Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Just what the gently caress WOULD you send a family having to deal with that kinda trauma? A map of the mountains, a bag of lime and a spade?

My dentist has been onto me bout my teeth for a year or so now- apparently cos I took a 9" grinder to the face and smashed my nose up with it it means I spend all night breathing through my mouth which is playing merry hell on my gum health and the suggestion was to try and electric toothbrush. Finally got off my arse and bought a Phillips Sonicare unit. Must finally be becoming an adult- $200 on a toothbrush!

I can understand why he said get an electric- last time my mouth felt this clean was after a $400 visit to the oral hygenist! But god drat dont let the brush head back touch your teeth- it just about rattles your brain. And it sounds like someone going to town with a vibrator in the bathroom when your using it too. Which is probably why the manual SPECIFICALLY states that its for your mouth and your mouth only!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have a cheap one of those, it's great for scrubbing small parts but sucks at being an actual toothbrush. I would hope the $200 ones dampen the motor noise better than this thing, but apparently not. It's unpleasant.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Adiabatic posted:

If y'all are interested in sending anything to Tremek and his wife, I've still got his address. I'm not exactly sure what that could be but I'm all ears on suggestions.

If I were them, I feel like I wouldn't be terribly interested in having more poo poo from this forum showing up at my home.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Stop reminding, stop talking and let time march on is my suggestion, traumatic poo poo sucks and it sucks more when you are trying to move on from it and people keep bringing it up. Only time helps with that.

HandlingByJebus posted:

If I were them, I feel like I wouldn't be terribly interested in having more poo poo from this forum showing up at my home.

Exactly.

Ferremit posted:

My dentist has been onto me bout my teeth for a year or so now- apparently cos I took a 9" grinder to the face and smashed my nose up with it it means I spend all night breathing through my mouth which is playing merry hell on my gum health and the suggestion was to try and electric toothbrush. Finally got off my arse and bought a Phillips Sonicare unit. Must finally be becoming an adult- $200 on a toothbrush!

I can understand why he said get an electric- last time my mouth felt this clean was after a $400 visit to the oral hygenist! But god drat dont let the brush head back touch your teeth- it just about rattles your brain. And it sounds like someone going to town with a vibrator in the bathroom when your using it too. Which is probably why the manual SPECIFICALLY states that its for your mouth and your mouth only!

We've been using the Sonicare brushes for around 6 years now, on recommendation from our dentists ("We sell Oral-B, but we all use Sonicare"). They own.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Sonicares are great, and Phillips jas a great warrenty on them too.

The shaft that connects the motor to the head bit broke, and they sent me a brand new one, totally free. Didnt even have to send the old one in.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'm out of the loop and curious what Dave did, but I've pieced together enough that I get the gist and will let sleeping dogs lie.

Press charges Tremek. There is extradition from CA to CO. You can make him pay for his sins.

I'm so sorry your trust and generosity was rewarded this way. :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Powershift posted:

The idea of a private company collecting insanely personal data on you without your consent to sell as a product is pretty hosed.

Even more so when "oops" someone stole all your information, pay us some money to make sure you aren't hurt by our gently caress up!

Equifax is going to eventually profit overall over something that should have put their executives in jail.

One of them (Equifax or Experian) also runs an employment history tool.

I pulled a copy of my report. The bulk of information on it was wrong - showing I was terminated from jobs I left on good terms from (and showing I left at far later dates), showing wrong pay, wrong hire dates, a job I never worked at (someone with a the same name, but a different spelling of my first name), etc. With some of them there's no way to dispute because the companies just flat out don't exist anymore. The others are big companies and just hand wave it away saying "sorry, that's what's in our system, those managers don't work here anymore".

ExplodingSims posted:

Its just insane that a loving random number generator can control so much of your life.

Oh you paid off your credit cards,...Mmmmmm DOWN 40 POINTS, NO RENTALS FOR YOU.

That's funny, I paid mine off and my score jumped by nearly 60 points. :v:

These are low limit cards, maybe that's why? It sent my credit utilization from >100% to 0%.

Bajaha posted:

I've done that. It's at least an easy fix, call your bank first as they may be able to reverse the transaction as it'll still be "processing". In my case it was like a week later and I was wondering why it never showed up, at that point it posted to the incorrect card so my bank told me to call that card and have them reverse the payment on their end, a few days later it was done and I re-entered the payment but this time to the correct card.

I have all of my eggs in one basket. Checking, savings, and both credit cards are all with the same bank. :tinfoil: (at least they're a large, national bank).

That's gonna bite me in the rear end some day, but right now it means I make a payment to a CC one day, and it's fully cleared and posted in ~24 hours (... so I can run it back up that weekend, but hey, finally got a cash rewards card, so I just pay it off every 2 weeks). I can honestly say they're the first big bank I've been happy with, even if my CCs have absurd APRs (but again... paying one off completely every 2 weeks, and not really using the other one, so I just get hit with an annual fee on the rewards card).

