Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ConfusedUs posted:

Rejoice because you've already won?

By losing a ship in the first round like normal because they're still getting two lock focussed shots in the first round and you're still doing almost no damage in return?
IDGI

If you move like they're shooting for range 1 of the board edge, you won't be able to get range 1 if they slow roll, but you won't be able to correct for their slow roll, and they murder you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Nah, you need to measure it out on vassal. If you deploy on your extreme edge they need to go three forwards to get a lock, final. From the extreme board edge a 4 forward gets you into range 1 if they did a 3 forward. A forward boost gets you range 1 if they didn't anything other than full stop.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hoiyes posted:

Nah, you need to measure it out on vassal. If you deploy on your extreme edge they need to go three forwards to get a lock, final. From the extreme board edge a 4 forward gets you into range 1 if they did a 3 forward. A forward boost gets you range 1 if they didn't anything other than full stop.

2 4 die focussed shots is still enough to murder any one of those ships with even a little luck.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
At range 3? 20% to kill a tie, 10% for a fang. Less if the shots are obstructed, which the TIEs at least should be. And you're stressed for next round.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

More likely range 2 I think? And how stressed from a 1 bank or 1 straight?

Not all of those ships can boost...

Or do they all pack ABs for exactly that reason?

Either way, it seems a pretty questionable squad against anything else.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

More likely range 2 I think? And how stressed from a 1 bank or 1 straight?

Not all of those ships can boost...

Or do they all pack ABs for exactly that reason?

Either way, it seems a pretty questionable squad against anything else.

If the Ups go one forward, it's worse for them, Teroch and Fenn can still boost in, at range 1 you've got no hope of killing a fang, you lose a focus on one of your attacks, and on top of that, there's still a 17% chance of losing the shuttle, and because you lost the focus, your chance of killing a tie is still 20%

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oh hey they're doing alt art ships for Adepticon I guess.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/2/15/standing-out-from-the-swarm/

No new mechanical content though.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Aside from paintjobs is there any reason to buy Vulture Droids seperately? At local preorder prices the Servants of Strife box is exactly twice as expensive as a Vulture so you're basically getting a Belbullab for free.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Different unique pilots and upgrades.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

thespaceinvader posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/2/15/standing-out-from-the-swarm/

I'll still buy one when I go. I do hope they have a plan for limiting how many people can buy though. Otherwise they're going to be sold out and up on eBay in hours.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
AdeptiCon (and other similar cons I assume) do a 1 per ticket deal with these sorts of things.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

hoiyes posted:

Different unique pilots and upgrades.

Oh okay, thought those were the same.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bistromatic posted:

Oh okay, thought those were the same.

Specifically, the expac is the only place with Discord Missiles at the very least.

FFG never releases a pack in x wing without at least one thing unique to that pack upon release.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Everyone in my group is going nuts about when Adepticon officially opens because they all want to be first in line to ebay a dozen of those dumb things.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So, is there much for X-Wing going on in Miami/further south? I’m moving there for a job and would like to have a way to keep playing. I’ve found a few scattered references to x-wing tournaments down there, but they seem to be at shops that have since closed.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

thespaceinvader posted:

Gonna have to give 20bux to a bunch of warhammer dudes so I can fly a squadron of these guys and be extremely smug about it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wish me luck all. Wave 1 championship is today, and I'm in 2nd place locally. My goal is finish top 4, ideally win it all but who knows. I'm flying triple t70s, which I know pretty well, and I'm caffinated, and relaxed.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So winning a whateverthehell replaced store champs no longer gives a bye card for whateverthehell replaced regionals? Is the bye card from last years store champ worthless?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

So winning a whateverthehell replaced store champs no longer gives a bye card for whateverthehell replaced regionals? Is the bye card from last years store champ worthless?

Correct and probably.

I'm super disappointed in the new regionals+ structure, although, not too disappointed given I can't really afford to spend £100+ on a tournament weekend at the moment.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So...i just took down 1st place 200-62. I am now in first

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

So...i just took down 1st place 200-62. I am now in first

Excellent!!

Kick some rear end for me. :)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Excellent!!

Kick some rear end for me. :)

And then my dice deserted me. Three R1 shots. Exactly 0 damage out if them

For 2 turns

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

And then my dice deserted me. Three R1 shots. Exactly 0 damage out if them

For 2 turns

At the local monthly tournament last week, for the first time in second edition, I had a game where I did everything right and got betrayed by dice.

I was flying the 5x Strikers + Wampa list.

Had EIGHTEEN red dice (all but one with focus, he had used his for defense), fire at a range 2 fang fighter.

Dealt one damage.

Ended up losing two ships in exchange.

Next round, 12 red dice at a range 2 Capt Seevor. All focused (except the one he jammed).

Dealt zero damage.

Ended up losing two more ships in exchange.

