Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Yeah I figure someone would make the money argument. I think paying people more for dangerous jobs makes sense... if it's a job that's necessary to improve people's lives. Football isn't some necessary risk to keep society running (or is it?), it's just entertainment. It doesn't inherently have to be as dangerous as it is. People choose to keep it that way because the like seeing hard hits. If safety were really a high priority you could turn it into pro flag football or something.
That said, challenging our national religion isn't really my hill to die on. It just irked me to see people ignoring or memeing around someone raising real critiques instead of actually addressing them.

E:
Page 6: Make football woke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Its because the person making said critques sounds like a Maoist Red Guard Austin Memeber trying to sell me a newspaper while claiming that I'm a liberal for not uncritically supporting Pol Pot. Their text cadence is mad loving wack.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

most professional football players get an upper middle class income at best and college football players arent paid at all

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Everyone involved in the ncaa at an organizational level should be put through a thresher

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Anyone got any good comic recommendations consistent with the theme of this thread, like comics that actually attempt to creatively express alternatives to capitalist discourse and lifeways or at least self-aware narratives. I've never really read comics except a few popular things years ago that, upon rereading these last few weeks, actually suck rear end (Preacher, Transmetropolitan, and to a lesser extent, Y: The Last Man). simultaneously I've realized I really like the medium when its even remotely well executed, I've also read a decade of Heavy Metal and the early Judge Dredd comics and they're absolutely incredible, like, I can't think of any science fiction media as creatively satirical as the Dredd comics, just nothing that matches them

so is there anything specific yall might suggest reading, particularly things with left-wing themes or critical analysis built into them in worthwhile ways? like I enjoyed the Flintstones comic for all its absurdity because it had some decent commentary even if it was unsubtle as hell

also I despise super heroes

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Have you considered reading a real book?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

yeah ive read harry potterr

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I was thinking of some actual literature, like maybe Stephen King

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Anyone got any good comic recommendations consistent with the theme of this thread, like comics that actually attempt to creatively express alternatives to capitalist discourse and lifeways or at least self-aware narratives. I've never really read comics except a few popular things years ago that, upon rereading these last few weeks, actually suck rear end (Preacher, Transmetropolitan, and to a lesser extent, Y: The Last Man). simultaneously I've realized I really like the medium when its even remotely well executed, I've also read a decade of Heavy Metal and the early Judge Dredd comics and they're absolutely incredible, like, I can't think of any science fiction media as creatively satirical as the Dredd comics, just nothing that matches them

so is there anything specific yall might suggest reading, particularly things with left-wing themes or critical analysis built into them in worthwhile ways? like I enjoyed the Flintstones comic for all its absurdity because it had some decent commentary even if it was unsubtle as hell

if you're looking for an artistic medium that does a good job of dealing with this topic, you can do a hell of a lot better than comic books

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Frog Act posted:

Anyone got any good comic recommendations consistent with the theme of this thread, like comics that actually attempt to creatively express alternatives to capitalist discourse and lifeways or at least self-aware narratives

Can't go wrong with Oesterheld's The Eternaut, a sci-fi adventure comic about an alien invasion, straightforward and effortlessly leftist. Be sure to read both the original and Breccia's remake (artistically superior but probably a little too condensed)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Frog Act posted:

Anyone got any good comic recommendations consistent with the theme of this thread, like comics that actually attempt to creatively express alternatives to capitalist discourse and lifeways or at least self-aware narratives.
China Mieville's Iron Man pitch?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Helsing posted:

Have you considered reading a real book?

get that OUT of my face posted:

if you're looking for an artistic medium that does a good job of dealing with this topic, you can do a hell of a lot better than comic books

I've read too many real books lately and want to read something enjoyable that doesn't also make me want to die because its basically just an encomium on the merits of Liberal Individuality Or Whatever

hackbunny posted:

Can't go wrong with Oesterheld's The Eternaut, a sci-fi adventure comic about an alien invasion, straightforward and effortlessly leftist. Be sure to read both the original and Breccia's remake (artistically superior but probably a little too condensed)

thanks! I'll look into this, I've been really impressed by a lot of continental science fiction, especially some of the heavy metal alternate future stuff like 1996. someone posted some examples in the early pages of the PYF comics thread and they're spectacular

so if this is anything like that stuff, I'm sure I'll dig it

edit: apparently the Eternaut is Argentinian, not European, I'm dumb for making that assumption

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Frog Act posted:

I've read too many real books lately and want to read something enjoyable that doesn't also make me want to die because its basically just an encomium on the merits of Liberal Individuality Or Whatever

