Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fighting games everywhere throughout all time and space are all bad, only barely better than MOBAs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the best fighting game is Warriors Orochi 3 duel mode

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sega All Stars Racing needed a story mode that's basically Space Jam with Danica Patrick.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

QuarkJets posted:

fighting games everywhere throughout all time and space are all bad, only barely better than MOBAs

It's always fun to hear about some controversy in the "fighting game scene", as if anyone outside of that tiny group cares at all, lol.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lambert posted:

It's always fun to hear about some controversy in the "fighting game scene", as if anyone outside of that tiny group cares at all, lol.

The speedrunning community is much the same

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

the best was hearing about the fighting game community getting all pissed off over Super Smash Brothers because it borrowed fighting game mechanics but had way wider appeal

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

like imagine if the let's play community got all lovely and pissed off when streaming started becoming popular

oh wait that probably happened

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

the best was hearing about the fighting game community getting all pissed off over Super Smash Brothers because it borrowed fighting game mechanics but had way wider appeal

Smash Bros players don't help their case though. There's some amazing stories that come out of them. Like the pro player who shat the bed of the guy who put him up for the night

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

:wrong:

Not while Heritage for the Future exists, bitch!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

QuarkJets posted:

It’s ok though you can remove the oddities by removing items and make the terrain more fair if you play on final destination (a flat equidistant just map).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If Smash Bros. is anything like One Piece Grand Battle (as I assume it is), I don't want to ever play it.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Smash is a party game for drunk people, people pretending it's sport or even e-sport deserve just mockery

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Melee has grown stagnant to the point where there are discussions of specific character tactics and putting limits on stuff like edge-hogging to take the teeth out of Hungrybox's Puff strategy. That's right- they want to change tournament rules and have "refs" count things like how many times a person has regrabbed a ledge without touching the ground because of one dude.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

StarMinstrel posted:

It’s ok though you can remove the oddities by removing items and make the terrain more fair if you play on final destination (a flat equidistant just map).

Even playing casually you get kinda sick of the items after a while because of how many basically take over the match.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even playing casually you get kinda sick of the items after a while because of how many basically take over the match.

at that point normal people just stop playing smash brothers. the items are supposed to take over the match and make it random and fun, because smash bros is supposed to be casual where anyone can win the match (being a kids game).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

at that point normal people just stop playing smash brothers. the items are supposed to take over the match and make it random and fun, because smash bros is supposed to be casual where anyone can win the match (being a kids game).

Nintendo officially hosts tournaments and makes balance changes depending on the outcomes

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Pyromancer posted:

Smash is a party game for drunk people, people pretending it's sport or even e-sport deserve just mockery

i loled pretty hard the first time i heard that there are actually people who demand you only play on final destination with all the fun drunk poo poo disabled

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

ASenileAnimal posted:

i loled pretty hard the first time i heard that there are actually people who demand you only play on final destination with all the fun drunk poo poo disabled

I've legit met people like this and it's the worst. Also the pro smash scene is full of ego lords. There was a big stink a few years ago because some pros wanted to be moved up on the brackets by default for a certain tourney. Also something about 'warm up stations" just for the top dogs which I imagine is a codeword for anal sex.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
People who talk about the "pro" scene of some video games are the worst, only slightly above the people who are in said pro scenes.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I understand the the current debate gripping the Smash Bros Pro Scene is whether or not Ice Climbers are broken :thunk:

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I understand the the current debate gripping the Smash Bros Pro Scene is whether or not Ice Climbers are broken :thunk:

If you keep having it slap on arbitrary rules to ban some unintended uses of in-game mechanics (wobbling) while allowing other forms of the same loving thing (wave-dashing) in your party battle game to dress it up like a real fighter, then it probably isn't a real fighter.

Play a real man's fighting game like SFV- where it was recently discovered that Blanka has timestop powers.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1095716996929339392

BUUURAAAAANKA-CHAN!!!!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Twelve Batmans posted:

If you keep having it slap on arbitrary rules to ban some unintended uses of in-game mechanics (wobbling) while allowing other forms of the same loving thing (wave-dashing) in your party battle game to dress it up like a real fighter, then it probably isn't a real fighter.

This is a lot of words I don't understand about a game where Pikachu beats up Mario

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Barudak posted:

People say this and then they meet somebody actually good at Soul Caliber. It happened in my group of friends with SC4 where everyone was super into it regularly then one lady spent some time practicing and just bodied anybody else.

A few years ago a friend and I were hanging out and decided to try out the online in soul caliber 4, we both considered ourselves pretty decent in our local fighting games scene. This was years after it's release, and so we only found one single lobby with one single dude. He used elaborate custom characters every single match, like a wonderfully detailed Mario using Astaroths skillset, or a picture-perfect Chun Li. Anyway my buddy and I swapped every match and this dude absolutely bodied us, 0-20, and then kicked us out of his lobby, even though we were the only two accounts in the entirety of xbox live looking for a match at the time. My friend and I still talk about that, it was such an odd and singular experience.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Olaf The Stout posted:

A few years ago a friend and I were hanging out and decided to try out the online in soul caliber 4, we both considered ourselves pretty decent in our local fighting games scene. This was years after it's release, and so we only found one single lobby with one single dude. He used elaborate custom characters every single match, like a wonderfully detailed Mario using Astaroths skillset, or a picture-perfect Chun Li. Anyway my buddy and I swapped every match and this dude absolutely bodied us, 0-20, and then kicked us out of his lobby, even though we were the only two accounts in the entirety of xbox live looking for a match at the time. My friend and I still talk about that, it was such an odd and singular experience.

