Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kurnugia posted:

Oh sure I could, but there isn't really much there to "rebutt" when you're arguing that there are two camps and i'm in the enemys corner. so i think maybe i'll go to bed instead

I mean obviously there's a neutral camp but you have an ideology you're pushing, so you're not neutral. And what you are pushing claims that anyone who opposes Maduro is pushing for a worse off future for Venezuela than those that would have him stay. What else would you call that if not a pro-Maduro position?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Russia isn't exactly a hugely rich country, and they've loaned a lot of money to Venezuela. RT/Sputnik/etc. are all still ostensibly pro-Maduro, but there's a chance that Russia may be considering how much of their money they're likely to see again if Maduro continues to run the country into the dirt, versus how much the opposition will be willing to pay if they take over.

This is a good point. I'm beginning to wonder what the residual value in Venezuela's oil actually is- especially factoring in refinement costs.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Venezuela's oil is cheaper than most of what USA exports today. It's not as cheap as that out of the middle east, but it's far cheaper than >$100/barrel tar sand, which is what "biggest oil producer" USA is doing to be the biggest exporter. Turns out fracking is kinda poo poo compared to literally anything else.

Volkerball posted:

I mean obviously there's a neutral camp but you have an ideology you're pushing, so you're not neutral. And what you are pushing claims that anyone who opposes Maduro is pushing for a worse off future for Venezuela than those that would have him stay. What else would you call that if not a pro-Maduro position?

yeah, that's called a strawman, volk.

one can see maduro for the corrupt dictator wannabe he is, and still see that probably working with mike "what is murder anyway?" pompeo and elliot "LA genocide" abrams isn't going to end all that well either.

meanwhile you're here arguing imaginary maduro supporters.

Truga fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 16, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Truga posted:

Venezuela's oil is cheaper than most of what USA exports today. It's not as cheap as that out of the middle east, but it's far cheaper than >$100/barrel tar sand, which is what "biggest oil producer" USA is doing to be the biggest exporter. Turns out fracking is kinda poo poo compared to literally anything else.

The real problem is extraction—the oil infrastructure has pretty much withered away to nothing, so even though the reserves are still extremely vast it's going to require a shitton of investment to build new wells and repair the port facilities and refineries. Not to say there aren't vast profits to be had, because there certainly are, but any attempt to get more oil out of the country by anyone is going to require a lot of money up-front.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Thanks for your response. Is there a good source for me to learn more about the details of current Venezuelan oil infra?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Discendo Vox posted:

Thanks for your response. Is there a good source for me to learn more about the details of current Venezuelan oil infra?

one issue is that the PDVSA hasn't always been, uh, fully forthcoming with the actual status of current oil infrastructure

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

What if we could get noted humanitarian Curtis LeMay on this Venezuela issue? Is he still around?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

A Russian troll farm posted:

What if we could get noted humanitarian Curtis LeMay on this Venezuela issue? Is he still around?

thanks for your post about an american that died 30 years ago

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

thanks for your post about an american that died 30 years ago

You're welcome. Hey, it's a shame ol' Elliott Abrams didn't die roughly 30 years ago, eh?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Truga posted:

Honest question. Aren't fracking and oil sand production very different things? Oil sands are almost entirely in Alberta, Canada. They are environmentally filthy and extremely expensive to produce. There are some oil sands in eastern Utah, but they are almost entirely undeveloped.

Meanwhile, from what I read, fracking is a different process and breaks even at about 60 dollars per barrel. Venezuelan crude would be less than that if PSUV had maintained the infrastructure and know-how, but not that much less. And while no oil production is clean, safe or environmentally friendly, fracking is not nearly as environmentally despicable as oil sands.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry that was a bit of an incoherent ramble and incorrect too, I'll try to explain.

Fracking is hitting a ceiling of some kind, despite being highly subsidized by investor money, to break even price per barrel would have to be $60 minimum when the fracking was good, but that seems to be slowing down already, because many of the extra wells being drilled are already in the scraping the barrel stage: https://www.slb.com/news/presentations/2018/2018_0904_kibsgaard_barclays.aspx

quote:

The North American production base, which makes up the remaining 20% of global supply, has absorbed close to 70% of the demand growth since 2010, initially supported by the Eagle Ford and Bakken and, more recently by the Permian basin.

Still, the well-established market consensus that the Permian can continue to provide 1.5 million barrels per day of annual production growth for the foreseeable future is now starting to be called into question.

While the current Permian offtake constraints should be resolved by the end of 2019, these challenges will likely have a dampening effect on production growth, wellhead prices, and investment levels in the coming year.

In fact, so far in the third quarter, the hydraulic fracturing market has already softened significantly more than we expected in spite of the overall rig count holding up relatively well.

However, the main challenge in the Permian going forward is more likely to be reservoir and well-performance, as the rate of infill drilling continues to accelerate.