Try The Adventures of Tintin: Breaking Free, a Tintin bootleg by anonymous authors. Has nothing to do with the Tintin comics outside of stealing a couple characters from them, and it depicts the birth of a successful popular anarchist movement in the UK

Not strictly political: Roberta Gregory's Bitchy Bitch, slice of life comic about Midge McCracken, a Boomer woman with a horrible temper. Funny, thoughtful, "un-PC" (ugh! but I can't find a better way to say it) and a respite from all-to-often male-centric underground comix

Absolutely apolitical, in case you want to go for something completely different but that still features societies and struggle: Larry Marder's Tales of the Beanworld, a mostly-abstract fantasy comic with a unique voice and art style

Frog Act posted:

edit: apparently the Eternaut is Argentinian, not European, I'm dumb for making that assumption

Lots of South American authors from the 60s and 70s were very political (Oesterheld was a bona fide guerrilla who wrote part of Eternaut in hiding and ended up a desaparecido), I'll try to remember/look up some more names for you

While you're looking at Métal Hurlant, watch for anything that was written by Pierre Christin or Enki Bilal. If you want more like Judge Dredd, try Marshal Law: ostensibly about superheroes, but it's really a satire of American imperialism. Speaking of which, if you're one of those superhero-loving weirdos, you basically can't go wrong with anything that was written by Grant Morrison. No encomiums on the merits of Liberal Individuality Or Whatever in his Doom Patrol run, I assure you

I want to recommend a contemporary Italian author, Zerocalcare, but not much of his work has been translated. Guy's a huge nerd who writes slice of life comics about himself and fictionalized versions of his family and friends, peppered with nostalgic references to the 80s, but he's also a lifelong leftist militant. One of the works that was translated, Kobane Calling, is a memoir of his trip to Syrian Kurdistan to bring humanitarian aid to the refugees displaced by ISIS and see with his own eyes how the communist "experiment" in Rojava is doing. His huge endearing nerdiness kind of overshadows everything else but it's a good read

hackbunny has issued a correction as of 00:14 on Feb 10, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

hackbunny posted:

Try The Adventures of Tintin: Breaking Free, a Tintin bootleg by anonymous authors. Has nothing to do with the Tintin comics outside of stealing a couple characters from them, and it depicts the birth of a successful popular anarchist movement in the UK

Not strictly political: Roberta Gregory's Bitchy Bitch, slice of life comic about Midge McCracken, a Boomer woman with a horrible temper. Funny, thoughtful, "un-PC" (ugh! but I can't find a better way to say it) and a respite from all-to-often male-centric underground comix

Absolutely apolitical, in case you want to go for something completely different but that still features societies and struggle: Larry Marder's Tales of the Beanworld, a mostly-abstract fantasy comic with a unique voice and art style

Lots of South American authors from the 60s and 70s were very political (Oesterheld was a bona fide guerrilla who wrote part of Eternaut in hiding and ended up a desaparecido), I'll try to remember/look up some more names for you

While you're looking at Métal Hurlant, watch for anything that was written by Pierre Christin or Enki Bilal. If you want more like Judge Dredd, try Marshal Law: ostensibly about superheroes, but it's really a satire of American imperialism. Speaking of which, if you're one of those superhero-loving weirdos, you basically can't go wrong with anything that was written by Grant Morrison. No encomiums on the merits of Liberal Individuality Or Whatever in his Doom Patrol run, I assure you

I want to recommend a contemporary Italian author, Zerocalcare, but not much of his work has been translated. Guy's a huge nerd who writes slice of life comics about himself and fictionalized versions of his family and friends, peppered with nostalgic references to the 80s, but he's also a lifelong leftist militant. One of the works that was translated, Kobane Calling, is a memoir of his trip to Syrian Kurdistan to bring humanitarian aid to the refugees displaced by ISIS and see with his own eyes how the communist "experiment" in Rojava is doing. His huge endearing nerdiness kind of overshadows everything else but it's a good read

I read a few pretty political books in my Latin American history classes in undergrad so I have a passing familiarity with the context for this kind of stuff, and I'm really, really enjoying The Eternaut so far. I'm going to look into all of these, so thanks! I'm beginning to really respect the medium after reading stuff that isn't by Warren Ellis

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the old man who reads love stories is only novella sized and i can highly recommend it as a kind of backwards heart of darkness basically instead of blaming the jungle or nature or some bullshit for why everything goes horribly wrong the actual villains are the entourage themselves who are violent idiots incapable of realizing that the jungle is just proportionately reacting to whatever theyre doing