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Thirdly, I just bought my in-laws a Brother MFP. Inkjets are the devil and if you don't believe me then go ask SHSC.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0764NWFP8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I managed to get it for $80 though. $143 is too much for a thing that shouldn't exist.

Same one I got for $94.99 via Office Depot 2 days ago.

I've already managed to rack up nearly 300 pages on it. The "700 page starter toner" is showing about 80% left (it doesn't give an exact number, but that seems to be what's left). I've had it 2 days. :laffo: The first thing I did was turn on toner saver mode, though.

I like having paper copies of anything related to income filed away with my taxes (and I'm OCD enough that each year is kept in its own expanding file, each company separated, each type of form separated, and I haven't had a good printer to use in over a year, so I basically had to print an entire year's worth of pay stubs, IRS love letters, etc in a couple of days. I still haven't printed my mileage logs, but I was just gonna do a monthly summary there (if I did daily reports with each stop, I'd blow through half a case of paper).

Still trying to get loving Quickbooks Self Employed to match up with my numbers. For fucks sake, that drat thing created a lot of rules on its own, and really fistfucked my recordkeeping.

Wrar posted:

I use one of my cards as cash and pay it off weekly. It's an insulator between my checking/savings and the world.

That's what I'm doing with my rewards card. The rewards aren't great, but at least if the card gets compromised (and there's been a shitton of skimmers found at gas pumps all around my area), I have a lot more protection than a debit card provides. Plus I can generate one time use virtual numbers for online purchases if it's a sketchy website. :v:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
removed

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MrChips posted:

So with all that's happened here in the last couple of days, I was thinking aloud on Slack that I'm investigating doing a re-issue (more like, a total remake) of the Mad Max beanies, but making it a charity thing where people pay what they want (over a minimum amount of course), and the money raised beyond the cost of making + shipping the new beanies would be donated to an organisation like RAINN.

I understand this is a very sensitive topic right now, so I don't really want to go ahead with it right away without proper blessings, but this way at least we can try and make even an iota of good come out of this.

Take 5 minutes to think about why Immortan Joe's Warboys logo might be in bad taste for that.

E: I never thought about my credit score until I went to get a new twice-as-big mortgage from the bank I'd been with for 15 years, had a credit card with for 15 years that crept from £1k limit to the current £18k limit, had a small mortgage with for 10, overpaid every single month and they said in almost the same breath "you have our highest internal lender trust score" and "we won't give you a bigger mortgage" so I went to Virgin money and they were happy to have me.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 16, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've never paid attention to my credit, but I haven't had debt (besides mortgage) for ~8 years. I have 1 card and use it exclusively just for the points and pay it off monthly. We just got preapproved for a house and wife and I got told we have "old people credit." We're both in our mid 30's. :corsair:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I too apparently look like an old person on paper, I keep getting invites for investment talks/dinner/sales pitch from one of the big banks here that's geared towards 50+ year old investors with portfolios well into the 6 figures. I feel like I should go to one of these one time just to see what they say when I show up and stick out like a sore thumb.

And with regards to credit card limits, yeah I can totally understand how people get in trouble with them. The banks just throw credit your way, and if you don't have the discipline to treat it like a debit card the interest will make the hole soooo deep. I can't honestly say that credit cards limits are based on anything resembling reality, as an absurd anecdote a friend of mine who purchased a dodge viper in cash in his early 20's got denied for a $500 limit card due to lack of credit history.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

I've never paid attention to my credit, but I haven't had debt (besides mortgage) for ~8 years. I have 1 card and use it exclusively just for the points and pay it off monthly. We just got preapproved for a house and wife and I got told we have "old people credit." We're both in our mid 30's. :corsair:

Post matches username.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

HandlingByJebus posted:

Yeah youre probably right. Im grasping at straws on what to do when theres nothing I can do.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I had a thought, is there a warrant for his arrest? Is it extraditable? Maybe we could offer a reward for his return to colorado.

Other than that I have nothing. Maybe thats what tremek wants.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I think it's best to let those involved handle it. Tremek is well aware that AI is a supportive community and would reach out for help if he or his family wanted / needed it.

It's a terrible thing to have happened, and as spectators there is the desire to do something rather than sit on the sidelines. However, often the best way to help is just make it known you're available to help and leave it be.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

cakesmith handyman posted:

Take 5 minutes to think about why Immortan Joe's Warboys logo might be in bad taste for that.

Yes, you're right, that is an ill-considered thing now that I think about it.

As a result, I'm just going to do this:

I made a donation to my local women's shelter, and I'm going to do one more thing - for every person who posts a donation receipt in this thread between now and February 28th, I will make an additional donation of one dollar each. I don't care if you donate one dollar or one million dollars, it will still count.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 16, 2019

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

Yes, you're right, that is an ill-considered thing now that I think about it.

As a result, I'm just going to do this:

I made a donation to my local women's shelter, and I'm going to do one more thing - for every person who posts a donation receipt in this thread between now and February 28th, I will make an additional donation of one dollar each. I don't care if you donate one dollar or one million dollars, it will still count.

