Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

That Old Tree posted:

So…most of his action on this front is either reply-tweets or tweets from his alt for his defunct Escapist series.

Nothing that shows up directly on his main account. Nothing on his actual blog.

I guess that needle moved.

He doesn't want to give it any more prominence and risk 'damaging' his brand, at the same time he has to try and control it so he's doing it behind the scenes as much as he can. I think that 3 days of waiting, and not acting until after Viveka's account had dropped has killed his chance to shape the narrative now though. 3k+ tweets (or was it more?) in one day all saying he's an abuser, and being discussed on every major tabletop site/place to talk about nerd stuff has meant that's the takeaway for people, even people who didn't know who he was now only know him as a rapist and an abuser.

Of course he'll keep trying to chip away at it and make it all about him again, and raggi's certainly not going to cut ties, add in gencon not banning him and this will run for a while before he's squeezed out entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

While it shouldn't take all this, it's early enough and their initial response was vague-but-favorable enough I wouldn't count out GenCon eventually being shamed into the right decision.

Mearls has made his, and thus D&D's, bed, though. That poo poo's going to lay on the floor until he gets fired or some new round of horrors happens after everyone forgets the current nightmare.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 15, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Gencon didn't exactly say they weren't banning him.

I mean, they didn't say anything.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

moths posted:

That's a wrong decision.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

moths posted:

Well they said they investigated.

And....err..umm...
--

A small game convention in the UK has banned any games written by Zak from being used there

http://furnace.org.uk/

quote:

We consider Zak Smith’s work where he was primary author (including Vornheim, Maze of the Blue Medusa, Red & Pleasant Land, Frostbitten and Mutilated, and Demon City)[6] to be inappropriate to be part of the game schedule, as we will not accept material that promotes an individual identified as an abuser by multiple people. While we have no issue with people who decide to play Zak’s games as a personal choice, we feel that they do not promote the community ethos that we seek to achieve at our conventions.

PST fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 15, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think they're intentionally leaving themselves open to ban him at community request instead of making a decision themselves.

Because if they actually acted on their policy, there's a lot more people they'd need to ban.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

MachineIV posted:

FWIW, I've talked to a few people about it. I've now heard four different stories now about how and when I supposedly doxed Rose. I've heard now that I've doxed her and deadnamed her on RPGsite or 4chan or Kiwifarms, depending on the version of the story. I've heard I posted her personal information on Craigslist. I've heard I gave people her phone number and told people to harass her at a convention. I've also heard that I gave her information to Zak.

I won’t claim to really know you, outside of your social media presence and via your work on NWoD, but I feel that I have a strong enough sense of your character to know you wouldn’t doxx Rose Bailey of all people. The thought that you’d give stuff to Zak is outright absurd.

The OPP Vs Former Freelancers Saga is so weird and I take most things I hear with an initial grain of salt. So much of what I hear makes me go “wait, what?”

I’m pretty sure there’s some bad actors out there spouting bullshit and I cringe anytime I read one of these outrageous claims or see Holden pipe up with “So, apparently...”

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

moths posted:

I think they're intentionally leaving themselves open to ban him at community request instead of making a decision themselves.

Because if they actually acted on their policy, there's a lot more people they'd need to ban.

Sounds like they should get to work, then.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

this isn't a dig at you obviously, but this is sort of like the elfgames version of "if we forced out a politician for doing X, we'd have no politicians left"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

If they can ban Jeremy "TheQuartering" Hambly mostly for being a dumbass and fabricating an assault report surely they can ban Zak.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

PST posted:

Also here's GenCon's bullshit statement

https://twitter.com/Gen_Con/status/1096118847357169665

Or...we're not doing anything, but we don't want to say we're not doing anything, so we're trying to hide that.

This is what an actual statement that legal signed off on looks like. Bland and completely meaningless. They could do anything or nothing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

If they can ban Jeremy "TheQuartering" Hambly mostly for being a dumbass and fabricating an assault report surely they can ban Zak.

Didn't they also ban the guy he claimed to have been assaulted by?

And yeah, don't get me wrong. They really do need to start clearing the weeds in this industry, and Gencon is in an ideal position to do it.

Add in that you'd have "sympathy boycotts" from the hobby's worst elements. Suddenly Gencon starts looking even better, safer, and more respectable.

I don't think they'll actually move on anything until pushed, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

Didn't they also ban the guy he claimed to have been assaulted by?

As far as I know, although he certainly hasn't been as vocal about it as Hambly. And if we're being honest, I think it was mostly so GenCon didn't want to have to deal with it at all.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

BrainParasite posted:

This is what an actual statement that legal signed off on looks like. Bland and completely meaningless. They could do anything or nothing.

It also might not even be about Zak. It could be about Matt McFarland. Or, I don’t know, the Snuffulupogas.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Mors Rattus posted:

It also might not even be about Zak. It could be about Matt McFarland. Or, I don’t know, the Snuffulupogas.

Snuffy doesn't deserve that either!!!!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

EDIT: This joke was in poor taste and I changed my mind and removed it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The latest update for the Thousand Arrows Kickstarter came with a Valentimes gift: "May I play a character from another race?" It's good and worth sharing.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

homullus posted:

The latest update for the Thousand Arrows Kickstarter came with a Valentimes gift: "May I play a character from another race?" It's good and worth sharing.

Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Same! That's good stuff.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dawgstar posted:

Hot take that was just the final straw and stated reason, Hamboy is a piece of poo poo who drove at least one prominent member out of the MTG community prior to that

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Hot take that was just the final straw and stated reason, Hamboy is a piece of poo poo who drove at least one prominent member out of the MTG community prior to that

Hamboy is an enormous piece of poo poo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Liquid Communism posted:

Hamboy is an enormous piece of poo poo.

Incredibly aware

The personalities who came out against him did a lot to sway public opinion, because generally they we're all people that folks liked, so good on them for speaking out

Also apparently wedge comes to my shop a few times a year and I never noticed because I don't watch YouTube about magic lmao

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Of course, that's what makes this particular incident so clear-cut. Zak has been an rear end in a top hat and a bully for years, I wasn't surprised by Mandy's horrible recount of their relationship one bit.

If it looks like poo poo, smells like poo poo, and someone walks over it and carries it around for years then turns around and says she stepped on Zak, you can assume it's poo poo.

Zak is poo poo, is what I'm trying to say.

Anyone defending him smells like poo poo, too. Possibly literally, considering the hobby.

It turns out, the S was not for Sucks... it was for poo poo.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Incredibly aware

The personalities who came out against him did a lot to sway public opinion, because generally they we're all people that folks liked, so good on them for speaking out

Also apparently wedge comes to my shop a few times a year and I never noticed because I don't watch YouTube about magic lmao
In fairness wedge is one of the more boring mtg youtube duders.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
emmy allen's got a zakpost up, and it ends with a (final) chat she had with him after he posted his rebuttal.

"do you not see how that leads to everyone getting punched? i mean: that's storygames." -- zak s

Or, as she puts it, "Willingness to admit fault? Pacifism? Contrition? Mercy? That's bad. That's storygames."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
As per this thread, Gen Con is actively trying to suppress anything about Zak S so they can continue to host and protect him.

https://twitter.com/TravisLegge/status/1096485697014382593

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ProfessorCirno posted:

As per this thread, Gen Con is actively trying to suppress anything about Zak S so they can continue to host and protect him.

That's not what's going on in that thread at all.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Toshimo posted:

Uh...and what do you think is going on in that thread, then?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"Hey guys we realize this is a contentious issue so instEAD TALK ABOUT TORTLE MINIS!"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If someone interrupted my product demo to ask me about something another part of my company was responsible for, I'd tell them to go contact our PR team or the contact for that portion of the company. There's zero chance I'd engage them in any way because that's not how the world works. Anyone who tells you otherwise is an idiot or a liar.

Brigading a Twitch stream from unrelated people at GenCon was never going to get you an answer about Zak, ya dingus.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Brigading a Twitch stream from unrelated people at GenCon was never going to get you an answer about Zak, ya dingus.

You're right, no one should do anything to draw attention to a company doing something lovely, they should just stay quiet and absolutely not try and draw attention to it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

While this isn't the best venue to ask them at it was the venue provided since their twitter response has been negligible to non-existant. If they didn't go into this stream ready to provide some kind of answer that's their own damned mistake.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Toshimo posted:

If someone interrupted my product demo to ask me about something another part of my company was responsible for, I'd tell them to go contact our PR team or the contact for that portion of the company. There's zero chance I'd engage them in any way because that's not how the world works. Anyone who tells you otherwise is an idiot or a liar.

You can sincerely engage it without making a definite statement and say that you don't have any control over it. You can come up with a better plan than "delete and move on". Even if the deletion isn't intended to protect Zak, it's a very bad look. Leave the protest in so people know what's going on.

This is the risk you take when you do things as a corporate entity.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
why are all of you out here in the street, don't you know we vote every few years???

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

90s Cringe Rock posted:

emmy allen's got a zakpost up, and it ends with a (final) chat she had with him after he posted his rebuttal.

"do you not see how that leads to everyone getting punched? i mean: that's storygames." -- zak s

Or, as she puts it, "Willingness to admit fault? Pacifism? Contrition? Mercy? That's bad. That's storygames."

What the gently caress does that even mean?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
You didn't answer my question. Let's try this again.

ProfessorCirno posted:

https://twitter.com/TravisLegge/status/1096485697014382593

Toshimo posted:

What do you think is going on in that thread, then?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

LongDarkNight posted:

What the gently caress does that even mean?

That admitting that you're at fault is one of those pussy things that games that aren't based around the d20 do. Apparently.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I have to admit that while I'm glad she's calling Zak S out, I don't come away with a particularly positive view of this person from that post.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I have to admit that while I'm glad she's calling Zak S out, I don't come away with a particularly positive view of this person from that post.

Is there a link to this at all, because just googling 'emmy allen' isn't helpful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

PST posted:

Is there a link to this at all, because just googling 'emmy allen' isn't helpful

http://cavegirlgames.blogspot.com/2019/02/thoughts-on-zaklash-personal-stuff.html

EDIT: Regarding my earlier comment, not to the point where I feel like any kind of action is warranted, but I'd be wary of them in shared social circles.