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

tintin was originally made as an anti-communist comic, right?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
the NFL doesn't allow concussions to be shown in the new Madden games, or helmets popping off or career ending injuries.

that being said, the NCAA is still about five times more evil than any major sports company. at least the NFL pays

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kurtofan posted:

American sports are bad

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Frog Act posted:

still reading Transmetropolitan and it really seems to be degenerating (I'm on #41/60) into this weird medium for warren ellis to deliver like, increasingly insane monologues. #41 is this incredibly explicit series of interviews with fictional child prostitutes about the fictional sex things that happened to them in great detail, followed by a five page lecture from a social worker about how society is fine, its their parents that failed them. a whole page is talking about how it doesn't matter whether the state does something, or if they're poor, but that bad parenting is the cause of child prostitution

its weird and atonal even for transmetropolitan

Transmet is one hundred percent Ellis disappearing up his own rear end while pretending to be HST

I've never done such a hard turnaround on a comic between the first and second reads, and every time since then I've just gotten more disgusted with it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Plank Walker posted:

me, a nerd culture aficionado: people who criticize superheroes/sci-fi/video games are uptight and need to embrace their inner child
an actual child: and then spiderman flew in with his bff mario and they beat up evil superman
me: *sigh* FIRSt of all...

As the actual comic book defender here in cspam I agree with this post and when people start to get wound about poo poo at the shop I just go "but it's a comic, who cares"

Like dumb wild poo poo is the best part of comics, gently caress anyone who gets super uptight about canon or what RRALLY happened unless it's like an actual deliberate focus of the plot of a specific story

And I don't mean retcons

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Frog Act posted:

Mark Russell, who wrote Flintstones, also did a Snagglepuss comic about the lavender panic, a porky pig/lex Luther crossover about how Twitter is courting Nazis and doesn't give a gently caress, a Judge Dredd mini about how communism is good, and I'm p sure his new Red Sonja book is going to be about murdering imperialism . So read those

Also, just read more Judge Dredd

Edit please do not read Marshall Law, I am the only person who will ever tell you this but Pat Mills kind of sucks rear end and is at the very least chud adjacent

BENGHAZI 2 has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Feb 10, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah I actually read Marshal Law last time it came up in another thread and I found it uncompelling to say the least, especially since I don’t know poo poo about the superheroes being satirized

Eternaut however is like the best ray gun style science fiction I’ve ever read and it’s amazing how good he is at constructing allegories compare to the pablum crapped all over every page of Transmet and Preacher

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the NFL is awful but the NCAA is on the level of FIFA or the IOC

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

hackbunny posted:

I'm going to look at Doom Patrol and Tintin (I'm especially interested in Tintin, on account of having grown up reading them all multiple times, oblivious to their colonial content until adulthood), but in the meantime if anyone has any other politically charged graphic novel recommendations I'm on a bit of a kick here.

Anyway, I just finished El Eternauto and it was loving incredible. Like, it was unselfconsciously pulpy and embraced the style and pacing of a traditional science fiction story. but it eschewed all the narrative tropes I'd come to expect (and the ones that it did have, it was such an early an elegant example of) and managed to construct some of the best still-ambiguous allegory I've ever read. I could go on but smarter people have written a lot more about it but wow, just, dang, it was so good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Judge Dredd: Tour of Duty is about the time Dredd tried to make the city not be racist and the system punished him for it it's really good mostly

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so frozen 2 exists apparently i was surprised to hear about this since last i heard relevant people denied the movie was in production because it was such an obviously cynical cash grab

but this was back in 2015 when people still felt shame about pretending like cartoons designed to sell toys to children were high art not 2019 where every cartoon sequel is treated like a watershed moment in cinematic storytelling until its completely forgotten about a month later

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think the public's ever-evolving view of the Civil War and level of sympathy for the Confederacy is pretty interesting, and somebody smarter than me could probably write a lot of words about how several huge cultural touchstones either shaped or reflected those attitudes (or likely did both).

