Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

I still have SD2 and just checked the install folder. It's only 19GB so uhhhhhhhh what the hell did they gently caress up for SD3?

btw I only have one add-on kit because it was on sale for black friday for $20

It's mostly because of the completely unnecessary surround sound samples that they added, those alone are 149 GB.

I still downloaded them for no loving reason only because I have a 5 TB external drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Devtalk:

If you like heavy, SYL's City album is a masterpiece of industrial tinged thrash, Alien would be my second pick, if nothing else listen to 'Skeksis' and 'Shitstorm' for some truly visceral insight into what happens when a person with bipolar purposefully goes off their meds to see how dark they can get (he's much better now, thankfully).
The most recent album from Devin Townsend Project (apart from the upcoming Empath) is Transcendence which is a decent culmination of that... Project, kinda prog-ish metal.
Ki or Ghost are good 'quiet' albums.
Oh, and Synchestra is very very good too, bit

And the first Ziltoid album, because it's all him.

.... Fuckssake I can't pick one.

And i still have the sharpie portrait he drew of my mum at a signing, that he was late for after he got stuck behind a tractor because Devon took exception to Devin.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 13, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Devin Townsend is one of my favorite humans/musicians of all time. It’s so hard to recommend stuff though because of how much ground he covers. Honestly I would say try out the last Devin Townsend Project album Transcendence. If you like any certain things about that one he surely has other albums closer to that sound.

This video is actually what finally sold me. He’s clearly uncomfortable, hating NAMM, can’t hear anything right. But he pulls together this performance that’s so raw and unique. There was something about the energy of it all that made me a lifelong fan.

And then of course this performance of Kingdom for EMG is insane. I’ve watched it probably a hundred times.

Any quality production live footage is excellent. He’s a master of getting an incredible sound and atmosphere in huge arenas.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Infinity. Or as my best friend / former guitar tech likes to call it, "That disturbed, naked guy in a white space" record.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
:negative: (everything about it)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Devin Townsend is awesome. He's got a fantastic ear for huge kick rear end guitar sounds and seems like a smart, ultra-nerdy, down to earth dude who would be fun to hang with.

He's also one of those weird musicians who has a pretty decent catalog of work, but I was never able to really get into it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have a similar opinion of Steve Vai. But what happened in 1993 will stain both of those dudes forever and it's a shame because I don't believe either one of them deserved that.*

*Except Vai totally did because everyone involved in the project, probably including Steve himself, agrees that Steve ruined it

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Nice to see DEKKAR in the early days

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Also, Jay Leno's Tonight Show after Branford Marsalis peaced out. I know there were late night wars going on but did we really have to sacrifice sound checks?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dr. Faustus posted:

I have a similar opinion of Steve Vai. But what happened in 1993 will stain both of those dudes forever and it's a shame because I don't believe either one of them deserved that.*

*Except Vai totally did because everyone involved in the project, probably including Steve himself, agrees that Steve ruined it

As far as I know the entire thing makes Devin feels miserable and he hates when it comes up in interviews.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Jonny Nox posted:

I was about to post You don't know who Devin Townsend is???!!! when I realized I didn't know either.

Turns out he's Canadian so I see his name everywhere, but have never just listened to his music.

Edit: maybe it's here I keep seeing his name? gently caress if I know. I like it tho...

I was like "He's the guy from Anthrax, you dummy!!!!!" until someone posted a SYL video, which reminded me that I have never heard Anthrax, SYL, or Devin Townshend and probably only saw him in a Guitar World ad in my teen days and know that Pickles from metalocalypse is based on him.

I am become the thread: this Friday I will not only electrify my banjo but will run it through my guitar multieffects pedal just to see for myself why exactly banjocore is not a thing.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Jr. posted:

I was like "He's the guy from Anthrax, you dummy!!!!!" until someone posted a SYL video, which reminded me that I have never heard Anthrax, SYL, or Devin Townshend and probably only saw him in a Guitar World ad in my teen days and know that Pickles from metalocalypse is based on him.

I am become the thread: this Friday I will not only electrify my banjo but will run it through my guitar multieffects pedal just to see for myself why exactly banjocore is not a thing.

Please post results.

