Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
being atheist doesn't mean being fully ignorant that jesus was an actual person of significant historical and cultural importance

"why is it where it is?"

"that's when jesus was born. he founded christianity, and the people who made the calendars were christians who thought his birthday was so important that it was the beginning of history."

"oh okay"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Don’t forget to tell them that some people don’t acknowledge him as their “Lord” e.g. a Jewish professor probably wouldn’t want to say anno domini.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I’ve always wondered how atheist/agnostic families who have kids will eventually explain how the BCE/CE distinction came to be.

“Why is it where it is?”
“Well junior that was around the time that society started to become—“
“I mean why is it that specific year?”
*pinches bridge of nose, sighs deeply*
“Well, junior, there was a man named Jesus who...”

i, too, wonder how someone will explain an easily explainable fact . now if you don't mind this glue won't huff itself

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Does anyone christian or otherwise say anno domini unless they are literally performing mass (Spoiler: I don't know if you say that in mass)?

And yeah at first blush I thought it would be trivial to make the years count down rather than up, but really count the number of event timers and triggers in your average Paradox game that rely on a number going up and do you really want to have to be the person parsing all that code to make sure the equations are all backwards? Lots of unnecessary work.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Does anyone christian or otherwise say anno domini unless they are literally performing mass (Spoiler: I don't know if you say that in mass)?

Yeah, lots of people. Pretty much anyone who doesn't have an interest in history uses BC/AD in my experience.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Yeah, lots of people. Pretty much anyone who doesn't have an interest in history uses BC/AD in my experience.

Also people who are interested in history and don't see the point in watching terminology for no real effect

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Also people who are interested in history and don't see the point in watching terminology for no real effect

It's hosed up to have at least four years that are called Before Christ where Christ is alive, imo

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

It's hosed up to have at least four years that are called Before Christ where Christ is alive, imo

Seems kinda wierd to change terminology to avoid religion while still using the zero year that relegion had imo

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gobblecoque posted:

They probably couldn't figure out how to make the number go down and then switch to going back up at the turn of the millennium lmbo

I thought the game was supposed to end at the time of Augustus becoming Emperor? Which was still BCE.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I’ve always wondered how atheist/agnostic families who have kids will eventually explain how the BCE/CE distinction came to be.

“Why is it where it is?”
“Well junior that was around the time that society started to become—“
“I mean why is it that specific year?”
*pinches bridge of nose, sighs deeply*
“Well, junior, there was a man named Jesus who...”

My parents are atheists and I don't remember this ever coming up

I don't believe in the supernatural but you would have to be incredibly petty to have a problem with the Western year numbering system just because it's based on Jesus. It's like getting angry that the days of the week in Dutch (and English) mostly refer to the Germanic pantheon. Stop forcing Woden down my throat :argh:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Alchenar posted:

And yeah at first blush I thought it would be trivial to make the years count down rather than up, but really count the number of event timers and triggers in your average Paradox game that rely on a number going up and do you really want to have to be the person parsing all that code to make sure the equations are all backwards? Lots of unnecessary work.
Lol, it'd be a UI alias if they wanted it. Count up in the guts. Apply an alias on the UI presentation where internal epoch point 154363 = March 15 44 BC.

E. I should be clearer in saying it wouldn't be free and effortless to do since it'd be a new piece of UI code, but it's not like you need to redesign the event engine to keep track of counting down.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 15, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
all of you shut the gently caress up on this beautiful day, the 27th of Rain in the year 227

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you wanna make things weirder, AD was only adopted in the 8th century, and the gregorian calendar in particular is only 500 years old, tops. You can make it even weirder with the phantom time hypothesis, but that's probably dumb.

The development of advanced time tracking was complicated.

logger posted:

This is days old, but concerning the Crete LP by Wiz and how people think what went on in that thread was just a reflection of modern politics everyone needs to watch the videos on this playlist about the politics at the end of the Roman Republic.

It is pretty eerie how much the fall of a Republic 2000 years ago lines up with today.

Not really. More just if you zoom out enough, decaying states all have similar things happen as stabilizing traditions are discarded and internal conflict gets more intense. We don't have anywhere near the amount of political violence, we have executives fighting their own illegal wars, but they don't have armies personally loyal to them, and we're not even up to Sulla timeline-wise, so we've got a good century left if we're just following in footsteps.

There's also the fact that the founding fathers were real dorks about Rome, so that may be producing some similarities. Honestly I feel like while the Gracchi brothers' attempts to redistribute land while the Senate tries to protect the wealthy's interests hits upon some familiar points, I've been seeing more resemblance in the days leading up to the fall of the empire personally. Private landowners steadily increasing their own personal power as the government becomes steadily less effective? We're still missing some key ingredients, but it's not hard to imagine the reintroduction of feudalism coming soon.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

...You all do realize you can have negative numbers in code, right? You could just make 80 BC "-80." It'd take all of about 2 minutes to set up and would be completely intuitive to work with for them. This is an intentional design choice.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

luxury handset posted:

all of you shut the gently caress up on this beautiful day, the 27th of Rain in the year 227

Save this for a Vicky 3 mod.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

"Date math is simple" is the "hold my beer" of programming.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Clanpot Shake posted:

"Date math is simple" is the "hold my beer" of programming.

