Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The anime had a short new scene at the end with Diavolo and a sort of a teaser of King Crimson's powers

Which I guess confirms he can directly interact with stuff in the erased time

Good to see that it's still as confusing as ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

tiistai posted:

The anime had a short new scene at the end with Diavolo and a sort of a teaser of King Crimson's powers

Wait I thought he explicitly couldn't do that from the manga :psyduck:

e: or was it just attacking he couldn't do? Whatever

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Honestly I still don't understand what King Crimson does, despite it apparently being entirely clear in the good translation. Do people act inside erased time only to forget their actions or are they frozen mannequins whilst the natural world moves around them? And if they're acting and Diavlo is acting what's stopping them from percieving Diavlo other than him being arbitarily intangible? And if they're not acting what does King Crimson actually do other than let Diavlo get behind people to punch them?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Not surprising that they would change how King Crimson works, it's power has been different in every adaptation it's appeared in. I personally like how it looks in one of the cutscenes in Eyes of Heaven where the world blinks red and things teleport around instantly. Hopefully the full depiction in the anime is cool so we can get another one of those "Outside [blank]'s World" videos.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think we ever got a look at how Diavolo perceives King Crimson's power though, did we?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Arist posted:

Wait I thought he explicitly couldn't do that from the manga :psyduck:

e: or was it just attacking he couldn't do? Whatever

I don't think it was ever explicit, but seeing how often he could have done it yet didn't it seems like the obvious conclusion

There are some oddities even with that though, like how Narancia in Giorno's body was killed

Augus posted:

The best comparison I’ve seen is that King Crimson is like tearing out a page of a book. The events on that page still happen but only Diavolo can read the page.

vv I figured it's more like the events on the missing page in a manner of speaking didn't happen (or more accurately were erased) but the next page is still the same it would've been

tiistai fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 15, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

multijoe posted:

Honestly I still don't understand what King Crimson does, despite it apparently being entirely clear in the good translation. Do people act inside erased time only to forget their actions or are they frozen mannequins whilst the natural world moves around them? And if they're acting and Diavlo is acting what's stopping them from percieving Diavlo other than him being arbitarily intangible? And if they're not acting what does King Crimson actually do other than let Diavlo get behind people to punch them?

They keep moving for that period of time doing whatever they were about to do as if nothing special was going on. Then when the time is up they get amnesia of what happened in that time. Diavolo is the only one who knows what’s going on, and can use Epitaph to see what is going to happen while King Crimson is active, so he can position himself in an advantageous situation while everyone else is essentially on auto-pilot and can’t react or even perceive what he’s up to

The best comparison I’ve seen is that King Crimson is like tearing out a page of a book. The events on that page still happen but only Diavolo can read the page.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Augus posted:

They keep moving for that period of time doing whatever they were about to do as if nothing special was going on. Then when the time is up they get amnesia of what happened in that time. Diavolo is the only one who knows what’s going on, and can use Epitaph to see what is going to happen while King Crimson is active, so he can position himself in an advantageous situation while everyone else is essentially on auto-pilot and can’t react or even perceive what he’s up to

But then why does Narancia's ice cream melt along with all the other time related mishaps during Bruno vs King Crimson? If they were on auto-pilot he'd just have a licked ice cream without memory of eating it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah Ephitaph is the big part of King Crimson that I forget about, allowing Diavolo to see the future is what makes skipping time a practical power

also not sure i totally get how White Album Gently Weeps works but i love it, i love mista

e: i thought this bit was in white album but it's not. i guess it has to be green day/oasis then?

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 15, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tiistai posted:

No it doesn't. It just shows him vanishing after dropping his robe or whatever.

multijoe posted:

But then why does Narancia's ice cream melt along with all the other time related mishaps during Bruno vs King Crimson? If they were on auto-pilot he'd just have a licked ice cream without memory of eating it.

Because they can't perceive anything during the erased time. If he was distracted, into doing something else, he would not eat the Ice Cream and would not be able to perceive it melting.

It's the same as when he is killed. Narancia is thrown on the fence, and time is skipped. Because they did not know about him getting tossed on the fence, and wrre not going to do anything about that before the skipped time, they did not do anything about it despite the fact their skipped selves would have noticed it.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 15, 2019

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Augus posted:

You have it backwards. The events that happen in the time skip specifically don't happen, it's a skip not a fast forward.

It really doesn't make sense but the two things i vaguely remember that contradict the events happening are Bruno "dying" in a skip which leaves him in a state of undeath because he never actually died, and i'm pretty sure in the Metallica fight at one point he dodged bullets by skipping forward so the event of them hitting him never happened and they end up behind him.

The best analogy i can think of is a computer dropping packets and getting desynced, then carrying on with what information it has. If you don't get the packet saying that someone dies then they carry on at 0 health.

keep in mind i read this part 6 years ago so i might be completely misremembering it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah Ephitaph is the big part of King Crimson that I forget about, allowing Diavolo to see the future is what makes skipping time a practical power

also not sure i totally get how White Album Gently Weeps works but i love it, i love mista

e: i thought this bit was in white album but it's not. i guess it has to be green day/oasis then?

