Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It never fails to amuse when people look at the little details because the greater context is too clear and too terrible, especially when they find new and terrible revelations.

not gonna lie, this doesn't really seem like something one should find amusement in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I Said No posted:

not gonna lie, this doesn't really seem like something one should find amusement in

I think/hope Ghost Leviathan means the anime wedding picture, where it's substantially more comforting to get into discussion of the "groom"'s suit than anything else that's happening

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Jesus Christ, that is goddamn depressing. (Whatever went down with Dave, that is, not the wedding picture, which is just the ordinary kind of depressing we're used to.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Antivehicular posted:

I think/hope Ghost Leviathan means the anime wedding picture, where it's substantially more comforting to get into discussion of the "groom"'s suit than anything else that's happening

Well obviously. Dave case seems to be that we lack much context besides a few terrible details.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Yikes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So wait, the car guy was a rapist? I somehow missed that whole thing because I was busy staring at lapels.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
apparently so. and extra hosed mainly because AI is one of the genuinely cool and good places to post about car stuff without getting a bunch of elitist car snob bullshit thrown at you. :smithfrog: its loving bullshit.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Also, IIRC, a good number of AI regulars have helped the rapist with various plans to change his (generally chaotic) life situation, because everyone thought he was a decent dude at heart, and now it's clear he isn't. I feel bad for the whole subforum right now.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
When it comes to things like money, cars, people, and time, I take a policy of "neither a borrower or lender be." If I didn't, I'd be even angrier.

The one poster that he was actually living with/on the property with, I feel like so much poo poo even my small part in encouraging it when this began back in 2015. There were multiple gofundme campaigns and similar one-on-one donations and encouragement, over years, and literally driving him a few hours each way to an airport a few times.

Just, like, a really lovely situation overall.

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Feb 15, 2019

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I think everyone had the best of intentions, i will admit this one hit me and ladyfrog pretty loving hard as we both tried to help and really were hoping fucko got his poo poo together. I didn't even tell miss frog about it last night as i knew it would ruin her night. Normally i let stupid forum drama just roll off but this one just feels loving personal, and I hope Tremek and their family are ok.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not really shocked that the multi-relapsing meth-addict nomad with delusional parasitosis did something scummy.

sneakyfrog posted:

I think everyone had the best of intentions

Goons really came together to help that guy. Significant time and resources were spent over a long span of time. What a slap in the face. I hope the victim is getting all the help she (?) needs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sneakyfrog posted:

Normally i let stupid forum drama just roll off but this one just feels loving personal, and I hope Tremek and their family are ok.

No kidding. I bought that fucker a new pair of mocs when he was in that hostel in FL. I had so much hope for him. And now I feel like I wouldn't even cross the street to piss on him if he was on fire.

I just... this is like a kick in the teeth. I now kinda know how my parents felt in my early 20s when they were trying to help me get sober (I mean in terms of broken promises and self sabotage, not felonies)

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I'm not really shocked that the multi-relapsing meth-addict nomad with delusional parasitosis did something scummy.

Well, yeah. But it seemed like he was taking more steps forward than back over time.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Proteus Jones posted:

Well, yeah. But it seemed like he was taking more steps forward than back over time.

That might be true. The problem is that the steps forward are small by nature, whereas you can take biiiig steps backward. I wish he had remained a Goon success story. I prefer those to the ones that end in tragedy.

Edit: vv I didn't trivialize anything. I'm disappointed this ended badly, and I feel bad for his victim, and I feel bad for the Goons who spent their time, effort, and money on him only to have it turn out this way. I'm not shocked that the man who showed so many signs of being a problem case turned out to be a problem case. That doesn't mean I don't think it was worth trying to help him.

Veni Vidi Ameche! has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Feb 16, 2019

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah dude but seriously. dont trivialize second chances. some folks deserve em, others dont. sometimes its hard to tell. just try not to poo poo so hard on yes everyone knew was not exactly the smartest cause but a lot of folks did anyway just to be loving solid and cool and hey maybe we do a good thing

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just saying its effort to try to stay soft. cynical assholes just suck its not like its easier to be idealistic as you get older

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

That might be true. The problem is that the steps forward are small by nature, whereas you can take biiiig steps backward. I wish he had remained a Goon success story. I prefer those to the ones that end in tragedy.

Edit: vv I didn't trivialize anything. I'm disappointed this ended badly, and I feel bad for his victim, and I feel bad for the Goons who spent their time, effort, and money on him only to have it turn out this way. I'm not shocked that the man who showed so many signs of being a problem case turned out to be a problem case. That doesn't mean I don't think it was worth trying to help him.

