Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Havana Affair posted:

Is there a way to make SR latch that first reaches a value and then resets when the value drops to 0? I have a mining outpost with on-site smelters and I'd like the miners to turn off when the belt feeding the smelter backs up (ore > x) and turn back on when the belt is completely cleared (ore = 0). I can't figure out how to make this work when the reset signal is lower than the set signal. I don't think this has any benefits but I think it would be neat to look at.

I do that for all my outposts.

If you want active high logic: A decider takes the ore count and outputs A=1 if its less than or quality to your on setpoint. You set a power switch or whatever on its output to shut if A=1. The latch is performed by taking that output signal and feeding it into a arithmetic combinator that multiples A by the negative reset point, and feed back that into trndecider on the opposite color wire. So when the signal drops low enough the negative feedback pulls it far lower so it stays negative until the ore reaches your reset value and the feedback clears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Havana Affair posted:

Is there a way to make SR latch that first reaches a value and then resets when the value drops to 0? I have a mining outpost with on-site smelters and I'd like the miners to turn off when the belt feeding the smelter backs up (ore > x) and turn back on when the belt is completely cleared (ore = 0). I can't figure out how to make this work when the reset signal is lower than the set signal. I don't think this has any benefits but I think it would be neat to look at.

The SR latch I use is 3 deciders

code:
Item < lower threshold = S
                    > S>R=S(fed back into itself)--plant
Item>upper thershold = R

But in this case I would flip it so that S>= 8(?), however many for on a belt and R=0. Daisy chain the output to your input inserters in your smelters so they turn on when your belt fills up and stay on until the belt is empty.

Royal W fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 15, 2019

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
.17 needs to come out already, I want to get my train on.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

uPen posted:

.17 needs to come out already, I want to get my train on.

Here's to hoping that .17 will not have a bug that literally causes babies to cry on the first release.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
seablock (geode processing):

so, i've been trying to mathematically justify using the geode recipes that skip the crushing step (geode -> slurry, rather than the standard geode -> dust -> slurry) but...

*the "optimized" direct-conversion line appears to generate 1.13 ore/cycle
*the "crush everything" chain generates 1.15 ore/cycle

are the direct conversions just a trap? why do they exist?

e2: i hosed up the numbers. it turns out you can directly convert the cyan + light green geodes with virtually no loss in net ore produced

vvv ok thanks!

crime weed fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 15, 2019

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

crime weed posted:

seablock (geode processing):

so, i've been trying to mathematically justify using the geode recipes that skip the crushing step (geode -> slurry, rather than the standard geode -> dust -> slurry) but...

*the "optimized" direct-conversion line appears to generate 1.2 ore/cycle
*the "crush everything" chain generates 1.633 ore/cycle

are the direct conversions just a trap? why do they exist?

-They're simpler (for lazy folks to build)
-They take less real estate (something of minor concern in seablock)
-If you end up flooded with end products, a less-productive recipe can help balance the production chain without having to blow up a warehouse ever so often

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
New Friday Facts is up. Tentative release date for 0.17 is the week of Feb 25th. :dance:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Map generation now explicitly lets you create starting islands!! Lots of good stuff, especially the tentative release date.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Is creating a map with multiple starting locations (and thus multiple islands) possible with the vanilla editor, or is that a scenario/modding thing?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Solumin posted:

Map generation now explicitly lets you create starting islands!! Lots of good stuff, especially the tentative release date.

Multiple starting islands. This is so cool. Just generally being able to spawn friends in different parts of the map so you can all work solo and then connect up.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Those starting islands are just that btw. The ocean around it currently doesn't have anything else in it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sininu posted:

Those starting islands are just that btw. The ocean around it currently doesn't have anything else in it.

... Vanillablock?

?!?

!!!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
You better have some heavy rich resource patches then, since you can't just get everything from seawater like with seablock.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Not sure how feasible it is but would be cool to create a sort of archipelago world where you have to island hop.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

ymgve posted:

You better have some heavy rich resource patches then, since you can't just get everything from seawater like with seablock.

There's a vanilla seablock mod, wonder how hard it would be to just put the recipes from that in without the terrain overrides.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Sydin posted:

Not sure how feasible it is but would be cool to create a sort of archipelago world where you have to island hop.

Two island seeds I posted before might interest you:

>>>eNpjYBBgMGZgYGBi5WFJzk/MYWRl5UrOLyhILdLNL0oF8jiTi0pT
UnXzM3NYWFnZUlKLU4tKGJmYWVIyi0qYmZm5UvNScyt1kxKLU4E81vS
ixOJiIIMjsyg/D2oCS3FiXgpQC2txSX4eSIC1pCg1FaSKu7QoMS+zNB
ekkJmVlYFxdWTftoYWOQYQ/l/PYPD/PwgDWReATgRhkEsZGYECMMCan
JOZlsbA0ODCwKDgxMjIWC2yzv1h1RR7Roi8ngOU8QEqErEbKvKgFcqI
WA1ldByGMhzmwxj1MEa/A6MxGHy2RzAgdpUATYZawuGAYEAkW0CSjIy
9b7cu+H7sgh3jn5UfL/kmJdgzZsqG+gqUvrcDSrMDNTAywYlZM0FgJ8
wHDDAzH9hDpW7aM549AwJv7BlZQTpEQISDBZA44M3MwCjAB2Qt6AESC
jIMMKfZwYwRcWBMA4NvMJ88hjEu26P7Q8WB0QZkuByIOAEiwBbCXcYI
ZUY6QCQkEbJArUYMyNanIDx3EmbjYSSr0dygAnODiQMWL6CJqCAFPBf
InhQ48YIZ7ghgCF5gh/GAccvMgAAf7F//fS8JADLglJY=<<<

