Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

He rebranded when he moved into pretending to be the anime in his avatar on VR Chat.

Well that and because someone actually married miku https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/nepbgx/japanese-man-married-hatsune-miku-hologram-anime

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sarsapariller posted:

The real answer is, they don't have one because their game isn't coherent and doesn't respect physical law. In most games this wouldn't be a problem- you'd just make stuff move how you wanted it to move, and gently caress physics. But Chris insisted that the game have all these physically modeled systems including thrusters, and that they actually provide the force that propels the ship around, with the point of origin at the thrusters themselves.

So every thruster has to be modeled on every ship. But they didn't build the ships around this so most of them would be terribly unbalanced.

Also, they decided that there should be a speed limit so that the ships could continue to emulate ww2 dogfights in space.

But wait! Space is real big and they don't want the player to QT everywhere, so now there are TWO speed limits- one for maneuvering and one for flying real fast in a straight line.

But wait! The big "Engine" on the back of the ship would have to be pointed in the direction of travel to slow down rapidly, if it were the only thruster on the ship of that strength. That made combat and also deceleration from super-cruise feel real lovely, so they did the obvious thing- all the thrusters on the ships have exactly the same strength as the main engines.

But wait! That meant that ships could accelerate or decelerate at exactly the same speed in all directions!

"Yes, what's the problem with that?" Asked Chris.

And thus the flight model was born.

Really though they've sold mutually exclusive ideas on that subject for so long they know better than to actually commit to anything and will continually pretend to refactor it until the studio is shuttered. The noclip Mouse Commander thing is there to allow their main demographic, kbm pcmasterracer whales, keep producing milk but they need to pretend to care about the original 'dust off your joysticks' simwhales that made all the noise in the first place that Streisand'd crobbler & co into orbit or that milk will also dry up

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I’ve been playing some Metro Exodus. Pretty good so far, though there are a lot of unskipable cutscenes/barely interactive “gameplay” in the beginning that gets really annoying. It’s like they brought in Chris Roberts to direct the first 2 hours. After that though, it’s pretty much just Metro Last Light with a series of more open/varied environments. If you want more Metro you should check it out, but if you’re looking for a huge departure gameplay wise you’ll be disappointed.

Really I play the series for the environments and art design more than everything, and of course a helping of good old fashion Russian nihilism. The game looks gorgeous on the PC, not as big of an upgrade from LL as it was sometimes pitched, but definitely at the top of recent releases.

Oh and the whole Epic Store freakout that PC gamers are having is loving stupid. It’s completely understandable that other companies don’t want to hand over a big chunk of their revenue to Valve. Steam itself is an anachronistic piece of crap storefront that looks and operates like something from the late 2000’s, it blows my mind that anyone would want Valve to have a monopoly. Hell they only added a refund feature after loving EA had one on Origin for over a year.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 16, 2019

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

colonelwest posted:

Oh and the whole Epic Store freakout that PC gamers are having is loving stupid. It’s completely understandable that other companies don’t want to hand over a big chunk of their revenue to Valve. Steam itself is an anachronistic piece of crap storefront that looks and operates like something from the late 2000’s, it blows my mind that anyone would want Valve to have a monopoly. Hell they only added a refund feature after loving EA had one on Origin for over a year.

I agree.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

colonelwest posted:

I'd rather Valve doesn't gain or maintain a monopoly as the company, while lacking malice, is pretty loving poo poo for no reason. Like here's a great little treat:

Yeah it automatically pops up even if every single activation is legit. I asked my one friend still at Valve and he was like "huh that's weird". And the thing that got everyone to love Valve, the sales, are just turds pushed by PCMR weirdos now. The line "You just own everything so of course nothing good goes on sale / will go on sale / is too recent to go onsale" lost its merits in year five of waiting for poo poo to drop to a good discount but eh, once the money's good, why bother pushing anymore right? You see better discounts on sites that actually need to compete instead of turn on the money faucet. Sales are a joke, the UI is a joke, they put in the market and like just left it there requiring nine million clicks to do anything, etc.

The refund feature was forced on them by legal action. It's kinda weird how in spite of their corporate culture somehow they still turned into a money grubbing flock of goose fuckers but who knows.

But that being said the Epic Store tried to push a bunch of Star Citizenesque eula crap and stuff about agreeing to not sue for any reason and not participating in class action lawsuits.

Granted Valve probably has that too, but eh?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

colonelwest posted:

It is understandable, monopolies are bad!