I'm begging you!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Shugojin posted:

IIRC the normal Gibson 3 way is bridge, mid + neck out of phase, neck

it's weird

:d2a:

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

I can't really say I a huge fan of his music, but this is the best Devin Townsend video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bxzr9n_HK8

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jr. posted:

I am become the thread
It has a way of sneaking up on you. It can take many years. It's insidious. (a good thread title)

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
blown away that people itt haven't heard of devy, the man is a delight. although the first ziltoid album was a bit ruined for me because he used the stock ezdrummer sonor snare and kick and I've heard those samples on my own garbage demos for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5x-6Tc1WJg&t=2714s

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A Good Username posted:

I can't really say I a huge fan of his music, but this is the best Devin Townsend video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bxzr9n_HK8

I’ve never heard an interview with him before and now I can say he does sound like a cool and interesting guy. I just generally find his music cringe inducingly corny.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

Please post results.

I'm begging you!

I'll try! I'm doing the whole pickup system thing because trying to record normal banjo is completely rear end for me right now with just a mic, but it'd be criminal not to whip an old Kay I bought for $30 through a fuzz or chorus or synth or all of the above once I harvest the power of electricity.

It'll probably sound... not great since I'm speckling the back of the head with piezos and throwing in telecaster-sans-switch circuitry, but someone's got to kick off/kill the lo-fi banjocore revolution.

I blame the broad adoption of standard audio connectors and poverty for making me this way.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
The best Devin video is the one where he covers for tech issues for 15 minutes with pure stage presence and charisma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYQmUNzkYAQ

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I love Devin Townsend for giving Gene Hoglan a job, but I hate him because Strapping Young Lad is beneath Hoglan's ability as a drummer. I'm not saying that SYL isn't good, but from what I've heard Hoglan never gets super technical like he did with Death and his work on Individual Thought Patterns and Symbolic the some of the finest drumming in all of Metal. I want more of that Gene.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Snowy posted:

The only way to win is not to play

Thank you.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

I love Devin Townsend for giving Gene Hoglan a job, but I hate him because Strapping Young Lad is beneath Hoglan's ability as a drummer. I'm not saying that SYL isn't good, but from what I've heard Hoglan never gets super technical like he did with Death and his work on Individual Thought Patterns and Symbolic the some of the finest drumming in all of Metal. I want more of that Gene.
The thing that weirded me out the most recently about Dino and Burton from Fear Factory is that, I don't know if it was two different interviews or the same one, both of them mentioned that Hoglan "wasn't up to par" with how Herrera played and I remember that was the quickest I tilted my head and went:

:crossarms: "Are you for real here?"

Like, I'm not dissing Herrera: He's great on all those old Fear Factory records, but no freaking way that Hoglan isn't up to par with that.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Gene did a playthrough of Skeksis for his last DVD, it's on youtube. There's a lot of weird samba beat stuff going on throughout the song, do recommend checking it out.

edit:
https://youtu.be/-eaIvh6ELVg

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Going back to drum machine software chat for a second, if you don't have $100+ to spare, Hydrogen is free and I've been using it for close to a decade now. It's the GIMP to SD3's Photoshop, but it gets the job done so long as you're good with not having 100% 192kHz uncompressed fidelity.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wark Say posted:

The thing that weirded me out the most recently about Dino and Burton from Fear Factory is that, I don't know if it was two different interviews or the same one, both of them mentioned that Hoglan "wasn't up to par" with how Herrera played and I remember that was the quickest I tilted my head and went:

Like, I'm not dissing Herrera: He's great on all those old Fear Factory records, but no freaking way that Hoglan isn't up to par with that.

I don't think there's anything Hoglan can't do, he does poo poo that I can't comprehend as to how is brain is processing everything.

Concatenation posted:

Gene did a playthrough of Skeksis for his last DVD, it's on youtube. There's a lot of weird samba beat stuff going on throughout the song, do recommend checking it out.

edit:
https://youtu.be/-eaIvh6ELVg

drat that's tasty, I was going to post some of Gene's drum clinics/drum cam playing some Death tracks... and it seems like he had them pulled off YouTube. Ugh.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't think there's anything Hoglan can't do, he does poo poo that I can't comprehend as to how is brain is processing everything.
Hoglan does (or used to do) that weight thing that Dino does with his wristbands... but he does it with his ankles. Like I guess he does it for like "strength" training, but when I read that and then I saw him do it, I was like "this guy indirectly influenced Dave Lombardo, already plays like a loving madman and still trains with ankle weights in his mid-40's". :magical:

What I'm trying to say is that Gene Hoglan is the bee's knees as a drummer.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wark Say posted:

Hoglan does (or used to do) that weight thing that Dino does with his wristbands... but he does it with his ankles. Like I guess he does it for like "strength" training, but when I read that and then I saw him do it, I was like "this guy indirectly influenced Dave Lombardo, already plays like a loving madman and still trains with ankle weights in his mid-40's". :magical:

What I'm trying to say is that Gene Hoglan is the bee's knees as a drummer.

