Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cerepol posted:

I don't understand the point of the message tbh. I can't do poo poo about it and am very far away in London...

He and the kid weren't where they were supposed to be six hours before the alert went out, which does raise questions, but not the one you're thinking of.

e: it also worked

quote:

Const. Akhil Mooken said early Friday that officers gathered information needed for Ontario Provincial Police to issue an Amber Alert, which went out shortly after 11:30 p.m. Officials asked for anyone who spotted the vehicle to contact 911.

Mooken said a member of the public spotted the vehicle and called police. Ontario Provincial Police officers in the central part of the province arrested the man and took him to the service’s Orillia detachment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zapplez posted:

You are a fucktard.

No, I’m not. They used the emergency blaring alert noise that’s guaranteed to get your attention and stress you out. This noise cannot be muted or turned down. They used this noise late at night when most people are sleeping or getting ready to sleep - and are certainly not looking out for vehicles on the 401.

As someone with multiple sleep disorders, I was lucky to only be preparing to sleep when the messages came through. I was winding down and could settle after the alerts. Had I been asleep, I woulda have had my sleep for the night ruined. It would have taken me multiple hours to get back to sleep. If I can. In the worst case scenario, not just my sleep but my sleep schedule would be ruined for weeks, and would take incredible effort to restore to a normal pattern. So one message - just this one message - can ruin my life for weeks.

And I’m just one person. What about swing shift workers? There are a multitude of people who already go to great lengths to protect their health, to guard precious sleep against a million things in our society that would injure their health. It’s very easy to say that this was minor, but there are a shitload of us trying to live our lives for which an emergency signal like this is extremely deleterious.

This emergency message power by the police is new. They should have some understanding of the effects it can cause, and the responsibility they have. But ACAB anyway so lol. They could have sent out a silent message.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Arivia posted:

No, I’m not. They used the emergency blaring alert noise that’s guaranteed to get your attention and stress you out. This noise cannot be muted or turned down

My phone was in vibrate mode and made no noise. My wife's was in silent mode and did nothing at all.

quote:

. They used this noise late at night when most people are sleeping or getting ready to sleep - and are certainly not looking out for vehicles on the 401.

And yet, it was a member of the public who found him.

quote:

As someone with multiple sleep disorders, I was lucky to only be preparing to sleep when the messages came through. I was winding down and could settle after the alerts. Had I been asleep, I woulda have had my sleep for the night ruined. It would have taken me multiple hours to get back to sleep. If I can. In the worst case scenario, not just my sleep but my sleep schedule would be ruined for weeks, and would take incredible effort to restore to a normal pattern. So one message - just this one message - can ruin my life for weeks.

As someone whose phone has multiple ways to turn it off, I

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cerepol posted:

I don't understand the point of the message tbh. I can't do poo poo about it and am very far away in London...

Is it too give me more news about awful poo poo that happens every day, that I desperately try to avoid as I'm working on my brain problems?

I think the idea is fine but the execution is bad.

If the person who just kidnapped the kid is saying they are going to flee the area, you really don't know where they are going to end up. The system doesnt work by just selecting area codes. Its province wide or nothing. And in the circumstance where they actually use the alert system, they have genuine belief the child is in danger. This isn't for regular child custody disputes between parents, which are reported in the hundreds daily. This is for true emergencies where the child is at serious risk.

They were right.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arivia posted:

No, I’m not. They used the emergency blaring alert noise that’s guaranteed to get your attention and stress you out. This noise cannot be muted or turned down. They used this noise late at night when most people are sleeping or getting ready to sleep - and are certainly not looking out for vehicles on the 401.

And I’m just one person. What about swing shift workers? There are a multitude of people who already go to great lengths to protect their health, to guard precious sleep against a million things in our society that would injure their health. It’s very easy to say that this was minor, but there are a shitload of us trying to live our lives for which an emergency signal like this is extremely deleterious.

This emergency message power by the police is new. They should have some understanding of the effects it can cause, and the responsibility they have. But ACAB anyway so lol. They could have sent out a silent message.

You are in fact, still a fucktard. This monster killed that kid.

And the reason he was arrested? His car was seen by a random person who recognized it from that alert. He is arrested because of the alert system.

edit: And I have a diagnosed sleep disorder and I am shift worker, but I can handle a little inconvenience if it might save a kids life you fucktard.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Arivia posted:

Sleep stuff

Hey not to mansplain or anything like that, but I thought it was odd that someone with a serious and easily exacerbated sleep disorder doesn’t power off their phone every night. Why not dude/dudette?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Getting woken up by an alert does suck, but I'm pretty sure that "we urgently need help to possibly save a child's life" is an acceptable reason to send out such an alert, and I say this as someone who usually has to wake up at around 4:30 for work these days.