I've written an Actually Mostly Correct time library so I'm gonna :yeah: this one real hard. But, to minimally defend the people saying that this one is pretty simple, Paradox games don't really do "date math". It's a discrete simulation with day-sized steps. It's a counter, not a "date".

Lol at "but negative numbers exist!" though. What's the year before 1 AD, "completely intuitive"-bro?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

AFashionableHat posted:

I've written an Actually Mostly Correct time library so I'm gonna :yeah: this one real hard. But, to minimally defend the people saying that this one is pretty simple, Paradox games don't really do "date math". It's a discrete simulation with day-sized steps. It's a counter, not a "date".

Lol at "but negative numbers exist!" though. What's the year before 1 AD, "completely intuitive"-bro?

the year 0 doesn't exist because the holy roman emperor stole it, easy :smuggo:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

A casus belli if ever one was.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
If you really wanted to be a non-denominational pedant, you could make a calendar dating system that has Year 0 as 45 CE/BC, since that's when the Julian calendar standardized the months to what we use now, with Year 1 being the first "full" year under the Julian calendar and its corrected forms.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Why is everyone forgetting EU: Rome showed you the BC/AD year when you hovered over the time?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

logger posted:

This is days old, but concerning the Crete LP by Wiz and how people think what went on in that thread was just a reflection of modern politics everyone needs to watch the videos on this playlist about the politics at the end of the Roman Republic.

It is pretty eerie how much the fall of a Republic 2000 years ago lines up with today.

I love the late Republic era, it's my favourite Roman period.

Other things to enjoy:
- Robert Harris's historical novel trilogy about Cicero
- the HBO miniseries Rome
- Dan Carlin's podcast series Death Throes of the Republic (he's a talk radio guy, not a historian of any sort, but he can be very engaging to listen)

Speaking of podcast hosts, Mike "History of Rome" Duncan's debut book The Storm Before the Storm is apparently also good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They also said if you're curious about what year it is BC in Imperator there's a tooltip on the date that will tell you.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

logger posted:

People have been saying this for hundreds of years.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AFashionableHat posted:

I'm going to chalk it up to my own idiocy that I didn't know there was no 0 AD until now. I'd always just assumed there was for some reason :downs:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
is 12 AM noon or midnight?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I want a French Revolution sim that goes back and forth between the French Republican calendar and Gregorian calendar depending on context

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They wouldn't have this problem if they used the Islamic calendar.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I should be able to pass laws that implement my personal calendar.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

zedprime posted:

I should be able to pass laws that implement my personal calendar.

Unironically this, I was actually sympathising a bit with the uber history nerds over this one. I want SE if I'm playing in the Hellenistic world :mad:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Mantis42 posted:

They wouldn't have this problem if they used the Islamic calendar.

They'll extend this to late antiquity and you'll be able to do this at the tip of a sword, Inshallah

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

They'll extend this to late antiquity and you'll be able to do this at the tip of a sword, Inshallah

They should just make a game about this. Jihadi Sultans already.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

But Zulfiqar has two tips?

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I don't think it was mentioned here but Paradox has a new ARG called Tender. I'm not far into it, but I'm getting a strong vibe that a new Vampire game is coming up.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sindai posted:

They also said if you're curious about what year it is BC in Imperator there's a tooltip on the date that will tell you.

:thunk:

Wonder if we can mod the main display to show that value instead...

Also, the one true dating system is obviously Anno Mundi. Welcome to 7527 AM, friends :cool:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I just cannot give a poo poo about whatever Paradox is doing with Vampire because of how badly the last set of people they hired to deal with Vampire poo poo the bed. I'm glad they fired them all and burned that subsidiary to the ground, but it exhausted any goodwill or interest I might've had.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cease to Hope posted:

I just cannot give a poo poo about whatever Paradox is doing with Vampire because of how badly the last set of people they hired to deal with Vampire poo poo the bed. I'm glad they fired them all and burned that subsidiary to the ground, but it exhausted any goodwill or interest I might've had.
I thought they just acquired it and fired the people that the former owners of the IP had hired to do something?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I thought they just acquired it and fired the people that the former owners of the IP had hired to do something?

No, the whole thing where they hired a notorious harasser from tabletop and then accidentally caused an international incident was when White Wolf was a subsidiary of Paradox.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Is that like when the kaiser stole the word twenty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nosfereefer posted:

They should just make a game about this. Jihadi Sultans already.

That would be great, but it's going to be hard to model a handful of Arab tribals clowning on the Sasanian Empire and defeating the Byzantines several times.