Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So anyway I decided to check out the Shonen Jump app because last year I heard that anime was good again, and to make a long story short. I read all of My Hero Academia in three days. That's some good poo poo. I'm very proud of Shinso. Bakugo has made excellent strides as well. Basically I love all the students. And Aizawa. And All Might? And Deku's mom. Really this comic has a cast I adore.

How is Vigilantes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
It's a totally different beast. Takes a while to get started. But becomes really good after that. Both as a companion piece to the main story and a stand alone series. It's less action and combat and more fleshing out the MHA universe.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

YggiDee posted:

So anyway I decided to check out the Shonen Jump app because last year I heard that anime was good again, and to make a long story short. I read all of My Hero Academia in three days. That's some good poo poo. I'm very proud of Shinso. Bakugo has made excellent strides as well. Basically I love all the students. And Aizawa. And All Might? And Deku's mom. Really this comic has a cast I adore.

How is Vigilantes?

Its really good but the first few chapters suffer bc it kept bouncing around magazines.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You know all that stuff you like about the MHA setting and background that Horikoshi doesn't really have time to explore because he's going through fights at breakneck speed? Well, Vigilantes explores it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
another 13-14 page chapter, no chapter next week since I guess Horikoshi is dying still.

All Might, Bakugou, and Midoriya chat about the extra quirk thing- Bakugo brings up that it could be connected to All For One. All Might confirms that neither he nor Nana at least ever had anything like this happen. He also says Black Whip guy wasn't the previous successor to Nana- it was the one with the short black hair.
Todoroki, completely oblivious talks to Midoriya and asks if he has two quirks like him- Midoriya handwaves it away saying that it seems to be an extension of his quirk. Todoroki texts Endeavor and asks him to teach him his super move stuff.
Monoma copies Eri's quirk but can't use it because as probably everyone expected it has a power storage component to it, and his quirk does not copy stored power. So having Monoma use her quirk to fix Mirio/etc is off the table.

That's it. Not much going on this chapter, but it is a winddown. No arc setup however, probably because the chapter was short. :shrug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

no link?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
None of the scanlators are done yet, this is just from the raws floating around.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chapter's up.

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/217/page/1

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Clockwork Orange Mineta killed me.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/217/5678/1

better tl

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Fabricated posted:

Todoroki, completely oblivious talks to Midoriya and asks if he has two quirks like him- Midoriya handwaves it away saying that it seems to be an extension of his quirk. Todoroki texts Endeavor and asks him to teach him his super move stuff.

this was a good page

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Endeavor has half a flame mustache because the other half is covered by the scar :allears:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Eri looks like an adorable marshmallow.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

:allears:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Worth pointing out, beyond just being a better translation overall (why do people keep linking to Jaimini's), this one actually has two more pages centered around Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Does Jaimini's Box just plain not work for anyone else? I've tried disabling all my ad and script blocking type things entirely and it still just refuses to load anything. It's weird cause it used to work fine with all the usual sane browsing tools fully enabled.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mimesweeper posted:

Does Jaimini's Box just plain not work for anyone else? I've tried disabling all my ad and script blocking type things entirely and it still just refuses to load anything. It's weird cause it used to work fine with all the usual sane browsing tools fully enabled.

It's working completely fine to me. You may have a broken cache, try clearing that then reloading.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The big panel of everyone hangin' out is everything I want from this series

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Mraagvpeine posted:

This, plus Mina's sweater looks comfy + adorable and Ochako being a marshmallow on the couch make the chapter.

I'd take a shorter chapter half the time to have those 4 komas after, too.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I liked Kirishima and Tetsutetsu talking about how their quirks are totally different. We're not clones, we swear!

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

so beautiful :allears: how can this comic be so good?

i especially like the implication of how much time it took to set all that up and everyone else is just chilling and hanging out the whole time like "yeah, he had that coming"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I feel like there was a subtle elbow nudge from Monoma to Eraserhead that he was being unintentionally inconsiderate to Eri's feelings on that second to last page.

Also are we supposed to know who Mic was talking about to Eraserhead?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ashido chose to be a hero despite having the power to melt one's face with a thought, she is not to be trifled with

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The chapter didn't feel short even if it was, a lot of stuff got crammed in there.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I continue to be amazed at the level of expressiveness that Horikoshi manages to cram into even the tiniest of doodles.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Radish posted:

Also are we supposed to know who Mic was talking about to Eraserhead?

The last chapter had a one panel flashback to President Mic and another character we never saw before back in high school, so it was probably him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Actually it’s Clockwork Grape

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Radish posted:

I feel like there was a subtle elbow nudge from Monoma to Eraserhead that he was being unintentionally inconsiderate to Eri's feelings on that second to last page.

That whole scene was kind of a nice nod to the idea that when he’s not “working” Monoma’s actually a fairly bright and reasonable kid. Heck he pretty much pegged exactly why OFA didn’t work for him.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

After all the endless discourse about Endeavor and Shouto's relationship it's been funny as gently caress to see the end result just be "weird awkward dad".

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Showing that Monoma's quirk can't copy Eri's to heal Mirio feels a little bit like overkill, the sort of thing they could brush over with "we've tried everything" rather than having to shoot down each individual theory of how Mirio could be brought back. Then again, they did a good job of tying it into Midoriya's new perspective on One For All, and since there isn't much for Eri and Mirio to do these days maybe it's worth it just to let them put in an appearance.

And the post-training hangouts are good, as are the Tetsu Tetsu bonus pages. Him being flustered over using his first name was funny.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

We also saw that copying Eri's quirk gave Monoma a horn, so we can assume that he can probably copy other mutation quirks too(like Ojiro’s tail).

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Bakugo's genre awareness was fun and having it not actually work out like that was even better. So was seeing all the kids hanging out. And Eri being adorable.

Dolash posted:

Showing that Monoma's quirk can't copy Eri's to heal Mirio feels a little bit like overkill, the sort of thing they could brush over with "we've tried everything" rather than having to shoot down each individual theory of how Mirio could be brought back. Then again, they did a good job of tying it into Midoriya's new perspective on One For All, and since there isn't much for Eri and Mirio to do these days maybe it's worth it just to let them put in an appearance.

That's just a corollary of what was actually showed, which is Eri's quirk is somehow an accumulation quirk. Also showed: Monoma's quirk can copy physical traits, which is dope; Monoma is fairly perceptive when not knee deep in his inferiority complex, which is a relief; confirmation of why Monoma can't copy OFA; another slight hit on keeping the nature of OFA a secret; and yeah an opportunity to see Mirio and Eri.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I do like how Bakugou almost says "Oh you'll just pull this out of your rear end when you're in real trouble"

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Fabricated posted:

I do like how Bakugou almost says "Oh you'll just pull this out of your rear end when you're in real trouble"

"If I kick your rear end hard enough, you'll get a power up" is some real genre savvy.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Bakugo's genre awareness was fun and having it not actually work out like that was even better. So was seeing all the kids hanging out. And Eri being adorable.

Bakugo is great, 'cause he's not an idiot, and he's also not heartless. He's Deku's rival, but he understands the bigger picture. Surprisingly nuanced

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

i just want him to stop yelling so much

please

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
No he needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Arist posted:

i just want him to stop yelling so much

please

you ask the impossible

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Bakugo must never stop yelling, every sentence a deeper and more reviberating boom as he explodes ever further into greatness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder what Mineta is being forced to watch?