Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have a hackerspace in your city then donate them. I'd keep one complete shell and board in case you need to RMA a drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

My Netgear RN2120 recognized all 4 drives immediately (didn't need that 3.3V power thing I've heard about)

I'm not surprised. Digging through the spec sheets on a few different sets of rackmount gear (Supermicro and Netapp in particular, since that's what I'm running) it seems that 3.3v rails aren't even present in the power supplies. It doesn't preclude it from existing further in the server as a separate voltage step-down, to be fair.

Thanks Ants posted:

If you have a hackerspace in your city then donate them. I'd keep one complete shell and board in case you need to RMA a drive.

The shells are serialized same as the drives so if you're going to keep them for warranty purposes, might as well keep them all.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

We don't really have a hackerspace type thing AFAIK - small city- I was going to recycle all the enclosures/packing, but keeping one as a just in case isn't a bad idea at all.

Any ideas with the differences between the 2 drives? Same model numbers but physically look different. NAS isn't giving me a warning about mixing the drives so as far as it's concerned it appears to think they are identical even though they are obviously physically different from the casing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

slidebite posted:

We don't really have a hackerspace type thing AFAIK - small city- I was going to recycle all the enclosures/packing, but keeping one as a just in case isn't a bad idea at all.

Any ideas with the differences between the 2 drives? Same model numbers but physically look different. NAS isn't giving me a warning about mixing the drives so as far as it's concerned it appears to think they are identical even though they are obviously physically different from the casing.

Read the labels very closely. I bet the Model Number is nearly the same but the P/N is different. If you can give a side-by-side of two labels we can probably point it out. Likely just two different plants manufacturing the same spec disk.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ones on the left are made in WDs plant and the ones in the right are made in Hitachis plant.

They should function identically.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

FCKGW posted:

Ones on the left are made in WDs plant and the ones in the right are made in Hitachis plant.

They should function identically.

Thanks for the info - any differences in quality between them? The WD plant units show 2-3C hotter than the others (hottest is 41C and been syncing for last 2 hours), but to be fair I think the power supply is on their side of the case too.

What are thoughts on "power saving" options for disk spin down on an NAS?

I do not leave my PCs on all the time, and in fact there might be a few days where it doesn't even turn on any at all... and even when I do I might only go into the NAS 20% of the time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Ooh... the rabid ZFS camp. Ahh, yes. You might also be the person that thinks any single box should take care of your data. Nope, you shouldn't trust them. Back all the poo poo up.
UnRAID is great in many ways, and flexible. Most home users have some pirated movies, and several copies of their data that actually matters. For them, an UnRAID system will do the job. The UnRAID box will allow them to add god-knows-what-size drives in at random, without mirroring, but still retaining parity protection (or indeed, as one should, double parity).

Checksums and snapshots are great things, and ZFS is clearly a better file system than B-Tree File System, but it's not as if UnRAID uses it as a) default (that'd be XFS), or b) trusts it to do anything other than store data on a single drive.

The truth of the matter is, most people don't want to give a crap about how the data is stored on the drives, and UnRAID's parity-by-file system allows you to remove drives at will, and have them be readable. It's just a great solution for the home user.

Edit: not that there's anything wrong with building a ZFS-based FreeNAS system. Hell no. Do that if you want to. Just be aware of the various options and limitations.
Based on the fact that you've responded to me saying RAID is not backup, I don't understand how you can think I would say that any single box should take care of your data.
I don't even care whether you use Linux and its ZFS implementation (though I have opinions on it, they're just that), my point is just that no other filesystem as proven as resilient at actually dealing with all the anti-patterns and pathologies that hardware consistently demonstrates.

When you say that UnRAID retains parity protection, how do you actually know that? Most peoples collections of Linux ISOs stay untouched for the vast majority, if not all, of the time - and when the important data fails, that's backed up elsewhere so you don't hear of any stories where people lost data.
Most documentation seems to define it as striped data (at byte, block, partition(s), file, or folder level seems unclear) with one or more dedicated parity disks, which is ~RAID3/4 but the "only the files on a particular disk are lost in the event of a disk failure"-property is a SPAN-feature, which is completely unrelated to RAID - and people will only complain about that if they lose important data, which as before is backed up elsewhere.
As far as I could find there have been done no tests on it, and there's not even even any source code that someone could pay someone else to port (and thus get an independent audit that the code paths do what the company says they do). So nobody but the actual developer(s?) seems to know about it more than at a very surface level.