I don't that much more can be said than that.
It sucks that what happened, well, happened, but everyone involved in trying to help him out was doing everything for the right reasons. People here were genuinely his friends and wanted to see him do better, because we knew he could do better.

I mean, yeah, there were some missteps along the way, some hard times and some backslides, but this....was pretty out of left field, at least to me. It really sucks that what had been such a success story just evaporated in an instant. But that doesn't reflect badly on the people involved. I mean, poo poo, I still supported him when very few here still did. I bought him that Greyhound ticket out of Seattle, because I knew he could be pulled out of the pit he was in.

And honestly, this whole thing has been really hard to process. It's really the first time I've had a friend do something so beyond the pale like this, and it's just like gently caress man.
Everything gone, just like that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm struggling too. I helped him out too, not to anything like the extent some of you and esp. tremek, but a little. I keep trying to reconcile the person I thought he was - a fuckup, frequently, self-destructive of course, psychologically damaged for sure, but genuinely protective and caring for everyone else - with what he's done now and how badly I must have misjudged his character. And I can't. I have to admit that I simply can't quite put it together. I just... don't understand how or why someone who is otherwise a good person does something of their own volition that is so nakedly hurtful and harmful and wrong.

I guess I just feel sorry and angry and pretty helpless about it. Dunno if it even helps to post that.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wish I had more words of comfort to offer. All I can say, though, as someone who's only seen this from the outside, is that you guys went above and beyond for someone who needed your help. He turned out not to deserve your help, and I'm so sorry it turned out that way, but it doesn't diminish the kindness and love of the community, and I hope you remain proud of that kindness.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I noticed the other day that he'd closed his thread and was worried... gently caress, this is terrible.

During Nebraska 1, I was the goonette that sent him care packages with homemade hot sauce. His videos of him doing straight shots of it led to me branding one carrot-based habanero flavor as 14" Carrot Gold and selling a ton to AI goons. I was between jobs, so all those goon sales helped keep me afloat for a bit. I always thought it was cool that we mutually helped each other out in our own goony way.

When he was in FL, everyone told him to head to Key West. I talked to my father who lives there and, with his blessing, gave Dave his phone number and email. My father had struggled with addiction in the past, loves cars, and is a firm believer in giving second (third, fourth...) chances to people. He was gonna hook him up with a bike-wrenching job and resources for a place to live, etc. My father met up with him before he got run out of KW by the cops, and still occasionally asks about him. I think if he comes up when dad and I chatting, I'm gonna say "oh, he got banned from the forums, not sure what he's up to" --- not exactly a lie.

My heart goes out to everyone who helped out even more personally/financially. I was only tangentially involved in this saga, and it stings. I can't imagine what Tremek, Sims, and everyone else is going through. :(

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Goons really came together to help that guy. Significant time and resources were spent over a long span of time. What a slap in the face.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

That was an elaborate prank one guy was waaaay worked up over despite not ordering a shirt. Everyone got what they ordered, McNally was just a trolling genius.

What Dave did was hosed as hell, but what goons did for him is still awesome and reminds me why I post here. It’s a community that can and will come together for a cause. Sometimes it’s Dave’s, or Doobies, but there’s also the times it sent a bunch of people in Iraq body armor, or sent a bunch of girls to school on Haiti. poo poo like that is why I’ll keep posting on this dead gay website to the bitter end.

E: and when I say what they did was
Awesome I just mean in terms of goodwill turning to actual effort. The end result was hosed up. Just want to make the disclaimer.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That was an elaborate prank one guy was waaaay worked up over despite not ordering a shirt.
He's the guy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dang, I just remembered I still have my jar of 14" Carrot Gold jam in the cupboard. I should probably eat that soon.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I mean, for what it's worth, I don't regret what I did for Dave.
He needed help, and, as a community, we did our best to help him out, and it really seemed like it would.
Obviously it didn't, but, everything we did, we did for the right reasons.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Ghostlight posted:

He's the guy.

What's the story of that image anyway, I keep seeing it and I don't know (probably covered earlier in thread so let me know if it is, and I'll go there :) )

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Slippery posted:

What's the story of that image anyway, I keep seeing it and I don't know (probably covered earlier in thread so let me know if it is, and I'll go there :) )

Their was a GiP shirt project led by McNally. He sent a XXXL with a photo of him doing finger guns to a friend and told them to act like it was the actual poo poo.

Most of GiP got a laugh out of it. Veni Vidi got really mad about scamming.

The shirts actually went out, and Veni got an av of McNally finger gunning.