I love that he treats his ankle weights like Goku treats his weighted clothes, and takes them off when he wants to go all out.

Hoglan would also practice timing by staring at a clock then closing his eyes and counting to sixty. Then he would open his eyes and see if he correctly counted in time. Dudes basically the Chuck Norris of drummers but all the dumb memes are true.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

I love that he treats his ankle weights like Goku treats his weighted clothes, and takes them off when he wants to go all out.

Hoglan would also practice timing by staring at a clock then closing his eyes and counting to sixty. Then he would open his eyes and see if he correctly counted in time. Dudes basically the Chuck Norris of drummers but all the dumb memes are true.

Holy poo poo lmao that’s unreal

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

There’s a reason Gene is called The Atomic Clock.

Also he and Devin are two of the nicest dudes I’ve ever met. And professionals the whole way (now that Devin has his bipolar figured out, anyway.)

The biggest thing to remember about Devin’s music is that he’s a giant fuckin’ weirdo with a sense of humor that leads to things like multiple concept albums about an alien intent on destroying the universe in order to get the perfect cup of coffee. Not everything is going to land with everyone’s taste, but it’s always going to be executed flawlessly. It’s part of that Zappa-Vai lineage.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
devin townsend took chester cheetah's slogan as a personal challenge

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/msg/d/chula-vista-custom-electric-guitar/6817722870.html
custom electric guitar

quote:

unique design modeled after a bomber in banked turn,
hand crafted using the finest materials. Body and neck are
one piece of figured Sapele mahogay. back is purple heart
my design hook in bronze bridge with Ti saddles, my design
abalone inlays, Mr Fabulous custom pickup
please consider the cost of wood and metal used in creating
this awesome one of a kind instrument.
Contact me through this listing please.
I can not compete with asian gitter prices so please
be considerate in your offer. USA made.
in process of moving so cash only, no trades or BS.
thank you for looking and for your consideration.

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 15, 2019

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I give him an A for effort at least, those are nice cuts of wood that he butchered.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

I'd buy that for a dollar

and then use the materials to use in more appropriate woodworking projects

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's some gunslinger training level poo poo

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I wish I was joking, watch this whole video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArpzF1Sn68

He wears ankle weights, he practices by taping three sticks together, he can count like a clock. Dude's a loving legend come to life.

also he's got some crazy coke nails

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
timestamp for the ankleweights/goku analogy i made up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArpzF1Sn68&t=913s

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wark Say posted:

FF are for real great musicians, but they're just the cattiest motherfuckers you ever had in a studio together, I just essentially assume that whenever they're talking poo poo about someone, it's because it's part of a power play within their social structure---like, for a while, Burton and Dino hated each other, then Ray left and Dino came back and they're all "we were never at war with Dino, we have always been at war with Ray." It's just what they do.

The real stupid music poo poo is that I had this comment up in a tab for approximately forever but forgot to hit submit until now.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

hexwren posted:

FF are for real great musicians, but they're just the cattiest motherfuckers you ever had in a studio together, I just essentially assume that whenever they're talking poo poo about someone, it's because it's part of a power play within their social structure---like, for a while, Burton and Dino hated each other, then Ray left and Dino came back and they're all "we were never at war with Dino, we have always been at war with Ray." It's just what they do.

The real stupid music poo poo is that I had this comment up in a tab for approximately forever but forgot to hit submit until now.
lol, I've been there man.

And yeah, that (the Fear Factory nonsense) strikes me as incredibly stupid music poo poo.

Shugojin posted:

That's some gunslinger training level poo poo

Kilometers Davis posted:

Holy poo poo lmao that’s unreal
Again, there's probably more technically proficient/impressive drummers out there, but not only is Gene an incredibly accomplished and precise drummer, he has insane endurance. Hell, he played for both Strapping Young Lad and Opeth during most of the Sounds of the Underground tour back in '05.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Wark Say posted:

lol, I've been there man.

And yeah, that (the Fear Factory nonsense) strikes me as incredibly stupid music poo poo.

Again, there's probably more technically proficient/impressive drummers out there, but not only is Gene an incredibly accomplished and precise drummer, he has insane endurance. Hell, he played for both Strapping Young Lad and Opeth during most of the Sounds of the Underground tour back in '05.

And he was much heavier (literally) then than he is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Much like Devin Townsend, I've never really been a fan of the bands that Gene Hoglan has been in, except for some of the Testament stuff. But holy poo poo do I respect them both as people and musicians.