Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Unfortunate but not particularly surprising, given even the original Catherine definitely had a lot of transphobic writing in regards to Erica. I just recently watched it be streamed and I forgot just how many snide remarks Vincent and his friends make about the fact that she's transitioned, and her blossoming relationship with Toby essentially being treated as a big long setup to the punchline of "haha you got tricked into having sex with a trans woman you thought you liked until you found out she was trans!" which is, uh, not okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's not it. It's way loving worse than that. To the point that my ribs towards Katsura Hashino seem a lot less good-natured.

I kind of don't even want it to get posted in here. At least make people go looking for it if they want that awful poo poo in their lives.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah I.. uhh

I found it.

I can edit it out of my post if you want.

gently caress.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Edit: Ok so I just read that the game is out in Japan and from what I read that is super problematic.

Holy poo poo Atlus how do you get worse at this over 8 years? :gonk:

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 16, 2019

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Holy poo poo Atlus how do you get worse at this over 8 years? :gonk:

... why would you operate under the belief that they were going to improve?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheDavies posted:

Once people expect a flat level of mediocrity, a decline beyond that becomes shocking and confusing.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I have seen what this is about. And while I dont understand all the details (plotwise or reasoning-wise). The message it sends alone is yikes...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TheDavies posted:

Normally, Atlus is misguided and tone-deaf. That's what we expect. This time, they've gone into somewhere between shamelessly mean-spirited and downright malicious.

And here I thought the Persona 4 Golden animation would be the worst thing to ever have Atlus's name attached.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

haha, gently caress atlas forever

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Wow I just looked it up and holy poo poo it's like someone specifically went out of their way to be as offensive as possible, especially compared to the extremely obvious twist you could make to the same scenario which would make it a more sympathetic reading.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This does not bode well for any potential treatment of sexuality or gender in SMTV.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I have never played the original Catherine, and now, I will never play Full Body. Thanks for the heads-up.

But, this does not bode well for Project Re: Fantasy... at least, hopefully, we'll have a more... tasteful view of LGBT issues in Persona 6, if we are indeed getting a new director/team/writers on it.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I read about it this morning, and there isn't a YIKES big enough to describe all the added malicious poo poo in combination of the already tasteless poo poo in the original. It's a huge shame because from the LP of the original game I watched years ago, the gameplay is fascinating, and it was enjoyable to watch (until the "punchline" in the end), just... yikes.

I'm hoping Persona 6 has better taste when it comes to LGBTQ issues and people, but after hearing about the harmful poo poo that was added to Catherine, I know that's a really far flung off fantasy.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Eh, I looked into this and it seems like there was an initial leak about an ending and then later on a contradictory claim to the first? Briefly put, according to this second claim the ending depicts a time before Erica transitioned but this was misunderstood as something... much worse. I don't know what's true though.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

GunnerJ posted:

Eh, I looked into this and it seems like there was an initial leak about an ending and then later on a contradictory claim to the first? Briefly put, according to this second claim the ending depicts a time before Erica transitioned but this was misunderstood as something... much worse. I don't know what's true though.

But she's with Toby who the group doesn't meet until after her transition. The pic being before her transition doesn't make sense!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

But she's with Toby who the group doesn't meet until after her transition. The pic being before her transition doesn't make sense!

Hm, got nothing then, guess it's really the lovely other thing.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Plus she says something to the effect of "maybe there'll be a girl soon!" to Toby. Sorta implying that she's gonna transition just to be able to get with Toby which is... still really hosed!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
From what I’ve been able to find. The scene was completely taken out of context. There is a bunch of posts going around explaining it.

TIME TRAVEL happens at the end with Catherine and Vincent going back to his high school days, before the character in question transitioned and the guy who died as part of the story doesn’t die either. The transitioned character don’t transition in this new timeline and are about as happy as when they did. That’s pretty much the whole thing boiled down. Go and look for it if you want the full context of the scene

Basically: scene taken out of context, shitstorm ensued. Wait for the translation to come out before judging it.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kemix posted:

From what I’ve been able to find. The scene was completely taken out of context. There is a bunch of posts going around explaining it.

TIME TRAVEL happens at the end with Catherine and Vincent going back to his high school days, before the character in question transitioned and the guy who died as part of the story doesn’t die either. The transitioned character don’t transition in this new timeline and are about as happy as when they did. That’s pretty much the whole thing boiled down. Go and look for it if you want the full context of the scene

Basically: scene taken out of context, shitstorm ensued. Wait for the translation to come out before judging it.