The alert system didn't work as well as we needed it to -- the kid is dead -- but at least the cowardly fucker who allegedly did it got arrested because of it instead of having more time to escape. I mean, sorry that the alert system can't divine who is sleeping and who is not, but I think it seems pretty valuable even if it inconvenienced you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

madmatt112 posted:

Hey not to mansplain or anything like that, but I thought it was odd that someone with a serious and easily exacerbated sleep disorder doesn’t power off their phone every night. Why not dude/dudette?

Do you have any idea what you've just done?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Arivia posted:

This is an insanely bad take and I am just going to assume you didn't follow the story at all and don't realize you are arguing that you not getting txt msgs is more important than that girl dying. Maybe read the news story and your view on all this might change?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

madmatt112 posted:

I use the automatic sleep timer functionality on my phone. Because of my delayed sleep phase disorder, I need a bunch of alarms in addition to practicing good sleep hygiene. I’m using my phone to aid in some other medical stuff going on right now right before bed as well. I’d put my phone down for the night and was reading the Canadian classic Bear when the alarm went out.

Ideally, you’re right, my phone would be in another room. As it stands, that’s not possible for me right now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Come on Arivia, you're better than this. :(

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

patonthebach posted:

This is an insanely bad take and I am just going to assume you didn't follow the story at all and don't realize you are arguing that you not getting txt msgs is more important than that girl dying. Maybe read the news story and your view on all this might change?

No, I’ve read it. I’m just wishing they sent out a silent alert instead of the full on nuclear war alert. Calling an Amber Alert was completely justified. The police should have been more responsible in their response, is all.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's some lazy red text, doesn't even have a funny picture.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm pretty sure if they were having a discussion about the responsibility of sending out a loud alert, "we need to try and save this little girl" would win out over "but what if some people are asleep?"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Be it resolved that the police should've held back in their attempt to find a child they knew was about to be killed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Meanwhile, police said 911 operators were busy fielding complaints early Friday from people who received the Amber Alert.

“We appreciate and understand that some members of the public may have been affected by the noise and the tones that are provided by the Amber alert,” Mooken said.

“But we certainly hope they understand that the Amber Alert program is designed for us to locate children that may have been abducted whether by parent or some other person. We essentially hope they understand the slight inconvenience this might have caused them.”

Hey guys at least Arivia probably didn't call 911 to complain about this.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Hey guys at least Arivia probably didn't call 911 to complain about this.

No of course not. That’s what dead gay forums are for. :v:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arivia posted:

No, I’ve read it. I’m just wishing they sent out a silent alert instead of the full on nuclear war alert. Calling an Amber Alert was completely justified. The police should have been more responsible in their response, is all.

AFAIK they can't. I don't think there's a graduated response emergency alert system, it's just the one type of all-overriding alert.

In theory they could blanket SMS spam everyone with 416/647/289/905 numbers, but presumably they don't have the infrastructure available to do that, they do have this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Aug 17, 1973

Unbelievable how long stupid sticks around.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Arivia posted:

Well in that case that you still thought it was worth arguing about when the kid died... get help?

But on a practical note, you are going to receive dozens more of these over the next few years. So if they affect you this seriously, you should change something. I received the special pop up but I didnt have a loud siren (my phone was on DND) and I am on Telus on a Samsung phone. Maybe try switching providers or phones? I think Rogers is the one that really has the foghorn for it.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 15, 2019

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I didn't even see the alert till I was getting ready for work - so like, 615AM central. iPhone on silent mode with Rogers.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

AFAIK they can't. I don't think there's a graduated response emergency alert system, it's just the one type of all-overriding alert.

In theory they could blanket SMS spam everyone with 416/647/289/905 numbers, but presumably they don't have the infrastructure available to do that, they do have this.

Well that’s stupid. But in that case I retract my argument, getting the Amber Alert out is crucial.

Also I had my iPhone on silent. I’m with Telus, and it still went off at full volume.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

My friend in California got a Silver Alert on his phone the other day which is for missing seniors with cognitive problems (dementia, etc.). So it can be expanded.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Dunno why they don't just go with anti theft tags on their shoes. Wandering dementia patients is a problem retailers solved in the eighties.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Do Canadian carriers not have this setting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Nope

https://www.thestar.com/business/2018/03/21/canadians-will-soon-get-emergency-alerts-on-their-mobile-phones.html posted:

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) gave wireless providers a year to implement the system with a deadline of April 6 to be ready to go live. A report by the CRTC said most wireless providers were in favour of an opt-out option or the ability to disable the alarm for some types of alerts, but consumers can’t turn off the warnings.

“People cannot opt out of this,” said CRTC spokesperson Patricia Valladao. “There is a high importance that people — want it or not — receive these alerts.”