You'll notice that in either case I put forth, there's little chance of people complaining.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

slidebite posted:

Thanks for the info - any differences in quality between them? The WD plant units show 2-3C hotter than the others (hottest is 41C and been syncing for last 2 hours), but to be fair I think the power supply is on their side of the case too.

Not really anything worth being concerned about. When WD bought Hitachi each company was already making their own respective NAS drives so they just combined both lines under the same family.

Hitachi is going to be making all the WD mechanicals going forward but that doesn’t speak to anything about their previous drives, just that Hitachi had more enterprise experience to begin with.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Unraid review so far: Like it but have to keep reminding myself it's going to cut down on my Computer Janitoring in the long run. Remember you don't have to gently caress around in /etc/fstab etc when you add a drive to Unraid. That's worth the $89 right there.

Speaking of $89, that's for the 12-drive licence. Part of me wants to go to the unlimited licence immediately but I can only physically get 14 drives into the TS430 before I run out of SATA connections, and have all but filled both 5.25 bays.

All of this aside, any good web based ways to give my Mum easy to use, reasonably secure (i.e. u/p) ways to give my Mum access to the 500gb of old files I managed to save from her old PC? (long story but I cannot easily physically get them to her). Nextcloud/Owncloud generally feel overkill.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 16, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

Speaking of $89, that's for the 12-drive licence. Part of me wants to go to the unlimited licence immediately

All of this aside, any good web based ways to give my Mum easy to use, reasonably secure (i.e. u/p) ways to give my Mum access to the 500gb of old files I managed to save from her old PC? (long story but I cannot easily physically get them to her). Nextcloud/Owncloud generally feel overkill.

If they do good work and you can afford it pay them. Otherwise do it when you need it.

Pay for Dropbox / Google drive / etc. Or mail her something.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The 8TB Elements (not Easystore) is $140 at amazon and B&H:
https://slickdeals.net/f/12838660-8tb-wd-elements-usb-3-0-hdd-139-99?src=frontpage

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D5V2ZXD/
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1415979-REG/wd_wdbwlg0080hbk_nesn_8tb_wd_elements_desktop.html

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

Pay for Dropbox / Google drive / etc. Or mail her something.

Should have said web accessible, but self hosted on the server.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I posted this in PYF Purchases, but I got 2x10tb easystores from best buy which I promptly shucked and installed in a QNAP TS-328 I got from woot.

The QNAP software seems pretty good. The TS-328 is only an arm processor and you can't upgrade the memory, but it probably shouldn't matter for my purposes.

My plan is to create one volume for media files and then one or more volumes for backups that I will have automatic snapshots enabled for. Also hopefully I will get it set up to automatically backup a cheap VPS I'm using to run nextcloud and gitea.

The plan is that I will also copy any particularly important data to the nextcloud server (possibly in an encrypted form) in case the NAS box fails completely, although hopefully I have the drives mirrored which should hopefully protect against a single drive failure.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

DS218+ is down to $249 on Amazon (from $299): https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Bay-DiskStation-DS218-Diskless/dp/B075N1BYWX/

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Heners_UK posted:

Should have said web accessible, but self hosted on the server.

You could add a password to an Apache server and have it just be a login box with a directory listing behind it. Then dump all her files on it.

You'll want to configure it properly and TLS is an absolute must. (certbot by LetsEncrypt is your friend there).

Pay tight attention to detail on a decent guide, don't make anything extravagant and keep packages updated.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Argh actually one bizarre weird thing with the TS-328: in the "Hybrid Backup" application it seems like you can set it up to do a one-way sync to a remote server using rsync over ssh but for some reason it doesn't have an option to do a one-way sync from a remote server to a folder on the NAS using rsync.

I guess I can just create a cron job manually, though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mystes posted:

in case the NAS box fails completely, although hopefully I have the drives mirrored which should hopefully protect against a single drive failure.

You're talking awfully close to raid being backup here. Either you have two copies of the data or you don't, and I would recommend enforced versioning to prevent rogue/buggy processes from deleting/corrupting/cryptolockering everything then having your qnap happily syncs that garbage up to your remote site. :v:

mystes
May 31, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

You're talking awfully close to raid being backup here. Either you have two copies of the data or you don't, and I would recommend enforced versioning to prevent rogue/buggy processes from deleting/corrupting/cryptolockering everything then having your qnap happily syncs that garbage up to your remote site. :v:
The idea was that the qnap would just be backing up the remote site, to which I would manually be adding any important data. The QNAP itself wouldn't be syncing anything to the server.

There shouldn't be any data that I only have one copy of (except maybe for media files I don't really care about losing). Most data will be on my computers which will then be backed up to the qnap. Important data will be on my computers, the remote server, and the qnap, and I will hopefully use snapshots to keep old versions of the backups.