Off the top of my head, several works take a highly sympathetic/nostalgic/"heroes on both sides" stance on the Confederacy, and all left a pretty significant cultural mark:

Birth of a Nation (1915 film)
Gone With the Wind (1939 film, adapted from 1936 novel)
The Killer Angels (1974 novel)
The Civil War (1990 PBS documentary miniseries)

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

you could say the same thing about the us in world war ii. we were finally on the right side but after the war everyone knew the soviets defeated the nazis and that was a big reason why the cold war ramped back up. can't have those drat dirty reds who fought in the resistance leading the people. so the deluge of media that beefs up the us role in the victory does the propaganda work. the result?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

weird to think how totally divorced our ideas of historical events are from how actual contemporaries would have seen them southerners actually fighting in the civil war would have been offended if you said the war wasnt about white supremacy given the only other reason a foot soldier had to participate was the promise of not getting shot by recruiters

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

2019 where every cartoon sequel is treated like a watershed moment in cinematic storytelling until its completely forgotten about a month later
this is true about every piece of "important" pop culture, not just animated movies and their sequels. nobody remembers Ghostbusters 2016 one way or another now, but when it came out, you had to pick a side, and you were a terrible person for picking the wrong one. and that was just the first piece of mass-marketed pop culture that fit the woke narrative

while we're on the subject: i hate woke criticism and the pop culture that actively panders to it for many reasons, and one of those reasons is that it constantly equates consumerism as an act of political good. the overwhelming response from media people towards right-wingers who boycott Battlefield 5 or Captain Marvel or whatever is the same as Maddox's attitude towards vegetarians: for every one game copy/ticket/etc. you don't buy, i'm going to buy three. it ends up doing absolutely nothing for society outside of making more money for the EAs and Disneys of the world, and it sure as poo poo doesn't make a positive impact

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

the overwhelming response from media people towards right-wingers who boycott Battlefield 5 or Captain Marvel or whatever is the same as Maddox's attitude towards vegetarians: for every one game copy/ticket/etc. you don't buy, i'm going to buy three. it ends up doing absolutely nothing for society outside of making more money for the EAs and Disneys of the world, and it sure as poo poo doesn't make a positive impact

Agreed. I really endorse this seminal piece that feels even more important, post-"A Girl In My Star Wars??!"-meltdown by nerdbros. The things you love will never love you back. This bit in the comments feels especially prescient:

quote:

One of the things that’s so dismaying about the whole latter-day geek culture is how intrinsically childish it is. When you’re shopping for a birthday present for a five-year-old, you get them any old bullshit — a backpack, a skateboard, a toy race car — with Dora the Explorer on it, because the five-year-old likes Dora the Explorer, and because she’s five, she can’t make the distinction between an actual artistic product and a cheap cash-in. No doubt the geek community, who forever bristle when anyone wonders why they spend so much time on cultural product that is directed at 13-year-olds, would object to being compared to toddlers, but they practice the same extreme lack of distinction in their choice of entertainment: a Cthulhu plush toy or a Star Wars trucker hat or a steampunk dildo doesn’t make any more artistic sense than a skateboard with Dora the Explorer on it, but they’re reacting to it the same way that the five-year-old does. “Yay! I like Batman and I like zombies and this is Batman and zombies! Yay!”

Shrecknet has issued a correction as of 03:35 on Feb 15, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Easy Diff posted:

Agreed. I really endorse this seminal piece that feels even more important, post-"A Girl In My Star Wars??!"-meltdown by nerdbros. The things you love will never love you back. This bit in the comments feels especially prescient:
yeah that's a good comment, but imo the one that followed it is even better:

quote:

My thoughts exactly (both this post and Leonard’s comment). This is a good distillation what Patton Oswalt said in that Wired post that he got called a hipster for. If all the supposedly enthusiastic new geek overculture does is revert to long-established brands and doesn’t actively seek out experiences beyond the stuff they liked when they were kids — even if that stuff’s (ostensibly) grown up alongside them and has some merit on its own — where are the new ideas and evolutions of genres and archetypes going to come from? If popular culture is increasingly driven by geek culture, and geek culture is largely based off an escape from reality, where are we going to get new works that people can relate to on a level that engages with the world more directly? Where are the geeks who are as enthusiastic about cultivating the legacy of Robert Altman and Kurt Vonnegut as they are about Star Wars and Marvel comics? (I mean, I know a couple, but I’d like to be reassured that there’s more of them.) I like blow-poo poo-up stuff and spaceman hijinx plenty, but if that’s all there is to someone’s entertainment options — not to mention their cultural identity — it’s an unsettling precedent.
unfortunately, we're living in the very pop culture landscape that this guy feared eight years later. well, for the most part. geek culture is the mainstream in pop culture today and it's as bad as this commenter feared, but it's not a true escape from reality because a lot of it has hamfisted (and usually neoliberal) political messaging to give it a veneer of importance and respectability