If a smartphone is turned off, it cannot be forced on by an alert. Similarly, if a smartphone is muted an alert cannot force the device to play the alarm. While a broad range of popular phones are compatible with the program, wireless providers have released different lists of phones that will receive the alerts on their networks. Consumers can look up their phone and more information on the program at alertready.ca.

Patrick Tanguy, an assistant deputy minister with Public Safety Canada, said while it was ultimately the CRTC’s decision to keep consumers from having the option of opting out, he defended that call.

“When you’re getting those alerts your life is at risk,” Tanguy said. “So it’s not there’s potentially a danger, there is a danger.”

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sounds like y'all should try a little thing called "freedom".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well, TBF, we can't opt out because it wasn't meant to be used for loving amber alerts in the fist place.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, really, how can I disable emergency alerts? Do I need to jailbreak my phone?

EngineerJoe posted:

My friend in California got a Silver Alert on his phone the other day which is for missing seniors with cognitive problems (dementia, etc.). So it can be expanded.

Oh, jesus, we're gonna start getting these every time some barely-alive Scheer voter wanders off the farm, aren't we? Boomers loving us all over one more time in the name of "SAVING LIVES"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I for one am completely unwilling to bear even the slightest inconvenience to help save the lives of vulnerable people. On another topic, loving selfish boomers, amiright?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Well, TBF, we can't opt out because it wasn't meant to be used for loving amber alerts in the fist place.

I’m not surprised the cops jumped at the first chance they got to use everyone’s phone as their personal megaphones.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jesus loving christ, y'all.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Posts like these make me loving grateful for global warming induced extinction because we’re just so loving petty as a species that a sleep interrupting amber alert is too much

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

I for one am completely unwilling to bear even the slightest inconvenience to help save the lives of vulnerable people. On another topic, loving selfish boomers, amiright?

You do understand why people are angry about this right? This was pitched to the public as an emergency disaster response system, it was specifically stated that if it was in use, you were in imminent danger. While Amber alerts are important they are not at all what the system was sold to the public as. Having the ability to blast notifications to an entire province should be used sparingly, thus far the only two times the system has been used, it's been for an Amber alert.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

You do understand why people are angry about this right? This was pitched to the public as an emergency disaster response system, it was specifically stated that if it was in use, you were in imminent danger. While Amber alerts are important they are not at all what the system was sold to the public as. Having the ability to blast notifications to an entire province should be used sparingly, thus far the only two times the system has been used, it's been for an Amber alert.

No, honestly I don't understand why people are angry about this. Alerts for kidnapped children or dementia patients who have wandered off and are lost, constitute a reasonable response to an imminent danger to human life. You aren't being ordered to get out of bed and mobilize to look for them; your phone makes a noise. I don't really have a problem with that.

EDIT: I mean I guess you could split hairs between "an imminent danger to you/everyone" and "an imminent danger to some person nearby requiring public assistance" but I think it's still well within the scope of a reasonable use of the system.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I think there are probably issues with the amber alert emergency system on our phones, and that we shouldn't just blindly accept that the government/police services have a direct line onto our phones with an emergency alert system that goes off once every 3 months or so.

The problem is that it's about missing kids right? It's like someone asking you if you support torture or not, and you say no, but they say what if you could stop 9/11. There's so much moral panic around the issue, that it's hard to think things though without ~emotions~ dominating the conversation. Like whoever gave Ariva the red text, do you really think Ariva doesn't care about missing children? You're just like abusing the fact that you think that you have the moral high ground to shout at someone, and that's dumb.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Are you taking a stance that, say, an Amber alert should not be silenced by a Do Not Disturb setting? That seems weirdly strong!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Let's put it this way, if it was intended that this be used for missing persons notifications and Amber alerts, why wasn't that explained when the system was being implemented? Why lie about the reason for it's use?

quote:

“When you’re getting those alerts your life is at risk,” Tanguy said.

Except not, so you know...

PT6A posted:

EDIT: I mean I guess you could split hairs between "an imminent danger to you/everyone" and "an imminent danger to some person nearby requiring public assistance" but I think it's still well within the scope of a reasonable use of the system.

Yes, you could split hairs because one is the literal meaning of what they said, and the other is not.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 15, 2019

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Also, I hate to sound cold, but the reality is this amber alert wasn't a success. The father was found in a residence he was probably renting with his daughter who he killed. Though police say the amber alert lead to his arrest, the point of an amber alert is to find a kid alive. We gained no utility out of it this one time, and it isn't really the job of the amber alert to crowdsource a manhunt for one dude either.

Its about casting a wide net so that people exiting province or hiding with kidnapped kids get caught. He literally took her home to kill her, so the benefits of an amber alert are narrow in this case but the people affected in calling one are widespread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It raises some questions about the timing of the amber alert as well. It was hours after she was reported missing, but evidently before they checked his residence? I'm unclear on the timeline for this, or I probably have some details confused.