For a resource base where production is entirely dependent on fracture propagation and fracture coverage to drain the reserves, we have yet to understand how reservoir conditions and well productivity change as we continue to inject billions of pounds of proppant and billions of gallons of water into the ground each year.

Still, what is already clear is that unit well performance, normalized for lateral length and pounds of proppant pumped, is dropping in the Eagle Ford as the percentage of child wells continues to increase.

These production headwinds have, in recent years, been overcome by drilling longer laterals and pumping ever greater volumes of sand and water.

However, the use of these remedies seems to be coming to an end, both from a technical and commercial standpoint.

Today, the percentage of child wells being drilled in the Eagle Ford has already reached 70% and, in the 3-year period since this percentage broke the 50% level, we have seen a steady reduction in unit well productivity.

In the Midland Wolfcamp basin of the Permian, the percentage of child wells has just reached 50%, and we are already starting to see a similar reduction in unit well productivity already seen in the Eagle Ford.

This suggests that the Permian growth potential could be lower than earlier expected.
Basically, he argues that they're already reaching the endgame phase of US fracking in the biggest sites, and only countering it with increasingly desperate amounts of effort and new drilling, for now.

And tar sand oil is going to cost $100/barrel or more.

e: I remember reading somewhere that fracking would require at least $80/barrel to stay profitable for the next few years, but I can't find it now.

Truga fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 16, 2019

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Truga posted:

yeah, that's called a strawman, volk.

That's exactly what he said.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
CBC issues reluctant acknowledgment they published misleading & false information
https://twitter.com/CBCWorldNews/status/1096336337467305984

Edit:

Bob le Moche posted:

I wonder how liberal interventionists must feel being proven wrong over and over again by events after every US and NATO imperialist adventure and consistently finding themselves on the wrong side of history, but continuing to place their trust in the same bankrupt worldview every single time nonetheless. Having all their allies be fascists, people like Trump, Bolsonaro, Rubio, etc, and finding themselves defending business owners and international corporations against the third world and working class, and yet managing to convince themselves that they're not tools and have noble intentions. Being constantly lied to and yet always coming back to the same sources as authorities. Having no problem with fellow pro-intervention posters in this thread posting racist poo poo like calling an Asian person "piss-colored" or defending Pinochet and making jokes about throwing people from helicopters, just because they happen to be on the same side with regards to Venezuela and against the evil leftist "tankies".

It's no wonder that a so many middle-class liberals and centrists inevitably graduate to becoming full right-wingers when push comes to shove or they get older. The cognitive dissonance must be unbearable. When you spend your whole life convincing yourself that the decisions your national ruling class is taking for you is what you actually want and rationalizing your own submission to right-wing interests, always punching left, where else can you end up?

Bob le Moche fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 16, 2019

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Because I'd like to understand: the bridge is completely built and functional, and it is just administratively closed? Or is it incomplete somehow, either the bridge or access infrastructure?

So if the took the barriers down, would it be useable or not? Would it be *used* to truck supplies in, if it were open, if a land route was required?

I am aware the sea route exists, but let's ignore that please for establishing the status of the bridge.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Rust Martialis posted:

Because I'd like to understand: the bridge is completely built and functional, and it is just administratively closed? Or is it incomplete somehow, either the bridge or access infrastructure?

So if the took the barriers down, would it be useable or not? Would it be *used* to truck supplies in, if it were open, if a land route was required?

I am aware the sea route exists, but let's ignore that please for establishing the status of the bridge.

My understanding is that the bridge has been built and finished for years but was closed on the Columbian side. However it could have been opened by the Columbian government to allow aid traffic through, which is why it was blocked off by the Venezuelan government.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

They'd need to deal with the armed guards first.

https://twitter.com/BramEbus/status/1095362821876076544

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

beer_war posted:

Again that's just "administratively closed".

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Great news, that LION Maduro won't take poo poo from nobody. His chavista government is so god damne well defined the 22 trillion dollar US economy had to elect a new president just to deal with it and THEY STILL FAILED to get the weapons into the country.
I bet the trucks are full of butt cancer guns and RPGs, but those CIA goons will LIE and tell us its food.. Why food? Our people need no food. CLAP is there for them, PDVSA is there for them.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Yes, that's exactly what I've done.

It's as sound a deduction as concluding a man is gay after walking in on him having an orgy with five men while they occasionally mutter "no homo."

Ah once again with the bi erasure :thunk:, Gotta be one or the other!

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Acebuckeye is correct, the actual bridge is finished. All that's missing are toll booths and such.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Great news, that LION Maduro won't take poo poo from nobody. His chavista government is so god damne well defined the 22 trillion dollar US economy had to elect a new president just to deal with it and THEY STILL FAILED to get the weapons into the country.
I bet the trucks are full of butt cancer guns and RPGs, but those CIA goons will LIE and tell us its food.. Why food? Our people need no food. CLAP is there for them, PDVSA is there for them.