I didn't get more than one hit (or focus) on any roll across all 30 of those red dice. And my opponent only once failed to get at least one evade. It was...sad.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Game 3. Against wedge han and ap5. Biggest win so far

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

bunnyofdoom posted:

Game 3. Against wedge han and ap5. Biggest win so far

Are you running Poe/Nien/Ello? I'm digging the list the few times I've run it but I've got a ways to go before I'm competent with it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Spiggy posted:

Are you running Poe/Nien/Ello? I'm digging the list the few times I've run it but I've got a ways to go before I'm competent with it.

I did indeed

At the end,came in 2nd by 70 MOV.

I feel super happy at my results.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

banned from Starbucks posted:

thespaceinvader posted:

Correct and probably.

I'm super disappointed in the new regionals+ structure, although, not too disappointed given I can't really afford to spend £100+ on a tournament weekend at the moment.

They have confrmed that 2018 Store Championship Byes are usable in a "future" Hyperspace Trial:

quote:

Nonetheless, if you claim the title of 2018 X-Wing Store Champion, you will still be able to leverage your victory toward success at the next level of events. Your victory will earn you a Regional Championship Prize Bye, and though you won't be able to redeem this Prize Bye at a Regional Championship, *you will be able to apply it toward a future Hyperspace Trial.*

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Spiggy posted:

That sounds incredibly fun - like "buy a Resistance conversion kit just to run it" fun. What's your build?

I want to play with some T-65 XXX squads, and if none of those really scratch the X-Wing itch I may jump on that T-70 train...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

BuffaloChicken posted:

That sounds incredibly fun - like "buy a Resistance conversion kit just to run it" fun. What's your build?

I want to play with some T-65 XXX squads, and if none of those really scratch the X-Wing itch I may jump on that T-70 train...

For triple T-70s, you start with Poe, Nien, and Ello.

Put Heroic and S-Foils on all three and Pattern Analyzer on Nien. Black One goes on Poe or Nien, your choice.

That gives you a fair number of points to play with to try other upgrades.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

BuffaloChicken posted:

Poe with Heroic, R4, title, SFoils, and HLC
Nien with Heroic, Patten Analyzer, and SFoils
Ello with Heroic and SFoils

I'm phone posting but I think that covers it. I haven't pulled the jamming cannons out of storage, but you might as well add them since it's free.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

FWIW, my list is what I have been using and what worked for me yesterday
Poe- HLC, Black One, Heroic, R4
Nien - HLC, Heroic, R4
Ello - Jamming, Heroic, R4

Oh, and sfoils on em all.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

FWIW, my list is what I have been using and what worked for me yesterday
Poe- HLC, Black One, Heroic, R4
Nien - HLC, Heroic, R4
Ello - Jamming, Heroic, R4

Oh, and sfoils on em all.

I'm curious how much the HLCs help you. Do you find yourself getting four hits very often? I feel like you're probably only getting a couple HLC shots per game, and when you do, it's probably single-modded, averaging out to ~3 hits.

I feel that Advanced Optics would also help you get to ~3 hits and be a lot more reliable to trigger. You'd lose out on the ability to get to 4 hits, but you'd still be able to crit and also reduce your chances of getting less than 3 hits.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Honestly, depends on my opponents PS. I am finding that I am getting enough to be fun. It absolutely is gold against medium/large ships

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Honestly, depends on my opponents PS. I am finding that I am getting enough to be fun. It absolutely is gold against medium/large ships

I'm glad it's working for you!

We have a guy trying out a very similar triple T70 list, but he has to reposition into those HLCs almost every time (when against small ships, at least), and then has no mods for offense.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Everyone down here is in Hyperspace mode right now and we don't see any T-70's with HLC. Kind of surprised people are playing around with extended stuff when the HS season kicks off in less than a month.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Three reasons for me: 1: The UK System Open is in a month and a half, and is Extended. 2: UKTC is at the start of May, and is Extended. 3: Hyperspace is bullshit garbage.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Raged posted:

Everyone down here is in Hyperspace mode right now and we don't see any T-70's with HLC. Kind of surprised people are playing around with extended stuff when the HS season kicks off in less than a month.

Some ppl don’t care what ‘season’ it is and just want to play with their little plastic spaceships.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Can someone explain to me what Hyperspace is in this context? I haven't been paying attention to tournament stuff.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Can someone explain to me what Hyperspace is in this context? I haven't been paying attention to tournament stuff.

Hyperspace = limited tournament legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

For Hyperspace events, only some things are legal (mainly limiting what Rebel/Scum/Imps get since they have vastly more ships). There's a small number of things not allowed in Hyperspace from the newer factions, and there's a decent number of generic upgrades that are banned as well.

The point cost sheets on FFG's website as well as all the usual squad builders have what's legal and not for Hyperspace on them.