>>>eNptUU0oRFEUPmfeXD9DTJqNQhazHQkLC827SVnIUrHzzLujV+M9
3fdmgQULyoJsbNiwlbJTZKOUKGpiZUc2FoQUGzXunbl33jQ5dU/fPd8
95/vOewBx6AeACGmOZjwrh4TEMt78POMpjzNxa8zwvM1SnpOLElJnM5
/xACNG1HZ4YBhGjLlsbiE1Y/lM3Mgst3xfgAaHe66aEPUt1xYtxA88V
xZIwBmTr5ry3HKd/Jx8aBACiEPJtpXVLpCnuAy9xaI8AhWERXmkU0RR
0EEyOSebBVgZAegeRsSlxNHo0+K2iWW+hyrwoSqTZ6ryuKbA5KEC6xc
K0D0NljXYothfii8zBGWtQExWIg00BGVyVZKIm2/H+z+XhTT+Hnzejc
9Mm+h0TozH8+9pQdeLBoxU0u6OjFO9AeiZj6aiHky8vZHxaiKRHQmZ6
KBI52MGYLxFoP0Nkbo7QFtL6zEJitlSfOtNnjW4N2v3SFIcksO7ZLqS
qSRYcYYKTtEy0R6yorUPquXtcLlrrXhRJV3jIak9DNB/VqipJKs+fEz
q2JX0YlRMiC9YqNc38W8NCOPDHDxZaP0DmoyRSQ==<<<

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sydin posted:

I think this would just make me wish for automated boats and more ways to interact with water in general.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's rumored spider tank can walk on water.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think this would just make me wish for automated boats and more ways to interact with water in general.

If we could replace train tracks with canals for cargo ships I am on board.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Why not a train bridge with cargo ships passing under it.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

socialsecurity posted:

Honk mod adds dinging of boat bells?

"No, no, no, you idiot--you signaled these canals all wrong. Now the boats are crashing into each other!"

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's called Hoooooooooonk and it adds boat horns

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019
I'm looking forward to proper 'continent' maps, instead of the swampy water puddle maps that we get a lot now (like they said in the blog). It'd be really cool to have a really large island of sorts, and having to landfill your way over to the next 'continent' when running out of resources.

In other news, Logistic Train Network is the best mod ever and I am never playing this game again without it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'd like to see more marshyness, actually. Watery tiles that you can walk over but not build upon to complement cliffs (no build/no cross lines). This would also open the door for a hovercraft vehicle. I would also include 'river' map features with marshy natural 'bridges' that connect lakes; I believe this would beautify maps markedly at least.

Obviously you could landfill the marsh tiles to make them build-able. If I had my way I'd have landfill "upgrade" the tile one notch per application, from "Deep" -> "Shallow" -> "Marshy" -> Plains, making deep-sea bridges exorbitantly expensive but minor terraforming still super cheap.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

TigerXtrm posted:

I'm looking forward to proper 'continent' maps, instead of the swampy water puddle maps that we get a lot now (like they said in the blog). It'd be really cool to have a really large island of sorts, and having to landfill your way over to the next 'continent' when running out of resources.

In other news, Logistic Train Network is the best mod ever and I am never playing this game again without it.

I second the LTN love, with the caveat that if you are retrofitting your existing rail network to an LTN, make sure all your current trains are empty before sticking them in the depots. I'm still picking red chips out of my copper plant after 2 hours or changing stops around.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019
Just automate the depot to empty the wagons. Problem solved.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Quick survey:

My mod Nuclear Locomotives adds, as its name suggests, nuclear-powered locomotives. A potential problem is that even with only one slot for fuel, they will happily be filled up with 50 fuel cells each, which can add up to rather a lot before you have Kovarex processing online.

One way around it for players is to use circuits on inserters to only load cells in when spent fuel cells are removed, but this is fiddly.

Should I create a new fuel item that's identical to uranium cells except with a reduced stack size, converted on a 1:1 basis from the vanilla cells? I don't want to alter the stack size of the vanilla item.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There's already a nuclear fuel item for vehicles, isn't there? Why not just use that?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Because it's stupid, and also made of rocket fuel.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Cells are cheap enough, let them stack to 50 imo

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Evilreaver posted:

Cells are cheap enough, let them stack to 50 imo

^^ This. I doubt people would use nuclear fuel for trains before they're all Koverexed up, and after you have so much it's not an issue.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Sydin posted:

New Friday Facts is up. Tentative release date for 0.17 is the week of Feb 25th. :dance:

b...b...but I'm never going to finish my "buffer all the stuff" factory that was keeping me occupied until the update before then.

