Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i dont like when people erase sfx and replace them with english text because i think sfx is part of the composition and art too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Cleaning is the hardest job and I hate doing it so much.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
They Changed Stuff for Added Emphasis on Slavery Report:

The scene with Filo thrashing against a magic force field while being branded with the slave tattoo was new.

They had Filo learn wind magic for some reason? I guess whirlwinds are easier to animate than a giant bird that jump-kicks everything to death. They also had Raphtalia learn her invisibility spell much earlier. Turning invisible during fight scenes: also very easy to animate.

They added Raphtalia to the dungeon crawl scene where the monsters whisper your fears to you. That meant that Naofumi heard the thing he feared most from Raphtalia: "I'm sick and tired for being Naofumi-sama's slave. I only pretended to become his slave again so I could kill him with my own hands". They didn't use the scene to show us Raphtalia's fears, though, thus maintaining the source material's commitment to never developing her as a character.

Then they rearranged the chapters a bit, meaning I have to wait a whole week for the big fight scene where everything goes wrong. I'm still looking forward to that.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Maxwell Adams posted:

They had Filo learn wind magic for some reason? I guess whirlwinds are easier to animate than a giant bird that jump-kicks everything to death. They also had Raphtalia learn her invisibility spell much earlier. Turning invisible during fight scenes: also very easy to animate.

assuming things are done to expedite animation and framing decisions as lazy is pretty lame when the show has multiple instances of what you'd imply they're shying away from. this ep features multiple bird kicks and raphtalia approached a monster while cloaked for and it failed completely. her multiple acrobatics and swordplays in the fight were visible.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Space Flower posted:

assuming things are done to expedite animation and framing decisions as lazy is pretty lame when the show has multiple instances of what you'd imply they're shying away from. this ep features multiple bird kicks and raphtalia approached a monster while cloaked for and it failed completely. her multiple acrobatics and swordplays in the fight were visible.

Yeah, the Nue fight was well done. But then there was the bandit fight, presented here in it's entirety.

https://i.imgur.com/H0n5xO9.mp4

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah, sort of but that didn't even cross my mind because there it's a transition used for an 'instant loss' joke rather than having depicted a fight at all.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

i dont like when people erase sfx and replace them with english text because i think sfx is part of the composition and art too

Untranslated sfx are just background noise to me and I think that doing a good job scanlating them can really improve the reading experience. I think putting a translation next to the original sfx is awful though and can end up wrecking the composition. I’ve never been interested enough in a sfx to read the tiny text next to it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'd rather fansubbers just make a white box over the art and put in a disclaimer that if you want detail, buy from the retailers with a license.

Also call out retailers who are too drat lazy to do a good job with this.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Captain Cappy posted:

Untranslated sfx are just background noise to me and I think that doing a good job scanlating them can really improve the reading experience. I think putting a translation next to the original sfx is awful though and can end up wrecking the composition. I’ve never been interested enough in a sfx to read the tiny text next to it.

Ur just background noise

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Heck,

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ok, now I understand that one goon earlier. That's one very strong fat chicken. :3:

A pity about literally everything else.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The dub is apparently out, so you can now experience twice the bad anime as before

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It was a bold creative direction, but Vic Mignogna voicing every character just works.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

It was a bold creative direction, but Vic Mignogna voicing every character just works.

Vic really put his heart and soul into a big chicken

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Julias posted:

Cleaners erase the Japanese text and draw back in any details/gaps that might occur as a result-it's very important, otherwise your fan translation will look like crap.

I think the desfinction between the other two is that proofreaders fix typos and grammatical errors, and a quality checker makes sure terms,names,font, and style, are consistent in the work from previous chapters.

In some LN translation groups, proofreaders are actually fixing up chapters worth of machine translations because there is no actual translator.
That was definitely not what I'd signed up for.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

HiveCommander posted:

In some LN translation groups, proofreaders are actually fixing up chapters worth of machine translations because there is no actual translator.
That was definitely not what I'd signed up for.

Ouch. You have my sympathy.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Junpei Hyde posted:

The dub is apparently out, so you can now experience twice the bad anime as before

Went and took a look into the first episode because I hate myself and I know how excited all of you are to hear about it. The dub is pretty bad, and several of the characters seem miscast - Motoyasu is super nasal, and Malty sounds like she has not one mean bone in her body. I think Crunchyroll delayed this dub to get people in the habit of watching the sub, not because it was behind schedule or the voice actors rebelled against an offensive script during production. For everything that's awful with Shield Hero, I think the Japanese voicework is fantastic on this show.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Utterly shocked as to why VAs may phone it in on this project

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
If anything deserves a Ghost Stories kind of gently caress you dub, its Shield Hero.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Utterly shocked as to why VAs may phone it in on this project

Maybe that's why the VAs seem miscast; because nobody good wanted the roles?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Most dub VAs (even good ones!) can't really afford to be picky and will be in all sorts of crap if it pays the bills. Most likely they just have a terrible voice director.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Crabtree posted:

If anything deserves a Ghost Stories kind of gently caress you dub, its Shield Hero.

Nah, give it the Garzey's Wing treatment. Ghost Stories took effort.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Most dub VAs (even good ones!) can't really afford to be picky and will be in all sorts of crap if it pays the bills. Most likely they just have a terrible voice director.

Yea. I don't think they'd phone it in either since it'd reflect badly on them. Just doing the usual stuff for one of a million shows in a season.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I mean it is prob just a bad direction/casting job but that's less funny

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Crabtree posted:

If there was anything that could save this show, it would be the Ghost Stories dub treatment.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
if only we had a voice actor who truly understands what it feels like to be accused of sexual assault and hates women...

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I mean the hilarious thing is that mock dub would just be basically an Abridged take. You don't have to make up crude jokes, just point out how hosed any moment is and how much of a creeper shield hero is.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Crabtree posted:

I mean the hilarious thing is that mock dub would just be basically an Abridged take. You don't have to make up crude jokes, just point out how hosed any moment is and how much of a creeper shield hero is.

So... almost exactly the Ghost Stories dub?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
...the original material for that show was that bad?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Crabtree posted:

Nah it was just boring and stock standard.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Crabtree posted:

The voice actors made in-character jabs at how weird it was that there was so many pantyshots of the 10-year-old girl in the show

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Crabtree posted:

I feel like in saying this you have willed an abridged series into existence and it would be a worse experience than watching regular shield hero.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Not if its just SH is arrested, sent to prison and it ends.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The Ghost Stories dub was a rewrite of the whole script because the guys handling it looked at the original show and realized that there was 0 potential so they just made some dumb poo poo up and it was pretty hilarious.

But it's not an Abridged edit since it's the entire show, just with different dialogue.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can't believe this anime dub has poor voice acting direction.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crabtree posted:

Not if its just SH is arrested, sent to prison and it ends.

Nah, Shield Hero is all about how super unfair and bad everyone else is while the main character is allowed to walk around being a psychopath and not get called on it because of who he is. You can't have a proper misogynistic pity wallow without first ignoring all the ways society is trying to give you a boost.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
crunchyroll lost attack on titan 1+2 and academia season 1

buy they got shield hero

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Relin posted:

crunchyroll lost attack on titan 1+2 and academia season 1

buy they got shield hero

Crunchyroll is the real shield hero.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Whoa now, no need to be THAT rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dammit, my friend just started talking about this new anime he's watching this season that I should check out, it's called shield hero and it's about this guy who got transported to this fantasy world, and-

And I was just like ohhhhhh nooooooo