I am pretty sure this is exactly how it was described from the onset, actually.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Kemix posted:

do you really not see why that's super transphobic

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Kemix posted:

That's not better at all.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Kemix posted:

That's still loving transphobic, dood. People don't just decide to transition (or not) on a whim; it involves HRT and counseling, as well as jurisdiction-dependent processes for name changes and other poo poo.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Mind telling me HOW it’s such? Seems like everyone got a happy ending to me. I didn’t care they were trans back when the game first came out. I don’t personally care now. You folks are entitled to your opinions, I’m entitled to mine. Besides: Atlus, last I checked, didn’t make games to appeal to a western audience anyways. They appeal to the Japanese market first and foremost. And Japan has a completely different culture to America’s to begin with, they deal with the those transitioning there far differently than here.

And I hear your complaints about it, but I was trying to help put things into context, to give a “wait an see” approach to the entire thing. But people are bandwagoning on out of context posts and making a massive stink about it regardless of the context. The important thing should be “is the character happy?” And if they are, does it matter that much that they DIDN’T transition? You always have the option of never triggering the ending, and can always act that the timeline never split.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I see you already have the perfect redtext.

Luarien
Apr 27, 2013

Kemix posted:

Mind telling me HOW it’s such? Seems like everyone got a happy ending to me. I didn’t care they were trans back when the game first came out. I don’t personally care now. You folks are entitled to your opinions, I’m entitled to mine. Besides: Atlus, last I checked, didn’t make games to appeal to a western audience anyways. They appeal to the Japanese market first and foremost. And Japan has a completely different culture to America’s to begin with, they deal with the those transitioning there far differently than here.

And I hear your complaints about it, but I was trying to help put things into context, to give a “wait an see” approach to the entire thing. But people are bandwagoning on out of context posts and making a massive stink about it regardless of the context. The important thing should be “is the character happy?” And if they are, does it matter that much that they DIDN’T transition? You always have the option of never triggering the ending, and can always act that the timeline never split.

"In this better timeline where everyone's happy this person didn't transition" is basically the largest subtext of "being trans is bad" possible without making it explicit.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
"As long as the character is written to be happy, it doesn't matter what kind of message that sends to the audience!"

:jerkbag:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Uhhhhh...

Super pumped for the postgame stuff! It means more Rivers In The Desert!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

And so the conversation of the bad thing that Arist didn't want to fully bring up in the thread has finally become actively discussed. As we all knew it would be.

Despite avoiding YIIK, a new more awful thing has come to roost.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Syka posted:

"As long as the character is written to be happy, it doesn't matter what kind of message that sends to the audience!"

:jerkbag:

That and "Japan is full of noble savages who don't accept decadent Western ideas like 'don't be mean to LGBT people'" and I feel like we're a couple spaces away from Bingo

If you want to play a Japanese game about the trans experience, get one night, hot springs. Then donate the money you would have spent on Catherine: Full Body to a Japanese LGBT charity like ReBit.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

"Trans people are only trans because they're unhappy. There are no happy trans people."

That's literally the ending in a nutshell. Please explain how this isn't transphobic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
All-Out Attack!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It was a fantastic thread Arist.

It was a fantastic LP. We gave the game poo poo on occasion, but it is a good game overall and you did a phenomenal job showing it off. Thank you very much. :)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Kemix posted:

you are an unbelievably garbage poster, holy poo poo

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Didn't that guy already get probated once in this thread? I seem to remember this.

And PS Kemix: the Japanese aren't having any of this either, especially the Japanese Trans community, they don't need a weeaboo to straightsplain why it's not offensive.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Holy poo poo dude how dumb and ignorant can you be? This entire post is laughable.

Arist please lock this thread.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You guys are lucky I'm awake.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kemix posted:

MOTHERFUCKING YIKES WHAT?

Stay the gently caress out of this thread from now on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, let's, uh, not ever do that again

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Thanks for the LP Arist, when are you planning on doing a full LP of Dancing Star Light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Carlioo posted:

Thanks for the LP Arist, when are you planning on doing a full LP of Dancing Star Light?

I can't wait to see Ryuji flail around like an idiot.