in dark rooms. I rarely notice it during the day.

This is pretty much exactly how it functions in my experience, also in mostly dark places.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I still have Lux on my phone even though it hasn't been updated since 2016. Is there anything better at controlling brightness given my stock experiences are like those shared here?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
glad that google is taking the Samsung route here of making their phones into high intensity spotlights in the middle of the night because you brushed your hand near the ambient light sensor

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The stock Samsung rom on the Note 9 let you adjust the auto brightness behavior too, so if I set it to minimum when it's pitch black, it'll come down to 0 next time too instead of like 5-10% like it normally would. In general it seems to work fine in auto even without touching it :confused:

However, is it just me or did the latest update mess up custom DPI? I thought I had it cranked up to 450-500 or so without any ill effects but now with Android 9 and OneUI 1.0 it seems that 450 makes the icons huge without any significant benefit and >460 fucks up the keyboard and always on display so I'm stuck with stock settings for now.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Ran into a new bug today: the + button to add something to the calendar was missing. Made it rather hard to add a reminder, though I eventually got it to return by tapping a specific hour to open the add event menu and canceling back out.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
So the og pixel XL is starting to die. I'm getting freezing issues and a bunch of random restarts indicating device death soon. Is the p3xl still worth the cash?

UK goon here so sprunt rebate shenanagins doesn't work here...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Honestly any flagship phone is hard to recommend if you're paying full price. If it's compatible with your networks (and in the UK I have to assume it is), the OP 6T competes with the Pixel 3XL, but at normally a substantial price discount, so I'd give them a look.

If there aren't any discounts available for you right now, I'd also wait a week or so: the Samsung S10 is releasing in a few days, and may very well precipitate some discounts across the board for everything else.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Wow the Honor 8X looks like a hell of a phone for $250. The blue/purple one is one of the best looking phones I've ever seen.

https://www.androidcentral.com/honor-8x-review

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Am I crazy for wanting a 1440p screen on my phone or should I learn to settle for 1080p?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Last page, this driving mode stuff, is that Pixel specific, or am I supposed to find this in Pie in general?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

CascadeBeta posted:

Am I crazy for wanting a 1440p screen on my phone or should I learn to settle for 1080p?
I've got a 1080p screen on my 5.99" phone and it's totally fine. IIRC pentile displays look worse at 1080p than a standard LCD like mine, though, so if you're on a Samsung OLED maybe 1440p matters?

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

CascadeBeta posted:

If you have 20/5 vision, sure. Otherwise cramming more pixels into a six inch screen just eats up battery life.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm a huge screen sperg and was worried about going from a Pixel XL (1440) to a Pixel 3 (1080) but it's totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I've got a 1080p screen on my 5.99" phone and it's totally fine. IIRC pentile displays look worse at 1080p than a standard LCD like mine, though, so if you're on a Samsung OLED maybe 1440p matters?

Only if you intend to VR with it, more resolution means less screen door effect.