Great idea.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah youre probably right. Im grasping at straws on what to do when theres nothing I can do.
I have access to a skid steer and know places in west Texas where no one would ever look for certain buried items. Just sayin'.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I made a donation to RAINN

The attachment should show up soon, if it doesn't I'll upload the pic to imgur.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

heffray posted:

You don't gain much by paying cards off weekly: as long as the statement balance is under 15% of your limit it's fine for your score. If it's high one month, it'll go back to normal next time: utilization doesn't track history.

My best nonsense credit drop recently was my strongest negative factor being that I only had revolving lines (so a more diverse blend would be better), and then going down when I opened a car loan (because its balance was close to the peak balance on that loan).

Just get a card that has some kind of points and use it for poo poo you have to buy anyway.... food and gas (or bus/train/subway fares). As long as you can get something with no annual fee it shouldn't make too much difference. We started putting groceries on a card about 3 years ago (family of 4, 2 hungry teen/pre-teen kids) and just the points ended up being a nice bonus towards Christmas presents. Yeah, the monthly statement balance was unsettling for a while, but it's the same money as long as you pay it off every month.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^^Agreed. Depending how much you use your card, they can really add up. You really have nothing to lose and might actually have some additional benefits like additional warranty, insurance, etc.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Terrible Robot posted:

I made a donation to RAINN

The attachment should show up soon, if it doesn't I'll upload the pic to imgur.

These are loving fantastic ideas.
I'd probably lose my poo poo if someone sent me a 'sorry about your sexual assault' card.

Re: Credit card chat
I pretty much exclusively use my Costco member Visa for everything now and pay it off every time I get paid.
I just redeemed my annual rewards last week: almost $700. I think I've paid maybe $50 in interest this year on it when I really needed to, so it works out pretty good for me.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

mungtor posted:

Just get a card that has some kind of points and use it for poo poo you have to buy anyway.... food and gas (or bus/train/subway fares). As long as you can get something with no annual fee it shouldn't make too much difference. We started putting groceries on a card about 3 years ago (family of 4, 2 hungry teen/pre-teen kids) and just the points ended up being a nice bonus towards Christmas presents. Yeah, the monthly statement balance was unsettling for a while, but it's the same money as long as you pay it off every month.

Yeah this is what I do, and frankly it's foolish to not game card rewards with money you'd 100% be spending anyway. All of my groceries, gas, amazon bullshit, restaurants, car renewals, etc go on a card which I pay off in full once a month. It's a no-fee card so they're not huge rewards, but I just ignore them and once every couple years I'll redeem for a sudden expense, or something fun like a new Makita tool set etc (since I'm a garbage millennial and don't have kids to buy gifts for).

This of course will not work if you're the seething masses and don't understand how credit cards work or have no impulse control etc.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

This was clearly not in response to what's happened here, but:

All you all are doing a lovely thing and fwiw women's shelters almost always need financial support.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Holy poo poo. :eyepop:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

It's an older donation, but it still counts in my eyes. Well done. :)

uma
Jun 27, 2005

and this, this is my book collection...
I normally just lurk AI but I wanted to come out and say y'all is good people. I know you're not doing all this to hear that but I want you to hear it anyways!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I do the Amazon Smile thing where it donates a little of every purchase to a charity, right now it's set up to go to my daughter's high school extracurricular fund but I've been wondering what to switch to after she graduates. Now I know.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

MrChips posted:

$25

I donate monthly to RAINN through work anyway, but consider these matched. There ain't poo poo that can be done from our end, but at least it's something that might help someone else in a lovely situation.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Goons are good people.

In not good people news: somone on FB invited me to a Rick and Morty fan group for some reason and holy poo poo these people are loving losers.

Also preemptive

quote:

holy poo poo these people are loving losers.
:goonsay:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
God damnit I love you guys :kimchi:

Once I get to a computer I'll put mine in. This is a great idea and y'all are right it's way better than sending something directly.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Not much but

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Don't forget to make use of whatever tax relief is available in your locality to increase how much the charity get for your donation.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Previa_fun posted:

In not good people news: somone on FB invited me to a Rick and Morty fan group for some reason and holy poo poo these people are loving losers.

It's like they miss the point that the LAST person you want to be is Rick.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's like they miss the point that the LAST person you want to be is Rick.

Seriously except somehow Rick is a justification of their lovely behavior.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Right, assistance of :911: colonials required. Parents are visiting South Carolina, Georgia and Florida in a few months, probably staying a few weeks, and want to sort out what to do for being online. Way I see it, they could either get a pre-paid SIM of some kind (my mum has an iPhone that's not network locked), or some kind of portable wifi dongle - the latter having the advantage that they can connect their iPads to it as well.

Doesn't need to be massively heavy duty on bandwidth, they're not going to be sat watching HD video 24/7 or anything.

Any recommendations for what their best option is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm pretty sure work has a donation match, I will look into it monday.