When a large publisher opens its own storefront they're not trying to liberalise the marketplace though, they're just trying to create their own monopoly (as evidenced by all the "exclusive" fuckery). So lets remember not to gobble too much corporate cock in an effort to lay the boot into Steam.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

What people forget is that devs can just generate steam keys and sell them somewhere else without Steam taking their 30%.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

colonelwest posted:

I’ve been playing some Metro Exodus. Pretty good so far, though there are a lot of unskipable cutscenes/barely interactive “gameplay” in the beginning that gets really annoying. It’s like they brought in Chris Roberts to direct the first 2 hours. After that though, it’s pretty much just Metro Last Light with a series of more open/varied environments. If you want more Metro you should check it out, but if you’re looking for a huge departure gameplay wise you’ll be disappointed.

When you say open environments, do you mean more like Stalker or just bigger Metro levels? I played Metro at a time when I was bored of corridor shooters with waves of enemies and the game never really clicked with me.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

steam's never had a monopoly in any sense. they have a distortion-level market share that means everyone selling games digitally has to compete with them, but there are many places to buy video games that aren't through gabe newell's knife fund and god it is such a rickety platform that cannot be improved because they have such a poo poo company culture.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

tooterfish posted:

It is understandable, monopolies are bad!

When a large publisher opens its own storefront they're not trying to liberalise the marketplace though, they're just trying to create their own monopoly (as evidenced by all the "exclusive" fuckery). So lets remember not to gobble too much corporate cock in an effort to lay the boot into Steam.

It's this.

See also: every other startup

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Also the actual SRD thread about Star Citizen is great. Apparently SC drama is a regular viewing event there. Reminded me of this thread, in a way.
https://old.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/aqk1oe/star_citizen_is_very_much_alive_and_kicking/?st=js708nbc&sh=a70c6b5f

quote:

quote:

ITT - people bashing on Star Citizen. Again. Give it a rest people. Just let people be and do what they want. The people who have spent their money are having fun. That's all that matters.

I definitely am not having fun, I bought in in 2014 when the promise was 2016 alpha, and we've got gently caress all. I don't want to play little bits and pieces of a game and have my progress wiped away every significant patch. I want them to release something I can play, even if it doesn't match all their stretch goals.

oof

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiQv32imK2g

Star Citizen graphics are so last gen

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Quavers posted:

dang star citizen didn't even get a mention for their one big feature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiQv32imK2g&t=192s

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1096482844627611649
https://twitter.com/ShiftyPB/status/1096491773558513666
https://twitter.com/LemSat87/status/1096484101782233089

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/1095837975085281280

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiQv32imK2g

DSOgaming: Star Citizen developer comments on real-time ray tracing; “a massive headache”, “might give us subtle improvements”

quote:

Since real-time ray tracing is the hottest thing these days, some PC gamers wanted to know whether ths highly anticipated space opera game, Star Citizen, will support it. And while we don’t have any confirmation yet, Cloud Imperium’s Ben Parry has shared his thoughts regarding this new tech...

As Parry said when asked about RTX, he expects that if Cloud Imperium uses it, it’ll be a massive headache and time-sink but might give them some subtle improvements in looks or performance if they get it right.

When asked for clarification as real-time ray tracing is said to be easy to implement and could actually make the life of game designers/graphics artists easier, Parry said:

PARRY: “It’s more likely to be a case of “We’ve got a test-bed scene for a ray-based environment lighting technique, it works for one type of light so far, here’s a list of things you can no longer safely have in a room without it breaking, with rough probabilities of how likely we are to work out a solution”

The added headache is that whatever we offered would have to be an “as well” feature rather than an “instead”, developing a feature for a single manufacturer’s top-end cards means also maintaining feature parity for everyone else’s hardware.”

Parry then expanded on what he meant with “as well”.

PARRY: “Sorry yes, I should have been clearer. By “as well” I meant we’d have to maintain support for two modes:
1) A mode that uses raytracing (though probably not exclusively) in some way to get its results
2) A mode that doesn’t use raytracing, but can achieve a similar look without changing the art assets or lighting setup.

As an example, when we ported over the voxel fog, we intended for it to be an “as well” feature because it’s expensive to run, but eventually ran with it as an “instead” feature because it interprets the fog parameters totally differently, and drastically changes what does/doesn’t work in terms of light placement.”

Parry admitted that he’d love to use real-time ray tracing in order to enhance the game’s shadows. Parry also admitted that real-time ray tracing is currently – and for the foreseeable future – the only technique via which game developers can offer correct reflections in their games, however that’s also something that will need additional workload.

PARRY: “The “headache” part is writing all the management code that will be needed, eg. to calculate lighting/shadowing on objects that aren’t on screen.”