Right wing pro-coup Venezuelan expats: we need a wall at the border!

Also right wing pro-coup Venezuelan expats: blindly open your borders so our guns and bribes totally real food aid can get into your country

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
I don't think any of the expats in the thread are right wing, and it's still not a coup.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

uninterrupted posted:

Right wing pro-coup Venezuelan expats: we need a wall at the border!

who is saying this? this is a totally new one on me

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't think any of the expats in the thread are right wing, and it's still not a coup.

They support cutting government food aid, cutting public housing, removing price controls, and [licks finger and daintily turns page] baby skull smashers; they’re right wing.

Also it’s absolutely a coup; the silly constitutional argument for Fringed Flag Guaido has been flatly disproven and denied by the Venezuelan Supreme Court.

Also before more people cry about it “buh buh buh the supreme court justices are all Maduro supporters” doesn’t make them not-supreme court justices. Honestly it’d be more surprising if they supported the US backed agent trying to overthrow the democratically elected government and install a US puppet state.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

uninterrupted posted:

They support cutting government food aid, cutting public housing, removing price controls, and [licks finger and daintily turns page] baby skull smashers; they’re right wing.

Also it’s absolutely a coup; the silly constitutional argument for Fringed Flag Guaido has been flatly disproven and denied by the Venezuelan Supreme Court.

Also before more people cry about it “buh buh buh the supreme court justices are all Maduro supporters” doesn’t make them not-supreme court justices. Honestly it’d be more surprising if they supported the US backed agent trying to overthrow the democratically elected government and install a US puppet state.

You need help. your susceptibility to propaganda is seriously affecting your judgment.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 16, 2019

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

who is saying this? this is a totally new one on me

Likewise, and I'm one of the few in my old Highschool group who hadn't fled the Country so I usually have a good idea what the snobbier ones would think there...

AstraSage fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 16, 2019

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

You need help. your susceptibility to propaganda is seriously affecting your judgment.

Sorry, who here is supporting American nation building in Afghanistan Iraq Libya Syria Venezuela?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

uninterrupted posted:

It's ironic that "liberal" Americans want democrats to pack the supreme court here but then decry the packing of the judiciary in countries unfriendly to US interests.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/BramEbus/status/1095362821876076544

this (the thing over this specific bridge) is an increasingly hilarious performative mess on both sides

good thing there's not a humanitarian crisis going on or anything

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
There is nothing 'ironic' about it. Part of the point of packing the court is removing its legitimacy and independence and trading it for power. It's a good trade, but it's a trade; you don't get to keep both.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 16, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Discendo Vox posted:

It'd absolutely a coup lmao

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Yeah honestly you are better off arguing that the coup is justified than arguing that it isn't one.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Pedro De Heredia posted:

There is nothing 'ironic' about it. Part of the point of packing the court is removing its legitimacy and independence and trading it for power. It's a good trade, but it's a trade; you don't get to keep both.

Funny how the coup-supporters are brave enough to outright say “the government loses legitimacy when they support people I don’t”.

“The Venezuelan Supreme Court is illegitimate because they don’t support the Baby Smasher’s Golden Boy!”

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

uninterrupted posted:

“The Venezuelan Supreme Court is illegitimate because they don’t support the Baby Smasher’s Golden Boy!”

Are you having a heated posting moment?

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

A Russian troll farm posted:

He'd just bomb all of Venezuela with potato seeds.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Are you having a heated posting moment?

no, nuclear takes is his gimmick, and you people keep biting lmao

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

since we're apparently at this point on the carousel again, maybe someone should make an effortpost that includes the supreme court sequence of events

oh, right

Chuck Boone posted:

The PSUV had lost a battle, but the war had yet to be fought. The party gave away its strategy for counteracting the opposition controlling the National Assembly even before the new legislature was sworn in. On December 23, 2015, in what would become the latest parliamentary session held by the PSUV-controlled National Assembly, the party appointed 13 new magistrates (and 20 substitute magistrates) to the Tribunal Supremo de Justicia (TSJ), Venezuela's top court. The magistrates, who would later be known as the "magistrados express", were appointed in a rush without any of the vetting process required by law. The PSUV even threatened and extorted magistrates into resigning early so that it could re-fill their seats before the opposition took control of the legislature.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao literally all of that happened with the kavanaugh confirmation process

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

since we're apparently at this point on the carousel again, maybe someone should make an effortpost that includes the supreme court sequence of events

oh, right

Lol the first source is a dead link and the second one is basically rich Venezuelan freedomeagle.facebook. Ffs read any other article on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jose posted:

It'd absolutely a coup lmao

Wouldn't it just be an attempted coup since he never gained power?

Pretty poo poo coup anyways as he didnt even start a military action against the government, kinda the whole reason a coup would work.

Just declaring yourself president is more a michael scott than a coup.