Yep and it's one of my favorite moments.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ugggghhhh wait now i'm really confused, I thought bruno turned into a zombie because giorno healed him, i guess that explanation makes more sense

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Arist posted:

ugggghhhh wait now i'm really confused, I thought bruno turned into a zombie because giorno healed him, i guess that explanation makes more sense

That might be true, as i said i read the old scans 6 years ago so i might be completely misremembering everything.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I just like to think of it as the guy can see the future and also he can erase people's memories of the past 10 seconds or whatever that he's skipping

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I thought everyone agreed KC is that one Futurama episode with the Globetrotters?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

CJ posted:

You have it backwards. The events that happen in the time skip specifically don't happen, it's a skip not a fast forward.

It really doesn't make sense but the two things i vaguely remember that contradict the events happening are Bruno "dying" in a skip which leaves him in a state of undeath because he never actually died, and i'm pretty sure in the Metallica fight at one point he dodged bullets by skipping forward so the event of them hitting him never happened and they end up behind him.

The best analogy i can think of is a computer dropping packets and getting desynced, then carrying on with what information it has. If you don't get the packet saying that someone dies then they carry on at 0 health.

keep in mind i read this part 6 years ago so i might be completely misremembering it.

It's been a while since I read part 5, but I'm pretty sure everything in the time skip does happen. Like when Mista asks Trish to give him his bullets, but suddenly he already has them. Or Narancia getting impaled without anyone noticing.

Bruno became a zombie because Giorno healed him after he died. And I'm not even sure there is any time skipping in the Metallica fight. Doppio only gets the epitaph.

Terror Sweat posted:

I just like to think of it as the guy can see the future and also he can erase people's memories of the past 10 seconds or whatever that he's skipping

Yeah, that is the most pragmatic way to think about it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Dragonwagon posted:

It's been a while since I read part 5, but I'm pretty sure everything in the time skip does happen. Like when Mista asks Trish to give him his bullets, but suddenly he already has them. Or Narancia getting impaled without anyone noticing.

Bruno became a zombie because Giorno healed him after he died. And I'm not even sure there is any time skipping in the Metallica fight. Doppio only gets the epitaph.

The fight ends by Aerosmith shooting at Doppio from behind And King Crimson makes a time skip so they teleport in front of him. Both of your examples are just things ending up where they should after the skip. If things didn't move then the ability wouldn't do anything, it's jsut the events in the time skip don't take place.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kAMeHVzBA

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The reason the bullets passed through Diavolo is because he can't affect anything in the skipped time, but at the same time, nothing can affect him.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
So he turns into a ghost when he is time skipping?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CJ posted:

So he turns into a ghost when he is time skipping?

Yeah basically.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I feel like it's implicitly only possible for Bruno to be undead because he was imbued with extra life by Gold Experience way, way back when. It's never really called out or anything, but since Bruno's the only person to get the life effect and he's the only one to die but have a long delay of being in an undead state, that it was possibly intentional or just a fun coincidence. Plus, remember, when Giorno heals Bruno it does not work because he was already dead.

I don't think I've seen anyone else mention it, but it sure makes sense to me anyway. :v:

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

CJ posted:

The fight ends by Aerosmith shooting at Doppio from behind And King Crimson makes a time skip so they teleport in front of him. Both of your examples are just things ending up where they should after the skip. If things didn't move then the ability wouldn't do anything, it's jsut the events in the time skip don't take place.

Ok, I'm confused now. What do you mean by events not taking place?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Yeah the events happen, people (not King Crinsom's user) just don't remember them.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
King Crimson is you getting blackout drunk and wondering why you woke up dressed in a clown suit in the back room of a Macy's.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
King Crimson is a series of analogies that progressively make less and less sense

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think it's a Futurama episode?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
King Crimson is like lagging in a online multiplayer game and King Crimson is the guy with the lag switch.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
King Crimson is a serious of metaphors, however, it is like a series of similes

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

MonsterEnvy posted:

No it doesn't. It just shows him vanishing after dropping his robe or whatever.
The roses in the vase placed conveniently next to him are cut when he vanishes. The show seems to be implying this happened during the skipped time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Man, it feels weird that there's really only a handful of fights left in GW until the endgame.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

King Crimson is you getting blackout drunk and wondering why you woke up dressed in a clown suit in the back room of a Macy's.

This is really the best explanation if you've ever been truly blackout drunk. And Diavolo is your stupid friend that put the clown suit on you because he was the only sober one. Also he turns into a ghost whenever you black out.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the weird thing is that we're only 48% through the 39 episodes, they're really tearing through the source material

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We're gonna have like five full episodes of just the garbage after they get to the Colosseum, I hope everyone is prepared for that bullshit

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A full episode is going to be dedicated to explaining GER.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Electric Phantasm posted:

A full episode is going to be dedicated to explaining GER.

Really excited to see how they stretch, "nothing matters, gently caress you, I win" to a half hour

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Arist posted:

Really excited to see how they stretch, "nothing matters, gently caress you, I win" to a half hour

That shouldn’t be hard, GER’s effect is already about extending one moment to the end of time. :v:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Electric Phantasm posted:

I thought everyone agreed KC is that one Futurama episode with the Globetrotters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

One week is just going to be Time Keeps On Slippin' redubbed by the jojo VAs.