If this still doesn't sound like a good idea do you have any other suggestions?

Edit: I haven't automated it with cron yet, but the way I set it up is that on the vps server there is a script to backup gitea and nextcloud to a separate user folder, and then there is a script on the qnap that connects to the vps as that user and copies the data via rsync, so it's actually impossible for the qnap nas to modify the original nextcloud/gitea data.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 17, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

apropos man posted:

You could add a password to an Apache server and have it just be a login box with a directory listing behind it. Then dump all her files on it.

You'll want to configure it properly and TLS is an absolute must. (certbot by LetsEncrypt is your friend there).

Pay tight attention to detail on a decent guide, don't make anything extravagant and keep packages updated.

Spot on. Simplest is the best sometimes.

You know I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that sooner because I did exactly that with nginx and traefik on my old set-up for something else.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Is getting this with a pair if the shuckable 10 tb best buy wd drives a good idea for a no fuss, reliable server? Looking for something that can torrent, backup / serve files, and something to record camera video.

On the topic of the 10tb drives, there are some people on reddit saying these are ultastars rebranded, not enterprise drives, and have "a click of death" that reportedly kills the drive within a year. Any concern with these drives? Especially with how cheap they are? $170 as of this posting.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bonobos posted:

Is getting this with a pair if the shuckable 10 tb best buy wd drives a good idea for a no fuss, reliable server? Looking for something that can torrent, backup / serve files, and something to record camera video.

On the topic of the 10tb drives, there are some people on reddit saying these are ultastars rebranded, not enterprise drives, and have "a click of death" that reportedly kills the drive within a year. Any concern with these drives? Especially with how cheap they are? $170 as of this posting.

If people are remembering the 2001 click of death to my knowledge that hasn't happened since that model turned a year old.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Hello brain trust, does anyone like the Intel NUC 8 mini as a Plex server? They seem to be very attractively priced for both the box and from a power usage standpoint. For a small number of home users (probably 3 on average) the i3 would seem more than sufficient, correct?

Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GX54W33/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Would it be insane to expand a Linux file server using a Synology that’s mounted over the network? (Perhaps even directly connected)

The application running on it isn’t too intense but it can only work with one file source at a time. It’s licensed per server so wen can’t really just move it with paying $$$ and we can’t tell it to store poo poo on a separate server.

6-8 drive unit running raid 10? Access it using what technology?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Access it using what technology?
If it's just one server connecting to it, iscsi maybe? I think synology has support for it.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Would it be insane to expand a Linux file server using a Synology that’s mounted over the network? (Perhaps even directly connected)

The application running on it isn’t too intense but it can only work with one file source at a time. It’s licensed per server so wen can’t really just move it with paying $$$ and we can’t tell it to store poo poo on a separate server.

If you have any + model I think they all have an expandable connector and you can buy another Synology product that looks just like the main one but is actually just an expansion unit, e.g. the DX517. The new drives could create a new separate volume, or you could even expand your current one onto them but most people recommend against this as the cable/separate unit and power supply are extra points of potential failure.

If you have a cheaper unit and that's not an option, can buy a whole new Synology and mount the volume using NFS from the main one, which also works fine. There are a few extra steps to go through to do it though, I am not sure you can do it 100% through the web interface.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Droo posted:

If you have any + model I think they all have an expandable connector and you can buy another Synology product that looks just like the main one but is actually just an expansion unit, e.g. the DX517. The new drives could create a new separate volume, or you could even expand your current one onto them but most people recommend against this as the cable/separate unit and power supply are extra points of potential failure.

If you have a cheaper unit and that's not an option, can buy a whole new Synology and mount the volume using NFS from the main one, which also works fine. There are a few extra steps to go through to do it though, I am not sure you can do it 100% through the web interface.
I don't think he's talking about expanding a synology nas with another synology nas?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Bob Morales posted:

Doesn't seem crazy to me. I'd probably default to using NFS if that's an option for you, since it seems a bit less fiddly than Samba if you're not dealing with Windows hosts.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If said app does some weird checking and wont write to it over NFS, then iSCSI is also an option.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

mystes posted:

I don't think he's talking about expanding a synology nas with another synology nas?

Yeah I misread it as he wanted to expand his Synology file server with another one, but it's actually a "real" Linux machine he's trying to expand and not a synology. The two cases are essentially the same, he could possibly expand the local raid volume with external drives but most people would probably recommend against it, or he could mount a Synology volume via NFS and it would work fine as a separate mount to his file server.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Smashing Link posted:

Hello brain trust, does anyone like the Intel NUC 8 mini as a Plex server? They seem to be very attractively priced for both the box and from a power usage standpoint. For a small number of home users (probably 3 on average) the i3 would seem more than sufficient, correct?