In conclusion, Parry admits that real-time ray tracing is an exciting new tech and that he’d love to experiment with it, however it will bring additional headache to the team, and right now Cloud Imperium has other high priority tasks on the roadmap.

Sorry Ben, you don’t get to make that call. Chris is already playing Metro Exodus and once again feeling a crushing sense of inadequacy. And he didn’t need any more of that after the humiliations of playing RDR2 on his Xbox One X.

So get out your calendar, and start booking your massive headaches ahead of time because they’re coming soon to a brain near you.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1079923857862127616

hahahaha

such organic hype

woooooo were all standing heree

woooooooooooooooo standing 2019 just HAVINFG FYUUUUUUUUUN

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheGremlich is thirsty, and i can’t figure out why, because he’s “definitely not” a recruiter for Clown Emporium.

Edit: I feel that software development guy. Serial killers have really made cannibalism supes unpopular, but it makes sense if you consider the socio-economic benefits of long pig. How do you engage people in a serious debate without them accusing you of wanting to eat their plump and beautifully marbled musculature?

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 16, 2019

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The stench of desperation off that guy is making my eyes water over the internet, can't imagine what it'd be like in person.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
He really creeps me out.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Morphix posted:

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1079923857862127616

hahahaha

such organic hype

woooooo were all standing heree

woooooooooooooooo standing 2019 just HAVINFG FYUUUUUUUUUN

Also worth mentioning, in order to extend his dominance over the SC Twitch space, Rex is streaming Saturday and Sunday mornings (starting today) so that other time zones can share the experience.

That’s some fierce hustle right there.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
You can at least respect the work ethic.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I just looked through Rex's Twitter feed and it looks like he has actually been streaming for a few years and was at some point playing PUBG in a semi professional capacity. It looks like he has a fairly sizeable following as well. It also appears he is a cinematographer as well. One thing that is apparent is that he has been dedicated and positive in his social media presence and seems to have avoided using any "gamer language" or do any other embarrassing meltdown activities. Probably a pretty good choice for the new face of CI!G.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Star Citizen: A Horrible Car Crash

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I just looked through Rex's Twitter feed and it looks like he has actually been streaming for a few years and was at some point playing PUBG in a semi professional capacity. It looks like he has a fairly sizeable following as well. It also appears he is a cinematographer as well. One thing that is apparent is that he has been dedicated and positive in his social media presence and seems to have avoided using any "gamer language" or do any other embarrassing meltdown activities. Probably a pretty good choice for the new face of CI!G.

He's an established influencer with a corporate friendly brand. It's pretty sad that the SC community is so insignificant that bringing him on board is enough to warrant this much of an impact.

It's even sadder that he's causing other, even less significant streamers to spend money on obvious bot schemes to compete.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Thronde posted:

Alright Goons, I'm on the hunt for a new time killer. Kind of want something single player / comp stompy like I do in CoH2, but I'd also be interested in a good scifi isometric rpg like the old Baldurs Gates.

Any recommendations?

I enjoy Master of Orion which is basically Civ5 in space. The game doesn't have all the depth people wanted from the classic MoO games, but it was solid.

There is also Transistor which was a game made by the people who did Bastion if you want a more action game.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

ITS WORKING! ITS WORKING!!!!

The poor dumb fucks....

YES! Throw your money at the Crobbler!

Morphix posted:

When you say open environments, do you mean more like Stalker or just bigger Metro levels? I played Metro at a time when I was bored of corridor shooters with waves of enemies and the game never really clicked with me.

Basically it’s bigger more open Metro Levels, with branching paths. Most of it occurs outdoors, but the combat and stealth is mostly the same as Last Light and 2033 Redux just tweaked here and there

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Thronde posted:

Alright Goons, I'm on the hunt for a new time killer. Kind of want something single player / comp stompy like I do in CoH2, but I'd also be interested in a good scifi isometric rpg like the old Baldurs Gates.

Any recommendations?

If you want a really good sci-fi story, you should check out SOMA. It has some of the indie walking simulator tropes that I despise, but the story and setting are so well realized that you get completely absorbed in it after the first hour or so.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Agony Aunt posted:

Hmm... you're making me think... bastard.

But it might somehow be related to the complete rework of missions they are doing. Maybe the original missions were based around the super duper amazing NPC AI that was planned and other features. But when they understood they had to actually ship a product sooner rather than later they understood that nothing was going to be ready for the missons as planned so instead are now going for 100% scripted gameplay with limited choices on the part of the player.

I guess we will see when (if) SQ42 releases.