McNally has actually been through a lot and is a gold star family guy so it was great seeing him stunt like that. He’s a cool dude and I wish he hasn’t been through what he’s been through.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Slippery posted:

here's the goldmined thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854490

there was a GIP community t-shirt thing going on, where if you paid McNally like 10 bucks, you'd get a shirt

at some point he cooked up a scheme with a couple of other goons, where they would print fake shirts with mcnally's face on it and pretend it was the shirt mcnally sent, and then troll the thread pretending that McNally sent McNally shirts to everyone instead of the original design

it went off without a hitch and a lot of people got really mad (well really that Veni Vedi Vince guy) and laughed at the fake shirt...and then got the actual real shirt and it was all good

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Slippery posted:

McNally (GiP poster) was putting together a t-shirt run that a bunch of goons got in on. It was like a military campaign shirt but for Operation: Useless Dirt, c. 2001-???? The shirts took a long time to go out to everyone, and the first one that was received had that enormous picture of him in his dress uniform as opposed to the picture everyone thought they were getting. The one guy who got the shirt posted it and everyone dogpiled McNally, who got banned for it. Then the shirts started arriving for other goons with the right picture on them, and he was unbanned, and it turned out it was all a prank and (I think) the first goon to receive it was in on it.

It's almost certainly in this thread if you search on McNally but I'm phone posting and can't seem to find it.

Edit: comprehensively beaten.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The whole McNally shirt saga is one of the greatest goon pranks ever, and I say that as someone who bought one of the shirts. A goon melting down about it in a completely different subforum was just the icing on the cake.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Memento posted:

McNally (GiP poster) was putting together a t-shirt run that a bunch of goons got in on. It was like a military campaign shirt but for Operation: Useless Dirt, c. 2001-???? The shirts took a long time to go out to everyone, and the first one that was received had that enormous picture of him in his dress uniform as opposed to the picture everyone thought they were getting. The one guy who got the shirt posted it and everyone dogpiled McNally, who got banned for it. Then the shirts started arriving for other goons with the right picture on them, and he was unbanned, and it turned out it was all a prank and (I think) the first goon to receive it was in on it.

It's almost certainly in this thread if you search on McNally but I'm phone posting and can't seem to find it.

Basically the best goon prank since P-p-powerbook

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
McNally was never banned or anything because he'd told the GiP mods about the prank beforehand and they (rightly) thought it was hilarious.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
Wow, thank you all so much for taking the time to type all that out, I really appreciate that backstory!

I used to post in GiP a lot and then got super busy for a while and popped back in just in time to see that shirt sale and even got one :) sadly not the McNally-faced one.

Anyway thanks again for the recap!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Slippery posted:

Wow, thank you all so much for taking the time to type all that out, I really appreciate that backstory!

I used to post in GiP a lot and then got super busy for a while and popped back in just in time to see that shirt sale and even got one :) sadly not the McNally-faced one.

Anyway thanks again for the recap!

TBQH, GiP is anxious for your return Slippery. You're a legend there.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

I don't that much more can be said than that.
It sucks that what happened, well, happened, but everyone involved in trying to help him out was doing everything for the right reasons. People here were genuinely his friends and wanted to see him do better, because we knew he could do better.

I mean, yeah, there were some missteps along the way, some hard times and some backslides, but this....was pretty out of left field, at least to me. It really sucks that what had been such a success story just evaporated in an instant. But that doesn't reflect badly on the people involved. I mean, poo poo, I still supported him when very few here still did. I bought him that Greyhound ticket out of Seattle, because I knew he could be pulled out of the pit he was in.

And honestly, this whole thing has been really hard to process. It's really the first time I've had a friend do something so beyond the pale like this, and it's just like gently caress man.
Everything gone, just like that.

nobody should feel bad for trying to help this guy, it was a good thing you all did even if he turned out not to have deserved any of it

this is nobody's fault but his

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

loving love it when yet another avenue of escapism is ruined because now it, too, reminds me of being sexually assaulted :thumbsup:

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Same. :smith:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Memento posted:

The ban (and subsequent unban) was also planned ahead as part of the prank, I remember discussing it briefly with a GiP mod before it went through.

edit: nvm, explained above

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

The ban (and subsequent unban) was also planned ahead as part of the prank, I remember discussing it briefly with a GiP mod before it went through.

Can we all just come together to hope to one day be as awesome as McNally?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's details like these that make a great prank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, folks deserve more second chances. There's no connection between suffering from addiction and being a sexual predator, and coming together to help one dude kick the habit and get his life together didn't have to lead to what actually happened. Sometimes people you show love to just aren't worth it, that's no reason to stop loving. Sigh, such a lovely thing to happen, condolences to everyone directly affected, esp. Tremek and Sims.