Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
he had that web cast where people would drive around in circles faking how they were 'on the way to the airport right now'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/orangedog21/status/1091815700295897088
https://mobile.twitter.com/1BTCequals1BTC/status/1091832279159078912

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

shouldn't that be "฿itch"

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/amasad/status/1092900697752760321

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

shouldn't that be "฿icth"

maybe

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

You can tell how likely adoption of a bitcoin is by the fact everyone I talk to about it instantly bursts out laughing. Next - big - thing. invest now.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

jre posted:

You can tell how likely adoption of a bitcoin is by the fact everyone I talk to about it instantly bursts out laughing. Next - big - thing. invest now.

well, it's like gandhi said: first they laugh at you, then they laugh some more, then they're like "stop dude, i can't breathe", then after a little break they start laughing again

i'm p sure you win after that

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

according to this magazine cover from the pics thread karpeles is a time traveler/immortal wizard???

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

jre posted:

When you say something and everyone bursts out laughing at what you said, that means that it was correct, and very clever.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

lol yeah if you're a small country it's like being a silicon valley startup. disrupt the IMF

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Adopt bitcoin as a small country, and completely destroy it with hundreds of transactions your tiny economy still needs processed every second.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

So close, yet so far.

https://twitter.com/AndrejCibik/status/1096311459116732416

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
0.00000001 shitcoin. otherwise known as "1 shitoshi"

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/APompliano/status/1082399978620891136

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/RickORohs/status/1082408483570503680

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Yeah, I mean, back in 1850 people absolutely laughed at the idea that steel would ever have any practical applications. Then Carnegie came along to prove them all wrong!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, I mean, back in 1850 people absolutely laughed at the idea that steel would ever have any practical applications. Then Carnegie came along to prove them all wrong!

like satoshi, carnegie merely repurposed a bunch of ideas that had been around for decades to produce a minor variation on a concept that had existed for millennia, but poorly educated hero-worshippers now act like he invented the entire concept ex nihil

a good tweet

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

da share z0ne looking rough.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
:gerard: in light of current events, have you ever written up that Venezuelan government cryptocurrency project?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Soricidus posted:

like satoshi, carnegie merely repurposed a bunch of ideas that had been around for decades to produce a minor variation on a concept that had existed for millennia, but poorly educated hero-worshippers now act like he invented the entire concept ex nihil

a good tweet

you'd think these weeb motherfuckers would realize that given their enthusiasm for hanzo steel

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

“what’s this? a highly energy dense substance that can power all sorts of machinery and is bubbling out of the ground? it has a variety of applications and could have a transformative effect on technology, infrastructure and the economy? gently caress that johnny rockefeller you moron”

like who was opposed to loving oil and steel, the very basis of much of the modern world, in the 1800s?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The cast of Atlas Shrugged minus Hank Rearden and Dagny Taggart.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
carolus clusius believed in tulips before most people, and look where that got him

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Tech startup culture has poisoned people's brains. We use the same terminology for new technologies as we do for an app that lets you scream at your friends while sitting on the toilet. Everything is revolutionary, everything is groundbreaking. hell, when you watch the fyre festival documentary, they all talk about how amazing and disruptive their stupid app to let rich shitheads hire celebrities for their birthday party is. It's the same thing with Bitcoin, a stupid little toy piece of software that has no tangible reality, but that proponents talk about like they just invented the polio vaccine.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

jre posted:

as spongebob once said: "they laughed at the guy who invented light bulbs too" i don't know what happened after that as my tv exploded but im sure it would have gone on to explain that if you get laughed at you are 100% right about everything

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Sedge and Bee posted:

Tech startup culture has poisoned people's brains. We use the same terminology for new technologies as we do for an app that lets you scream at your friends while sitting on the toilet. Everything is revolutionary, everything is groundbreaking. hell, when you watch the fyre festival documentary, they all talk about how amazing and disruptive their stupid app to let rich shitheads hire celebrities for their birthday party is. It's the same thing with Bitcoin, a stupid little toy piece of software that has no tangible reality, but that proponents talk about like they just invented the polio vaccine.

was it the culture that poisoned the brains or was it the brains that poisoned the culture?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Boxturret posted:

as spongebob once said: "they laughed at the guy who invented light bulbs too" i don't know what happened after that as my tv exploded but im sure it would have gone on to explain that if you get laughed at you are 100% right about everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M97LMRCINE&t=123s

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

my sister had one of those

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Boxturret posted:

was it the culture that poisoned the brains or was it the brains that poisoned the culture?

Man...I've been working on figuring out this rant for a minute...

Like, I think there are a lot of trends in tech culture that were cool and good when they were part of a minor subculture. Being all about personal liberty, distrusting established knowledge, wanting to break old paradigms and institutions. That's standard subculture stuff. But now suddenly they're in charge of the culture and those same trends are pretty hosed up coming from the top.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

“what’s this? a highly energy dense substance that can power all sorts of machinery and is bubbling out of the ground? it has a variety of applications and could have a transformative effect on technology, infrastructure and the economy? gently caress that johnny rockefeller you moron”

like who was opposed to loving oil and steel, the very basis of much of the modern world, in the 1800s?

when rockefeller was born, there was already small scale oil industry throughout the appalachians, particularly pennslyvania

when rockefeller incorporated his first major oil investments, the oil industry was already pretty big

it's pretty much exactly like how people say satoshi "invented" cryptography in 2009 really

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

elomnusk invented the motorcar and the rocketship

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I really hate how my cash and credit cards electronically broadcast the my traceable ID, recipient, and amount every time I use them oh wait

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
but bitcoin is so convenient! that's why it's going to win against fiat. i loving love how trustless systems mean you have to wait an hour for confirmations. so much better than the oldfashioned approach of trusting visa and banks, so it doesn't matter that the transaction takes a day to process because once you've initiated it you know you're certain to get your money.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Soricidus posted:

but bitcoin is so convenient! that's why it's going to win against fiat. i loving love how trustless systems mean you have to wait an hour for confirmations. so much better than the oldfashioned approach of trusting visa and banks, so it doesn't matter that the transaction takes a day to process because once you've initiated it you know you're certain to get your money.

ah but lighnteninng is coming in a few weeks/decades and will make it so you can do trillions of transactions a picosecond

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
i'm still waiting for the woolong device

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Soricidus posted:

It is interesting to me that no bitcoiner has tried doing something like a banking co-op. Every exchange is a private "corporation" that just holds your funds for trading, and that you have to sell at market rate to make use of. Why not have a bitcoiner bank and credit union, if they hate the big corporate banks so much.

But for some reason, that innovation has escaped them.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sedge and Bee posted:

It is interesting to me that no bitcoiner has tried doing something like a banking co-op. Every exchange is a private "corporation" that just holds your funds for trading, and that you have to sell at market rate to make use of. Why not have a bitcoiner bank and credit union, if they hate the big corporate banks so much.

But for some reason, that innovation has escaped them.

by and large bitcoiners seem to loving hate fractional reserve banking

how would a bank make money if it's not either stealing the funds, or lending them out

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

fees?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i mean bitcoin brings operating costs to zero, logically they should be able to offer all the services of a bank for a couple microcents in fees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

by and large bitcoiners seem to loving hate fractional reserve banking

how would a bank make money if it's not either stealing the funds, or lending them out

The same way exchanges do, by adding a little to every transaction between bitcoin and usd. But yeah, if it was a credit union, the idea would be to lend some of it out, possibly even generating interest.

But you're right, generating interest is the dumb, non productive way of investing money. It's better to buy a commodity and wait for absurd speculative price hikes.