I played Street Fighter 4 every Friday with a group of buddies before we went out, for I wanna say nearly a year. It was the first fighting game I actually played where I wasn't just slapping buttons randomly and hoping poo poo happens. I fancied myself pretty good at it. Eventually everyone got sort of sick of it and we just starting meeting at the bar instead of meeting up at my house beforehand to play. So I decided to start playing online. I never won a single match. Turns out I was bad at it the whole time, my friends just sucked as much as I did.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

veni veni veni posted:

I played Street Fighter 4 every Friday with a group of buddies before we went out, for I wanna say nearly a year. It was the first fighting game I actually played where I wasn't just slapping buttons randomly and hoping poo poo happens. I fancied myself pretty good at it. Eventually everyone got sort of sick of it and we just starting meeting at the bar instead of meeting up at my house beforehand to play. So I decided to start playing online. I never won a single match. Turns out I was bad at it the whole time, my friends just sucked as much as I did.

i was good at fighting games before online play because of my highly superior social skills and wide group of friends but once netplay allowed any unemployed rear end in a top hat to just play all day, that was it for my fighting game career.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funny thing is the latest Smash game is actually considered pretty good for the competitive scene, they've added a shitload of options to provide more variety for the competitive scene and so far no one's figured out if any characters are overpowered yet so it's not just Fox only, Final Destination. And Pichu is a terrifying adorable big headed electric mouse pirate.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

QuarkJets posted:

It's actually more because the smash community is insufferable. More than the typical pro gamer I mean

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Away all Goats posted:

It's actually more because the smash community is insufferable. More than the typical pro gamer I mean

To use a horribly geeky analogy, it struck me as like card game pro communities; Magic the Gathering is the biggest game in town, and while it has plenty of horror stories, it's big enough to be relatively moderate at least by insular nerd community standards. While the Pokemon card game is popular with kids and some older people who tend to be more self-aware about how they're playing a kids' game, and usually just into it because they like the Pokemon. Yu-Gi-Oh! though is the worst of both worlds with the worst reputation for unwashed manchildren and immature teenagers desperate to prove their children's card game is a serious pursuit for serious people.

I think Smash in this analogy is somewhere between Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! where there's a mix of actual kids, probably some pretty cool people who like a fighting game where Bayonetta can throw Pac-Man off cliffs, and monstrously obnoxious insecure manchildren that tend to be the ones everyone tells stories about.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

then that's something they have in common and should bond over it

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Serephina posted:

And SS2 was way ahead of its time. ... the only real flaw in the game is the too-sharp transition from boring pregame tutorial to dumping you strait in the deep end.

This is often the case with games considered "very good", I think there's something in not babying the audience. I've ALWAYS said with boardgames people are teaching me, do it with all the expansions and do the full fat version, don't hold anything back 'because it's a learning game'. I actually think it goes for computer games, that you actually have a better experience if at the start, when it's new and exciting, you are inundated, because actually you can pick up way more early on than you'd give yourself credit for, and it means then you're playing the full game longer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

!Klams posted:

This is often the case with games considered "very good", I think there's something in not babying the audience. I've ALWAYS said with boardgames people are teaching me, do it with all the expansions and do the full fat version, don't hold anything back 'because it's a learning game'. I actually think it goes for computer games, that you actually have a better experience if at the start, when it's new and exciting, you are inundated, because actually you can pick up way more early on than you'd give yourself credit for, and it means then you're playing the full game longer.

Yeah, and it's a lot better for replay value. Though it's tricky given some people will just try everything out while others will freeze up with choice paralysis or lock themselves into doing things one way without considering any alternatives.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm the biggeest SS2 fanboy there is, but even the devs knew in retrospect that the dive was too sharp. Lots of modern AAA games are wishy-washy in a lot of regards in their pursuit of the widest audience, but at least they're benefitting from experience as games-as-a-medium has been maturing. This past Xmas I bought a bunch of backlog titles such as Witcher3, Fallout: NV, etc, and it was sharp as night and day how much better intros in the recent/more polished titles where than the older ones.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Monopoly is great and a lot of fun. That's my unpopular board game opinion.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

You play with the games actual rules, I assume

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Barudak posted:

You play with the games actual rules, I assume

Get money on free parking? Yeah of course.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

Monopoly is great, but not as good as Talisman the Magical Quest Game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Get money on free parking? Yeah of course.

I am going to shove your house rules so far down your throat you'll poo poo hotels

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Barudak posted:

I am going to shove your house rules so far down your throat you'll poo poo hotels

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Rutibex posted:

Monopoly is great, but not as good as Talisman the Magical Quest Game.

Monopoly is a terrible board game, plenty of better options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

Monopoly is a terrible board game, plenty of better options.

not if you play with the auction rules (and no loving money on free parking :argh:) yeah there are better games than monopoly, but you can get a monopoly set for like $1 and it's fun as hack to play if you follow the proper rules.