I have two of those NUCs in i7 variation. The Wi-fI on them is super duper flakey for some reason so you must use it on a wired network configuration. The i3 will be fine unless you wind up transcoding HEVC / h.265 content in which case almost nothing besides a beefy Skylake X can do it properly for arbitrary encoding profiles at real-time (29+) FPS. I use a Haswell i3 for my Plex server and it’s been fine for just two of us.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The other option is to chuck something like a Dell ME4 with SAS interfaces and an HBA into the server. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with the single controller support model of the Synology hardware

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

necrobobsledder posted:

I have two of those NUCs in i7 variation. The Wi-fI on them is super duper flakey for some reason so you must use it on a wired network configuration. The i3 will be fine unless you wind up transcoding HEVC / h.265 content in which case almost nothing besides a beefy Skylake X can do it properly for arbitrary encoding profiles at real-time (29+) FPS. I use a Haswell i3 for my Plex server and it’s been fine for just two of us.

Sounds like more than enough. Thanks!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

The other option is to chuck something like a Dell ME4 with SAS interfaces and an HBA into the server. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with the single controller support model of the Synology hardware

Iscsi will do it. I’ll be up at night worrying about one controller and one power supply....it’s not mission critical though

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Smashing Link posted:

I use an older SFF (HP EliteDesk) that's kinda like a NUC and it works perfectly for PMS. That one (which actually has a different CPU than in that listing, apparently) should be sufficient to transcode 3x FHD streams, nominally. I'd go for it!

eames
May 9, 2009

Found this completely open source ARM NAS, looks interesting though not particularly great value. It appears to be a kickstarter-type affair but they've already shipped three batches.

2GB ECC RAM, Gbit LAN, 4x SATA, USB serial console but a relatively slow ARM CPU

https://wiki.kobol.io

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

eames posted:

Found this completely open source ARM NAS, looks interesting though not particularly great value. It appears to be a kickstarter-type affair but they've already shipped three batches.

2GB ECC RAM, Gbit LAN, 4x SATA, USB serial console but a relatively slow ARM CPU

That's pretty slick. I like non-all-in-one devices because it forces me to treat my important storage different from my unimportant basically everything else. My only gripe would be their specs should show an estimated RAID5/6 MB/minute rebuild time given that is mostly going to be CPU bound on a low power system.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

eames posted:

I'm disappointed they're as expensive as they are, though. Also, since it's ARM it's nowhere NEAR fully opensource.

Not even RISC-V boards are fully opensource yet; the SiFive Unleashed, where at least the SoC itself is free of IP, has propriatary PLLs and other custom chips for circuitry and power control, among other things.
RISC-V hasn't even finished the P, S or V extensions which are important for these storage/virtualization platforms we typically talk about in this thread (ie. AES+SHA2 offload, hardware-accelerated virtualization, optionally a secure enclave so that we can make use of UEFI Secure Boot (via Self-Signed or Microsoft-signed certificates), and other things).

H110Hawk posted:

That's pretty slick. I like non-all-in-one devices because it forces me to treat my important storage different from my unimportant basically everything else. My only gripe would be their specs should show an estimated RAID5/6 MB/minute rebuild time given that is mostly going to be CPU bound on a low power system.
That's where the the price would be justified if it included the ARMv8.2 NEON SIMD which can accelerate AES and SHA2 operations which are by far the most computationally expensive operations of ZFS.

eames
May 9, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

their mdadm wiki indicates ~70MB/s for a RAID6 rebuild. It even seems to support basic ZFS (mirror, no dedup, etc). I'd be more interested if it had a modern 64 bit SoC, 32 bit seems like a dead-end to me.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

eames posted:

their mdadm wiki indicates ~70MB/s for a RAID6 rebuild. It even seems to support basic ZFS (mirror, no dedup, etc). I'd be more interested if it had a modern 64 bit SoC, 32 bit seems like a dead-end to me.
Funny you should say that; Western Digital are betting big on their 32bit RISC-V microcontroller that they just recently launched as fully opensource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

Funny you should say that; Western Digital are betting big on their 32bit RISC-V microcontroller that they just recently launched as fully opensource.

I don't know enough about microarchitectures to comment but IIRC ZFS was designed for 64 bit systems, not sure how well that would work on a 32 bit system in its current state. That'd be my main concern with this little DIY system.