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

yeah that's a good comment, but imo the one that followed it is even better:

unfortunately, we're living in the very pop culture landscape that this guy feared eight years later. well, for the most part. geek culture is the mainstream in pop culture today and it's as bad as this commenter feared, but it's not a true escape from reality because a lot of it has hamfisted (and usually neoliberal) political messaging to give it a veneer of importance and respectability

It’s hypernormalization (I think that’s the word), where an entire culture retreats from the signs of its immanent collapse or transformation into something unrecognizable by embracing behavior and cultural productions that endlessly repeat the symbols of the dying world. That film is so mired in nostalgia for commercial brands, even utterly empty ones like transformers or 21 jump street, suggests that none of our present systems can handle disruption to capitalism. That the big movies are on a level appropriate for children and embraced as if they are profound political statements suggests that the reality of our present political moment is too terrifying for huffpost bloggers getting paid $75 an article.

Wouldn’t you rather retreat toward a battle you can win, if you thought you had a choice? It’s easy to prove that girls can do it too, and since there’s a conservative version of the same retreat into infantile culture (“no, girls can’t do star wars!“), there’s a ready-made you really want to hate.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
nationalize every sport stadium and make it into public housing

guillotine owners

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ppl make fun of gen xers for not impacting the world but weve spent the last 20 years being forced to endlessly relive their childhoods

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s hypernormalization (I think that’s the word), where an entire culture retreats from the signs of its immanent collapse or transformation into something unrecognizable by embracing behavior and cultural productions that endlessly repeat the symbols of the dying world. That film is so mired in nostalgia for commercial brands, even utterly empty ones like transformers or 21 jump street, suggests that none of our present systems can handle disruption to capitalism. That the big movies are on a level appropriate for children and embraced as if they are profound political statements suggests that the reality of our present political moment is too terrifying for huffpost bloggers getting paid $75 an article.

Wouldn’t you rather retreat toward a battle you can win, if you thought you had a choice? It’s easy to prove that girls can do it too, and since there’s a conservative version of the same retreat into infantile culture (“no, girls can’t do star wars!“), there’s a ready-made you really want to hate.

I found it mostly jarring that TLJ basically has the diverse and progressive good guys all lose miserably and barely escape, leaving the Space Nazis to rampage across the galaxy with impunity with little more than a bloodied nose to be extra aggrieved, but it's all cool and okay because they have the moral high ground and can just do the same thing they did last time all over again. And this is supposed to be a triumph because some angry nerds somewhere didn't like it.

Even being doomed to repeat history is preferable to facing up to the present.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I found it mostly jarring that TLJ basically has the diverse and progressive good guys all lose miserably and barely escape, leaving the Space Nazis to rampage across the galaxy with impunity with little more than a bloodied nose to be extra aggrieved, but it's all cool and okay because they have the moral high ground and can just do the same thing they did last time all over again. And this is supposed to be a triumph because some angry nerds somewhere didn't like it.

Even being doomed to repeat history is preferable to facing up to the present.

The empire deathbed panic is real. Even though, as an adult, his politics gross me out I sometimes I think, why can’t we go back to Bill Clinton? Then if I think about it, I’m really saying why can’t I go back to being a little kid who has no awareness of what’s happening outside of what issues of Rolling Stone and Fangoria tell me? X-Files on Friday and riding my bike.

Politics and ideology are no dang bulwark against fear induced nostalgia creeping in.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Food Boner posted:

nationalize every sport stadium and make it into public housing

guillotine owners
i call dibs on Hal Steinbrenner

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

i call dibs on Hal Steinbrenner

Wait- dibs on guillotining him or dibs on living in him like a tauntaun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i'm a sports fan and even though i'm aware of all the terrible political stuff that's associated with pro sports, i try not to let it get in the way of my enjoyment of the game. but that new Las Vegas NHL team just drives me insane. they're called the Vegas Golden Knights and their logo is Molon Labe poo poo

Bill Foley is the team's owner and as you might expect from that blurb, he is a big time military fetishist

he made his money in financial services and plastered his flag-draped ego all over a subsidiary of that company

there were barely any flag protests in the NHL but that didn't stop Foley from taking a stand against it
https://twitter.com/sports8/status/917193303812014080
i hated them since it came out that Foley wanted to name them the Black Knights and their very successful first season pissed me off

if Gritty is an antifa mascot (i'm tired of Gritty tbh), then the Vegas Golden Knights are for the fascists

of all the bullshit warrior cultures to revere, knights seems to be a particularly dumb one. a knight was just some loving rear end in a top hat with a horse and armor who brutalized peasants