Outside of the stage demos, we haven't seen a single standard mission/level that you would expect from a regular singleplayer game. The 2012 Crysis island demo NPCs still seem more intelligent than anything I've seen from Star Citizen/Squadron 42. I think they still have a long way to go. Chris is going to go to his usual playbook: Delay, delay, delay. Till the investors can't take it anymore. If he gets kicked out like Freelancer I would not be surprised in the least.

I'm confident they'll find something easy to trip on, assuming the MoCap doesn't do them in first.

TheAgent posted:

- crawling/wall/fast attacking vanduul were too "problematic," will now stand and fire normally
- AI still broken (shooting through walls, instakilling the player, animations not firing correctly, spazzing out into the great beyond on death anim)

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Spiderdrake posted:

I'd rather Valve doesn't gain or maintain a monopoly as the company, while lacking malice, is pretty loving poo poo for no reason. Like here's a great little treat:

Yeah it automatically pops up even if every single activation is legit. I asked my one friend still at Valve and he was like "huh that's weird". And the thing that got everyone to love Valve, the sales, are just turds pushed by PCMR weirdos now. The line "You just own everything so of course nothing good goes on sale / will go on sale / is too recent to go onsale" lost its merits in year five of waiting for poo poo to drop to a good discount but eh, once the money's good, why bother pushing anymore right? You see better discounts on sites that actually need to compete instead of turn on the money faucet. Sales are a joke, the UI is a joke, they put in the market and like just left it there requiring nine million clicks to do anything, etc.

The refund feature was forced on them by legal action. It's kinda weird how in spite of their corporate culture somehow they still turned into a money grubbing flock of goose fuckers but who knows.

But that being said the Epic Store tried to push a bunch of Star Citizenesque eula crap and stuff about agreeing to not sue for any reason and not participating in class action lawsuits.

Granted Valve probably has that too, but eh?

I've had bugs like this in Steam follow me for the entire 8 years I've been a PC gamer across three different PC setups and three different versions of Windows. I'm pretty much over Valve and their business practices at this point, their whole lovely attitude towards the Half Life franchise is the icing on the cake for me. I try to buy games on GOG or other stores whenever I can.

But yeah there's more to the Epic Store drama than I've had time to follow. All I know is that I bought Metro Exodus for $49.99 and had absolutely no problems installing or running it.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

G0RF posted:

Sorry Ben, you don’t get to make that call. Chris is already playing Metro Exodus and once again feeling a crushing sense of inadequacy. And he didn’t need any more of that after the humiliations of playing RDR2 on his Xbox One X.

So get out your calendar, and start booking your massive headaches ahead of time because they’re coming soon to a brain near you.

When I finally got to play SC during the last free fly, I was honestly shocked by how lovely it looked. I was expecting a broken mess mechanically, but I thought I'd at least be wowed by the graphics which Citizens had been taking a victory lap over for years. I have a 1080ti, a new i7 and 32GB of DDR4 ram, I was playing it completely maxed out, and it still looked a generation behind current releases.

They've got to be scrambling behind the scenes to "refactor" the graphics, if they're trying to the launch SQ42 well into the next console generation.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
rex seems to be part of the product.
not consuming the product like your standard streamer.
like he is a person in the sc universe.
and when you see this amazing community and what they do. when you see all the features and endless possibilities in sc.

...well then this is obviously a released game!
no refunds!
no need to add much more!
just release sq42 and finito.
all kickstarted goals and promises over-achieved.
best gaming experience ever.
most active and bestest community ever.
sc mopped the floor with the competition, especially rockstar.
exactly as chris said.
endless virtual universe.
best 5.000$ ever spent!
commandos are celebrating.
goons are crying.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
I'm kind of suprised they didn't go after a non-english speaking streamer. Game seems to be big with the german community, or maybe they could rope some chinese or south american poop sockers.

that way you completely ignore all the pitfalls of your new target audience being exposed to all the old bullshit.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Strange amount of realism not downvoted here:

It's mainly an exercise in 'at least we'll get SQ42 by 2020', and chance to use the new T0 shorthand repeatedly. Plus the OP has cheered himself up with thoughts of server meshing. But still...

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Morphix posted:

I'm kind of suprised they didn't go after a non-english speaking streamer. Game seems to be big with the german community, or maybe they could rope some chinese or south american poop sockers.

that way you completely ignore all the pitfalls of your new target audience being exposed to all the old bullshit.

Germans speak English quite a bit so they can watch.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

#istandwithsaurus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Hey, if he really wanted those viewers he would pay for them like any other shill.