I have now add a crating mod to it so I'm warehousing stacks of all the stuff now instead of just all the stuff.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

GotLag posted:

A potential problem is that even with only one slot for fuel, they will happily be filled up with 50 fuel cells each, which can add up to rather a lot before you have Kovarex processing online.

There are 2 kinds of factorio players:

1. Those who use circuits/filters/logic to ensure there is an even and efficient distribution of input esources.

2. Those who overproduce input resources.

Neither kind of player should find it a problem.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nevets posted:

There are 2 kinds of factorio players:

1. Those who use circuits/filters/logic to ensure there is an even and efficient distribution of input esources.

2. Those who overproduce input resources.

Neither kind of player should find it a problem.

As a #2 with delusions of being a #1, yea basically. I always forget you get ten cells per Good Uranium so I end up with a check full of cells anyway

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
There is something like 2k 235 sitting uselessly in the input slots and requester chests of my enrichment factory. 50 fuel cells isn’t much to worry about once I reach the first rocket.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I was looking at the wiki page for heat pipes and had a thought. What if map generation included temperature and this affected how you created a factory? I'm not talking about a full weather system, but temperature only.

On a cold map:
* Visually the map would be covered in snow and nice, but no weather otherwise.
* Many things that use electricity might draw more of it in order to compensate for the colder temperature.
* At night the temperature decreases and power requirements increase in order to keep everything heated.
* All surface water is frozen, thickly enough that you can build some things on the ice that are not too heavy like belts, pipes, inserters, and small power poles. Nothing underground of course.
* Getting running water from a lake would require a powered water pump to deal with the cold temperature of what is under the ice.
* Water and steam would cool off in pipes and tanks depending on the outside temperature. No more storing steam indefinitely. Insulated pipes and tanks could be an upgrade though that only lowers the rate of temperature decrease.

In general it would make everything use more power and add more flavor to the game, but not be too big a change to gameplay.

I don't think having a hot map would be similarly impactful without introducing an overheating mechanic which I don't think would be fun.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Inverness posted:

I was looking at the wiki page for heat pipes and had a thought. What if map generation included temperature and this affected how you created a factory? I'm not talking about a full weather system, but temperature only.

On a cold map:
* Visually the map would be covered in snow and nice, but no weather otherwise.
* Many things that use electricity might draw more of it in order to compensate for the colder temperature.
* At night the temperature decreases and power requirements increase in order to keep everything heated.
* All surface water is frozen, thickly enough that you can build some things on the ice that are not too heavy like belts, pipes, inserters, and small power poles. Nothing underground of course.
* Getting running water from a lake would require a powered water pump to deal with the cold temperature of what is under the ice.
* Water and steam would cool off in pipes and tanks depending on the outside temperature. No more storing steam indefinitely. Insulated pipes and tanks could be an upgrade though that only lowers the rate of temperature decrease.

In general it would make everything use more power and add more flavor to the game, but not be too big a change to gameplay.

I don't think having a hot map would be similarly impactful without introducing an overheating mechanic which I don't think would be fun.

Heat could just make the biters more active/aggressive.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
It wouldn't be too bad if you made the overheating mechanic something uncomfortable but not painful; like a factory slowdown as opposed to buildings blowing up.
It could be an interesting new layer to have to tie your buildings together with heat pipe and then send the heat to a water powered cooling tower.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Temperature is already part of map generation, along with moisture. They talk about this in the most recent FFF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Hey thanks to both of you for ideas about the latch.

M_Gargantua posted:

I do that for all my outposts.

If you want active high logic: A decider takes the ore count and outputs A=1 if its less than or quality to your on setpoint. You set a power switch or whatever on its output to shut if A=1. The latch is performed by taking that output signal and feeding it into a arithmetic combinator that multiples A by the negative reset point, and feed back that into trndecider on the opposite color wire. So when the signal drops low enough the negative feedback pulls it far lower so it stays negative until the ore reaches your reset value and the feedback clears.

I couldn't figure your setup out. Below is how I tried it. The first decider is iron plates <= 6 and it outputs A=1 on red that goes to the final decider that's just if A=1 turn off the inserter. The latch is on the green wire and the arithmetic combinator is anything * -6 and outputs anything so A=-6 when iron plates <= 6. I think I didn't get where the latch feeds back to. The problem was that it wouldn't reset when the iron would reach 0.

Royal W posted:

The SR latch I use is 3 deciders

code:
Item < lower threshold = S
                    > S>R=S(fed back into itself)--plant
Item>upper thershold = R
But in this case I would flip it so that S>= 8(?), however many for on a belt and R=0. Daisy chain the output to your input inserters in your smelters so they turn on when your belt fills up and stay on until the belt is empty.

This worked like a charm. S>=6 is the correct value for all belts I think.