Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bilirubin posted:

They every put the Sam the Record Man sign back up? Seems to me they said they were going to but last time I was there it still wasn't up--was probably a year or two ago though

yeah, it ain't much to look at TBF, it's up on the top of a building off yonge and dundas sq. surrounded by giant led billboards

it's about a dozen stories up so it has no presence any more.

Bilirubin posted:

Remember when Ashley MacIsaac got busted buying crack out there? Good times

i think i missed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

infernal machines posted:

yeah, it ain't much to look at TBF, it's up on the top of a building off yonge and dundas sq. surrounded by giant led billboards

it's about a dozen stories up so it has no presence any more.

Oh FFS its just a fake Times Square wannabe now boooo

I did catch the REM show there which added some culture to Dundas Sq. but still, could be any glass town now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP-pGPB23BE

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:birdthunk:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 01:05 on Jun 16, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Good lord you guys are useless.

There are tons of great places to eat, you could have walked to dozens of them if you had gone five whole minutes outside of the south core tourist trap in pretty much any direction.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Like, holy gently caress have you never traveled anywhere?

Hmm... I'm surrounded by chain restaurants and everything is expensive as poo poo and not one single person I've seen is from here. Man, this city must suck. It's clearly nothing but hotels and Airbnbs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

goddamn idiots leave the suburbs for the first time ever and can't quite wrap their heads around the concept of "neighbourhoods" or something.

what do you mean not every single thing the city has to offer is directly in front of me in this one block i am currently on? there's more of it?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I'm visiting Toronto for the first time this summer so if you're okay with waiting a while, I will have the final word on whether Toronto is good or not by the fourth week of June

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
There's a great little neighborhood at the north end of Toronto, good food and culture, they call it 'Barrie'.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I was there for exactly 48 hours so admittedly it probably wasn't enough time to really explore the nightmarish sprawl

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

THC posted:

I'm visiting Toronto for the first time this summer so if you're okay with waiting a while, I will have the final word on whether Toronto is good or not by the fourth week of June

hit up the toronto LAN thread, we'll hook you up

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Corso Italia takes a bit of time to get to from downtown but it has a ton of great restaurants.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

as does ossington and dundas west and little italy and china town and the danforth, but god forbid you might have to get on a street car or something

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

:same:

Last summer I stayed at the same condo building off which that girl recently threw the chair, 55 Braemar Blvd/Maple Leaf Condos or whatever it was. I couldn't find hardly anywhere decent to eat downtown- basically had to stock up at the grocer in the basement and ended up at the sports bar in the main concourse for one meal.

Everyone says it's like New York, except New York doesn't suck and has places to eat? idgi :shrug:

Oh that's why :cripes:

are you loving serious bro

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol

i stayed in a lovely condo downtown and couldn't find good places to eat

that's like going to chicago, staying in the loop, and complaining that everything closed at 5 pm

if you walked for like 15 minutes or took a subway two stops you could have eaten somewhere other than wahlburgers

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

OI do not include him with me, I know where to go to get what I want in Toronto. I was simply mourning what used to be in particular neighbourhoods that have now gentrified.

I'll be back in May come fight me after a few pints at Granite my treat

e. or the Dodger of course

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh i didn't mean you, i meant the two whiners

you're cool

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THC posted:

At the risk of starting a beer-chat derail, when we were in TO last summer,we spent most of four days wandering from micro brew to micro brew and had a delightful time. Would recommend.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Dreylad posted:

Corso Italia takes a bit of time to get to from downtown but it has a ton of great restaurants.

I used to live at Dufferin and St. Clair can confirm.

My knowledge is fairly old though, was a while ago

oh i didn't mean you, i meant the two whiners

you're cool

Sorry, might be a little high on legal weed

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
It's way too early to be seeing election ads godddamnit

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Reality Winter posted:

It's way too early to be seeing election ads godddamnit

In Alberta we're seeing ads attacking the NDP from third party and an election hasn't even been called.

I don't understand how that's even remotely legal. We're getting close to an endless election cycle of corporations are people, money is speech, and unlimited money superPACs. Especially considering that it has already leaked that Kenney is exchanging promises of future political favors for the advertising.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bilirubin posted:

There is a point to be made that Young St and Queen St are pale shadows of what they once were. OTOH its much harder to buy crack out King West, which isn't terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ1S7LE6vmY

I dunno I took my mom and sister for roti at Ghandis not too long ago and had to explain to them why the man sitting on the street corner with a half a coke can up to his face was emitting such a terrible smell. I'm sure we could've copped if we wanted to.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

There are tons of great places to eat, you could have walked to dozens of them if you had gone five whole minutes outside of the south core tourist trap in pretty much any direction.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:bird:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 01:04 on Jun 16, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Now, one thing we can all agree on is that Montreal is truthfully as bad as you seem to think Toronto is.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goddamn idiots leave the suburbs for the first time ever and can't quite wrap their heads around the concept of "neighbourhoods" or something.

what do you mean not every single thing the city has to offer is directly in front of me in this one block i am currently on? there's more of it?

Montreal is the only good city in canada

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xtal posted:

Now, one thing we can all agree on is that Montreal is truthfully as bad as you seem to think Toronto is.

Frida tacos yumyum and a world class metro and bars with good live music everywhere every night

I'm going to the distillery district in Toronto today so here's hoping it's not so lovely as bloor and dundas and stuff!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao.

you guys are literally the worst tourists

i'm just imagining the ultimate 80s dad stereotype, with like knee-high white socks, sandals, plaid shorts and a straw hat, running around with 20 cameras hanging off their neck

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Feb 16, 2019

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

They just can't handle the #YSL

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao.

i'm just imagining the ultimate 80s dad stereotype, with like knee-high white socks, sandals, plaid shorts and a straw hat, running around with 20 cameras hanging off their neck

whatever drake. Stop pretending it's a good city. It's never going to happen #weTheNirth

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

lmao.

Those kind of people travel to a different Canadian city and eat at Boston PIzza because "they can trust it"

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Those kind of people are coming from inside the thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

paul_soccer10 posted:

whatever drake. Stop pretending it's a good city. It's never going to happen #weTheNirth

how many pictures do you have of yourself looking like you're trying to hold up the leaning tower of pisa?

be honest now

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I went to Xola last night in the Beaches then up to Shore Leave for tiki cocktails and garage music. Solid east end evening.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

Those kind of people travel to a different Canadian city and eat at Boston PIzza because "they can trust it"

i know what i like.

actually, they'd probably be pretty happy staying in the south core, by the ACC and Skydome. that little area is made for them.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol why would any one have an instinct to defend toronto like this

Even if you didnt fail at being the Canadian new York what a self own that would be

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
what the gently caress does that even mean

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stop screaming at me

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Can we please reunite the country ITT with a sing-a-long about a town that truly deserves it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLlsjEP7L-k

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:biglips:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 01:04 on Jun 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. jfc. open google maps or something. god drat.

you could have walked 5 minutes north and found a wealth of restaurants. the city is a grid and there's a 24 hour public transit system. there are also cabs and everyone (mostly) speaks english. i don't know how the gently caress you could possibly get stranded.

the area you stayed in is new-construction condos and a little village made for the suburban tourists who visit for a concert or a hockey game. it sucks because it's made specifically for the kind of people too scared to venture beyond the end of the block. until 10 years ago it was nothing but parking lots, so yes, it lacks the character and diversity of literally any part of the city you could have ventured to.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 18:43 on Feb 16, 2019